HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Article: The Prospect of Best Fit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2012, 09:55 AM
  #1
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Article: The Prospect of Best Fit

Quote:
There’s somebody out there for everyone. The 2013 NHL Draft is no exception.

With a draft as deep and diverse as 2013 has potential to be, it’s hard to imagine any team picking in the top 15 coming away disappointed. An impressive selection of skilled centers, playmaking wingers and mobile defensemen means that most teams should easily be able to fill their most pressing needs within the 1st round. This is my attempt at playing matchmaker.

The Task: Take all the non-playoff teams from 2011/2012 and pair them with the 2013 prospect that best fills their most pressing need. Or in other words, find the best “fit”.
Full article: http://backrowcornerseat.wordpress.c...t-of-best-fit/

Let me know what you guys think. I'm sure there'll be some disagreements. It's a bit difficult not knowing where teams will be picking. Obviously every team would love to have Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov etc, but I tried to identify the teams that need each player the most or where they would fit in the best.

Agree/disagree, let me know.

https://twitter.com/antontibaldi

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:11 AM
  #2
AUAIOMRN
Registered User
 
AUAIOMRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
This makes no sense. Everyone's "best fit" is either Mackinnon or Jones at this point.

Edit: Maybe you mean it in reverse... instead of a team picking a prospect you match a prospect to a team that could use them the most.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:25 AM
  #3
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,838
vCash: 500
I would love getting Erne for Buffalo. Definitely the kind of forward we should look to add, especially with our prospect depth really thin on the wings (Foligno, Armia, Tropp is kind of it).

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:28 AM
  #4
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
This makes no sense. Everyone's "best fit" is either Mackinnon or Jones at this point.

Edit: Maybe you mean it in reverse... instead of a team picking a prospect you match a prospect to a team that could use them the most.
I addressed this in the original post?

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:29 AM
  #5
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,265
vCash: 5555
I like it, good list...

...And Ristolainen's not on there, presumably because his best fit is with Vancouver.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:32 AM
  #6
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 500
Can't argue with Drouin, he's what Habs fans have been clamouring for since G-d knows how long. If he pans out, he'd fit well with Patches and Galy (if he reaches his potential).

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:33 AM
  #7
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I like it, good list...

...And Ristolainen's not on there, presumably because his best fit is with Vancouver.
Thanks! There were a couple guys left over at the end like Morrissey and Ristolainen that look like they will definitely be top 15 picks. However, these 15 teams may not be the exact 15 picking in 2013 so another team who needs a mobile defenceman could definitely be in that range at the real draft.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:28 PM
  #8
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Any Islanders fans want to chime in? Your team was probably the most difficult decision to make. I kept flip-flopping between Nichuskin and a top-4 potential d-man like Morrissey.

In the end, I went with Nichushkin because I think you guys could use a dynamic presence on the wing and his ceiling is through the roof. Also, with the selection of Reinhart last june, that gives NYI Hamonic, De Haan, Reinhart, Donovan in terms of young d-men.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:28 PM
  #9
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I love how Ryan Murray is apparently the only even slightly decent prospect associated with the Blue Jackets.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:32 PM
  #10
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I love how Ryan Murray is apparently the only even slightly decent prospect associated with the Blue Jackets.
who said that?

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:47 PM
  #11
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
who said that?
You did unless you forgot to add Ryan Johansen, Boone Jenner, John Moore, etc. to the list that Mackinnon would be joining to form a solid core, not just Ryan Murray.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
  #12
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
who said that?
That would be the article talking about "building a franchise" and suggesting that Murray and MacKinnon would be the only significant basis on which such a build would occur. Never mind that Murray is one of four, or that it's a little bit early to write off Johansen. Lemme guess: if Murray hadn't been drafted, the "best fit" would have been Seth Jones, right?

I'm just getting tired of DNDTR draft and prospect articles that all imply that if Columbus somehow doesn't get MacKinnon that it would lead to Horrible Failure because There's Nobody Else. At All. Ever. We have enough gambling idiots out there wanting us to trade everything for MOAR PICKS without this kind of encouragement.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:00 PM
  #13
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
You did unless you forgot to add Ryan Johansen, Boone Jenner, John Moore, etc. to the list that Mackinnon would be joining to form a solid core, not just Ryan Murray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
That would be the article talking about "building a franchise" and suggesting that Murray and MacKinnon would be the only significant basis on which such a build would occur. Never mind that Murray is one of four, or that it's a little bit early to write off Johansen. Lemme guess: if Murray hadn't been drafted, the "best fit" would have been Seth Jones, right?

I'm just getting tired of DNDTR draft and prospect articles that all imply that if Columbus somehow doesn't get MacKinnon that it would lead to Horrible Failure because There's Nobody Else. At All. Ever. We have enough gambling idiots out there wanting us to trade everything for MOAR PICKS without this kind of encouragement.
I think you are reading entirely too far into a 2 sentence blurb I wrote about why I think Mackinnon is a good fit in CBJ. If this was a lengthy in-depth analysis written about the CBJ rebuild, you might have a point. The fact is, all I said was Mackinnon and Murray would be a good foundation for the franchise...how you managed to take issue with that, I'm not quite sure.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:19 PM
  #14
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 500
Interesting article. I like the assignments.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
  #15
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,265
vCash: 5555
Some ideas I have for the other teams:

Vancouver: Rasmus Ristolainen- Vancouver has never had a truly dominating number 1 defenseman. Ristolainen, is big, talented, and has a right hand shot(an area of weakness for their roster/prospect pool). Ristolainen could very well be that player.

Chicago: Zach Fucale- Not much explanation needed, Chicago needs a legitimate starting goaltender badly, and doesn't have any promising goaltending prospects in their future. Fucale would make a great pickup for them.

Philadelphia: Josh Morissey- With Pronger's time likely up and not much in terms of defense in their prospect pool, Morissey's offensive skill and high end skating would suit Philadelphia's sytem well.

I don't know enough about a lot of the prospects, but still, it's fun to think about who would do well where, even if it's unlikely that each team picks in the range that would allow it to happen. Although if the entire season is cancelled and there's a draft lottery, then you never know.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:55 PM
  #16
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Some ideas I have for the other teams:

Vancouver: Rasmus Ristolainen- Vancouver has never had a truly dominating number 1 defenseman. Ristolainen, is big, talented, and has a right hand shot(an area of weakness for their roster/prospect pool). Ristolainen could very well be that player.

Chicago: Zach Fucale- Not much explanation needed, Chicago needs a legitimate starting goaltender badly, and doesn't have any promising goaltending prospects in their future. Fucale would make a great pickup for them.

Philadelphia: Josh Morissey- With Pronger's time likely up and not much in terms of defense in their prospect pool, Morissey's offensive skill and high end skating would suit Philadelphia's sytem well.

I don't know enough about a lot of the prospects, but still, it's fun to think about who would do well where, even if it's unlikely that each team picks in the range that would allow it to happen. Although if the entire season is cancelled and there's a draft lottery, then you never know.
Part of the reason an exercise like this makes some sense this year. I like your picks, especially Morrissey in Philly. Good call there.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:10 PM
  #17
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
I could see Darnell Nurse to Philly being a great fit too if they pick later in the 1st round.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.