HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2012, 10:05 PM
  #776
Leviathan
Registered User
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
If McDavid is playing in the Super Series games in Ontario on the 8th and the 12th, will he play his games for Erie (in Erie) on the 9th and 10th? I assume he is, but thats a pretty rough schedule for him.

Leviathan is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 10:08 PM
  #777
Gigantor The Goalie
Registered User
 
Gigantor The Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
If McDavid is playing in the Super Series games in Ontario on the 8th and the 12th, will he play his games for Erie (in Erie) on the 9th and 10th? I assume he is, but thats a pretty rough schedule for him.
I thought he was only playing the game in Guelph? I only saw Ruperts name on the Guelph game team roster and I thought thats who he was replacing.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now  
Old
11-06-2012, 10:28 PM
  #778
StormSurge9
Registered User
 
StormSurge9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Guelph, ONT
Posts: 1,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
I thought he was only playing the game in Guelph? I only saw Ruperts name on the Guelph game team roster and I thought thats who he was replacing.
McDavid is only playing in Guelph. He is replacing one of Brendan Gaunce or Lucas Lessio. I believe it was Zach Hall replacing the other.

Rupert was never scheduled to play in Guelph. He is only playing in Sarnia.

StormSurge9 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 06:59 AM
  #779
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Yeah, the McDavid hype train will be speeding down the tracks at TGV speeds.

It's absolutely nuts to me that this kid won't be draft eligible for another 3 years. I wonder when people will start picking him game apart and look for warts. My bet is around mid-season next year.
I'm always the first to jump all over Hockey Canada for their age over skill philosophy when it comes to our junior teams... I'm all for McDavid getting a shot to see just how advanced he is in his developmental curve. I've been saying all along he's 15 going on 18, so now he'll prove to us where's at.. If he manages a couple of points, then the hype machine will be non-stop until draft day 2015. I think I'll even grow tired of it.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:22 PM
  #780
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,273
vCash: 500
I think it's good that he's getting a chance to prove himself, few kids are as good as he is at this age.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:30 PM
  #781
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Every time I watch the kid I find myself trying to come up with a single NHL comparison but it always ends up being some Frankenstein concept of several different players. Last time I watched a junior aged player this unique was...well, guess who.

Connor's got the speed/explosiveness of Phil Kessel, the vision of RNH, and the hands of Pat Kane. His skillset is second to none, it's just some peripheral/physical things that need to evolve and he will be an absolute generational talent. He tends to get beat along the boards and in corners quite a bit but man, he's 15....if he can develop this side of his game, watch out.

maplehawk is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 02:17 PM
  #782
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
He looks less physically mature as Tavares did at 15. I think thats a good thing. Tavares had the advantage of being more physically mature than his peers.

bsmith14 is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 02:54 PM
  #783
WhiskeyYourTheDevils
Registered User
 
WhiskeyYourTheDevils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Every time I watch the kid I find myself trying to come up with a single NHL comparison but it always ends up being some Frankenstein concept of several different players. Last time I watched a junior aged player this unique was...well, guess who.

Connor's got the speed/explosiveness of Phil Kessel, the vision of RNH, and the hands of Pat Kane. His skillset is second to none, it's just some peripheral/physical things that need to evolve and he will be an absolute generational talent. He tends to get beat along the boards and in corners quite a bit but man, he's 15....if he can develop this side of his game, watch out.
Yea, he's a mish mash alright. I find that he thinks the game a lot like Crosby, but he doesn't have the same build. I'd argue that his skillset is on par or better than a lot of Sid's at the same age - specifically around shooting and puckhandling.

If I had to pick only one player to compare him to, it would be . . . Claude Giroux - though McDavid projects to be bigger and more explosive, and possibly more skilled. He's gonna be whale of a player. Best prospect since Crosby in my mind.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
  #784
Leviathan
Registered User
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie said he thinks McDavid has a pretty good shot at the world juniors next year when hes 16.

Leviathan is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 02:17 PM
  #785
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Bob McKenzie said he thinks McDavid has a pretty good shot at the world juniors next year when hes 16.
With another year of development and growth I could see him challenging for the 13th forward spot next year.

bsmith14 is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
  #786
spizzle420
Registered User
 
spizzle420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: T.O.
Posts: 884
vCash: 500
I guess he had limited ice-time but I barely noticed him in yesterday's OHL vs Russia game.

Also, question: Who's supposed to be better... McDavid or Mackinnon..? Ceiling? Now? I also realize they're 3 years apart... comparisons at same age? Thx.

spizzle420 is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
  #787
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spizzle420 View Post
I guess he had limited ice-time but I barely noticed him in yesterday's OHL vs Russia game.

Also, question: Who's supposed to be better... McDavid or Mackinnon..? Ceiling? Now? I also realize they're 3 years apart... comparisons at same age? Thx.
MacKenzie suggested yesterday that scouts feel McDavid has more potential.

bsmith14 is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 02:42 PM
  #788
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,924
vCash: 500
Hard to make comparisons, but I see him as a bit if a Crosby/Toews hybrid.

Nash is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  #789
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,077
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
MacKenzie suggested yesterday that scouts feel McDavid has more potential.
I would agree

R S is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 03:51 PM
  #790
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I would agree
Same here. Mcckinnon is good, but not like Mcdavid.

McDavid is the complete package, the type of player that only come across once in a decade. He is better than tavares IMO, and will be in the WJC next year.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 03:57 PM
  #791
Leviathan
Registered User
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
With another year of development and growth I could see him challenging for the 13th forward spot next year.
Yeah I feel his lack of physical maturity this year will hold him back. That and maybe doing a bit more away from the puck are probably the only things between him and making the WJC team at 16.

Leviathan is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 04:09 PM
  #792
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Yeah I feel his lack of physical maturity this year will hold him back. That and maybe doing a bit more away from the puck are probably the only things between him and making the WJC team at 16.
Connor will play in the U17 this Christmas for a stacked and I mean a completely stacked Team Ontario... Then he'll play in the IIHF U18 World Championship this spring.

Hockey Canada has a rule; no player can compete for an U20 team until he competes or participates in an U18 Tournament/or Training Camp. This is why Mackinnon did not participate in the U20 Summit Series with the Russians this past summer and had to instead play the U18 Ivan Hlinka summer tournament.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 06:01 PM
  #793
Parise9Crosby87
Registered User
 
Parise9Crosby87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: boca raton florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
mcdavid is a beast

Parise9Crosby87 is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 06:04 PM
  #794
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Bob McKenzie said he thinks McDavid has a pretty good shot at the world juniors next year when hes 16.
Unless there's a lockout

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 06:07 PM
  #795
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Yeah I feel his lack of physical maturity this year will hold him back. That and maybe doing a bit more away from the puck are probably the only things between him and making the WJC team at 16.
Take one glance at the kid on the ice yesterday and you could tell he's 15. He could have filled the sheet last night and it still wouldn't have made any difference.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
  #796
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,186
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Hard to make comparisons, but I see him as a bit if a Crosby/Toews hybrid.
Jesus on skates?

SmellOfVictory is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 07:24 PM
  #797
Leviathan
Registered User
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
SH goal for McDavid.

Leviathan is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 07:38 PM
  #798
Leviathan
Registered User
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
adds an assist on Pelech's goal.

Leviathan is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 07:45 PM
  #799
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
already an impressive night statistically and the first period has only just ended.

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 07:50 PM
  #800
Leviathan
Registered User
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
already an impressive night statistically and the first period has only just ended.
Tonight could be the night he rips it up on the scoreboard. He has not had more than 2 points in a game this season despite remarkable consistency. He's due for a 3 or 4 pointer at some point.

Leviathan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.