HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season madness!

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 11:39 AM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Yeah but Burke has signed FA like Komisarek, Connolly, Armstrong. AA hasn't pissed away money like that and therefore, he sucks.
Woah NN...

Did you forget about all that money AA wasted on Vladdy, Podsednik and Miguel Olivo?

That was like $500,000!!

LUDICRIOUS... FIRE HIM NOW

Old
11-09-2012, 12:16 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Jays have been re-building under AA and he hasn't seen the need to go out and spend big on the FA market when you are a mediocre team. You become a good team first then you go out and sign FA(s) to push your team over the top. BTW, Jays offered Beltran 3/39 last off-season, better than what he got and yet, he still didn't want to sign here because Toronto isn't that attractive to a lot of FA.

Just because AA hasn't spent on the FA market doesn't mean he hasn't spent money, he has spent money re-signing his core players (Jose/Edwin/Morrow/Romero/Yunel/Janssen) and has acquired a lot of talent through the trades. He is now spending money on the FA market because he sees that core and he likes it, he likes the players coming up through the system and now Jays can start filling out some holes they have.

It's unreal how people can be b******* at this point. FA has just began, and AA is one of the few guys that has actually done something on the FA market and trade market yet people are still complaining because we haven't signed an Anibal Sanchez yet. When the off-season ends and AA hasn't filled the holes through FA or trade market, then you can moan and b**** all you want and I'll do it along with you. But until then, gave him some time. FA just began!
I'm not complaining about this offseason. Sure ill give him all the time in the world because he is our GM. I'm complaining about the lack of direction. It seems like hes sitting back and waiting on miracles to occur like Morrow, Bautista and Encarnacion. We have a 4 yr window on Encarnacion and Morrow, and 6 for Bautista. The time is now. This team needs to start looking to be a contendor and getting some playoff experience. I cant see a team that hasnt been in the playoffs for 18 years making it on year 4 of this window and winning a world series.

It frustrates me to think that we could have Morrow, Haliday, Marcum right now. Definitely like Lawrie, but batting doesnt win you championships, pitching does. This up-hill battle wouldnt be as steep if we needed 1-2 pitchers instead of 3-4.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I'm not complaining about this offseason. Sure ill give him all the time in the world because he is our GM. I'm complaining about the lack of direction. It seems like hes sitting back and waiting on miracles to occur like Morrow, Bautista and Encarnacion. We have a 4 yr window on Encarnacion and Morrow, and 6 for Bautista. The time is now. This team needs to start looking to be a contendor and getting some playoff experience. I cant see a team that hasnt been in the playoffs for 18 years making it on year 4 of this window and winning a world series.

It frustrates me to think that we could have Morrow, Haliday, Marcum right now. Definitely like Lawrie, but batting doesnt win you championships, pitching does. This up-hill battle wouldnt be as steep if we needed 1-2 pitchers instead of 3-4.
We could easily sign Marcum, and trading for Halladay is a viable option... It just wouldn't make sense.

signing a picture to Marcum's calibre is likely to happen and trading for a top of the rotation starter younger then Halladay is likely also.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:28 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
We could easily sign Marcum, and trading for Halladay is a viable option... It just wouldn't make sense.

signing a picture to Marcum's calibre is likely to happen and trading for a top of the rotation starter younger then Halladay is likely also.
TBH i didnt even realize that marcum was unrestricted... i just found this article posted on the 18th... hope we sign him

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...nto_blue_jays/

Old
11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
TBH i didnt even realize that marcum was unrestricted... i just found this article posted on the 18th... hope we sign him

Unrestricted doesn't apply to baseball. He's a free agent

Old
11-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:

Apparently Toronto management is not so keen on reuniting - reports of off-field issues. But somebody like that will be added.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:18 PM
SportsProsperity

Quote:

The time isn't now. If the Bluejays want a payroll of about 95 million, they have a little less than 15 million to spend on fixing our pitching rotation and getting a 2B, if Izturis isn't the answer. Even if they could sign BOTH Sanchez and Jackson, they still will not be able to become legit contenders. Doing so will only handicap the club financially going forward.

AA will need to sign one pitcher through free agency and trade for a controllable starting pitcher (derek holland, jeremy hellickson type) to stay around the expected payroll of 95 million.

The Jays got D'Arnaud (future catcher), Gose (future outfielder), and Drabek (don't really know what we have with him) for Halladay. For Marcum, we got our starting 3B for the next 5 years in Brett Lawrie. If we didn't make those trades, the Jays would not have the elite prospects they have now. Instead we would have about 28 million invested in Halladay and Marcum annually. That would have prevented us from signing big free agent batters to support our line up. I understand that we would have a rotation of Hallday, Marcum, Morrow, Romero but how would our line up look like?

It frustrates me to think our fans believe the Jays would spend over $130 million on payroll when we can't even get 20,000 fans a game during the month of September. Not only would have no money left to fix our batting lineup if we would have kept Halladay and Marcum, we would have the depth in our farm system that we currently have to make moves.

The Bluejays currently have a top 5 farm system which we could use to trade for controllable assets to bring us over the top if we are a medicore team come July. We are not the Yankees or Redsox, Rogers will not give us unlimited funds to buy talent from Free Agency. We will have to follow the current direction AA is taking the bluejays, which is in fact the right direction.

This team will an above average team in 2013. And will be a serious contender in 2014.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Jays have been re-building under AA and he hasn't seen the need to go out and spend big on the FA market when you are a mediocre team. You become a good team first then you go out and sign FA(s) to push your team over the top. BTW, Jays offered Beltran 3/39 last off-season, better than what he got and yet, he still didn't want to sign here because Toronto isn't that attractive to a lot of FA.
stopped reading after this. What? Toronto isn't attractive to FA's? Since when. It's the summer months when they're in toronto and Toronto is a huge, beautiful, multi cultural city full of activities. Maybe in the NBA cause it's winter time, but not baseball.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsProsperity View Post
The time isn't now. If the Bluejays want a payroll of about 95 million, they have a little less than 15 million to spend on fixing our pitching rotation and getting a 2B, if Izturis isn't the answer. Even if they could sign BOTH Sanchez and Jackson, they still will not be able to become legit contenders. Doing so will only handicap the club financially going forward.

AA will need to sign one pitcher through free agency and trade for a controllable starting pitcher (derek holland, jeremy hellickson type) to stay around the expected payroll of 95 million.

The Jays got D'Arnaud (future catcher), Gose (future outfielder), and Drabek (don't really know what we have with him) for Halladay. For Marcum, we got our starting 3B for the next 5 years in Brett Lawrie. If we didn't make those trades, the Jays would not have the elite prospects they have now. Instead we would have about 28 million invested in Halladay and Marcum annually. That would have prevented us from signing big free agent batters to support our line up. I understand that we would have a rotation of Hallday, Marcum, Morrow, Romero but how would our line up look like?

It frustrates me to think our fans believe the Jays would spend over $130 million on payroll when we can't even get 20,000 fans a game during the month of September. Not only would have no money left to fix our batting lineup if we would have kept Halladay and Marcum, we would have the depth in our farm system that we currently have to make moves.

The Bluejays currently have a top 5 farm system which we could use to trade for controllable assets to bring us over the top if we are a medicore team come July. We are not the Yankees or Redsox, Rogers will not give us unlimited funds to buy talent from Free Agency. We will have to follow the current direction AA is taking the bluejays, which is in fact the right direction.

This team will an above average team in 2013. And will be a serious contender in 2014.
Lawrie only for 5 years? If you mean in terms of control, then youre correct, but you'd have to imagine he'll stay here for most of his career. Unless he falls off a cliff production and play wise, but I dont see that happening. Will be a perennial all star

Old
11-09-2012, 01:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

whoops, I kinda let this one drag on a little too long.

New thread in a minute.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Closed Thread