HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The "Ruf"fled Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
With the prospects we have, do you honestly think we could land Upton?
It would probably take Biddle and Pettibone to start the conversation. The D'Backs want young starting pitching. But those guys may be too young.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:02 PM
FLYguy3911

I see Biddle's ETA as 2014 sometime. Best case, he tears up AA this year and gets a few spot starts in the bigs. Worst case (hopefully), we see him in 2015 after a full season in AAA.

I think May and Colvin are destined for the bullpen. Just way too many walks to be successful starting. May you would have to think would be pretty good out of the pen. His strikeout numbers over 150 are very good. Uptick in already good stuff would really help out of the pen. Ideally you want him to start, but he's really going to have to show some improvement in the control department pretty soon to avoid the inevitable. Colvin is running out of chances to be a starter. Really good stuff, but had nearly a .300 batting average against over 130 innings. I don't think there is any chance he is a starter beyond this season.

Ethan Martin is another guy in the same boat. Way too many walks. Good strikeout numbers. Very good BA against. He's got a chance to remain a starter, but again needs to show some improvement in the control department soon. His ETA is 2014 IMO. Maybe next year if he shows well or is moved to the pen.

Pettibone is the opposite of the other 3. Not overpowering, good control. Walk rate went up with his AAA promotion, but that's expected. Looks like a #5 starter. Amaro mentioned him at his end of the year presser which tells me they like him. Spot starter in 2013 IMO.

Julio Rodriguez has already moved to the pen. Good strikeout numbers. A lot of walks. Fly ball pitcher.

Bonilla was put on the fast track this year. Wouldn't be shocked to see him at the end of this year. Big time strikeout pitcher. No one hits him. Just needs a little polish.

Adam Morgan had a very good first season of pro ball. Another lefty starter who will remain that. Very good control. Ground ball pitcher. Really good changeup. Another guy Amaro spoke of highly. #3 starter upside. Late 2014 ETA.

Austin Wright is another lefthanded starter from the 2011 draft. He's a step behind Morgan but had a heck of a first season himself. Decent strikeout and walk numbers. Very good groundball rates. Gets hit around a bit, but a back of the rotation kind of guy.

Kyle Simon is a guy they got in the Jim Thome trade. He was a starter in the Baltimore origination. They immediately moved him to the bullpen and he was awesome. Crazy sinkerballer. Groundball rate near 5 in his minor league career. Decent strikeout numbers, no one hit him, and he didn't walk anyone either. Looks like he is starting in the AZL and the results aren't good. Intriguing guy though.

Seth Rosin they got in the Hunter Pence deal. Didn't pitch much after the trade. Big right hander with potential. Already 24 though and hasn't pitched above high-A. They obviously like something about him though.

Gueller and Watson were their first rounders this year. A long ways off.

Overall, their pitching prospects are intriguing. Aside from Biddle, the starters are of the low end variety, but most every guy on this list has great stuff. Raw but great stuff. I think in a couple of years, our bullpen is going to be very good. Which is part of the reason I wouldn't go out signing relievers to crazy contracts this offseason. These guys combined with guys like Diekman, Aumont, De Fratus won't all pan out, but the odds are that some of them will and will make a big impact.

Tommy Joseph is the top position prospect. Didn't have the year many thought he would and he's struggling in the AZL. Has showed slight improvement in his walk rate in a small sample size. Hopefully its just a long season taking its toll. Next year is a big year for him. ETA 2014.

Larry Greene was last year's first rounder. Big power potential. Walks a lot. Strikeout a ton. Plays LF but probably a 1st baseman in the future. Long ways off. Hasn't even played full season ball yet.

Sebastian Valle was the catcher of the future. More like the backup of the future now. He's got pop, but does not walk at all which severely limits his offensive upside. Pretty good behind the plate. Still not a bad thing if he only turns out to be a career backup. That's still valuable. Cameo this year but 2014 ETA.

Cesar Hernandez is a nice little player. Similar to Freddy Galvis. Decent hitter, with a little extra base pop. Decent fielder. Can steal a few bags. Don't know if he'll be an everyday player, but a utility guy is a possibility. ETA 2014.

Roman Quinn had a very good debut this year. Very fast, patient, and a decent hitter. Looks like the prototypical leadoff hitter. Plays SS now but could move to 2B or CF to really take advantage of his speed. Will look forward to his full season debut next year. ETA 2016.

Mitchell Walding is one of the trio of SS's they took in 2011. They moved him to 3b. Has some potential. Long ways off though.

Cody Asche had a very good first season of pro ball as most of you know. Ripped all year. Showed some pop in AA. Pretty good fielder. If he can continue to hit for a high average, he might be a nice guy to hit in the 2 hole. Could see him late this year. 2014 more likely.

If Maikel Franco is really 20 years old, he could potentially be a big time player. Has pop, decent approach, good fielder. As he matures, he's only going to get stronger. I could see this kid having a breakout year this year. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Tyson Gillies had a nice year. Not the prospect he once was but could still become a role player. He doesn't steal bases at the clip he used to.

Again, no can't miss guys amongst the hitters, but they have some guys that could fill out different roles and they have some young kids that have potential who are a few years away from making an impact.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:06 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
It would probably take Biddle and Pettibone to start the conversation. The D'Backs want young starting pitching. But those guys may be too young.
They want a shortstop and/or third baseman. They asked for Andrus or Profar from Texas and they said no. As good as Upton is, I thought that was a little far-fetched. Biddle would definitely have to be included along with a bunch of other guys because we have no impact bats. Not sure they would want Pettibone.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
They want a shortstop and/or third baseman. They asked for Andrus or Profar from Texas and they said no. As good as Upton is, I thought that was a little far-fetched. Biddle would definitely have to be included along with a bunch of other guys because we have no impact bats. Not sure they would want Pettibone.
Three team trade:

Phillies get Justin Upton

Rangers get Cliff Lee

Diamondbacks get Elvis Andrus

Old
11-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Three team trade:

Rangers get Cliff Lee

If the Rangers were unwilling to give up Olt for Lee (that was the report, right?), why would they give up Andrus?

Old
11-09-2012, 09:55 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Three team trade:

Rangers get Cliff Lee

We win that trade. Texas gets ****ed.

Frandsen signed a deal yesterday BTW.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Prongo
Beer

Well and there is always this too.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/j...r-teams-110812

Quote:
Philadelphia Phillies. They want a center fielder, and their preference is thought to be B.J. Upton. But the Phillies also are pursuing Cody Ross and other outfielders, and GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said, “We’re keeping all of our options open.”

Hamilton would appear to be a stretch, both from a financial and baseball perspective. But two industry sources say the Phillies are quietly checking on him. While their background work might only be due diligence, Amaro loves to make a splash, loves to surprise.

The fit isn’t great; the Phils frankly need a right-handed hitter more than another left-handed one. On the other hand, Hamilton had an .853 OPS against lefties last season. Upton, a right-handed hitter, was at .792.

The final word: Phillies general partner David Montgomery is probably too image-conscious to seriously consider Hamilton, and the team already has $135.6 million committed for next season, according to Cot’s Baseball Contracts.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
If the Rangers were unwilling to give up Olt for Lee (that was the report, right?), why would they give up Andrus?
Not sure why the Lee for Olt deal fell through. I really think it was more Philly balking than Texas. #1 starters are tough to obtain and I think Philly is unsure about Halladay's future. Cliff Lee is good insurance.

But anyway, the Rangers would be more apt to give up Andrus because Jurickson Profar appears to be ready to make the move to the majors so they already have an in-house replacement for him. What they don't have is enough starting pitching and Lee is better then anything they could get on the open market. I mean right now, Anibal Sanchez who behind Zach Greinke might be the best available SP is asking for 6 years, $90M so it's not like the Rangers are going to get a discount and they certainly aren't getting a Cliff Lee caliber pitcher in UFA.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

Any really good baseball forums out there?

Old
11-09-2012, 11:26 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Newly hired hitting coach Steve Henderson was BJ's hitting coach in Tampa and people are assuming it's to help get BJ signed. Amaro has been in touch with his agent and other baseball people are saying he is our number 1 target.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Newly hired hitting coach Steve Henderson was BJ's hitting coach in Tampa and people are assuming it's to help get BJ signed. Amaro has been in touch with his agent and other baseball people are saying he is our number 1 target.
Get both.

(Not really serious)

Old
11-09-2012, 11:48 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Lets get both Uptons. And get all three Molinas. Except Yadier. Don't like him.

Last edited by King Forsberg: 11-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 12:45 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
I'de rather have the Zimmermanns

Old
11-09-2012, 12:46 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I'de rather have the Zimmermanns
Only one Zimmermann

Old
11-09-2012, 01:36 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

We could really turn into the city of Brotherly Love by acquiring both Schenns, the Uptons, Brooke and Robin Lopez, and sign Tiki Barber and trade for Ronde.

11-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
We could really turn into the city of Brotherly Love by acquiring both Schenns, the Uptons, Brooke and Robin Lopez, and sign Tiki Barber and trade for Ronde.
Don't forget the other Wellwood.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Only one Zimmermann
Believe me I would happily overlook the fact that they're not related.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:40 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Believe me I would happily overlook the fact that they're not related.
Too many Ns!

Old
11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Too many Ns!
bingoooooooooo

Old
11-10-2012, 01:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Nice write up on the prospects, I cherry picked some comments,

Quote:
I see Biddle's ETA as 2014 sometime. Best case, he tears up AA this year and gets a few spot starts in the bigs. Worst case (hopefully), we see him in 2015 after a full season in AAA.
Agreed, it should be very telling after we see what Biddle does in AA in that park. If all goes well then it will be very interesting to see when he gets the call. Imo the phils top prospect by a good bit.

Quote:
I think May and Colvin are destined for the bullpen. Ethan Martin is another guy in the same boat. Way too many walks. Good strikeout numbers. Very good BA against.
I actually could see May end up there at some point, but I would think that he will be one of the starters in AAA next season as Joe Jordan sounded pretty happy with his season despite the ups and downs he had. Colvin is just a mess, back to back tough seasons although I admit I was suprised when I heard he was being called up to AA as it sounded like he was getting back on track in Clearwater after his spell in the pen. I saw him twice in Reading and it wasn't pretty. Will be interesting to see if they move him to the pen at some point and how he responds as he's got the arm but he seems to fall apart at the first sign of trouble.

Martin I only saw at Reading but I was very impressed, will be keeping a close eye on him next year. Heard a lot about his control issues so we'll see how it goes for him.

Quote:
Pettibone is the opposite of the other 3. Not overpowering, good control. Walk rate went up with his AAA promotion, but that's expected. Looks like a #5 starter.
Agreed, he looks like a #5, in some ways I find he's a bit like KK as these are guys that live off keeping the ball down.

Quote:
Julio Rodriguez has already moved to the pen. Good strikeout numbers. A lot of walks. Fly ball pitcher.
I don't know what to make of J Rod, he's got to be doing something right since he does get the K's but have never really been a fan.

Quote:
Bonilla was put on the fast track this year. Wouldn't be shocked to see him at the end of this year. Big time strikeout pitcher. No one hits him. Just needs a little polish
I think Bonilla is one of the top prospects on the team, huge fan. I could also see him on the phils next year at some point.

Quote:
Adam Morgan had a very good first season of pro ball. Another lefty starter who will remain that. Very good control. Ground ball pitcher. Really good changeup. Another guy Amaro spoke of highly. #3 starter upside. Late 2014 ETA.
I was very impressed when I saw Morgan at AA, #3 upside sounds good. Out of Biddle, Morgan, Martin, May and Wright, the phils should be looking at having a couple young arms ready to go within the next 2 years. Can't wait to see what some of them can do.

Quote:
Austin Wright is another lefthanded starter from the 2011 draft. He's a step behind Morgan but had a heck of a first season himself. Decent strikeout and walk numbers. Very good groundball rates. Gets hit around a bit, but a back of the rotation kind of guy.
I also am a big fan of Wright as the big 3 were great in clearwater, with Wright getting named Pitcher of the Year for the FSL, good way to start off his first season as well as Morgan. Should be a lot of fun watching Biddle and Wright in AA next season.

Quote:
Kyle Simon is a guy they got in the Jim Thome trade. He was a starter in the Baltimore origination. They immediately moved him to the bullpen and he was awesome. Crazy sinkerballer.
He's got the crazy sinker and the stash to go with it. Looked sharp in the pen when I saw him, will be keeping an eye on him next year.

Also of interest out of the pen, Tyler Knigge who also had a big year in clearwater along with his teammates Hector Neris and Kenneth Giles. Knigge and Giles both throw hard and might be guys to keep an eye on, Neris started off the year great but I heard good things about him.

Quote:
Tommy Joseph is the top position prospect. Didn't have the year many thought he would and he's struggling in the AZL.
I wouldn't rank him as the top position prospect personally, as I wasn't really impressed with what I saw at Reading although I know they were tinkering with his swing and BA seems to be very high on him. I'd likely have Tocci, Franco or Quinn as the top position prospects at this point but we'll see how he responds next season. Do you think he repeats AA or does he go to AAA?

Quote:
Larry Greene was last year's first rounder. Big power potential. Walks a lot. Strikeout a ton. Plays LF but probably a 1st baseman in the future. Long ways off. Hasn't even played full season ball yet.
I only got to see Greene play 3 times but he showed a good eye at the plate. Agree on him looking like a future 1st baseman but hopefully he'll show more power in his first full season next year.

Quote:
Sebastian Valle was the catcher of the future.
I like Valle's power but his walk rate is a big concern. But I must say, good job by Rube to improve the catching prospects as he got Joseph, Lino and drafted Josh Ludy (who had a big year in the NCAA) to go with Valle and Rupp.

Quote:
Cesar Hernandez is a nice little player. Similar to Freddy Galvis. Decent hitter, with a little extra base pop. Decent fielder. Can steal a few bags. Don't know if he'll be an everyday player, but a utility guy is a possibility. ETA 2014.
I saw him a good bit and I also wonder if he'll be an everyday player but like what i've seen. I know he's good friends with Galvis, as he was struggling early in the year and Galvis sent him some of his bats and then he went on a tear after that. While I really like Gavlis, I'm not so sure just what the phils will have with Hernandez.

Quote:
Roman Quinn had a very good debut this year. Very fast, patient, and a decent hitter. Looks like the prototypical leadoff hitter. Plays SS now but could move to 2B or CF to really take advantage of his speed. Will look forward to his full season debut next year. ETA 2016.
I have to say when I saw the Crosscutters Quinn was by far the most impressive. Holy cow is he fast. The tv announcers were from the opposing team and each time he was up the entire series they kept saying do not put this kid on base, once he gets on base look out. I'm not sure why they are having him learn a new position and to switch hit at the same time, but hopefully it pays off as he could be a very good lead off hitter. He's got to be one of the phils top prospects, can't wait to see how he does in a full season at Lakewood.

Quote:
Mitchell Walding is one of the trio of SS's they took in 2011. They moved him to 3b. Has some potential. Long ways off though.
I don't know what happened to Walding in the 2nd half of the season but he started off great and while I only saw 3 games he also impressed me a lot, he's one I would keep an eye on as I really like his swing and he's got a solid frame.

Quote:
If Maikel Franco is really 20 years old, he could potentially be a big time player. Has pop, decent approach, good fielder. As he matures, he's only going to get stronger. I could see this kid having a breakout year this year. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.
I'm going to assume did in fact recently turn 20. Imo he's the phils top positional prospect if I was forced to pick one (although if Tocci fills out when he gets older and develops power it will likely be him) I know he had a poor start to the year in Lakewood, but for a 19 year old and the way he slowly got better and better as the season wore on I think he had a great year. He's a little on the slow side but I like his approach at the plate and he's got pop for sure. Huge fan of Franco's.

Quote:
Tyson Gillies had a nice year. Not the prospect he once was but could still become a role player. He doesn't steal bases at the clip he used to..
Gillies it's just too bad he can't stay healthy (he's already been injured in winter ball), but he's got a lot of solid tools so if he ever does stay healthy he might turn into something. Another kid in the same boat is Gauntlett Eldemire who looked good for a little in Lakewood but then started to struggle and then was out for the season, too bad as he looks like he's got some tools but injuries have really hit him hard.

Also looking forward to seeing how the 2012 draft picks play out. Dylan Cozens, Andrew Pullin, Zach Green, Hoby Milner, Kevin Brady, Geoff Broussard, Christopher Serritella, Josh Ludy and Cameron Perkins all had good debuts from what i've heard. Watched Ludy and William Carmona in the NCAA and liked what i saw from both. Cozens, Pullin and Green all got a lot of talk about how well they played out of high school. I know Brady dropped in the draft due to the injury he had but they might have something there. Serritella and Perkins out of the NCAA both looked good in rookie ball although it's to be expected since they are older. I know they wanted to rest Shane Watson since he pitched a lot already so we'll see if he's in Lakewood to start next season, will be interesting to see what they might have in him and Gueller.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

I think May and Colvin are destined for the bullpen. Just way too many walks to be successful starting. May you would have to think would be pretty good out of the pen. His strikeout numbers over 150 are very good. Uptick in already good stuff would really help out of the pen. Ideally you want him to start, but he's really going to have to show some improvement in the control department pretty soon to avoid the inevitable. Colvin is running out of chances to be a starter. Really good stuff, but had nearly a .300 batting average against over 130 innings. I don't think there is any chance he is a starter beyond this season.

Ethan Martin is another guy in the same boat. Way too many walks. Good strikeout numbers. Very good BA against. He's got a chance to remain a starter, but again needs to show some improvement in the control department soon. His ETA is 2014 IMO. Maybe next year if he shows well or is moved to the pen.

Pettibone is the opposite of the other 3. Not overpowering, good control. Walk rate went up with his AAA promotion, but that's expected. Looks like a #5 starter. Amaro mentioned him at his end of the year presser which tells me they like him. Spot starter in 2013 IMO.

Bonilla was put on the fast track this year. Wouldn't be shocked to see him at the end of this year. Big time strikeout pitcher. No one hits him. Just needs a little polish.

Kyle Simon is a guy they got in the Jim Thome trade. He was a starter in the Baltimore origination. They immediately moved him to the bullpen and he was awesome. Crazy sinkerballer. Groundball rate near 5 in his minor league career. Decent strikeout numbers, no one hit him, and he didn't walk anyone either. Looks like he is starting in the AZL and the results aren't good. Intriguing guy though.

Seth Rosin they got in the Hunter Pence deal. Didn't pitch much after the trade. Big right hander with potential. Already 24 though and hasn't pitched above high-A. They obviously like something about him though.

Gueller and Watson were their first rounders this year. A long ways off.

Overall, their pitching prospects are intriguing. Aside from Biddle, the starters are of the low end variety, but most every guy on this list has great stuff. Raw but great stuff. I think in a couple of years, our bullpen is going to be very good. Which is part of the reason I wouldn't go out signing relievers to crazy contracts this offseason. These guys combined with guys like Diekman, Aumont, De Fratus won't all pan out, but the odds are that some of them will and will make a big impact.

Tommy Joseph is the top position prospect. Didn't have the year many thought he would and he's struggling in the AZL. Has showed slight improvement in his walk rate in a small sample size. Hopefully its just a long season taking its toll. Next year is a big year for him. ETA 2014.

Sebastian Valle was the catcher of the future. More like the backup of the future now. He's got pop, but does not walk at all which severely limits his offensive upside. Pretty good behind the plate. Still not a bad thing if he only turns out to be a career backup. That's still valuable. Cameo this year but 2014 ETA.

Cody Asche had a very good first season of pro ball as most of you know. Ripped all year. Showed some pop in AA. Pretty good fielder. If he can continue to hit for a high average, he might be a nice guy to hit in the 2 hole. Could see him late this year. 2014 more likely.

Tyson Gillies had a nice year. Not the prospect he once was but could still become a role player. He doesn't steal bases at the clip he used to.

Again, no can't miss guys amongst the hitters, but they have some guys that could fill out different roles and they have some young kids that have potential who are a few years away from making an impact.
Thank you for the scouting report.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:33 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Any really good baseball forums out there?
Fangraphs isn't really a forum, but there is some very intelligent conversation there, you can learn a lot from the writers and posters. If you are looking for just Phillies, SBNation's Philly site is a good one (thegoodphight.com). If you are looking for a site like this, then I have no clue.

Last edited by FlyLife: 11-11-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old
11-10-2012, 10:44 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Yadier's the only one worth a damn!

Old
11-11-2012, 01:34 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I actually could see May end up there at some point, but I would think that he will be one of the starters in AAA next season as Joe Jordan sounded pretty happy with his season despite the ups and downs he had.
Yeah that's smart. It doesn't hurt to have him start as long as he can in the minors. He's definitely got a workhorse frame and starter stuff. I'm just saying if he can't iron out the control issues he's going to the pen. He looks like he could be dominant out of the pen, but his value would be exponentially higher as a starter. Hopefully he has a rebound year and starts to show improvement in his control.

Quote:
I don't know what to make of J Rod, he's got to be doing something right since he does get the K's but have never really been a fan.
Yeah the few times I saw him on TV, he got rocked especially in the Futures game. Stuff wasn't great. Like you said, must be doing something right.

Quote:
I was very impressed when I saw Morgan at AA, #3 upside sounds good. Out of Biddle, Morgan, Martin, May and Wright, the phils should be looking at having a couple young arms ready to go within the next 2 years. Can't wait to see what some of them can do.
Yes, it is nice to see some young arms having success. Aside from Biddle, no high upside guys, but guys that can fill out the back end of a rotation or bullpen which is never a bad thing. They won't all pan out, but there's a good chance some of them will. Interested to see how they build off of the nice years they have moving up a level.

Quote:
Also of interest out of the pen, Tyler Knigge who also had a big year in clearwater along with his teammates Hector Neris and Kenneth Giles. Knigge and Giles both throw hard and might be guys to keep an eye on, Neris started off the year great but I heard good things about him.
Glad you brought them up. I've never seen them and haven't read much about them (read a little about Giles). You can't help but notice Giles and Neris' strikeout numbers. If they can keep them up to a degree, they could make an impact eventually. Knigge was a little old for his level, so we'll see if he can do it over a full season in AA/AAA.

Quote:
I wouldn't rank him as the top position prospect personally, as I wasn't really impressed with what I saw at Reading although I know they were tinkering with his swing and BA seems to be very high on him. I'd likely have Tocci, Franco or Quinn as the top position prospects at this point but we'll see how he responds next season. Do you think he repeats AA or does he go to AAA?
He's certainly not the unanimous top prospect but I think the potential of him being a two way catcher is too much to ignore. Combined with the fact that the other guys are a long ways from the show. I was asking myself the same question about where he starts next year. I think if he had a good AZFL, they may have moved him up. But after his struggles there and during the season and Valle most likely in AAA, I think he repeats AA to start. Maybe if he has a good ST they decide otherwise, but I don't think it hurts to repeat a level after a subpar season. Let him dominate and go from there.

Quote:
I like Valle's power but his walk rate is a big concern. But I must say, good job by Rube to improve the catching prospects as he got Joseph, Lino and drafted Josh Ludy (who had a big year in the NCAA) to go with Valle and Rupp.
Agreed, can never have too much catching depth.

Quote:
I have to say when I saw the Crosscutters Quinn was by far the most impressive. Holy cow is he fast. The tv announcers were from the opposing team and each time he was up the entire series they kept saying do not put this kid on base, once he gets on base look out. I'm not sure why they are having him learn a new position and to switch hit at the same time, but hopefully it pays off as he could be a very good lead off hitter. He's got to be one of the phils top prospects, can't wait to see how he does in a full season at Lakewood.
Really excited about him. Could be a gamechanger. The Phillies have long drafted HS players with tools, but few pan out. Hope this one pans out.

Quote:
I don't know what happened to Walding in the 2nd half of the season but he started off great and while I only saw 3 games he also impressed me a lot, he's one I would keep an eye on as I really like his swing and he's got a solid frame.
Heard good things about he, Quinn, and Tyler Greene after they were drafted. Greene really struggled. Swings and misses a lot. They're still young though.

Quote:
I'm going to assume did in fact recently turn 20. Imo he's the phils top positional prospect if I was forced to pick one (although if Tocci fills out when he gets older and develops power it will likely be him) I know he had a poor start to the year in Lakewood, but for a 19 year old and the way he slowly got better and better as the season wore on I think he had a great year. He's a little on the slow side but I like his approach at the plate and he's got pop for sure. Huge fan of Franco's.
Yep. This is a big year for him. The FSL isn't the greatest hitters league, so it should be a good challenge for him. It's hard not to get excited though.

Quote:
Also looking forward to seeing how the 2012 draft picks play out. Dylan Cozens, Andrew Pullin, Zach Green, Hoby Milner, Kevin Brady, Geoff Broussard, Christopher Serritella, Josh Ludy and Cameron Perkins all had good debuts from what i've heard. Watched Ludy and William Carmona in the NCAA and liked what i saw from both. Cozens, Pullin and Green all got a lot of talk about how well they played out of high school. I know Brady dropped in the draft due to the injury he had but they might have something there. Serritella and Perkins out of the NCAA both looked good in rookie ball although it's to be expected since they are older. I know they wanted to rest Shane Watson since he pitched a lot already so we'll see if he's in Lakewood to start next season, will be interesting to see what they might have in him and Gueller.
Played against Carmona in college. Good hitter from both sides. Two concerns though. They played weak competition and he doesn't really have a position. Played 3rd in college, but not a 3b in pro ball and not exactly a prototypical 1st baseman.

It's nice to talk prospects in the offseason. They don't have the high end guys they had a few years ago but they have solid pitching prospects (especially in relief), potential role players at the upper levels, and high upside guys at the lower levels.

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 11-11-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Prongo
Beer

Seems like ESPN thinks the Phillies could try to acquire Micheal Cuddyer from the Rockies. They say if we dangle one of our top pitching prospects, the Rockies might take on some of his salary too. Wouldn't mind him, but want B.J. and Justin Upton. Pipedream I know, but would be great.

Closed Thread