HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), players in the system, etc.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2012, 01:01 PM
  #151
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Anyone that follows the Phantoms more regularly than I know what kind of TOI Couturier is playing? Curious to see what we can expect if the NHL plays this year or next.
The AHL doesn't keep a TOI stat (but teams keeps it internally from what I've been told). Couturier plays in all game situations -- 1st PP unit, 1st PK unit, and one of the top two lines -- and his time has easily been over 18:30 per game as a very conservative estimate. Probably more than that.

Bill_Meltzer is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:03 PM
  #152
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
The AHL doesn't keep a TOI stat (but teams keeps it internally from what I've been told). Couturier plays in all game situations -- 1st PP unit, 1st PK unit, and one of the top two lines -- and his time has easily been over 18:30 per game as a very conservative estimate. Probably more than that.
Thanks Bill

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:05 PM
  #153
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Anyone that follows the Phantoms more regularly than I know what kind of TOI Couturier is playing? Curious to see what we can expect if the NHL plays this year or next.
I have seen 5 out of 9 games, and though I do not know the exact figures... he is almost certainly playing the most of any forward on the team. Him and Schenn seem to be on the ice every other shift, and both play PP and PK. They have been on the ice for 19 of 23 goals the Phantoms have scored this year!

Appleyard is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:14 PM
  #154
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I have seen 5 out of 9 games, and though I do not know the exact figures... he is almost certainly playing the most of any forward on the team. Him and Schenn seem to be on the ice every other shift, and both play PP and PK. They have been on the ice for 19 of 23 goals the Phantoms have scored this year!
sheesh, doesnt say much about the rest of the makeup of the team.

GoneFullHextall is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 02:34 PM
  #155
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
sheesh, doesnt say much about the rest of the makeup of the team.
well to be fair, if the rest of the team aint getting much TOI, then obviously if will affect their ability to score..

8-)

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 07:21 PM
  #156
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Laughton and the OHL are playing Russia right now on NHL network

Krishna is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 08:39 AM
  #157
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Laughton and the OHL are playing Russia right now on NHL network
He played very well. Their line kept Russia in their end the whole night it seemed. He was even +/- on the night. I believe he took the last faceoff in Russia's end with 7 seconds left. Shows the coaches believed he was the best chance to win the faceoff....and did win it. Commentator at one point said that you win with guys like him on the team.

Tripod is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 11:06 AM
  #158
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,023
vCash: 500
Yeah Laughton was physical and defensively responsible the entire game.

Commentators mentioned that he has been the shutdown guy on all the teams he's been on but also has offense to him.

Islanders mod on the prospects board said that Laughton was born to be a Flyer.

Roo Mad Bro is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 12:50 PM
  #159
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Yeah Laughton was physical and defensively responsible the entire game.

Commentators mentioned that he has been the shutdown guy on all the teams he's been on but also has offense to him.


Islanders mod on the prospects board said that Laughton was born to be a Flyer.
Really? Guess its all ones perception. Never seen him play but most said his defense was just average, not really shutdown type.

sa cyred is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 01:08 PM
  #160
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Really? Guess its all ones perception. Never seen him play but most said his defense was just average, not really shutdown type.
if anything people have said his defense was the best asset he has.

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 01:10 PM
  #161
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
if anything people have said his defense was the best asset he has.
I didnt say it, just some of the scouts I follow on twitter. Like I said, never seen him play. What I thought was his best asset was his ability to agitate while putting up average offensive and defensive play. I dont think his defense was bad, but I never read him being a shutdown forward. Maybe I missed that.

sa cyred is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 01:37 PM
  #162
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Really? Guess its all ones perception. Never seen him play but most said his defense was just average, not really shutdown type.
Really? From what the scouts say about his game is just the opposite of what you stated. The young man is developing very well and he has improved every year. The coaches are not afraid to put him out in the last minute of play. I can see him here in Philly as the Flyer's 3rd line checking center in a few years. His defensive game is his strong suit. Areas he needs to work on are his offensive game and his foot speed(he is not slow). Now I am basing this on just a couple of games and some practices I watched and just about every scouting report that I have had the chance to read. This young man is a no nonsense type of player who to me has "FLYER" all over him. As you can see here, I am excited about the Flyer's future at center ice and Scott will fit in very well.

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 01:46 PM
  #163
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Really? From what the scouts say about his game is just the opposite of what you stated. The young man is developing very well and he has improved every year. The coaches are not afraid to put him out in the last minute of play. I can see him here in Philly as the Flyer's 3rd line checking center in a few years. His defensive game is his strong suit. Areas he needs to work on are his offensive game and his foot speed(he is not slow). Now I am basing this on just a couple of games and some practices I watched and just about every scouting report that I have had the chance to read. This young man is a no nonsense type of player who to me has "FLYER" all over him. As you can see here, I am excited about the Flyer's future at center ice and Scott will fit in very well.
When Im done my work, Ill try to find the exact tweets Im talking about. I have a decent amount of scouts on my twitter so it might take awhile. Maybe things have changed, but what I read back near the prospect camp, I 100% remember them saying he needs to work on both aspects of his game. He was average at both, but needed work. I remember this, for sure, since people were saying his sealing is most likely a 3rd line center, but if both offense AND defense dont improve, he will most likely be stuck on the 4th line. Maybe Im wrong, but I wouldnt be saying something that I never heard before. Not my suit.

sa cyred is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 01:50 PM
  #164
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I didnt say it, just some of the scouts I follow on twitter. Like I said, never seen him play. What I thought was his best asset was his ability to agitate while putting up average offensive and defensive play. I dont think his defense was bad, but I never read him being a shutdown forward. Maybe I missed that.
Care to post the scouts?

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
  #165
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Care to post the scouts?
Yep trying to find it now. Googleing brings up some reports also (trying to see if one guy posted it in his OHL prospects article).

They all said the same thing. His biggest asset his how he is a hardworking guy. Some of these reports are weird though. One stated he was is a "great offensive player".

We all know that isnt very true.

sa cyred is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 02:00 PM
  #166
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Strengths

Laughton may be the smartest, most competitive draft eligible player for the NHL Draft. He always brings a high complete level, and is the kind of player who is willing to do whatever it takes to win. He will block a shot, make a strong offensive play, back check or drop the gloves if it could equal team success. He is strong positionally in all three zones, and plays a very effective two-way play. He respects his duties at both ends of the rinks and doesn’t chase the puck around the ice. He has a very good shot that is effective from the slot. He shows strong vision with the puck in both the offensive and neutral zone, and is effective at making smart decisions with the puck. He reads the ice well and makes crisp tape-to-tape passes. He is a very smart hockey player who seems to know what to do at all times. He anticipates well and can see a play two to three plays in advance.

Weakness

There isn’t a lot not to like about Scott Laughton. He has everything you look for in a centre at the next level. One thing that concerns me about his game is his long-term offensive upside. He has shown some good growth offensively in the past year, however I’m not sure how much better he will get with the puck. He is not an overly dynamic or skilled forward, and relies on his vision and intelligence to make plays at the next level. That intelligence will be an asset moving forward for him, but I’m not sure how much growth he has left. He has some other area to grow, he could improve his first few strides as well as his upper body strength, but I have no fears that those aspects of his game should continue to develop.
http://theprospectblog.com/2012/04/2...cott-laughton/
Meh, can't find it so Ill eat crow and say I was wrong. I dont make **** up, so I know I read it somewhere, but I guess I was wrong.

Seems like his offensive play is the spot that needs work on though and will limit him to where he plays in the future.

sa cyred is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 02:20 PM
  #167
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
He looks like Richards to me...and Richie learned to put up points

tuckrr is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 03:33 PM
  #168
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
He looks like Richards to me...and Richie learned to put up points
I'd prefer a Richards/Richie over Ricci that is for sure.....I also see him like a Richards.

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 03:34 PM
  #169
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
He looks like Richards to me...and Richie learned to put up points
Yeah, but not everybody turns into Mike Richards.

Cannon's points always came because he gave more effort than everyone else, not because he was necessarily more talented.

That said, Laughton is an all-effort, no nonsense kind of player. Whether or not he can be as sound defensively or as offensively influential as Richards is another matter.

Things look promising right now though.

CS is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 06:48 PM
  #170
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,737
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
When we drafted Richards, in his draft year, he put up 114 points in 88 games between the regular season and playoffs. In Laughton's draft year, he put up 58 points in 66 games. Laughton hasn't demonstrated elite offense even at the OHL level like Richards did.

BillyShoe1721 is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 07:00 PM
  #171
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Things look promising right now though.
This is my favorite type of hockey player. I miss Richards.

Flyotes is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 07:04 PM
  #172
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,242
vCash: 233
Is Couturier ill or hurt? He was announced as a scratch tonight.

Woodhouse is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 07:06 PM
  #173
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
When we drafted Richards, in his draft year, he put up 114 points in 88 games between the regular season and playoffs. In Laughton's draft year, he put up 58 points in 66 games. Laughton hasn't demonstrated elite offense even at the OHL level like Richards did.
I like your point, but that could be for a variety of factors.

In addition, even if he never provides a ton of points, which one always hopes they do, I do like the pick on paper.

He fits in with the Flyer's style. The Flyers have a fair share of scorers already. He may play with an infectious level of compete and make the ice miserable for opposing players.

Imagine the miserable line combinations with Cousins, Rinaldo, and Cooter (before he is placed on a top line) on the same team to send over the boards in various configurations.

Flyotes is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 07:30 PM
  #174
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,023
vCash: 500
Even though I'm not an old timer, I still love me some gritty forwards that play on the edge. Just personal preference, even though that might be more prevalent among us Flyers fans compared to other fanbases around the league.

I like players that other fans/players hate to play against. I think Laughton will be that type of player who also chips in offense, but will deliver the big hits and be on the line between clean and dirty.

Roo Mad Bro is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 07:47 PM
  #175
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang
 
FlyLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Livin the High Life
Country: United States
Posts: 2,367
vCash: 500
Anyone know if Couturier is eligible for the WJC's? If so, would you send him if you were the Flyers? It could be a good experience for him.

FlyLife is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.