HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs [10-15-3] & Wheeling Nailers 2012-2013 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 05:33 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Well Robinson was probably had a million time more puck skills than Tinordi. In fact thats probably his greatest flaw, its a bit late for him to develop that aspect of the game and its very unlikely he'll ever get shifts on the PP (what you'd expect from top defensemen).

To succeed he must focus on those aspects you mentionned. Be a stabilizing and intimidating presence on the ice.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:09 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Was watching the Dogs with one eye and the '76 Habs with the other last Saturday and noticed some similarities with Tinordi and Larry Robinson.

I'm NOT saying Tinordi is going to be the next Larry Robinson but watching them both at the same time you can see Tinordi has the same calming presence on the ice. He has the size and mobility that Larry had but also the same presence on the ice..a certain gravitas... a calming presence for his teammates and a quietly intimidating one for the opposition.

Tinordi has already surprised me with his passing skills and at the end of the Rochester game that went to overtime he shocked me by skating into open ice and driving to the net. He looks unstoppable when he gets moving and skates very well, not just good for his size, but a good skater compared to anyone. Larry used to jump up in the play and scare the hell out of anyone in his way, he picked his spots but when he went for it look out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtkJQ836Rd0

Tinordi then got involved in a fracas by the bench and sorted that out. Larry used to keep em sorted with a word and a warning point and Tinordi looks like he might have that same ability to straighten out any stupidity with having to drop em with everyone who asks.

Just like Larry did when he was just starting out he has to grow into his skin and just like Larry he is too nice a guy for his own good, but he is already doing the little things and taking care of business like a pro. He may never have the green light to skate with the puck in the NHL and needs a lot of work on his shot before he ever thinks he might see the powerplay but there is a lot more offensive potential there than we were led to believe.

If the lockout wipes out the whole NHL season, getting to watch Tinordi develop game after game in the AHL is going to almost make up for it.

Again, NOT saying Tinordi is the next Larry Robinson, just saying how similar they look in terms of style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k-R9...eature=related
Don't think you're the only one that sees bigger things for Tinordi,I watched Larry play as a rookie also after he had gone to Al MacNeil's defensive school in Nova Scotia Voyageurs of the AHL similar to Tinordi right now.Jarred could become a very good two-way defenceman with great shutdown ability.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Does anyone know who starts in goal tomorow? I'm going to the game.

And any timetable on Desjardins' return?

Old
11-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Well Robinson was probably had a million time more puck skills than Tinordi. In fact thats probably his greatest flaw, its a bit late for him to develop that aspect of the game and its very unlikely he'll ever get shifts on the PP (what you'd expect from top defensemen).

To succeed he must focus on those aspects you mentionned. Be a stabilizing and intimidating presence on the ice.
Tinordi in no way needs to become a PP contributor to succeed in my books. His upside is his ability to defend.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:22 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Tinordi in no way needs to become a PP contributor to succeed in my books. His upside is his ability to defend.
I agree he'll be successful even if he's ''just'' great at defense, I was just refering to the Robinson comparison. Robinson was great at offense as well as defense, Tinordi just won't be that kind of complete player.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Does anyone know who starts in goal tomorow? I'm going to the game.

And any timetable on Desjardins' return?
I believe I saw next week.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:10 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

A quote from an interview with Dogs' announcer, Derek Wills

"Right now, Avtsin is practicing with the team and doing extra work with the coaches, waiting for an opportunity to play."

Good to hear they're taking the time with him. He does seem committed to play in NA.

My hopes aren't high on him but I haven't quite given up on him yet.

I'm really curious to what the deal with him is. I remember his first year both Cunneyworth and Carle were very laudatory in regards to his play and his attitude.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:38 AM
zzoo

Matthias Brunet has a honest and unbiased analysis about our prospects:
http://blogues.lapresse.ca/lnh/2012/...ts-a-hamilton/

I completely agree with him.
In my opinion, Habs short-term future is not very bright, the long-term future seems better though.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I agree he'll be successful even if he's ''just'' great at defense, I was just refering to the Robinson comparison. Robinson was great at offense as well as defense, Tinordi just won't be that kind of complete player.
You're right. Robinson was an offensive force. Making that kind of comparison isn't fair to Tinordi. He's not going to be that guy. But he can still be a major, major asset.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post

I completely agree with him.
In my opinion, Habs short-term future is not very bright, the long-term future seems better though.
Holland has arguably been our best young prospect in Hamilton this year, don't know where he gets the AHL impression from what he's seen up to now.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:19 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Holland has arguably been our best young prospect in Hamilton this year, don't know where he gets the AHL impression from what he's seen up to now.
I did not read his article but Holland will need to either be more physical for a 3rd line duty, or dramatically increase his speed to be a top 6 player. I don't know why, but he makes me feel like a leaner Kyle Wellwood. Wellwood had tremendous talent, but had a hard time staying in a top 6 role. Let's hope for the best with Holland.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Steve Quailer: gros ailier défensif, troisième trio. LNH. Genre Mike McPhee. 15 buts par année.

Does anyone else see this in his future? Quailer is already 23 year old, he'll have to get better in a hurry if he's going to become an NHL 3rd liner...

I'm also surprised he likes Bournival that much better than Holland. In my viewings, they are close, Holland even a bit ahead.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:35 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Steve Quailer: gros ailier défensif, troisième trio. LNH. Genre Mike McPhee. 15 buts par année.

Does anyone else see this in his future? Quailer is already 23 year old, he'll have to get better in a hurry if he's going to become an NHL 3rd liner...

I'm also surprised he likes Bournival that much better than Holland. In my viewings, they are close, Holland even a bit ahead.
He also likes Bournival better than Leblanc...which I can't agree.

And yeah, Quailer has done absolutely nothing so far this season to prove he can be an NHLer...Therien seemed to like him in the training camp but right now he does not use his speed or size the way he should to be successful.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:48 AM
That

Quote:

He certainly has the skill to do so. He's got good hands, good speed, he's big, he battles hard, but he is still extremely raw. He's got surprisingly good vision, he makes some good passes and is very aware of where everyone is on the ice. However, he makes some bizarre decisions with and without the puck. He has an awkward stride, he looks like he's skating in mud. I'm not a fan of his shot, it's weak and not very accurate. He also isn't physical enough as of now to be an effective 4th liner.

I don't know why you mentioned his age. There isn't a set time line for a player to make the NHL. Every prospect develops at their own pace. Quailer despite being older than all first year Bulldogs, is more raw than most of them. It's far too early to write him off.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I don't know why you mentioned his age. There isn't a set time line for a player to make the NHL. Every prospect develops at their own pace. Quailer despite being older than all first year Bulldogs, is more raw than most of them.
Historical precedent. It's hard to find NHL top 9'ers who weren't at least top AHL'ers on their teams at 23 year old.

If Quailer is being outplayed by 20 year olds, is it reasonable to expect he is going to catch up? Younger players generally have more development ahead before they reach their ceilings.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Hullois

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
Save for some ponctual needs, Habs have decided to make Louis Leblanc a full time winger.

12m Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
À moins de besoins ponctuels, le Canadien a décidé que Louis Leblanc serait désormais développé en tant qu'ailier.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:56 AM
domdo345

Save for some ponctual needs, Habs have decided to make Louis Leblanc a full time winger.

Looks like the log jam at center is making some movement already. It's getting pretty obvious one of the top 3 centers (Eller, DD and Plek) will be either traded or moved to the wing for Galchenyuk.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post

Looks like the log jam at center is making some movement already. It's getting pretty obvious one of the top 3 centers (Eller, DD and Plek) will be either traded or moved to the wing for Galchenyuk.
I wouldn't be surprised if they played Galchenyuk on the wing for a while when he gets to the NHL. IMO out of him and the three you mentioned, he's the one who "needs" to play at centre the least. It's also a way of sheltering a young player before giving him the additional responsibilities of a C. The Bruins did a similar thing with Seguin.

I don't think they'll trade anyone until they're absolutely sure Gally is ready to step in as centre full-time.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post

Thats the great thing about having excess players in one position. You trade one to make another position stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they played Galchenyuk on the wing for a while when he gets to the NHL. IMO out of him and the three you mentioned, he's the one who "needs" to play at centre the least. It's also a way of sheltering a young player before giving him the additional responsibilities of a C. The Bruins did a similar thing with Seguin.

I don't think they'll trade anyone until they're absolutely sure Gally is ready to step in as centre full-time.
It will probably take time but right now pleks and dehairnais are our best centres. If Eller breaks out we will be in a good position to make a trade and strengthen another position.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:12 PM
ChoseLa

It's strange that he doesn't talk about Macmillan, but talks about Walsh.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:16 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Yeah my post was incomplete, I meant in about 2 years. I give him no more than 1 year on the wing because he'll eventually need to learn how to play center and he'll probably need a couple of years. Playing center in the NHL is hard and he will need a lot of experience to be effective.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:30 PM
zzoo

Anyone goes to tonight's game ? Any idea how many tickets have been sold ?

Old
11-09-2012, 01:31 PM
OneSharpMarble

Eller should be put on the wing for Pleks, I think Desharnais is too good at centre to play him on the wing and Ellers game translates to wing much better.

With Pacioretty, Cole, Eller, Galchenyuk, Bourque and Moen we are going to have a very big/strong set of wingers spread across the whole team. Gionta is going to feel even smaller lol

Old
11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
That

Quote:
Historical precedent. It's hard to find NHL top 9'ers who weren't at least top AHL'ers on their teams at 23 year old.

If Quailer is being outplayed by 20 year olds, is it reasonable to expect he is going to catch up? Younger players generally have more development ahead before they reach their ceilings.
No, it's not unreasonable at all. I completely understand your logic behind this. However I disagree. When a player has a skill set as rare as Quailer does, you can wait for him to properly develop. He went the NCAA route, players rarely leave before their senior year. He's still young and don't forget that he lost an entire year of development, it could explain why he's so raw at his age.

He's had some great flashes of what he can do, lets wait to see what he can do with more pro experience before writing him off due to age.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Eller should be put on the wing for Pleks, I think Desharnais is too good at centre to play him on the wing and Ellers game translates to wing much better.

With Pacioretty, Cole, Eller, Galchenyuk, Bourque and Moen we are going to have a very big/strong set of wingers spread across the whole team. Gionta is going to feel even smaller lol
I don't think you've been watching much of Eller if you came to the conclusion that his game translates at all to the wing.

And this is the Hamilton thread, there's an Eller thread, see you there :p

Closed Thread