HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Team USA World Junior Championship Evaluation Camp Predictions

Old
10-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I find it hard to believe that Enre and Vail weren't in play.
Erne is draft eligible. We usually don't have draft eligible players on the team unless they are real standouts.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:08 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

We're less than a month from USA Hockey announcing their preliminary roster. Here's a look at what my roster would be.

http://thehockeyguys.net/2013-world-...oster-outlook/

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:16 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
We're less than a month from USA Hockey announcing their preliminary roster. Here's a look at what my roster would be.

Pretty good roster. What do you think the lines would look like?

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:

I would be very surprised if Kuraly and Hartman were not even on the preliminary roster. I would also expect Skeij and Matteau to be on it but wouldn't be shocked if they weren't.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:24 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Pretty good roster. What do you think the lines would look like?
Boucher-Miller-Grimaldi
Gaudreau-Galchenyuk-Biggs
Lucia-Trocheck-Noesen
Pietila-Boyd-Samuelsson
Kerdiles

McCabe-Trouba
Gostisberhere-Jones
Reilly-Murphy
Paliotta
(Don't put too much stock in d pairings)

Gibson
Sparks

These would be mine at this point.

Old
11-09-2012, 04:30 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
I would be very surprised if Kuraly and Hartman were not even on the preliminary roster. I would also expect Skeij and Matteau to be on it but wouldn't be shocked if they weren't.
Kuraly and Skjei have been left off my roster for the same reason in that they have struggled to make the transition to college hockey so far. Yeah, Skjei has been hurt but from what I've seen and the fact that I think he's a bubble player to begin with that's why I don't have him.

It's also worth noting three of these four names you listed are 94s. Not sure how young USA hockey is looking to get if talent is equal especially considering I think at least five 94s are already on the team or are in very good contention right now.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:25 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Boucher-Miller-Grimaldi
Lucia-Trocheck-Noesen
Pietila-Boyd-Samuelsson
Kerdiles

McCabe-Trouba
Gostisberhere-Jones
Reilly-Murphy
Paliotta

Gibson
Sparks

I would try:

Boucher-Miller-Grimaldi
Lucia-Trocheck-Noesen
Kerdiles-Vail-Samulesson
Pietila
McCabe-Jones
Trouba-Murphy
Reilly-??(It can be anyone)
Gibson
Sparks

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:28 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:

I can't imagine Henrik Samuelsson has done enough to get into play. His skating isn't good and there's players that can fill his role that Team USA actually liked at the Summer Camp where Henrik was an early cut. I also don't think you'll see two defenseman (Paliotta, Russo) that were early cuts get back into play. I imagine Housley would opt for a better skater like Grzelcyk instead, especially since neither Reilly or Skjei has been all that impressive so far to start their year.

Here's what I see at this point:

Forwards (x17):

Riley Barber
Tyler Biggs
Colin Blackwell
Travis Boyd
Adam Erne
Ryan Hartman
Alex Galchenyuk
John Gaudreau
Rocco Grimaldi
Sean Kuraly
Stefan Matteau
J.T. Miller
Stefan Noesen
Danny O'Regan
Blake Pietila
Vincent Trocheck
Brady Vail

Defense (x10):

Shane Gostisbehere
Matt Grzelcyk
Garrett Haar
Seth Jones
Jake McCabe
Connor Murphy
Mike Reilly
Patrick Sieloff
Brady Skjei
Jacob Trouba

Goalies (x3):

John Gibson
Jon Gillies
Garrett Sparks

I left off Lucia and Kerdiles, who I think are both there if they are in shape and producing by mid-December. A guy like Kuraly probably still has the benefit of doubt from dominating at the summer camp to get an invite to the final camp but he'll need to start producing or that could change as well.

11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Exit Dose

Is Kerdiles expected to back from his injury by the time that his suspension is over?

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Is Kerdiles expected to back from his injury by the time that his suspension is over?
That was the prognosis at the time he was hurt.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:58 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I can't imagine Henrik Samuelsson has done enough to get into play. His skating isn't good and there's players that can fill his role that Team USA actually liked at the Summer Camp where Henrik was an early cut.
1) I see we agree on almost all the players
2) You bring up a good point about having three guys on my roster who wee already given a good look this summer. I was impressed with Russo in the games of Notre Dame I've seen online. Looking forward to watching him (Schmaltz, Grimaldi, and Lucia too) live about a week before the roster comes out. May change my mind then.
3) I chose Samuelsson over Hartman because of skillset. Never have too many power forwards in your bottom six on Olympic ice and with the forward groups Russia, Canada, etc. are bringing.
4) You still like Kuraly after being invisible in his first nine games of the year? Yeah, he did have a good camp, but if you take that out of the equation he was a longshot to begin with.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:14 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
2) You bring up a good point about having three guys on my roster who wee already given a good look this summer. I was impressed with Russo in the games of Notre Dame I've seen online. Looking forward to watching him (Schmaltz, Grimaldi, and Lucia too) live about a week before the roster comes out. May change my mind then.
I don't dislike Russo, I just don't think both Russo and Paliotta have done enough to get back into play. I think it's much more likely a defenseman such as Grzelcyk, as a better skater than those two, gets into consideration.

Schmaltz has barely progressed in two years. I don't have high hopes.

Quote:
3) I chose Samuelsson over Hartman because of skillset. Never have too many power forwards in your bottom six on Olympic ice and with the forward groups Russia, Canada, etc. are bringing.
Samuelsson won't be much good against those teams because he can't keep up on the Olympic Ice where skating is much more of a factor. Hartman is a better skater, an in your face, physical agitator despite not having the same size, and skilled in his own right. I just don't see how Samuelsson has done enough to impress the Team USA brass that was so wholly unimpressed with him to begin this process.

Quote:
4) You still like Kuraly after being invisible in his first nine games of the year? Yeah, he did have a good camp, but if you take that out of the equation he was a longshot to begin with.
I don't think he was considered a long shot on a roster that had a lot of open spots to begin with. And I don't think his camp will keep him on the team necessarily but that it will at least keep him on the preliminary roster at this point. If he doesn't get going in the next 3-4 weeks, that probably changes as well. It must also be noted that two guys I think are at this camp if they're back healthy and in form were left off pending their returns.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:56 PM
orangeandblack

I hope they take Seiloff, his physical play will be very useful. The likely locks are Murphy, Gostisbehere, Reilly, Jones, and Trouba. After that Id take Seiloff. The 7 is really up for grabs. Id think Carrick gets a good look.

Kuraly has been a non factor this season, that will hurt him a lot, especially with how strong teammate Barber has looked.

I can't see them taking Kerdiles or Lucia due to their injuries. It isn't like they are so good that they need to take them. Neither is Galchenyuk, Trouba, Jones calibre.

Id much rather have Matteau, Hartman and Biggs over Boyd and Blackwell. We've all seen how small college forwards that aren't overly skilled get pushed around in this tournament. Neither of these two are a Grimaldi or Gaudreau, just can't see a reason to take either.

Havent Boucher and Gally been playing on the same line most of the year? Id assume they would be a package. Gally and Gaudreau lacked chemistry in the summer.

Id go with

Gibson
Mahalak

Murphy
Ghost
Reilly
Jones
Trouba
Seiloff
Carrick

Gaudreau
Grimaldi
Miller
Noesen
Trochek
Biggs
Galchenyuk
Vail
Barber
Matteau
Hartman
Samuelsson
Erne

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

this could be a pretty interesting US SQUAD to say the least.

this team could mirror the team of 2010 with the perfect balance of big power wingers and skilled gifted wingers. In 2010 we had the balance of guys like Jenks, Walker, McRae, Morin, etc all playing a tough grinding style. We were able to throw in our skilled wingers like Schroeder, Kristo, Bourque, Palmieri, and Stepan that all played their roles perfectly.

The defense was just as well balanced with puck moving dmen and stay at home defenders....Fowler,Donovan, and Carlson were awesome from the point.. Lashoff, Gardiner, and Ramage played their role perfectly as well.. overall this team was as CHL heavy as I have seen, and is exactly the same way this years squad should look as well.

My prelim roster would look like this

Goalies

Jon Gillies
Jon Gibson
Garrett Sparks

Defense

Seth Jones
Connor Murphy
Jacob Trouba
Pat Seiloff
Shayne Gotisbehere
Jake McCabe
Brady Skjei
Mike Reilly
Jordan Schmaltz
Matt Grzelcyk

Forwards

J.T Miller
Alex Galchenyuk
Rocco Grimaldi
Tyler Biggs
Ryan Hartman
Vincent Trocheck
Stefan Noesen
John Gaudreau
Reid Boucher
Brady Vail
Colin Jacobs
Adam Erne
Sean Kuraly
Danny O'Regan
Riley Barber
Stefan Matteau
Nick Kerdiles

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:07 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
I hope they take Seiloff, his physical play will be very useful. The likely locks are Murphy, Gostisbehere, Reilly, Jones, and Trouba. After that Id take Seiloff. The 7 is really up for grabs. Id think Carrick gets a good look.

Kuraly has been a non factor this season, that will hurt him a lot, especially with how strong teammate Barber has looked.

I can't see them taking Kerdiles or Lucia due to their injuries. It isn't like they are so good that they need to take them. Neither is Galchenyuk, Trouba, Jones calibre.

Id much rather have Matteau, Hartman and Biggs over Boyd and Blackwell. We've all seen how small college forwards that aren't overly skilled get pushed around in this tournament. Neither of these two are a Grimaldi or Gaudreau, just can't see a reason to take either.

Havent Boucher and Gally been playing on the same line most of the year? Id assume they would be a package. Gally and Gaudreau lacked chemistry in the summer.

Id go with

Gibson
Mahalak

Murphy
Ghost
Reilly
Jones
Trouba
Seiloff
Carrick

Gaudreau
Grimaldi
Miller
Noesen
Trochek
Biggs
Galchenyuk
Vail
Barber
Matteau
Hartman
Samuelsson
Erne
Yes, only recently (last 7 games or so). They have been playing on the top line together with Sarault at center. Beaulieu prefers to put all his eggs in one basket with his veteran point producers.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Small Brain Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
this could be a pretty interesting US SQUAD to say the least.

this team could mirror the team of 2010 with the perfect balance of big power wingers and skilled gifted wingers. In 2010 we had the balance of guys like Jenks, Walker, McRae, Morin, etc all playing a tough grinding style. We were able to throw in our skilled wingers like Schroeder, Kristo, Bourque, Palmieri, and Stepan that all played their roles perfectly.

The defense was just as well balanced with puck moving dmen and stay at home defenders....Fowler,Donovan, and Carlson were awesome from the point.. Lashoff, Gardiner, and Ramage played their role perfectly as well.. overall this team was as CHL heavy as I have seen, and is exactly the same way this years squad should look as well.

My prelim roster would look like this

Goalies

Jon Gillies
Jon Gibson
Garrett Sparks

Defense

Seth Jones
Connor Murphy
Jacob Trouba
Pat Seiloff
Shayne Gotisbehere
Jake McCabe
Brady Skjei
Mike Reilly
Jordan Schmaltz
Matt Grzelcyk

Forwards

J.T Miller
Alex Galchenyuk
Rocco Grimaldi
Tyler Biggs
Ryan Hartman
Vincent Trocheck
Stefan Noesen
John Gaudreau
Reid Boucher
Brady Vail
Colin Jacobs
Adam Erne
Sean Kuraly
Danny O'Regan
Riley Barber
Stefan Matteau
Nick Kerdiles

It's funny that you talk about the 2010 forward group without mentioning the name of the guy who scored 5 goals in the last three U.S. games.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:27 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Brain Presence View Post
It's funny that you talk about the 2010 forward group without mentioning the name of the guy who scored 5 goals in the last three U.S. games.
he was a tweener...not a grinder and not an offensive dynamic player either..

Jerry was a right place right guy player...teams need those, but I didnt need to highlight him as I was talking about power wingers and highend skilled forwards...

...though Kreider belongs in the highend level as well...

Old
11-13-2012, 03:39 PM
truefan8993

If the WJC were this week, what are the chances that Erne makes the team?

truefan8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Small Brain Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
he was a tweener...not a grinder and not an offensive dynamic player either..

Jerry was a right place right guy player...teams need those, but I didnt need to highlight him as I was talking about power wingers and highend skilled forwards...

...though Kreider belongs in the highend level as well...

Thanks for the reply. Shows how good that team was that D'amigo was not among the top six skilled forwards. In any event, your opinion on D'amigo seems to be shared by Dallas Eakins.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Boucher-Miller-Grimaldi
Lucia-Trocheck-Noesen
Pietila-Boyd-Samuelsson
Kerdiles

McCabe-Trouba
Gostisberhere-Jones
Reilly-Murphy
Paliotta

Gibson
Sparks

Suprised you put Pietila up there, but why not Matteau? Devils might have Matteau, Boucher, and Pietila all on the team, which will be awesome from a Devils perspective.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Exit Dose

Have there been any late risers amongst the college players?

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Have there been any late risers amongst the college players?
Pietila looks like an under-the-radar high energy bottom six guy. Having a great sophomore year for Michigan Tech, I only know that as a Devils fan.

Not sure about other guys though.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:32 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

though I doubt his standing with USA Hockey is in anywhere near solid shape, you have to be impressed so far with the freshmen campaign of Cristoval Boo Nieves.

I can see him as being one of those kids that Johansson was talking about as being a surprise player that could get a December invite...

very impressed so far from Boo, I hope the kid keeps this up because he could turn into a Beau Bennett type of player if all the screw are on tight enough.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:39 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
What about Matt Deblouw as one of the bottom 6 centres? He's been scoring at a surprisingly decent pace so far, despite being billed as more of a defensive player.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:25 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
What about Matt Deblouw as one of the bottom 6 centres? He's been scoring at a surprisingly decent pace so far, despite being billed as more of a defensive player.
I like that choice as a dark horse candidate. The team needs a shutdown style center and while most of us have been saying that's Brady Vail for awhile, it wouldn't be suprising to see USAH choose a guy like Deblouw instead since he's a '93 and in the NCAA.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 11-16-2012 at 03:30 PM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote