HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012 Subway Series II

Old
11-09-2012, 08:58 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
What's going on with Murphy? I've seen him play in the past and he was fantastic.

He's certainly got the talent.
Honestly i have no clue. I'm in the same boat as you. He was an absolute rocket before, driving the net and constantly in motion. He seems to be regressing every year. He was flat, standing still, always hesitant, not confident in his plays. He looked like a player that has been told hes good and now expects his natural talent to take him through without actually working. Unless of course hes putting on weight and is losing his mobility. He put the tonugues down on his skates (probably means nothing) but it actually looks like its restricting his foot movements and its simply something a player does to look "cool". Only Chris Pronger really can successfully pull that off and he cut most of the fabric off so he could have full foot mobility. Murphy needs to get his head straight. When i saw him in the steelheads home opener against the Rangers, his skates were not like that.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:00 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Yeah, but I still don't think Spott will cut him. Not after he was cut last year. I'm not saying it's fair. I'm just being honest about what I think will happen.
I agree with you. However, if Spott ever wants a job in the NHL hes going to have to show he can make the tough decisions.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
What's going on with Murphy? I've seen him play in the past and he was fantastic.

He's certainly got the talent.
I don't think he's ever recovered from that huge hit and concussion! I don't think he's been the same player since that...

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:09 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I agree with you. However, if Spott ever wants a job in the NHL hes going to have to show he can make the tough decisions.
His team will also have to be a lot more successful in the playoffs...but that's another thread

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:18 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Prokhorkin won't be there, doubt monarchs gonna let him go, they didn't for the SSS
he should be back in KHL, has no valid contract in AHL/NHL

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Fulcrum

WTF is TSN smoking??? Vasilevski didn't even play lol.

"Vasilevski allowed one goal on 16 shots, while Ustinski was perfect, not allowing a goal on eight shots."

"Monahan fed Graovac, who put a nifty deke on Vasilevski before roofing a backhand shot."

Fact is OHL only scored 1 goal on an undersized, underaged MHL goalie, maybe it's beyond them or something.

And this hole hype about Connor McDavid? Wow, like what the hell did he do on the ice? Sure- 15 year old, But he didn't do ANYTHING. You can stick any talented 15 year old and he'll just skate with the big boys.

There must be some politics behind this insane overhyping.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=409114

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:52 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
WTF is TSN smoking??? Vasilevski didn't even play lol.

"Vasilevski allowed one goal on 16 shots, while Ustinski was perfect, not allowing a goal on eight shots."

"Monahan fed Graovac, who put a nifty deke on Vasilevski before roofing a backhand shot."

Fact is OHL only scored 1 goal on an undersized, underaged MHL goalie, maybe it's beyond them or something.

And this hole hype about Connor McDavid? Wow, like what the hell did he do on the ice? Sure- 15 year old, But he didn't do ANYTHING. You can stick any talented 15 year old and he'll just skate with the big boys.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=409114
Do you remember what its like to be 15 years old? Keeping in mind hes playing against kids with 4 years experience on him... 4 years of development. He played a safe game, got his feet wet. Can't blame him for not taking on the entire team.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Loved Leivo's board work. Extremely impressed after watching last night. That entire line was by far the best for team OHL. Other notables would probably be the shutdown pairing of Percy and De'melo. They absorbed the majority of the important defensive responsibilities and Russia got nothing on the PP.

Brett Richie was very impressive until he took that horrible penalty at the end of the game.

Unimpressed with Strome, Murphy. Koekoek really only got beat once which cost the team a goal, the rest of his game was decent. I looked to Murphy and Strome to run the offense and quarter back this team. They looked completely flat, Murphy is usually flying around the ice, he looked like he could barley skate. I really hope Murphy is cut from team Canada because he was underwhelming in the summer and once again i was extremely dissapointed with his play. Seemed uninspired. There are a lot of kids who can pick up the slack and want to be there. He seems to entitled.
This is the review that matches mine best so far. Leivo and Ritchie were effective with the power/cycling games, but they needed some help, they can't be expected to make and finish plays like some of the flashier players should have been doing. Monahan and Graovac were good too. McDavid had a few flashes, but you can't really expect much at his age.

I think Strome was the biggest disappointment up front for me. He's probably the one out of all of the forwards who is most expected to take a spot on the WJC team, and he was really flat and uninvolved. But that's actually a game I see from him frequently in the OHL too. I was just hoping he'd bring one of his better ones here as opposed to one of his invisible ones. He should be a better player than he is, he has the skills. Guys like Jenner and Laughton weren't as good as I thought they should be either. On top of their games, they should be great options for contributing shutdown/energy guys for Team Canada, and they only occasionally flashed that last night.

Murphy was like that on D too. I've been a big fan of Murphy over the years, but he has had some questionable games in the crunch lately, and I know he's capable of so much more than this. I hope they do bring him to Team Canada... but I hope it's because he's flying and being the star offensive generator he's capable of being instead of what we saw last night.

Koekkoek and Finn made some awful gaffes, Koekkoek's so costly on the tying goal. But I thought Koekkoek also jumped into the play effectively and was maybe the best skating D for team OHL on the night in general. Percy and Demelo were the most effective defensively. But they are sort of a quiet/intelligent combo, not one which intimidates with their style. The OHL D wasn't pressed very hard - I'm not sure how well this group as a whole could have handled the Russians if they had been coming at them full bore.

Subban is a rock and should have no trouble securing the Team Canada goalie spot. Binnington was ok, but the winning goal he let in was awful.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Alberta tough

Great writeup Blind Melon, I would add Puempel as a dissapointment.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulle View Post
they should split Yakupov and Koko they have no chemistry at all.
I agree. Khokhlachev has been flying all over the ice, diving to block shots (with his face if necessary). He is primed to have a great series, but being on a line with Yakupov, he rarely has the chance to touch the puck. He has been driving to the net, which can be suicidal for a little guy, only to watch Yakupov hog the puck, dance around with fancy maneuvers, ultimately creating a turnover that goes back the other way. That has to be frustrating for a team player who makes his living on beautiful combinational plays. If anything, Koko could only be criticized for skating so fast that he sometimes has difficulty controlling the puck in close to the net.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
He was forechecking well and played good on the cycle. Had a nice rush where he went between the legs, but aside from that, not much to report. Russia got dominated but they somehow stole it away from the OHL.
"Dominated" is a subjective term that only has meaning if it brings positive results. Shots on goal and time of possession have different significance to Russian and Canadian teams. In the famous New Year's Eve game between the Canadiens and CSKA in 1975, the Canadiens outshot Red Army 49-13, but the game ended in a 3-3 tie. Last night, the OHL spent a lot of time in the Russian zone cycling the puck, but they were mostly pinned along the boards behind the net, where it is almost impossible to score a goal. The Russians did a good job of preventing OHL forwards from getting off passes to the area in front of the net, and there were very few OHL'ers in front of the net, because they were mostly occupied along the boards.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:44 AM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Honestly i have no clue. I'm in the same boat as you. He was an absolute rocket before, driving the net and constantly in motion. He seems to be regressing every year. He was flat, standing still, always hesitant, not confident in his plays. He looked like a player that has been told hes good and now expects his natural talent to take him through without actually working. Unless of course hes putting on weight and is losing his mobility. He put the tonugues down on his skates (probably means nothing) but it actually looks like its restricting his foot movements and its simply something a player does to look "cool". Only Chris Pronger really can successfully pull that off and he cut most of the fabric off so he could have full foot mobility. Murphy needs to get his head straight. When i saw him in the steelheads home opener against the Rangers, his skates were not like that.
It seemed to me like Murphy was trying to play like a defensive defenseman, almost as if he's trying to prove he's not just all offensive. I don't know, but he look passive when it came to takin an offensive risk.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:45 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
"Dominated" is a subjective term that only has meaning if it brings positive results. Shots on goal and time of possession have different significance to Russian and Canadian teams. In the famous New Year's Eve game between the Canadiens and CSKA in 1975, the Canadiens outshot Red Army 49-13, but the game ended in a 3-3 tie. Last night, the OHL spent a lot of time in the Russian zone cycling the puck, but they were mostly pinned along the boards behind the net, where it is almost impossible to score a goal. The Russians did a good job of preventing OHL forwards from getting off passes to the area in front of the net, and there were very few OHL'ers in front of the net, because they were mostly occupied along the boards.
one of the rare games by Russia, when there was a guy protecting the front of the goal at all times.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:02 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremefartMachine View Post
It seemed to me like Murphy was trying to play like a defensive defenseman, almost as if he's trying to prove he's not just all offensive. I don't know, but he look passive when it came to takin an offensive risk.
Murphy will shine in Russia.Trying to impress HC brass with change to style.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

I saw McDavid have a few nice flashes out there, but what can you expect when you are playing against the best in the world who are mostly 4 or 3 years more physically mature and developed? It's not like he was given very much ice time either. The difference in strength of a 15 year old to a 19 year old is huge. Very few 16 year olds have played for Team Canada and they usually go as the 13th forward. Crosby wasn't the go to guy at 16 either and he turned out okay.

The fact that Connor isn't draft eligible until 2015 and he is doing this well already is crazy. There are very few 2013's playing and most of them are projected top ten draft picks. Do you see any 2014's playing?

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
one of the rare games by Russia, when there was a guy protecting the front of the goal at all times.
That was the most encouraging aspect of the game for me. The defense was quick to the puck, and made forwards pay a price for cycling along the boards. And, as you say, forwards came deep into the zone to protect the slot area in front of the net. The OHL managed a few good chances in close, but not many! Their only goal was on Mironov's giveaway while on the power play.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Isn't he more of a N.A. type player, on small ice an asset, not so much on big ice... Did he play in the SS in August? I don't recall him playing.
He is big and strong, and can play a physical game, but he also has the traditional Russian puck skills that are learned in hockey schools. He did play in August (No. 7), but he didn't score any goals, and wasn't much of a factor in that series.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Nash

Russia should win this series this year handily. This is by far the best squad they have ever brought. Their roster is probably at least 60% of who will be playing at the WJC, and sometimes higher depending on which Major Junior players are with them.

Canada is icing squads from 3 separate leagues and in the OHL and WHL games, they are partially split squads. You might be getting 30% of an actual WJC roster on any given night. Also, Canada is auditioning about 9 goalies over 6 games. Vasilevski was the best goalie in the tournament last year and his backup isn't bad either.

For those ragging on Yakupov, he has looked pretty impressive to me for someone who is being targeted so much. He may be trying to do a little too much at times, but that is also on his coach. It's clear he wants Nail carrying the puck up every PP. I think having him play in this series is very smart for Russia. Malkin and Ovechkin were overwhelmed by Canada's physical tactics in Gold medal games and rendered ineffective. Nail gets 6 warmup games to figure out how to work around them.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Wingsfan2965*

I'd like to take this time to thank Ottawa for Ouellet.

And Jurco...

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Finished watching the replay a few minutes ago. The game was entertaining, was very surprised by the ending. A few quick shots and it's a W. Good for Russians, happy for Ustinsky.

Can't wait for Monday.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Russia should win this series this year handily. This is by far the best squad they have ever brought. Their roster is probably at least 60% of who will be playing at the WJC, and sometimes higher depending on which Major Junior players are with them.

Canada is icing squads from 3 separate leagues and in the OHL and WHL games, they are partially split squads. You might be getting 30% of an actual WJC roster on any given night. Also, Canada is auditioning about 9 goalies over 6 games. Vasilevski was the best goalie in the tournament last year and his backup isn't bad either.

For those ragging on Yakupov, he has looked pretty impressive to me for someone who is being targeted so much. He may be trying to do a little too much at times, but that is also on his coach. It's clear he wants Nail carrying the puck up every PP. I think having him play in this series is very smart for Russia. Malkin and Ovechkin were overwhelmed by Canada's physical tactics in Gold medal games and rendered ineffective. Nail gets 6 warmup games to figure out how to work around them.
Canada probably also has at least 60% of its WJC slots filled in already as well. Its an advantage to be able to look at a broad range of players from all 3 leagues to fill out the other 40% of the slots.

Canada's physical game has been less effective in recent years in affecting the outcome of games. Everybody expects it, and is prepared to deal with it. Some Russian teams (e.g, the 2011 WJC team) were probably more physical than the Canadians. This Russian team has some big, strong players who won't be run out of the rink. Yakupov is not one of them, but he's a tough kid, and he doesn't look a bit intimidated. He just has to stop showboating with the puck, remember that he has other good players on the ice with him, and stop making unforced errors and turnovers.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Just a few comments from last nights game that I saw:

Koekkoek and Murphy were absolutely awful as a pairing. Both of them are excellent skaters (and Murphy seems to have bulked up a lot, looks the same size as Koekkoek out there), but they're play together was disastrous. There were consistently getting caught deep, and neither of them was playing the correct side because they were just all over the place. That being said Koekkoek's individual skill set was more impressive than I thought it was.

Sean Monahan is a heck of a player. His stick is so quick in the defensive zone, he breaks up plays seemingly at will. His anticipation is also phenomenal as evidenced on the short-handed goal. This kid is really a player, on pace for 114pts in the OHL (will probably be less since he will probably make a WJC appearance). I would liken his style most closely to Sean Couturier, but he is better offensively.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:46 PM
PhilaFlyers

How'd Laughton look last night? Saw some of the game but didn't really notice him.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

The next game is on Monday, correct?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Russia had b2b games and the flight. OHL was rested.

Remember that the O players are still involved in their seasons and have to travel to Guelph as well.

The Russian team had played two games together all ready. The Russians should have the advantage, not that it makes any difference nor matters one way or the other.

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote