HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Petr Mrazek

Old
11-08-2012, 09:46 AM
ginnungagap

vCash: 500
He looks like he's grown quite a bit to me- I'd guess 6'1 or 6'2 and bulked up some too. It's early but he just has all the intangibles (to go along with great natural skill) to definitely make me think he's the real deal.

ginnungagap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
He was the most clutch goalie for the 67s in years. You needed a big save and Mrazek would give it to you. I'm not surprised that he's doing well so far in the A. Kid is a gamer. He wants to be the best and wont stop working his butt of until he is.
LOved watching him last year in Ottawa too... and can't argue that he's not making every efforts to get there.

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I like him a lot, but the dangerous thing about a goalie who feeds off confidence is if he loses it.
True, see Campbell, Jack.

I think he mentally stronger at the same age, which will help him a lot, it also helps that he's in pro hockey, better resources are available to him..

IHaveNoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:55 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
How does Nyquist's game look overall, away from the puck and in the defensive zone? Has he put on some bulk? - he was a twig last year.
Nyquist has always been good defensively, he loves to pull those Datsyuk style take aways which only really started after playing on his line last year which I find very cool. Definitely consider him a good 2 way player who always wants the puck back.

Size is always the question. If he had all his talent and was 6'2 I would bank on him being a future all star. At 5'11 and skinny I'm iffy but hes improved his size and strength quite a bit this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
My favorite thing about Mrazek is his cocky, but awesome, attitude.
I usually hate cocky players (Subban) but the one exception is a goalie. I dont care how you act as long as you save the puck and get the job done. It seems like Mrazek has that mental aspect down pat and is actually legit size to be an NHL goalie. I always thought he was tiny but have seen him listed above 6 feet everywhere so I have hopes of him becoming a starter

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
I'd like to see him play more. Saw him play at the Juniors last year, I liked his enthusiasm and energy. He was having fun and I liked what I saw in him. However he wasn't the best goalie in that tournament. I'd put him in the top 3 out of the goalies in that tourney with Aittokallio being the most impressive. Both goalies, Mrazek and Aittokallio, stole wins from the US, though obviously one went farther then the other. Anyways, like I said I'm very interested to see how Mrazek's progressing. I personally think he's quite the gem of a goalie prospect, although he does have a ways to go yet.
Comparative bias

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:16 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Comparative bias
No kidding. I hate when people do that and especially when it's so glaringly obvious.

He saw a thread about Mrazek and wanted to put in his two cents on a goalie prospect from his favorite team.

Anyways, Mrazek's great, he has that world beater attitude that's going to take him a long way an earn him a lot of fans in the process. He's also probably one of the rare prospects that's beloved by fans of every team. No one ever has a bad thing to say about the guy.

IHWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:16 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Mrazek's like 6:2 isn't he ? What's the talk about his size ?

Old
11-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Mrazek's like 6:2 isn't he ? What's the talk about his size ?
He was 5'11" when drafted, some people don't realize that some kids grow past the age of 18

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:40 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
He was 5'11" when drafted, some people don't realize that some kids grow past the age of 18
Athletes also straight up lie about their height constantly. In pretty much all sports athletes are only officially measured at the draft, but many will later list themselves as 1-2" taller than said measurements. In reality it's pretty rare for males to grow 1+ inches after their 18th birthdays, but if you go by the heights athletes list you'd think it happens all the time. Many athletes will list themselves as taller than they are in order to seem like better prospects, to give themselves a better chance to get a shot in the NHL. For example, from the last draft Galchenyuk always lists himself at 6'2", but he was measured at 6'0.5". Ceci lists himself as 6'3", but he was measured at 6'1.5". Some other players are actually listed as being shorter than they are (Rielly was measured at 6'0.5" but was listed at 6', Grigorenko was measured at 6'3" but listed at 6'2", etc.). Height listings are unreliable, Grigorenko is literally 2.5" taller than Galchenyuk, but is listed as the same height:
http://ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/6534
http://theqmjhl.ca/roster/show/id/8711

I haven't seen Mrazek play this year, but watching him last year I always felt like he had just slightly below average size. I doubt he's actually 6'2", my guess is more like 6' or 6'1", he doesn't look huge in the net. Still fine size, just a touch below average in an era where goalies are getting bigger and bigger.

Honestly, sorry I brought this up, it was just an offhand comment originally, as I felt watching him that he wasn't a really big guy like so many top goalie prospects, but that he more than made up for it with great quickness/reflexes. Obviously he is not tiny like an Enroth or Toskala.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:08 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

He's been solid so far in Grand Rapids... Hopefully he can keep it up this weekend

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:02 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Athletes also straight up lie about their height constantly. In pretty much all sports athletes are only officially measured at the draft, but many will later list themselves as 1-2" taller than said measurements. In reality it's pretty rare for males to grow 1+ inches after their 18th birthdays, but if you go by the heights athletes list you'd think it happens all the time. Many athletes will list themselves as taller than they are in order to seem like better prospects, to give themselves a better chance to get a shot in the NHL. For example, from the last draft Galchenyuk always lists himself at 6'2", but he was measured at 6'0.5". Ceci lists himself as 6'3", but he was measured at 6'1.5". Some other players are actually listed as being shorter than they are (Rielly was measured at 6'0.5" but was listed at 6', Grigorenko was measured at 6'3" but listed at 6'2", etc.). Height listings are unreliable, Grigorenko is literally 2.5" taller than Galchenyuk, but is listed as the same height:
http://ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/6534
http://theqmjhl.ca/roster/show/id/8711

I haven't seen Mrazek play this year, but watching him last year I always felt like he had just slightly below average size. I doubt he's actually 6'2", my guess is more like 6' or 6'1", he doesn't look huge in the net. Still fine size, just a touch below average in an era where goalies are getting bigger and bigger.

Honestly, sorry I brought this up, it was just an offhand comment originally, as I felt watching him that he wasn't a really big guy like so many top goalie prospects, but that he more than made up for it with great quickness/reflexes. Obviously he is not tiny like an Enroth or Toskala.
No anymore size is a legit conversation with goalies without a doubt it was worth bringing up. Conut me in your boat, I HIGHLY doubt hes 6'2 but I would say hes at least 6 feet which with his athleticism is completely fine size

Old
11-08-2012, 08:48 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

At the WJC's he looked big to me...

Granted I'm not talk but he certainly wasn't my height.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
Mrazek is 6"1, hes not huge like some goalies but i wouldn't exactly call him small, heck Jimmy Howard is only 6"0.
I realize that he has grown, just saying 2 years ago I honestly had a hard time believing he was even 5'10".

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
No kidding. I hate when people do that and especially when it's so glaringly obvious.

He saw a thread about Mrazek and wanted to put in his two cents on a goalie prospect from his favorite team.

Anyways, Mrazek's great, he has that world beater attitude that's going to take him a long way an earn him a lot of fans in the process. He's also probably one of the rare prospects that's beloved by fans of every team. No one ever has a bad thing to say about the guy.
I was just comparing the two goalie prospects that stood out the most that tourney for good reasons. I said Aittokallio was better in that tourney, not that he's better then Mrazek overall. Which one is going to be the better goalie? Who knows. I'm looking forward though to both becoming NHL starters.

Mrazek is full of enthusiasm and energy. With every save he becomes better, especially if its a big save. I can see him having fun with the media, ala Martin Brodeur early in his career. This should be a fun season for him, he's already jumped from the ECHL to the AHL quickly and will keep on improving.

The only thing glaringly obvious is your hate.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:41 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
I was just comparing the two goalie prospects that stood out the most that tourney for good reasons. I said Aittokallio was better in that tourney, not that he's better then Mrazek overall. Which one is going to be the better goalie? Who knows. I'm looking forward though to both becoming NHL starters.

Mrazek is full of enthusiasm and energy. With every save he becomes better, especially if its a big save. I can see him having fun with the media, ala Martin Brodeur early in his career. This should be a fun season for him, he's already jumped from the ECHL to the AHL quickly and will keep on improving.

The only thing glaringly obvious is your hate.
You're right. I hate it when people try and steer a discussion.

Mrazek was the best goalie in the past WJC. Wanna know how I know? http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...72/la_id/1.htm

Old
11-09-2012, 08:23 AM
wings5

Praying he can turn into even half the goalie Hasek was for Detroit.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
As types of goalie Don't expect anything like Hasek... but as your comments refer more to Hasek like performance... he has all the tools and an attitude to turn these tools into an very interesting NHL career.

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
You're right. I hate it when people try and steer a discussion.

Mrazek was the best goalie in the past WJC. Wanna know how I know? http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...72/la_id/1.htm
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/scores/boxscore/?id=1771631
Just saying in their only game against each other in that tourney, Aittokallio came out on top with the shutout. Anyways good for Mrazek on being named the to the All-Star team. Like I said before those two goalies are the ones I thought that stood out the most that tourney which is the only place I've seen both play as of yet. Depending on how people dissect the game they are both interchangeable as the top and second best goalie.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Hasek early 2000s maybe.

Hasek's second Detroit stint was terrible.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:45 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hasek early 2000s maybe.

Hasek's second Detroit stint was terrible.
It wasn't that bad...

The playoffs were, but overall he was solid.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:43 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/scores/boxscore/?id=1771631
Just saying in their only game against each other in that tourney, Aittokallio came out on top with the shutout. Anyways good for Mrazek on being named the to the All-Star team. Like I said before those two goalies are the ones I thought that stood out the most that tourney which is the only place I've seen both play as of yet. Depending on how people dissect the game they are both interchangeable as the top and second best goalie.
Ugh. This place drives me nuts sometimes and I'm not going to keep provoking you into talking about Aittokallio...that's not what this thread is about.

If you only saw Mrazek where everyone else has seen him about 10 months ago...why comment at all? Sometimes it's ok to just read and see if other who have seen him play recently have any interesting insight into his play.

Start an Aittokallio thread if that's what you're into talking about.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
newfy

I think hes supposed to be getting the start in net tonight again for the griffs, 3 game win streak I think right now. Grand Rapids has always been able to score but they gave up weak deflating goals allt he time with Mccollum. Mrazek gives them a chance to win against everyone, especially if Nyquist and Tatar keep tearing up the AHL like they are

Old
11-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
It wasn't that bad...

The playoffs were, but overall he was solid.
We'd still have 10 Cups if we hadn't pulled him.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:30 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
We'd still have 10 Cups if we hadn't pulled him.
I'm not saying that you guys shouldn't of... I'm just saying his regular season wasn't bad.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
I'd be happy if he turns out to be a winner like Osgood. Three cup rings are nothing to balk at.

Oh, and Chris Osgood (who should be inducted in the Hall Of Fame) was only 5'10". Goalie height is overrated.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote