HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

Just like I trust what I see in Morrow and DP.
Do explain.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:59 PM
dogthateats

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Quick hits on Pens top prospects:

Maatta-2 G, 14 A in 17 games. His offensive instincts are becoming as good as his defensive. Complete steal at 22

Harrington- 1 G, 4 A in 17 games. Not there to score though. He will be Orpik's replacement. Plays a similar game and has similar leadership qualities

Pouliot- 5 G, 13 A in 17 games. Exactly what he was offered to be, a high-powered offensive D. Will probably become a player like Letang or a better Goligoski.

Tangradi- 6 G, 0 A in 10 games. Finally he doesn't suck anymore, and he will probably be Sid's winger once the lockout ends. I'd love to see a Tangradi-Crosby-Bennett line this year

Bennett- 1 G, 5 A in 10 games. Not a bad start at all to his rookie season. He will probably have about 20 goals, 40 assists this year in the AHL. Won't be NHL ready this year

Despres- 0 G, 2 A in 10 games. Has been terrible offensively, but has been good on the D side. Only good part is that he is 100% guaranteed a spot on the Pens this year

Morrow- 1 G, 1 A in 8 games. He has really been a disappointment this year. People overrate him really badly, he hasn't shown last year's training camp since last year

Dumoulin- 0 G, 4 A in 9 games. He has been solid on a bad Baby Pens team. He will probably be the top candidate for a call-up this year wgeb injuries arise (like they always do)

I wish the Pens would have drafted Forsberg with the 8th pick. Not that I don't like Pouliot, but we need a winger for Sid, and he fits the mold very well. Oh well, at least we will have a monster D group in about 3 years.
I disagree

Old
11-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Tangradi knows how to move the puck quickly, is a beast along the boards, is a load to handle in front of the net, and knows how to score down low. His hockey sense is his best attribute.

Those types of assets don't grow on trees.

He may not be an elite talent, but he has a blend of skill that is uncommon.

The haters can rag on, but I know what I've seen.

Just like I trust what I see in Morrow and DP.
Seems like we're pretty much of a mind on the guy. I just also want some forwards who can generate offense on their own rather than being link-up players for our superstars (even Neal falls into this category, as a guy who needs an elite center to find him in the soft spots).

Old
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Seems like we're pretty much of a mind on the guy. I just also want some forwards who can generate offense on their own rather than being link-up players for our superstars (even Neal falls into this category, as a guy who needs an elite center to find him in the soft spots).
I forgot to mention the biggest reason I am chill about things - I am confident Shero gets another top six guy when this mess ends.

Between Neal, Tangradi, Kunitz and the new winger, they should be more than ok until BB is ready.

But ya, I hope the new winger is creative, no doubt.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
I forgot to mention the biggest reason I am chill about things - I am confident Shero gets another top six guy when this mess ends.

Between Neal, Tangradi, Kunitz and the new winger, they should be more than ok until BB is ready.

But ya, I hope the new winger is creative, no doubt.
That's key. Hopefully he'll pull another rabbit out of his hat.

I know I've harped on this for awhile, but a Pominville/Whitney/Versteeg type would be ideal.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
I know I've harped on this for awhile, but a Pominville/Whitney/Versteeg type would be ideal.

What whaaaaaaaaaat? Versteeg seems like the best of those to me. He's not the best option to pair with Sid or Geno... but the best of those three.

Any way, I severely disagree with Whitney and Pominville.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Do explain.
I think Morrow can step into the NHL right now and have a dramatic effect on their PP, transition game and puck retrevial.

The mistakes he would make in his own end, would be more than offset by his unique skills. Despres really struggled in his own end in the A, but was a better player in the NHL. I firmly believe the talent on the big Pens, would help Morrow thrive.

As for DP, ppl just need to watch him before being mad about who they passed on. He has elite skill and ppl will love him when they actually get to see what he can do.

I'm even loving Maatta now as I said, so I'm as happy as I have been with the farm, since I started following the Jacks.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

What whaaaaaaaaaat? Versteeg seems like the best of those to me. He's not the best option to pair with Sid or Geno... but the best of those three.

Are you saying Versteeg is better than Pominville? Sure, Versteeg is a more realistic target to acquire; but he's simply not as good at hockey as Pominville. It's really not even debatable. Pominville would easily be our 4th best forward; and closer to Neal than Kunitz.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 11-08-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I think what burns people's a** most is Foreberg, not Grigs, though I think most would've been very hppy with Grigs if taken 8th overall. He'd be a killer with Malkin. Neal would then be paired with Sid.
Both would have been nice F's to have. As someone that likes a line of Kunitz-Crosby-Sutter, I wouldn't have mind going after Girgensons too. That kids got a nasty streak you cant teach.

I don't mind DePo at 8 though. IMO his skill is that high end. His sense and skill for passing is elite.

Did anyone hear what the Pens offered Ott when going after Tarasenko or what the Rangers offer was for Jordan Staal?

Old
11-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
I think Morrow can step into the NHL right now and have a dramatic effect on their PP, transition game and puck retrevial.

The mistakes he would make in his own end, would be more than offset by his unique skills. Despres really struggled in his own end in the A, but was a better player in the NHL. I firmly believe the talent on the big Pens, would help Morrow thrive.

As for DP, ppl just need to watch him before being mad about who they passed on. He has elite skill and ppl will love him when they actually get to see what he can do.

I'm even loving Maatta now as I said, so I'm as happy as I have been with the farm, since I started following the Jacks.
I pretty much agree with you. Though I have no idea why you were ever down on Maatta at all. Maybe it's because I heavily watch the OHL compared to any other junior league, but was it his offensive decisions? I still have no idea why he fell so much, his injury shouldn't have caused that, but Philly messed up big not picking him...then again, they picked a player that fit their system, their element

....kinda like us...maybe these professionals know something hmm

Old
11-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:

They're all offense-generating, skilled RH shot wingers. I really have no idea what you could have against Whitney or Pominville as players, other than that Whitney's old and obviously not going to get traded by a team that just signed him.

But we're moving from prospect discussion here, so maybe state your case and we'll drop it.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:39 AM
penguins2946*

ET will finally get a shot this year, either along Crosby and Dupuis or Malkin and Neal. ET will probably be Kunitz's replacement anyway, because that is what they brought him in to do. Even though it is unlikely, I'm starting to have a feeling that Letang may be traded if he wants a lot more money than $6 million. We have the D in the system that could replace him (Morrow, Pouliot, Dumoulin to an extent, Maatta maybe). I REALLY hope that doesn't happen. And on another topic, I don't think Bortuzzo will be the replacement for Orpik. Bortuzzo has taken forever to develop, and still isn't really ready. I think Ruopp is a much more likely candidate. I've also heard that Dumoulin could be the next Orpik, but I don't think that is an accurate comparison. And is anyone else discouraged with Despres' season this year? Seems pretty bad for a NHL ready Dman.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I stand corrected on Pominville. I just thought he was a grinder, but he's actually a pretty decent playmaker.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:32 AM
phantommullet

What would Letang get us in a trade if we can't resign?

Old
11-09-2012, 07:01 AM
bigd

Quote:

I would have to disagree. Morrow is not ready. He's had trouble with an aggressive forecheck in the games i've watched so far. He has struggled defensively against stronger more mature players in the AHL. Despres is much bigger and stronger and that's why his transition to the NHL game has been smoother. I will agree that his PP play is NHL material but until he can round out his game he's not ready for full time NHL duty. Dumoulin has shown to be much more "NHL ready" and I could see him getting some NHL time this season.

Last edited by bigd: 11-09-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old
11-09-2012, 07:12 AM
bigd

Quote:
ET will finally get a shot this year, either along Crosby and Dupuis or Malkin and Neal. ET will probably be Kunitz's replacement anyway, because that is what they brought him in to do. Even though it is unlikely, I'm starting to have a feeling that Letang may be traded if he wants a lot more money than $6 million. We have the D in the system that could replace him (Morrow, Pouliot, Dumoulin to an extent, Maatta maybe). I REALLY hope that doesn't happen. And on another topic, I don't think Bortuzzo will be the replacement for Orpik. Bortuzzo has taken forever to develop, and still isn't really ready. I think Ruopp is a much more likely candidate. I've also heard that Dumoulin could be the next Orpik, but I don't think that is an accurate comparison. And is anyone else discouraged with Despres' season this year? Seems pretty bad for a NHL ready Dman.
Despres is doing fine. I think all the players struggled a little to start off the season with all the new players on the team. Strait didn't look like an NHL D-man either in those first few games but they are starting to get things in order. I don't think this WBS team is going to score many goals so they are going to be need good goaltending and defense to be successful this season. Great goaltending always makes things look better. The team works harder and plays better when their goalie is covering up for their mistakes. Zakoff has been awesome.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Jacob

I agree. I've only seen parts of two games but Zatkoff has been excellent. He looks like a possible NHL backup because of his size and sound technique.. things Curry and Thiessen don't really have. The only thing I haven't gotten a read on yet is how he handles the puck outside the crease.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
I pretty much agree with you. Though I have no idea why you were ever down on Maatta at all. Maybe it's because I heavily watch the OHL compared to any other junior league, but was it his offensive decisions? I still have no idea why he fell so much, his injury shouldn't have caused that, but Philly messed up big not picking him...then again, they picked a player that fit their system, their element

....kinda like us...maybe these professionals know something hmm
Maatta was kind of a bonehead when I watched him play, but looked better in the playoffs. I just didn't like his skating and decision making. But I knew he was really young so I wasn't overly upset, just not thrilled with the pick.

This year, I'm really enjoying his game and his skating, while different than what I'm used to, is quite smooth. I'm pretty happy with the pick now.

Because of my beliefs in Tangradi and Shero making a move for a top six winger, I see no reason not to be stoked about this farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I would have to disagree. Morrow is not ready. He's had trouble with an aggressive forecheck in the games i've watched so far. He has struggled defensively against stronger more mature players in the AHL. Despres is much bigger and stronger and that's why his transition to the NHL game has been smoother. I will agree that his PP play is NHL material but until he can round out his game he's not ready for full time NHL duty. Dumoulin has shown to be much more "NHL ready" and I could see him getting some NHL time this season.
Both of us didn't think Despres was even close to NHL ready this time last season, with good reason. He had too many boneheaded plays, his positional game was poor, and even his offensive talents weren't shining.

Morrow, like I said in the Summer, played in a vastly different system with the Hawks. So I felt it could take a month or up to an entire year before he looked comfortable in his own end.

Guys like Fowler and Subban are still trainwrecks in their own end a majority of the time, but their other assets are why they excel in the NHL. I have little doubt Morrow could play sheltered minutes and have an impact on the big club.

You are right though, Dumoulin looks to be more steady, but keep in mind he played in a copycat system. This is all a moot point, because now with the addition of Dumoulin, Bort and Strait deserving their respective shots, the emergence of Despres, etc. it is going to be tough for Morrow to get any big club minutes, unless there is a big rash of injuries (rather not see that).

Old
11-09-2012, 09:06 AM
bigd

Quote:
Maatta was kind of a bonehead when I watched him play, but looked better in the playoffs. I just didn't like his skating and decision making. But I knew he was really young so I wasn't overly upset, just not thrilled with the pick.

This year, I'm really enjoying his game and his skating, while different than what I'm used to, is quite smooth. I'm pretty happy with the pick now.

Because of my beliefs in Tangradi and Shero making a move for a top six winger, I see no reason not to be stoked about this farm.

Both of us didn't think Despres was even close to NHL ready this time last season, with good reason. He had too many boneheaded plays, his positional game was poor, and even his offensive talents weren't shining.

Morrow, like I said in the Summer, played in a vastly different system with the Hawks. So I felt it could take a month or up to an entire year before he looked comfortable in his own end.

Guys like Fowler and Subban are still trainwrecks in their own end a majority of the time, but their other assets are why they excel in the NHL. I have little doubt Morrow could play sheltered minutes and have an impact on the big club.

You are right though, Dumoulin looks to be more steady, but keep in mind he played in a copycat system. This is all a moot point, because now with the addition of Dumoulin, Bort and Strait deserving their respective shots, the emergence of Despres, etc. it is going to be tough for Morrow to get any big club minutes, unless there is a big rash of injuries (rather not see that).
I really like Dumoulin. I think he will make Strait and Bortuzzo expendable in future. Maybe even Despres, he would probably bring the most in a trade.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I really like Dumoulin. I think he will make Strait and Bortuzzo expendable in future. Maybe even Despres, he would probably bring the most in a trade.
Ya it's early, but you can see why ppl really love this guy. He was definitely not a throw in.

It's hard to even begin to know how this will all shake down...

Last Spring, I thought Morrow would be on the big club by mid-season. However, I thought two of Martin, Nisky, Bort and Strait would be gone (one from each group / A and NHL). Then Shero moved Michalek, but added Dumoulin. So basically, there are two more guys fighting for spots, than I anticipated.

I didn't think they would have such a big logjam on the blueline. It's a good thing, but I'm still worried Bort or Strait will be lost to waivers.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:10 AM
JTG

I agree with Jiggy that Morrow will make a better NHL'er than he will an AHL'er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I think what burns people's a** most is Foreberg, not Grigs, though I think most would've been very hppy with Grigs if taken 8th overall. He'd be a killer with Malkin. Neal would then be paired with Sid.
Passing on Forsberg wasn't a big deal to me. In my opinion, I don't like the stats he put up in the SEL. I personally expect a bit more from a guy who was as highly touted as he was. The knock on him was that he was struggling playing against men. That's a pretty big knock. If you're a top 10 pick...you shouldn't be struggling to play against men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I agree. I've only seen parts of two games but Zatkoff has been excellent. He looks like a possible NHL backup because of his size and sound technique.. things Curry and Thiessen don't really have. The only thing I haven't gotten a read on yet is how he handles the puck outside the crease.
I wondered the exact same thing, actually.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Passing on Forsberg wasn't a big deal to me. In my opinion, I don't like the stats he put up in the SEL. I personally expect a bit more from a guy who was as highly touted as he was. The knock on him was that he was struggling playing against men. That's a pretty big knock. If you're a top 10 pick...you shouldn't be struggling to play against men.
Forsberg is playing in "allsvenskan" not SEL. Allsvenskan is the league below the SEL.
Ive watched some games tho and hes been very good every game ive seen. Making me angry everytime i watch him play

Old
11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:

The Ducks and Habs rushed Fowler and Subban onto the NHL team too fast. I don't want the Pens to do that with any of their D prospects. I'd rather see Despres get top-pair minutes in the AHL this year than have him occupy the 3rd pair along Engelland. Either do that or give him top minutes along Letang, but that won't happen. Dumoulin is being glorified right now, he had to make no adjustment from his BC team to the Baby Pens. He isn't as good as Morrow.

On another topic, there's a lot of hate for Bennett on this thread. Why, he is a 1st year player that lost much of last year to injury. He hasn't been a total train wreck in the AHL this year either.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
On another topic, there's a lot of hate for Bennett on this thread. Why, he is a 1st year player that lost much of last year to injury. He hasn't been a total train wreck in the AHL this year either.
There is?

Old
11-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Alesle

Quote:
There is?
He's probably referring to the posters that would've preferred to draft Kuznetsov. Much like Pouilot will have a hard time for not being Forsberg/Grigorenko.

Closed Thread