HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2013 Weather GDT

Old
11-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Someone kindly talk me into buying a snowblower. Please.
It pays for itself on snowfalls like yesterday. 2 hour sessions become 15 minutes on this little investment called a snowblower.

My buddy took his out for the first time yesterday since being a homeowner and he went wild snow blowing driveways for 4 of his neighbours and his own corner house. Heard he had a blast. Lol

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Scrape the roads and sand them?

No! Ice ruts! Lots and lots of ice ruts! Deep enough to make you go sideways at 30 kph should you slip in or out of one!

Good job, roads crews! 98/101 Ave is just a back road anyways, right? Bravo! Bravo!

**** this city.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:55 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Think of all the money you can make going up & down the street clearing neighbours walks
I watched by buddies house last year when we got a good dump of snow. He had a snow blower so I pulled it out for the driveway, then I figured I'd go in front of his house and make a nice spot to park a car. Before I knew it I was at Esso getting more gas as I was just having fun clearing snow.

City really needs to look at the substance that is being used on the henday. The asphalt parts of the henday have next to nothing for ice as the special combo of liquid, salt and sand is meant to get rid of ice. Not like the Cities combo of table salt and 20mm gravel that they use.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Call me crazy but I love this weather. It makes people come together and slows things down. So much fluffy white everywhere. I enjoy shovelling snow too. I don't know what the hells wrong with me, lol. The only thing I dislike is the driving but even then I'm just leaving early and blasting my music, groovin in the car, lol. I'm weird I guess.
+1

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
It pays for itself on snowfalls like yesterday. 2 hour sessions become 15 minutes on this little investment called a snowblower.

My buddy took his out for the first time yesterday since being a homeowner and he went wild snow blowing driveways for 4 of his neighbours and his own corner house. Heard he had a blast. Lol
I can never understand this line of thinking. Shoveling snow properly, and carefully, and with the right type of shovel for the individual is reasonable exercise and I actually enjoy it. Like your friend I enjoy snow shoveling so much I do the neighbors walks and driveways as well. Without a snowblower, by hand, and which actually helps to maintain my muscles and instead of going to the gym serves as a workout. A workout without any hassle of packing a gym bag, driving to gym, and driving back home. All I do is go out the door and pick up a shovel.

In this day and age of convenience, machinery, consumerism we seem to buy every last thing that takes away any exercise we would get in our natural daily tasks. We then proceed to buy several other machines and devices or memberships to have a workout. All the while finding more and more ways to avoid any physical activity in our daily lives.

Unless a person has a heart problem or other health problem I can't see any reason for a snowblower. I'm astounded that younger people in their 20's or 30's would buy one.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Call me crazy but I love this weather. It makes people come together and slows things down. So much fluffy white everywhere. I enjoy shovelling snow too. I don't know what the hells wrong with me, lol. The only thing I dislike is the driving but even then I'm just leaving early and blasting my music, groovin in the car, lol. I'm weird I guess.
Yep. Respect. Its embracing what this place is and the wonder of it when it is. Snow is fascinating in all its forms. Something that most people in the world never get to see but wonder and dream about.

For me theres nothing like helping neighbors by shovelling the backalley, pushing their car out when its stuck, being kind to other drivers on the road when its like this and the commaradery that this all creates.

We don't get earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes here. Much of what the Earth throws at different regions is cataclysmic, fierce, scary, violent etc. But snow falling? This is peaceful, wondrous, a time to just stare out at it in wonder and awe like the first time you ever saw it. One of the most meditative events that nature provides anywhere in the world.

So few people appreciate it. Kudos for grasping it. Keep living in that moment.

ps I'm over 50 and still blasting music in the car as a background. Mind you I have Pete Townshend hearing by now..

ps2

This is my snow falling on pines song...

The best version of it as well. Great concert album and tour that was.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old
11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yep. Respect. Its embracing what this place is and the wonder of it when it is. Snow is fascinating in all its forms. Something that most people in the world never get to see but wonder and dream about.

For me theres nothing like helping neighbors by shovelling the backalley, pushing their car out when its stuck, being kind to other drivers on the road when its like this and the commaradery that this all creates.

We don't get earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes here. Much of what the Earth throws at different regions is cataclysmic, fierce, scary, violent etc. But snow falling? This is peaceful, wondrous, a time to just stare out at it in wonder and awe like the first time you ever saw it. One of the most meditative events that nature provides anywhere in the world.

ps I'm over 50 and still blasting music in the car as a background. Mind you I have Pete Townsend hearing by now..
I consider myself in this category, for the most part. I love winter, I love snow. The only thing I hate, is the morning & afternoon commutes when it's like this. Regular winter driving? No problem. I am tired of 1+ hour commutes for what usually takes 25 minutes, though. Especially when it's been 3 days since the big fall.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
I consider myself in this category, for the most part. I love winter, I love snow. The only thing I hate, is the morning & afternoon commutes when it's like this. Regular winter driving? No problem. I am tired of 1+ hour commutes for what usually takes 25 minutes, though. Especially when it's been 3 days since the big fall.
Yeah, fortunately I have a job where people understand that being late is sometimes a byproduct of this land and that arriving in one piece is the way to go.

I've been impressed as well with the drivers out there on the freeways and with most people quickly getting it, hunkering down, and realizing its just going to take time. Road raging in this is like going to Hawaii and having a meltdown. Just hang loose, you'll get there. Also that theres less places to get to.

Thing about winter is its magic everywhere, magic just looking out the window, magic just out the front door and every picture you take looks like a Christmas postcard.

Except the fender benders, and buses sliding downhills..

But anyway, I was on a groove there.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:06 AM
TheGudge

Quote:

ps I'm over 50 and still blasting music in the car as a background. Mind you I have Pete Townshend hearing by now..
Totally man, embrace it, too many people are wimps today. I was walking along 104ave to meet a girl for a drink, noticed a car up on the curb off 116st that looked abandoned, did a double take and noticed that there was a lady in there, cars kept driving by, so I stopped and helped. Wasn't much help at first with the pushing until another chap saw the scene came over to help get her out and off she went. It's our Canadian duty to help each other like this, it makes us all feel better and that we might actually be part of a community for once.

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:07 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Yeah, fortunately I have a job where people understand that being late is sometimes a byproduct of this land and that arriving in one piece is the way to go.

I've been impressed as well with the drivers out there on the freeways and with most people quickly getting it, hunkering down, and realizing its just going to take time. Road raging in this is like going to Hawaii and having a meltdown. Just hang loose, you'll get there. Also that theres less places to get to.

Thing about winter is its magic everywhere, magic just looking out the window, magic just out the front door and every picture you take looks like a Christmas postcard.

Except the fender benders, and buses sliding downhills..

But anyway, I was on a groove there.
Mmhmm, I'm lucky enough to have a job where getting there, no matter what time, is most important. As such, I'm never stressed on the drives by any means, just a touch annoyed.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

So really..the reality is...don't bother spending money on a snowblower. Just make sure you have an enthusiastic neighbour with one.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:41 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGudge View Post
Totally man, embrace it, too many people are wimps today. I was walking along 104ave to meet a girl for a drink, noticed a car up on the curb off 116st that looked abandoned, did a double take and noticed that there was a lady in there, cars kept driving by, so I stopped and helped. Wasn't much help at first with the pushing until another chap saw the scene came over to help get her out and off she went. It's our Canadian duty to help each other like this, it makes us all feel better and that we might actually be part of a community for once.
Man am I glad I had my wig and lipstick.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:02 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
I can never understand this line of thinking. Shoveling snow properly, and carefully, and with the right type of shovel for the individual is reasonable exercise and I actually enjoy it. Like your friend I enjoy snow shoveling so much I do the neighbors walks and driveways as well. Without a snowblower, by hand, and which actually helps to maintain my muscles and instead of going to the gym serves as a workout. A workout without any hassle of packing a gym bag, driving to gym, and driving back home. All I do is go out the door and pick up a shovel.

In this day and age of convenience, machinery, consumerism we seem to buy every last thing that takes away any exercise we would get in our natural daily tasks. We then proceed to buy several other machines and devices or memberships to have a workout. All the while finding more and more ways to avoid any physical activity in our daily lives.

Unless a person has a heart problem or other health problem I can't see any reason for a snowblower. I'm astounded that younger people in their 20's or 30's would buy one.
As the one who mentioned the blower, I'll comment. I agree with you for young guys, but I'm in my 50s and while I'm in good shape and don't mind shoveling, guys my age have to be aware of the health risks. I'd hate for my wife to find me dead on the driveway. I'm insured but I think she'd hate for that to happen also. I've never used a snowblower but maybe it's time to consider it. I could buy it for my business, write it off and take it home occasionally when needed.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Kamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post

No! Ice ruts! Lots and lots of ice ruts! Deep enough to make you go sideways at 30 kph should you slip in or out of one!

Good job, roads crews! 98/101 Ave is just a back road anyways, right? Bravo! Bravo!

**** this city.
Ha ha I think I had the exact same experience as you on 98 ave this morning, just minding my own business doing maybe 30 kph max and all of a sudden I'm sideways, luckly I recovered quickly and there was no other cars around me.

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Someone kindly talk me into buying a snowblower. Please.
Quote:

Lol. Understand that line of thinking?. It really isn't that complex really. Just because one avoids the shovelling aspect of winter doesn't mean he doesn't mind the exercise. And it's really funny you mentioned excercise and my buddy for he's a professional bodybuilder/N fitness trainer. I don't think excersise is a problem with him. Frankly, I'm sure his chances of avoiding certain injuries while doing it the old fashioned way greatly decreases. Good for him to be honest. I highly doubt he bought that snowblower because its another way to avoid physical activity. That dude lives and breathes fitness.

Hell for me, I'd rather spar a few rounds in the ring than get my exercise shovelling snow. But hey to each their own. With crazy snowfalls such as the one Wednesday, I'll gladly use a snowblower on that 10/10 times and I'm not a lazy individual by any means. In fact, I used my shovelling experience on weds as my workout for the day as I was scheduled to have a training session that day anyways. Haven't had this kind of back soreness, post workout aches, in months. But like I said, I'd rather do deadlifts than shovel snow every single time.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
So really..the reality is...don't bother spending money on a snowblower. Just make sure you have an enthusiastic neighbour with one.
I have to admit. I have an enthusiastic neighbour myself. Lol. He usually takes out his bobcat on blizzard days. Some sort of street hero around my hood.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post

**** this city.
Hopefully you got around safely and without incident besides a squirly driving experience.

11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Lacaar

The first snowfall always turns the city upside down. Everything's been terribly slow even 3 days after.

Weather says we're not supposed to get much more but everytime I look out the window at work today it looks like it's coming down hard. Can be deceiving that way I guess.

Just seems the city is taking an extra long time to recover.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
The first snowfall always turns the city upside down. Everything's been terribly slow even 3 days after.

Weather says we're not supposed to get much more but everytime I look out the window at work today it looks like it's coming down hard. Can be deceiving that way I guess.

Well, to be fair, that was a crap load of snow. And it was early too. Edmonton rarely gets hit hard this early. I expect this in January, not early November.

I must admit that my backyard looks so pristine and picture worthy. Lolol.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
As the one who mentioned the blower, I'll comment. I agree with you for young guys, but I'm in my 50s and while I'm in good shape and don't mind shoveling, guys my age have to be aware of the health risks. I'd hate for my wife to find me dead on the driveway. I'm insured but I think she'd hate for that to happen also. I've never used a snowblower but maybe it's time to consider it. I could buy it for my business, write it off and take it home occasionally when needed.
As an accountant this is the translation folks: keep it at home and use it completely for personal use and then take it to work when the young chap who normally shovels doesn't make it in.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

I usually agree, but I've been doing more driving then I should in this, and it's rough, the roads were horrendous for 2 days and only now, sort of, seem to be coming around.

This isn't the usual "oh is snow, no surprise", this was a gongshow.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I usually agree, but I've been doing more driving then I should in this, and it's rough, the roads were horrendous for 2 days and only now, sort of, seem to be coming around.

Nope but this is the usual outlier snowstorm so one should expect a different set of circumstances to follow. Especially given that it literally has only stopped snowing for a few hours since the big dump on Wednesday.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Man am I glad I had my wig and lipstick.
Grandpa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
Ha ha I think I had the exact same experience as you on 98 ave this morning, just minding my own business doing maybe 30 kph max and all of a sudden I'm sideways, luckly I recovered quickly and there was no other cars around me.
And it hasn't been plowed or sanded even once! lol. It's almost as if Edmonton is giving the middle finger to any commuters from the east! It was terrible last year too - half of the left lane of 101 Ave between 34 St and 17 St was covered in ice/snow for over a month, lol.

Quote:
Hell for me, I'd rather spar a few rounds in the ring than get my exercise shovelling snow. But hey to each their own. With crazy snowfalls such as the one Wednesday, I'll gladly use a snowblower on that 10/10 times and I'm not a lazy individual by any means. In fact, I used my shovelling experience on weds as my workout for the day as I was scheduled to have a training session that day anyways. Haven't had this kind of back soreness, post workout aches, in months. But like I said, I'd rather do deadlifts than shovel snow every single time.
Yup - to add, shovelling introduces all sorts of issues for some of us who have had prior back issues. My driveway is only 18 ft, but it's in a cul-de-sac that gets hit with double the snowfall after winds. A snowblower is very tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hopefully you got around safely and without incident besides a squirly driving experience.
See folks, that's a true gentleman! Doesn't even mention the oasis he lives in. You're one of the good ones, BBO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

Have the roads crews retired and been replaced with narcoleptics? Semi-serious question...

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:55 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
As an accountant this is the translation folks: keep it at home and use it completely for personal use and then take it to work when the young chap who normally shovels doesn't make it in.
Either way works for me. If I buy one, I'll use it in both places. Does one of the 'blowers fit into the back of a Toyota Rav 4 without removing the handles? Anyone know 'bout that?

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Well, sorry to say, I'm over 50, I don't even get winded shovelling heavy snow for hours. Dad was still shovelling when he was 83. He should've stopped it and stopped smoking a pack a day as well...Come from good genes I guess but also that we keep active and always have. People should never look for less ways to be active. Shovelling show can be hard on some people. The solution being simple to pace yourself and allow breathing and stop and time to talk to neighbors and enjoy the scenery.

I don't think that theres anything specifically bad about snow shovelling for the average healthy person. Its a much better option than snowblowing and you're not burning gas, making a racket, etc.