Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Bettman has always cared more about the fans they dont have yet, then caring about the ones they do have.

At this point I have alot in my life to keep me busy and I've realized I can live without the NHL (atleast for a little while).

Eventually they will damage the very fanbase that has keep this league alive. Continue to bite the hands that feeds you and you might not like what happens.
JJ killed a loyal fanbase, think of markets that don't have the loyal fansbase the bruins have.
Fixed.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:23 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Hopefully, but I am more in the Randy category in terms of how I feel right now. I know I will obviously watch and love hockey...that never goes away but I just dont even notice life without it right now. Furthermore I think both sides are making an incredibly stupid business decision because if hardcore fans like myself, Randy and others have sour tastes than imagine the fringe fan mindset.

I have purposely not even paid attention to it so I dont become more disgruntled, but the NHL has a history of shooting themselves in the foot whenever they gain popularity.
Agree 110%.... Would watch it if on, still love it, don't really miss it. Maybe in January when there is no more NFL 3 nights a week, but right now I don't even think about it..This happens every time they don't have an agreement. Neither side cares until it runs out. Hard to get into something where you can basically write it in pen that every 6 years or so you will have an interruption. The players are very likeable on the ice, but when these things happen, and they scatter all over the world instead of unifying and fighting as a whole, day in and day out it irks me....If 400 of these guys picketed outside the NHL offices every day, this would have been over by now IMO. The owners, well they are just never likeable...except at victory parades :-)

Old
11-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Fire Julien

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Sad 4 fans the only reason #NHL is even meeting #NHLPA 2day was so no one can accuse them of being too stubborn 2 meet. #stillworldsapart

Old
11-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Surprised no one posted this link. Apparently Fehr's memo to the players has been leaked:

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=409136

Way to undermine any shred of progress that has been made this week.

This is exactly why people shouldn't get their hopes up.

I am Boston Strong

Old
11-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Pretty sad that the NBA and NFL both get deals done but the NHL and thier PA most likley sit in a room and not even talk.

Surprised fans have not gatherd in front of the building and started to throw rotten tomatoes.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Surprised no one posted this link. Apparently Fehr's memo to the players has been leaked:

He seems to lightly tred on the 2 most important issues of the lockout, revenue sharing and cap percentages, and focus on somewhat meaningless (in the grand scheme) contractual issues.

He's trying hard to be doom and gloomy...

Old
11-09-2012, 12:02 PM
ap3lovr

Quote:

I hope they can work through it. However that letter has killed any optimism I had going into the weekend. I honestly think if these talks break down, we will see the end of the season.

I hope the owners bring in replacement players and break this union. The fact that players are playing elsewhere during a work stoppage gives me absolutely 0 respect for the NHLPA. If I walk off my job, I stand outside in the cold and picket. I don't go work somewhere else.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:04 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
This league has always cared more about the fans they dont have yet, then caring about the ones they do have.

At this point I have alot in my life to keep me busy and I've realized I can live without the NHL (atleast for a little while).

Eventually they will damage the very fanbase that has keep this league alive. Continue to bite the hands that feeds you and you might not like what happens.
JJ killed a loyal fanbase, think of markets that don't have the loyal fansbase the bruins have.
I dont take any of this personal. Been thru this in all sports- and if I let this stuff get to me I would not follow football, baseball, hockey, or even basketball; if I judged most of my friends on perfection and poor decisions I would have no friends and I'd probably have to learn to shave without a mirror.

I expect them to be back some day- it would be wierd if 200 years from now the last hockey game ever played was the LA Kings winning the Cup; if thats the case I'd have much rather the lockout been been a year earlier so the last goal ever scored in the history of mankind was by Brad Marchand.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
If the season is in doubt, my love of NHL hockey is in doubt.
I've had enough. Life is too short for this bullcrap every few years.
You are too much a fan of hockey and the B's to not return ...I hope.

I am annoyed but am looking forward to the return of the NHL by Jan .

11-09-2012, 12:14 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Allin favor of starting a cout to overthrow D Fehr?

Edit: random thought, south park episode idea, the hurricane victims of new York converge on negotiation location and forcibly remove Bettman and Fehr

Old
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
by this time next week they'll all be smiling as Elvis Costello's version of Whats so Funny 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding, plays in the background.

This is a lock to get done- once both sides know the other is sincere the 'squeezing every last drop has to take place.'

If it is not done this weekend- after a long weekend they will close this by Thursday the 15th latest
I am counting on your optimism

Old
sooshii
SISU

NHL lockout talks: Don’t buy the drama, Cox argues

Quote:
Two things seem abundantly clear.

As much as people want the NHL and NHLPA to be close to a deal on a new collective bargaining agreement, they’re not. At least, there’s no real information or evidence that should lead you to believe that an agreement is at hand. There’s lots of guessing and media speculation, but little real information.*

What about the fact they’re still meeting in New York? Sure, that’s good. But it doesn’t mean they’re agreeing on anything at all.

The second thing you have to avoid is believing that we are at a critical stage, or at the brink, or that D-Day is upon us, or any of the terms bandied about to suggest the talks are at a pivotal moment.

They’re not.
*this was written before the PA memo was leaked.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

The player should agree to a 48-52 split in the owners favor the first year, not reduce the cap, and then slowly put it to 50-50, if the players want the owners to concede on contracts and ufa status they will have to give in the end

This gets done by next week or we lose the season IMO. Point of no return

Old
11-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Shaun
beauty

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: First session is over. NHL and NHLPA will meet again at 2 pm ET

Old
11-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
NHL lockout talks: Don’t buy the drama, Cox argues

*this was written before the PA memo was leaked.
I know these guys have to write something but I really wish they'd just cork themselves. Right now, nobody knows anything. Even that memo doesn't say anything relevatory.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

I never know what to believe with these damn talks. Up one minute, down the next. Unbelievably frustrating. No matter what side is wrong, Bettman needs to be gone. 3 lockouts in 15 years is inexcusable, that wouldn't cut it in any big or small business, nor can i imagine would it fly in the NFL or any highly watched and covered league in the states.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

If the NHL expects me to be happy when they come to a deal they can go **** themselves there was no need for this.

Does everyone see this league is a joke by now NFL has a lockout that misses 1 preseason game has mass media on espn all you hear is the lockout every living second. The NHL network is not even said a peep about this lockout they know there is no season and frankly I was rideing it throught but now that its got this far its over. I am not going to be taken advantage and for granted anymore no more NHL merchendise I will not even go to a game for free I might watch but it took 3 years for the NHL to get me back last time.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
beaverjc

Issue is Fehr is a hired gun. There is zero incentive for him to back down and give an inch. He is being paid to get the best deal he can period. He doesnt care if it takes 5 days, 5 months or 5 years. The longer it takes the better it is in the eyes of Fehr as it makes him look more like a tough negotiator and worth the insane amount I am sure he is paid.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
If the NHL expects me to be happy when they come to a deal they can go **** themselves there was no need for this.

Does everyone see this league is a joke by now NFL has a lockout that misses 1 preseason game has mass media on espn all you hear is the lockout every living second. The NHL network is not even said a peep about this lockout they know there is no season and frankly I was rideing it throught but now that its got this far its over. I am not going to be taken advantage and for granted anymore no more NHL merchendise I will not even go to a game for free I might watch but it took 3 years for the NHL to get me back last time.
Of course you're not going to get anything on ESPN about the lockout. Comparing it to the NFL coverage is ridiculous; ESPN just doesn't cover the NHL, period. As for the NHL Network, it's owned by the league. What do you expect?

Old
11-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Shaun
beauty

we need a hero to save us

Old
11-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
we need a hero to save us

It sure as hell ain't Dupont's BFF.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
I am counting on your optimism
I expect it over by next Thursday- however, my guess is Don Fehr will do a good enough job to leave the owners or some of them all grumpy and we will see this all again when the next opening in the CBA happens....in the end I think they all are pissed off to some degree, the players, the rich owners, the small market, the fans....just smells like it will not leave anyone feeling full

Old
11-09-2012, 02:35 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Issue is Fehr is a hired gun. There is zero incentive for him to back down and give an inch. He is being paid to get the best deal he can period. He doesnt care if it takes 5 days, 5 months or 5 years. The longer it takes the better it is in the eyes of Fehr as it makes him look more like a tough negotiator and worth the insane amount I am sure he is paid.
I thought Fehr worked for the players and not the other way around

Old
11-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

Is anything that was said in this memo unfair at ALL?

Same thing I've heard since the start of this whole process. The players are expected to make 100% of the concessions - and the fans expect them to just take it.

Not gonna happen. Nor should it.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I thought Fehr worked for the players and not the other way around
Just like an agent.

I always laugh when fans get mad at players' agents, as if an agent is doing something a player doesn't want him to do.

Closed Thread