HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens Training Camp, who makes it?

Old
11-08-2012, 08:48 PM
FlapjackSilver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Silfverberg's got a bit of an advantage going in, as proven by this spring's playoffs.
Don't forget Stone played in the playoffs too, and he played a part in the only goal.

That being said, at this point I don't think any of the rooks could really challenge for a spot at this time. Except for maybe Mika, but that's based off skating alone.

FlapjackSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:10 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Michalek - Spezza - Stone
Latendresse - Turris - Alfredsson
Greening - Regin - Condra
Smith - O'Brien - Neil
Daugavins

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gonchar
Phillips - Wiercioch
Lundin

Anderson
Bishop

Lehner is the best goalie but unfortunately he is stuck in the minors.

Weird male genitalia is awesome. He has the last D spot locked down.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Agree that Weir is making a decent case for himself. I think it will be him or Benoit as the first call up.

On forward, we're in a bit of a tough spot with no one jumping up and grabbing it in the minors. My money is on Stone forcing the team's hand to play him.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:16 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

There is no way Zibby deserves or warrants a spot on the Sens roster to start the season. Silf should get the benefit of the doubt. He at least has shown offensive talent, Zibby has never put up offensive numbers ANYWHERE. And Hoffman should be there. With Stone, Prince and co all in the pipeline, this is a good chance to try Hoffman out with a serious look and he definitely deserves it.

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:58 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
From what I see so far, Zibby looks like he will be a career 3rd liner in the NHL. Pretty disappointing for a 6th overall draft pick. Things could change of course and he is quite young but at the moment that's the feeling I have about him.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
From what I see so far, Zibby looks like he will be a career 3rd liner in the NHL. Pretty disappointing for a 6th overall draft pick. Things could change of course and he is quite young but at the moment that's the feeling I have about him.
Your feeling is premature and thus has very little merit. Things don't just all of a sudden change after this little time, players develop, mature, acclimatize over time and that doesn't mark a change it marks expected adaptation.

You haven't left any time for this. It's like the droves that spewed "Schenn sucks" after one game at the WJC before he went onto a record breaking tournament. You need to wait more than a month for deciding a 19 year olds future. It sounds like common and sense, and it sure as hell is, but common sense evades people when they are reacting emotionally.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Your feeling is premature and thus has very little merit. Things don't just all of a sudden change after this little time, players develop, mature, acclimatize over time and that doesn't mark a change it marks expected adaptation.

You haven't left any time for this. It's like the droves that spewed "Schenn sucks" after one game at the WJC before he went onto a record breaking tournament. You need to wait more than a month for deciding a 19 year olds future. It sounds like common and sense, and it sure as hell is, but common sense evades people when they are reacting emotionally.
Way to not read and understand my post.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Way to not read and understand my post.
Read it over again and would reply the same way.

The only thing 3rd line about Zibanejad is his numbers. If his talent level or approach appears like the zack smiths and Chris Neil's of the world I don't know what more to say to you.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Berserker*

I am not sure how many players they will be able to bring up for camp, but the following players are likely to get somewhat of a look:
Forwards: Mika Zibanejad, Jakob Silfverberg, Mark Stone, Mike Hoffman, David Dziurzynski and Stefan Noesen

Defensemen: Patrick Weircioch, Andre Benoit, Mark Boroweicki, Eric Gryba and Cody Ceci

I find it a bit surprising that many posters still feel that Silfverberg is the front runner to earn a roster spot. Having watched all the preseason games, 7 full regular season games and parts of the other three regular season games, I don't feel he is ready to make the jump. Now Silfveberg hasn't played poorly, he just hasn't had much of an offensive impact. I think anyone penciling him on the first line hasn't watched many games this season.

I haven't seen Ceci or Noesen play this season so I can't assess their chances of making it. Although I feel that it is likely that they will either remain with or be returned to their respective junior teams.

Zibanejad has played well, but he has been a bit snake bitten offensively. There is a chance that he cracks the sens roster, but I think that the sens management will want to be patient with him. As a 6th overall pick, they will want to identify the best opportunity for Zibanejad to realize his offensive potential. I think that it is probable that he will remain in Bingo, that is unless playing in the NHL somehow ignites his offensive flair.

Stone was playing great before going down with an injury and there seems to be a bit of a void in Bingo since then. His ability to be an offensive catalyst as well as his overall hockey IQ and positioning will give him a good shot to push for a roster spot.

Up front that just leaves Hoffman and Dziurzynski. Hoffman has played great and should definitely get a look in camp. Dziursynki has also played very well this far and deserves a solid look. They will likely both take spots on the team if by chance injuries have forced some openings in the bottom six. Regardless of whther they crack the roster out of camp, I think that they will both force there way onto the roster at some point this season (if there is a season) and make some of the current bottom sixers (Regin, Condra, Daugavins) expendable.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
I see something different. I see a player who is doing a lot of things correctly, who is just a bit snake bitten. Zibanejad just needs to adjust his timing in order to make more of an offensive impact. He could, and should, up his physical game though. He is a big hitter and if he started running people over, it might create a little bit of extra space for him that might allow him to get his offensive game going. Or his physical play might lead to forcing some key turnovers which in turn may help him get better offensive opportunities.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:18 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
So how would a prospective training camp work? Would players like Ceci, Noesen, and Puempel leave their junior teams to attend or what?

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
So how would a prospective training camp work? Would players like Ceci, Noesen, and Puempel leave their junior teams to attend or what?
As far as I understand teams listed juniors they want to leave eligible for mid-season recall for training camp. We put down Ceci and Noesen, but that doesn't mean we have to bring them, just that we can.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:40 PM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I see something different. I see a player who is doing a lot of things correctly, who is just a bit snake bitten. Zibanejad just needs to adjust his timing in order to make more of an offensive impact. He could, and should, up his physical game though. He is a big hitter and if he started running people over, it might create a little bit of extra space for him that might allow him to get his offensive game going. Or his physical play might lead to forcing some key turnovers which in turn may help him get better offensive opportunities.
Sounds eerily similar to Mike Fisher doesnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Read it over again and would reply the same way.

The only thing 3rd line about Zibanejad is his numbers. If his talent level or approach appears like the zack smiths and Chris Neil's of the world I don't know what more to say to you.
To me he is a hybrid between Fisher and Vermette. He plays the same north-south style of game Fisher has and he is a Fisher lite in terms of physicality. He somewhat has the hands of Vermette but seems to be a step behind at times.

Again, this is what I am seeing him as, AS OF RIGHT NOW. But it could all change and I hope he becomes a top 6 forward for us in the future.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Sounds eerily similar to Mike Fisher doesnt it?

To me he is a hybrid between Fisher and Vermette. He plays the same north-south style of game Fisher has and he is a Fisher lite in terms of physicality. He somewhat has the hands of Vermette but seems to be a step behind at times.

Again, this is what I am seeing him as, AS OF RIGHT NOW. But it could all change and I hope he becomes a top 6 forward for us in the future.
So he's pretty much like Michalek. But has better shooting ability.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:34 AM
operasen

If this was the plan

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gonchar
Phillips - Borowiecki
Lundin

then it needs adjusting now, especially if Gonchar stays in Russia.

Methot - Karlsson
Phillips - Benoit
Lundin - Borowiecki
Wiercioch

I love the prospects after they are developed in two years, and I love the leadership Benoit is showing in Binghamton which would be missed. This group will be in tough on a lot of nights, and Binghamton will really be thin.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:04 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
If this was the plan

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gonchar
Phillips - Borowiecki
Lundin

then it needs adjusting now, especially if Gonchar stays in Russia.

Methot - Karlsson
Phillips - Benoit
Lundin - Borowiecki
Wiercioch

I love the prospects after they are developed in two years, and I love the leadership Benoit is showing in Binghamton which would be missed. This group will be in tough on a lot of nights, and Binghamton will really be thin.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

That's a horrific defense.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:18 PM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
I think Zibanejad and probably Silf are better served with the better part of the year in the AHL. Let them learn the North American style and rink size with minimal pressure then come up next year (or late this year). However, I think Silfverberg will make it, although Hoffman could steal that last spot.

Michalek - Spezza - Latendresse
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Smith-Regin-Condra
Greening-JOB-Neil
Daugavins

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Phillips - Lundin
Boro
The more I see Stone play, the more I think he'd look fantastic next to Spezza.

Michalek-Spezza-Stone
Latendresse-Turris-Alfie

Rest the same.

OgieO is online now   Reply With Quote