HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|12-8-0-1|Matt Frattin Appreciation Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

vCash: 500
Good on the scratches. Both have been disappointing considering they are supposed to be lynchpins in our offense.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
KlattNazty

Thought about Gardiner:

In each of his college seasons, his game really took off in different ways. His first year, he was playing a pretty offensive game if I recall, but was pretty porous in his own zone. Second year, they had him focused ALOT on his defense, using his speed to shutdown players. His points dropped. Third year, he puts both together and plays PPG top pairing hockey.

His noted problems at this point, was that he could get the puck easily into the offensive zone but sometimes had problems once it was there. Now fast forward, he is nimble as all hell on the point, shifts it from side to side with ease, and lets a laser go from the point whenever he has the chance. The fact he can control the puck with such ease and make the calm and right decision when attacking is improved greatly.

That alone makes me very excited for him to continue at the NHL level, he is constantly improving.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Leaf Rocket - We finally won again and have 4 wins now.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Morlesio14*

Mabye Devane will play. Naz and Colborne need to get going I'm glad they're sitting.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:48 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Thought about Gardiner:

In each of his college seasons, his game really took off in different ways. His first year, he was playing a pretty offensive game if I recall, but was pretty porous in his own zone. Second year, they had him focused ALOT on his defense, using his speed to shutdown players. His points dropped. Third year, he puts both together and plays PPG top pairing hockey.

His noted problems at this point, was that he could get the puck easily into the offensive zone but sometimes had problems once it was there. Now fast forward, he is nimble as all hell on the point, shifts it from side to side with ease, and lets a laser go from the point whenever he has the chance. The fact he can control the puck with such ease and make the calm and right decision when attacking is improved greatly.

That alone makes me very excited for him to continue at the NHL level, he is constantly improving.
Haha I love Gardiner for the lone reason that when people talk about sick prospects in the AHL, they include Gardiner.

I think he's improving like you said, but I don't want to get my hopes too high up. Not too many NHL players could hang with him in terms of skating, the list is even smaller in the A. And when skating is a huge part of his game, it makes him look much better(not sayings he's bad).

Old
11-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
Leaf Rocket - We finally won again and have 4 wins now.
srry been away dude! fixed and gdt thread updated!

11-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Rielly - xxxx
Gardiner - xxxx

sick future top 4.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Morlesio14*

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Shut down dman, Finn?, Gunarsonn?

Old
11-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I wonder how we will go against the rampage, they aren't doing that great either as they are just a game ahead of the stars who we just won against but they have a young crew and just might find their groove against us.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

I might lose it, but I need to stay calm....As a canucks fan, watching the treatment on kadri is disgusting.

Reminds me of the hodgson situation back in the day, If you guys trade this kid, you guys will regret it for a long ****ing time.

He has been average this year, but nowhere near a scratch, lunacy.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I might lose it, but I need to stay calm....As a canucks fan, watching the treatment on kadri is disgusting.

Reminds me of the hodgson situation back in the day, If you guys trade this kid, you guys will regret it for a long ****ing time.

Toronto Maple Leaf pick, and then the fact he's a high pick. He's on the right path. He needed to be scratched though because I think he's frustrated, he's been having golden chances, along with Colborne who has picked up his game but couldn't produce no matter how hard they tried. Three game weekend so another thing is to re-assess and let those who are up and coming play against another team who's been struggling or in the bottom areas as us recently.

As far the Kadri treatment, it's just the impatience of the fanbase. I am not worried about his development because skilled players take their sweet time. He's fine and I've seen the changes and strides he has made since he first hit the ice with our jersey and if you take a step back and observe it with an unbiased view, you definitely will realize he has come a long way. However, remember few members here who have waited for a long time, so they believe it's just the same old tale of repeating the process of getting a new shiny toy who won't come to do anything for them.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:

Unless he tanks once traded, then we will say we knew he was a bust all along and won the trade by a mile.

Don't think that will happen. But I will say I think he eventually gets traded and the trade is the thing that really kick starts him into taking things super seriously and that is when he really takes off. Hate to say it but Kadri may have a few good seasons in Toronto, but I think his BEST years will come while playing for another team.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Toronto Maple Leaf pick, and then the fact he's a high pick. He's on the right path. He needed to be scratched though because I think he's frustrated, he's been having golden chances, along with Colborne who has picked up his game but couldn't produce no matter how hard they tried. Three game weekend so another thing is to re-assess and let those who are up and coming play against another team who's been struggling or in the bottom areas as us recently.

As far the Kadri treatment, it's just the impatience of the fanbase. I am not worried about his development because skilled players take their sweet time. He's fine and I've seen the changes and strides he has made since he first hit the ice with our jersey and if you take a step back and observe it with an unbiased view, you definitely will realize he has come a long way. However, remember few members here who have waited for a long time, so they believe it's just the same old tale of repeating the process of getting a new shiny toy who won't come to do anything for them.
You said something right here that is confusing,

If he got golden chances, and he was playing "hard", then sitting him is imo the worst possible thing you can do, His confidence is probably destroyed.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Unless he tanks once traded, then we will say we knew he was a bust all along and won the trade by a mile.

Don't think that will happen. But I will say I think he eventually gets traded and the trade is the thing that really kick starts him into taking things super seriously and that is when he really takes off. Hate to say it but Kadri may have a few good seasons in Toronto, but I think his BEST years will come while playing for another team.
Yes, I suggested that in the kadri discussion thread, I think a change of scenery might do him well, But I think he could succeed in toronto if he gets a real opportunity and not have his face dragged in the sand.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
You said something right here that is confusing,

If he got golden chances, and he was playing "hard", then sitting him is imo the worst possible thing you can do, His confidence is probably destroyed.
After 10 games the mental fatigue can take a toll. Also remember we are carrying prolly 5 forward lines, it's a good idea for fresh-lings to duke it out to get a solid chance to finalize spot while these two pretty much have their spot secured.

Not really, not always sitting is a bad thing, sometimes you need to take a step back to accelerate faster than ever.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Yes, I suggested that in the kadri discussion thread, I think a change of scenery might do him well, But I think he could succeed in toronto if he gets a real opportunity and not have his face dragged in the sand.
That's impossible though which is why I don't think he will ever reach his best as a maple leaf.

I remember earlier this year, Kadri is all alone in deep and does a sweet toe drag and gets a great chance out of it. Doug MacLean rips on him for doing it.

Just not possible for him to not be criticized. I think it is inevitable that he leaves Toronto personally, I just hope we still get return for what his potential is because he still has it and I believe he will begin to reach it once he leaves.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:20 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
He's kind of redundant anyway, as they haven't really groomed him as a center.

They should have had more patience and thrown him permanently into the center ice position on the Marlies and lived with the consequences.

As much as people will claim he's playing center if you watch he's often on the wing.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
11-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
He's kind of redundant anyway, as they haven't really groomed him as a center.

They should have had more patience and thrown him permanently into the center ice position on the Marlies and lived with the consequences.

As much as people will claim he's playing center if you watch he's often on the wing.
Colborne played in the wing in college, he is playing center here. Do you know why? So he can learn and tune his defensive game and he was good at it, even though he was drafted as a center. Kadri in the best junior league played centre and now in the pro he's playing wing and he's being groomed to play center as he learns the ropes of his defensive game. Our best center, arguably the hardest forward in the leafs started out as a winger, Mikhail Grabovski, you can now say he is one of the top second line centers in the league as he does it all.

Logan Couture started at the Left wing with the sharks and Couture as a right winger with the Phantoms. He played half of last season in the center, and he has played half of this young season as a center as well. I can't express this enough but players always take different routes. Jonathan Huberdeau played as a LWer for a panthers does that mean he isn't a top center prospect either?

Old
11-09-2012, 10:34 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Colborne played in the wing in college, he is playing center here. Do you know why? So he can learn and tune his defensive game and he was good at it, even though he was drafted as a center. Kadri in the best junior league played centre and now in the pro he's playing wing and he's being groomed to play center as he learns the ropes of his defensive game. Our best center, arguably the hardest forward in the leafs started out as a winger, Mikhail Grabovski, you can now say he is one of the top second line centers in the league as he does it all.

Logan Couture started at the Left wing with the sharks and Couture as a right winger with the Phantoms. He played half of last season in the center, and he has played half of this young season as a center as well. I can't express this enough but players always take different routes. Jonathan Huberdeau played as a LWer for a panthers does that mean he isn't a top center prospect either?
LR we know how you feel.

Kadri is more likely to be traded for a center than ever be one in the NHL.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:01 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:

It's just a wake up call for two of the clubs best prospects. When your clubs best players have been average it's far from lunacy to sit them. Just an accountability check

Old
11-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
LR we know how you feel.

Kadri is more likely to be traded for a center than ever be one in the NHL.
I know how I feel and I also know how others feel. However I don't have to be a Kadri or a Leaf fan to see when we are kicking a dog when it's already down for the count. Every dog has his day. Gilbert Brule produced 4 points in 7 games, then produced 19 points in 78 games. In total of .27 PPG. Career .35 at the NHL.

This guy gets basically killed over his play and his defense while he has produced in every level atleast near PPG. It's damn frustrating because we did the exact same crap when we had Tlusty and Kadri has damn more skill than Jiri. If we trade him for a center who's young, say a Tavares then yes that's a gold trade and a price we should be more than happy to accept but if it's for a guy who has proven zilch in the bigs just for the sakes of trades then hell to the no. If the phillys had done the same thing with Richards, Carter, and Giroux, damn it man they would be the ones in the ground and out for the count. 21 year old Jeff carter a center had 19 points in 82 games, bust. While 20 year old Mike Richards had 34. For the record all of them played winger before settling in that spot. Anyways. I'll just continue with my life and see how things roll

Old
11-10-2012, 09:24 AM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
I know how I feel and I also know how others feel. However I don't have to be a Kadri or a Leaf fan to see when we are kicking a dog when it's already down for the count. Every dog has his day. Gilbert Brule produced 4 points in 7 games, then produced 19 points in 78 games. In total of .27 PPG. Career .35 at the NHL.

This guy gets basically killed over his play and his defense while he has produced in every level atleast near PPG. It's damn frustrating because we did the exact same crap when we had Tlusty and Kadri has damn more skill than Jiri. If we trade him for a center who's young, say a Tavares then yes that's a gold trade and a price we should be more than happy to accept but if it's for a guy who has proven zilch in the bigs just for the sakes of trades then hell to the no. If the phillys had done the same thing with Richards, Carter, and Giroux, damn it man they would be the ones in the ground and out for the count. 21 year old Jeff carter a center had 19 points in 82 games, bust. While 20 year old Mike Richards had 34. For the record all of them played winger before settling in that spot. Anyways. I'll just continue with my life and see how things roll

This!

Old
11-10-2012, 09:34 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:

Agreed he has been mismanaged but I do believe benching him was a good move and hopefully works like a reset button but he should be put back today. He has insane potential and he just needs to break in.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:40 AM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

This season so far is not what I expected

I think rynnas would be left out as scrivens would be awesome and owuya would be great. Now rynnas is better than both of them.

I thought after the injuries kadi and colbourne (and eventually frattin) would be back with a bang. They are being upped by the rookies.

Total opposite lol

Old
11-10-2012, 09:44 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
This season so far is not what I expected

I think rynnas would be left out as scrivens would be awesome and owuya would be great. Now rynnas is better than both of them.

I thought after the injuries kadi and colbourne (and eventually frattin) would be back with a bang. They are being upped by the rookies.

Total opposite lol
I know. I thought Scrivens would also be great and Owuya would eventually steal Rynnas' spot. Not only that Kadri trained with Roberts over the summer so I had huge expectations for him. He has improved in some areas but he just isn't producing. Plus I don't see him fall nearly as much as he used to. I also expected Colborne to skate better and with his healed fingers to get back to the state he was beginning of last season. I hope all three of these guys can jump back to being great players. These were three players that were most likely to get a spot in the leafs roster this year.

Closed Thread