HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Champions style league

Old
10-02-2012, 12:18 PM
saffronleaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
The fairest way would be a 16-team tournament.

4 NHL teams (2 USA, 2 Canada)
4 KHL teams
2 Swe teams
2 Fin teams

3 teams depend on a european bracket between the best German, Swiss, Czech and Slovakian teams
1 the team that wins the highest European honor... Right now it seems like its the Continental Cup (Dragon en Route of France won)

So one or no swiss teams ?
Do you know that only the swiss teams have defeated NHL teams ? ZCS Lions won Victoriacup vs Chicago Blackhawks and Zug defeated New York Rangers (with full roster) some months ago.
To be honest, that's a bit eurocentric and not reflective of the proportion fans, finance and talent in the world for hockey.

I think a 16-team champions league with 8 NA teams and 8 Euro teams would be more fair. 4 KHL, 1 SEL, 1 SM-liiga, 1 DEL, 1 NLA.

I think there's a good chance that the NHL will expand to 32 teams and have 8 per conference (like the realignment proposal from the NHL). 2 teams per conference from the NHL.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:53 PM
GBG Glenn

Don't think the players would take the tournement so serious. There is a tournement called "Europe Trophy (?)" that pretty much no one follows.

GBG Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:03 PM
hz

The biggest problem with ET is invitation only, no KHL-teams, small price money, to much games, and to much games during pre season.

I think they shuold copy CL, 32 temas 8 groups. 4 places for 4 best russian KHL-team, SEL, NLA, DEL, SM-liga and extraliga (third team in czech gets to qualify against Lev Praha) gets 3 team each. KHL-teams, Riga, Minsk, Donbass, Barys and Slovan qualify's against best domestic league team. Last league to receive automatic berth is EBEL. That gives 24 teams. Then the best teams from Denmark, Italy, Norway, GB, France, Poland, Holland, Romania, Slovenia, Austria, Hungary and Croatia qualification rounds. For the 4 latter countries, it only applies to those countries who do not receive a place via EBEL berth.

Then the champions faces the Stanley Cup winner in a super final. I think it's impossible to get NHL-teams to compete in the actual tournament.

hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Thesensation19

4 NHL teams (2 USA, 2 CAN)
4 KHL teams

After this. The IIHF will rank the rest of the leagues around the world (no AHL).

I would suggest to make 20 final teams so you can have 4 groups of 5 teams each.

Were looking at:
Finland, Sweden, Czech, Swiss, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovakia and some others maybe. The IIHF will rank them in strength of league, popularity and according to the rankings the league is allowed to send 1 or 2 teams. And I would like at least one of the teams to their leagues champions. My predictions below as follows in ()

The next 3 leagues are allowed to send in 2 teams. (Sweden, Swiss, Finland)
The next 3 leagues are allowed to send 1 teams. (Czech, Germany, Austria)

That makes 17 teams and leaves 3 open

Idk how, but leave it open in some way where you can have underdogs and dark horse teams fight their way into the big show. Take 1 from another smaller Euro tourny, or make a qualifier where a dozen of Europes best and popular compete for final 3 or 2 or whathave you...

Like Soocer/Football, I would like the NHL season to take breaks from time to time and allow for a few days for tournaments like this... or national games for qualifying or Olympics or whatever.

- Cut the NHL season from 82 to 66 or so. Every so often take an NHL break like the all star game and use the time to play these kind of tournaments or focus on international hockey.

- Allow the NHL to host all games in their group for revenue and profit. Allow the NHL teams or NHL to host the knockout stage games. I expect not all the group games to be heavily in demand so it would make for cheap tickets that fans die for.

- The 20 players on the roster for 3rd,2nd and 1st place get prize money. To be allowed on knockout stage roster you have to have played a certain amount in the group stages.

- Many NHLers will be told not too, some will choose not too play for the tournament and focus energy on nhl games only. I am sure there will be plenty who would like the chance though to play as much as they can to represent the team and themselves. Others who wont or cant play can be replaced by the reserve guys. Best way for the coach to really get to know his young guys or farm players. Gives young kids more of a chance to play and show their stuff. Gives guys maybe like Redden to don a Ranger jersey again because cap wont be an issue and there might be space on Defense. A lot of the Euro guys have farm teams or junior squads too. Im fine with not seeing Gaborik in on these nights and see guys like Ryan Bourque get a shot on the roster. But it wont get rid of all the skill, players love playing and they will want the money they think they can win.

Rink size is a factor. I would like to keep it NHL rink size, IIHF rules. Olympic 2010 status.

The 82 to 66 game season is a plus, a lot of teams are complaining that they lose money for the first 2 months of the year. Some complain they lose money at the end.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Thesensation19

I think an idea like mine is ideal...

NHL owners would love for the players to make a name for themselves as long as they are playing under their jersey and doing it to win games for their teams, not others. Also its a plus for NHL owners to make revenue... Its a plus for fans to go to games that are cheaper as well, so many people i know cant or refuse to spend the $$ you see.

It gives the NHL teams the ability to try out their draft picks, give guys some attempts and get closer to all players.

European teams playing NHL teams are always a plus. Huge showcase for them.

Best thing is that I think there are many teams in Europe that could compete in such a tournament. I feel like you can see some classic upsets, some good games.

Its really good for hockey too, NHL and IIHF working together for hockey growth which effects their own growth as well.

If cutting the NHL season down, or doing this throughout the season is forbidded (idk why) then I would like to see this at least pre season. At least do it early season, before WINTER CLASSIC.

I wnat to seeeeeee NHL vs other teams hahaha

NHL season...
September 1st training camp and 20 teams are set for tournament
Sept- Oct some group games
Oct 15th season starts

Nov- Break for group games

December- Break to finish group games

best 2 from each group go into bracket...

Jan 1st- Winter Classic

Jan 20th- All star week and CHampions league final four.

Finish the season in April

NHl playoffs... STANLEY CUP, WC etc.

Every 2 years have a World Cup of Hockey... Every 2 years rotating that Olympics
Every year WC.

I WANT MORE HOCKEY lol

Old
10-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBG Glenn View Post
Don't think the players would take the tournement so serious. There is a tournement called "Europe Trophy (?)" that pretty much no one follows.
Europeans will follow games that are against the NHL

The NHL will have a hard time getting people to follow games against Europeans, but if they host the games then they can make money. They can even supply cheap tickets... more people would go and you can grow your teams popularity in the mean time.

Not every NHL player will take it serious but...

1) You hold prize money. Victoria cup had the winning team all receive like 20,000 dollars. Have the 3rd, 2nd and 1st place team have prize money. So more players will be keen on wanting to play. You still will find yourself with a differ full roster though...

2) So you replace the guys who wont spend their time and energy on this tournament and fill it with the dozens of prospects and AHL or ECHL guys you have. These guys will take this chance seriously to prove to their coach they can play at a top level and fill in roles. Im sure 3rd and 4th liners will have no problem doing the same and taking more serious roles to sharpen their skills throughout the season.

3) Even though their is prize money, it only goes to the knockout stage rosters. The knockout stage rosters cannot change after a certain point and they can only be made up of players who played a certain amount during the group stage. To prevent good worthy players from losing a job because all of a sudden a superstar wants to make a pretty penny.

4) European players will love the chance with the spotlight on them to play NHL players and teams.

5) Gives back up goalies more of a chance to play... gives prospect goalies more time to play and get extra time in.

I think their will be some upsets and the tournament will hit big... if done correctly and marketed well.
Huge thing is live television... website... youtube videos andddd cheap tickets

I think the cheap tickets are a must. You can increase it as the tournament gets more serious but a game agains the Sweden 2nd team you can allow cheap tickets for fans to enjoy and watch.

I can see not an NHL team winning this tournamnet because its knockout and that can cause a stur. A stur in the hockey world like that could make it bigger around the world and permit this every year. Plus i wanna see who would win

Old
10-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
To be honest, that's a bit eurocentric and not reflective of the proportion fans, finance and talent in the world for hockey.

I think a 16-team champions league with 8 NA teams and 8 Euro teams would be more fair. 4 KHL, 1 SEL, 1 SM-liiga, 1 DEL, 1 NLA.

I think there's a good chance that the NHL will expand to 32 teams and have 8 per conference (like the realignment proposal from the NHL). 2 teams per conference from the NHL.
I guess more fair... but 8 NHL teams would increase the already huge odds they haveto win. This is about whose country has the best hockey team... thats it. So give each league an ability to send its best and the worlds best and see who ends up on top.

-NHL hosts games
-Prize Money
-Gives prospects, role players, reserves more chance to show their stuff
- NHL and IIHF working together to grow the game
- Gives more ability to showcase teh WORLDS best talent.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

I like the idea but I would do the Champions League every 2 years.

2014 Olympics
2015 Champions League
2016 World Cup of Hockey
2017 Champions League

We need the NHL & IIHF to be more in sync with each other and participate mutually. A Champions League could surely work if there is more space between the tourney (like the proposed 2 years) and if the NHL sanctioned full participation. Perhaps if the NHL takes control in helping organize the Champions League & even the World Cup while recognizing and respecting the level of competition from other leagues, it could really take off. The CL trophy shouldn't be more important than say, the Stanley Cup, but perhaps they could create a meaningful trophy that can capture the essence of the SC on a world wide scale.

With respect to the World Championships, I think they should stay the course, or perhaps also switch to a 2 year schedule as to not overlap with the Olympics & World Cup.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

I forgot, make a different country host each World Cup, like in soccer. Also do the same for the Champions League. Imagine, the 2015 IIHF Champions League hosted by Poland/Ukraine or the 2016 World Cup of Hockey hosted Germany. Make a spectacle and an event out of it, the crowds and the interest will follow. The problem now is these things are poorly organized and poorly marketed.

We def need to "soccerfy" the sport a bit, it wont hurt. Can even grow the game in new territories such as England, France, etc.

Some examples

2017 IIHF Champions League hosted by United States
2019 IIHF Champions League hosted by Sweden/Finland
2020 World Cup of Hockey hosted by Czech/Slovakia
2021 IIHF Champions League hosted by England
2023 IIHF Champions League hosted by Canada
Etc...

Old
11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Want to add another thing. I would have no problem with the NHL icing so-called "B" squads with part of the big club players and part prospects from the AHL. If its only a few spots then I wouldn't mind too much.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
I forgot, make a different country host each World Cup, like in soccer. Also do the same for the Champions League. Imagine, the 2015 IIHF Champions League hosted by Poland/Ukraine or the 2016 World Cup of Hockey hosted Germany. Make a spectacle and an event out of it, the crowds and the interest will follow. The problem now is these things are poorly organized and poorly marketed.

We def need to "soccerfy" the sport a bit, it wont hurt. Can even grow the game in new territories such as England, France, etc.

Some examples

2017 IIHF Champions League hosted by United States
2019 IIHF Champions League hosted by Sweden/Finland
2020 World Cup of Hockey hosted by Czech/Slovakia
2021 IIHF Champions League hosted by England
2023 IIHF Champions League hosted by Canada
Etc...

Poland and Ukraine was held for the European Championship of international teams but the Champions League of soccer. The Champions league of soccer is played (The UEFA CL) in every city of the team competing in it.

Then UEFA chooses a CITY in Europe to host the final championship game.

The biggest problem with a champions league tournament is having the NHL actually participate. For them to participate, they will need to

1) Get most of the revenue of this
2) Probably host the games
3) Players and team will need some kind of prize money
4) and some one better be good at presenting things, showing them how good it could be working with the IIHF in such a big tournament and how they can go about this...

Old
11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Want to add another thing. I would have no problem with the NHL icing so-called "B" squads with part of the big club players and part prospects from the AHL. If its only a few spots then I wouldn't mind too much.
Exactly...

1) Prize money for top 3 teams. Prize money for players who win major awards for tournament.

2) Allow NHL to host a majority if not all the games, at least the ones they play. So less traveling and stress.

3) Allow NHL teams (goes really for any team) to choose rosters from their affiliated teams. But put restrictions... So NHL teams dont just send over only ECHL guys.

For a team, for example lets say the New York Rangers... if they were in it you might see

Marian Gaborik may or may not play in the tournament, but because he might have a chance for more ice time or play against friends/family or ex teams... he might. For a team like Pittsburgh, I cant see Crosby being inclined for this but maybe Malkin would.

(Rangers again) 3rd, 4th line, 3rd pairing D might like the prize money idea... or maybe guys like Boyle would love the opportunity to play a bigger role under his coach or for the Rangers.

European players like Ovechkin who love being in any game for any reason... would prob love to do this no matter what his owners tell him to do lol.

AHL players would be inclined to do this for the money and more opportunity to play not only under a real NHL jersey but a chance to show scouts what they can do at the pro level, especially prospects or guys who want 2nd chances like Wade Redden or anyone really.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Thesensation19

O yea, and im sure back up goalies like Biron would love the extra ice time and shots in a real game if a starter like Lundqvist chooses to take this time for breaks.

To stop NHL teams from changing the rosters to much, or allowing NHL players to choosing a time when they feel they want to play in a tournament like this... the rules will go as follows

30 players can be chosen for this tournament. They just have to be signed to the club, or an affiliated pro team.
For NHL teams... No more than 5 guys can be chosen on this 30 man roster from the ECHL. At least 3 guys have to be two way players from the AHL/NHL. Salary does not matter in this case.

ONLY ONCE (prior to the tournaments quarter finals) can a team take ONE player from outside the 30 man list and switch it into the playable roster. Unless injury occurs, than a player MUST be replaced. 20 players can be chosen to dress, at least two players must be reserved for game times and the rest can do whatever the team wishes upon them. I chose the only once rotation cuz you never know when a team finds a new talent or an NHL player wants to actually participate lol. But we dont want every NHL player who chose not to at first, come in when he finds out his team will go far and win money or the tournamnet is bigger than expected. So one is permitted

After the group stages, the team must choose a roster of 24 guys from the 30 man list to compete for the rest of the tournament. These 24 guys will receive the prize money if the team makes the final 3 placements.

Start it with either 14 or 20 teams from around the world. The NHL will have 4 teams, the KHL will have 4 teams. Each NHL team will host one group. So 4 groups of 4 or 5, with one KHL team in each one. The Final 2 teams come out of the group after playing 1 game round robin each team.

so now you have 8 teams come out for a knock out stage. I think a series for this would be too long, but maybe one game elimination or 2 legs... Elimination might make for a better story and exciting play.

Knock out stage all the way to the finals and one game elimination like the supoer bowl or UEFA champions league.

Each game, changing on whether its a Group Stage, Knock out stage or championship or 3rd place game, should have split revenue.

The Host team (or arena) should get a majority
The visiting team should get some
The rest of the money should go into a tournament fund for hockey funds and tournament prizes

Any game that the NHL plays should be played in the NHL or at least a majority of their games so they will be more inclined to host and participate. All final games should be played at a single location or at least in NHL arena. Any game that the NHL is not part of, can be used in North America but its up to teams playing. All teams making some money out of this will make European teams money and be more willing to participate next year.

Something like

Group Stage
Host- 60%
Away-20%
Pot- 20%

Knockout Stage
Host-65%
Away- 15%
Pot- 20%

3rd place game (NHL arena must)
Host-50%
Pot- 50%

Championship (set location chosen prior to start of tournament like Montreal)
Host team- 60%
Pot- 40%

The pot $$$ will go to charities and help with awards and prize money. The rest of the prize money comes from donations and tournament fees.

Charities- 40% of the pot
1st place-30% of the pot plus bonus checks (like Victoria Cup) plus trophy they get to keep at their arena for life
2nd place- 15% of pot plus bonus checks
3rd place- 10% of the pot
Awards- 5% plus trophy

In the victoria cup, some guy in Swiss paid the winner of the team like 40,000 Franks. Something like that... plus thats just the pot from revenue... not including other donations and stuff.

^^^^^^ Jus a simple model, could obviously change... just trying to keep the small teams an incentive for being part of a big elite tournamet so it helps them make $$$ and grow for next year. The NHL and host makes most of the $$$, mostly cuz i dont think NHL owners care unless there making $$$$ and their superstars r safe.

Tournament awards-
MVP
Offensive player (Not best forward, best offensive producer)
Def player (not best d man, just best defender)
Goalie
Best young guy (under 21 or 23 or something depending on avg)
Best coach
Hardest worker
stuff like that

Old
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
I like the idea but I would do the Champions League every 2 years.

2014 Olympics
2015 Champions League
2016 World Cup of Hockey
2017 Champions League

We need the NHL & IIHF to be more in sync with each other and participate mutually. A Champions League could surely work if there is more space between the tourney (like the proposed 2 years) and if the NHL sanctioned full participation. Perhaps if the NHL takes control in helping organize the Champions League & even the World Cup while recognizing and respecting the level of competition from other leagues, it could really take off. The CL trophy shouldn't be more important than say, the Stanley Cup, but perhaps they could create a meaningful trophy that can capture the essence of the SC on a world wide scale.

With respect to the World Championships, I think they should stay the course, or perhaps also switch to a 2 year schedule as to not overlap with the Olympics & World Cup.

No way... every year. This is a club match...

Do it like Soccer

4 years Olympics
4 years World Cup
4 years Europ Cup
Every year Champions League
Every year Super Cup

Hockey

Every 4 years Winter Olympics
Every 4 years rotating on that is World Cup of Hockey by the NHL
Every year do a WJC
Every year do a WC

For club level do every year Champions league...

Old
11-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

Do it like Soccer

4 years Olympics
4 years World Cup
4 years Europ Cup
Every year Super Cup

Hockey

Every year do a WJC
Every year do a WC

I could live with your proposal, but I think it would be too much for the NHL in regards to participation & might be over saturating the hockey world with tournaments & championships.

If you do Olympics & World Cup every 4 years but rotating so they are 2 years apart, the best would be then to fill the other two years in every 4 year cycle with a Champion's League. The reasoning behind this is the NHL would only have to focus on 1 major tourney every year, which is probably more appealing to them. If you make the CL every two years it gives it more imortance and also there would be more of a focus strictly on the CL during "off years" when there are no Olympics or World Cups being played. In odd numbered years, the Champions League would be the premier hockey event right up there with the Stanley Cup.

World Championships can continue as they are for all I care.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:21 AM
NicoSB

As much as I like your ideas and I would appreciate a Champions League(even if it's
only open for European teams) I don't see it taking place succesfully. There are waaaay to much problems.

1) As already mentioned, international hockey isn't popular at least in Switzerland but I'm sure this counts for several if not most countries. E.g. have a look at CHL 2009(?). What ZSC achieved was a miracle. They beat not only Swedish and Finnish teams but also defeated Metallurg, I guess. As it wouldn't be already enough they went forward for Victoria Cup (afaik there was NO prize money) defeating Chicago. Yes there was media presence in Switzerland, national TV broadcasting at least semi finals and stuff. But noone remembers it while everyone knows about FC Basel achieving a 3-3 at Manchester etc in 200x.
On the other hand there is Spengler Cup around Xmas recieving much presence in tv and Newspapers.

2) There isn't really an organisator with enough money. Since Gazprom stopped their sponsorship with CHL there has not been a "gapfiller". I don't see Gazprom rejoining IIHF since their engagement in KHL is big! So who is left interested and able to pay enough money? There is only Skoda in my opinion but their sponsoring in hockey is already big. So this leads us to the next problem:

3) Neither KHL nor NHL show a big interest in an international cup. KHL wants to be the "European Hockey League". A cup lowers their chance to achieve their goal imo, giving European teams the chance to compete in a prestigeful tournament.
NHL on the other hand might be afraid of losing their leading position in hockey. It is a show league, therefore a team has to play as much games as possible and playing without breaks to prevent disappearing from media. International games are less attracting since their niveau is (said to be) way lower. So breaks are bad for a market. I am not speaking about the true fans but about the long tail of unfrequent spectators. This market is huge and mostly in competition with other sports like Football etc. Without one of these premier leagues there is no force in a competition. E.g. who of you follows European Trophy (remember we are unrepresentiv!).

4.) Most teams struggle with their finances. Fligts in the USA or even eastern Russia are expensive and if there is no revenue out of away games, there is no interest in affording these expenses. On the other hand sponsoring COULD be more interesting since their reach doesn't stop at national borders. Hard to say.

NicoSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:50 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:

Do it like Soccer

4 years Olympics
4 years World Cup
4 years Europ Cup
Every year Super Cup

Hockey

Every year do a WJC
Every year do a WC

What is the super cup?

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:20 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSB View Post
1) As already mentioned, international hockey isn't popular at least in Switzerland but I'm sure this counts for several if not most countries. E.g. have a look at CHL 2009(?). What ZSC achieved was a miracle. They beat not only Swedish and Finnish teams but also defeated Metallurg, I guess. As it wouldn't be already enough they went forward for Victoria Cup (afaik there was NO prize money) defeating Chicago. Yes there was media presence in Switzerland, national TV broadcasting at least semi finals and stuff. But noone remembers it while everyone knows about FC Basel achieving a 3-3 at Manchester etc in 200x.
On the other hand there is Spengler Cup around Xmas recieving much presence in tv and Newspapers.
I don't agree with your points here. The quality of hockey in the Eliteserien, SM-Liiga, NLA, DEL and Czech Extraliga is close, ZSC beating Linköping, Slavia and Blues is not a miracle as any of those teams are capable of beating each other. Beating a KHL team is an upset, but it's not a Basel over Man U level of upset either.

Regarding the popularity of international competition, it all comes down to marketing. Clubs that have shown interest in them have made a good job selling them: ZSC had well attendend Continental Cup and Champions' league games, Lugano sold out their games when the organised the EHL final four in 2000 and brought 300 fans to St. Petersburg for the European champions cup in 2007, and Ambrì did well creating interest during their Continental cup runs 10 years ago. On the other hand, Bern had multiple opportunities to play in international competitions but never cared one bit for them and it shows in their attendances, and Fribourg treated the 98-99 EHL as a burden.

Quote:
E.g. who of you follows European Trophy (remember we are unrepresentiv!).
The European trophy is an invitational tournament played in the preseason, definitely not a good example of an international competition.

Quote:
4.) Most teams struggle with their finances. Fligts in the USA or even eastern Russia are expensive and if there is no revenue out of away games, there is no interest in affording these expenses. On the other hand sponsoring COULD be more interesting since their reach doesn't stop at national borders. Hard to say.
In a successful champions' league, teams would earn enough money to pay for their travel expenses.

stv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
What is the super cup?
The Super Cup is a game between the UEFA champions vs the UEFA Europa Champions.

I like the idea of saturating the INTERNATIONAL tournaments that the best of the best play in... But I feel it is too saturated right now. I truly believe a huge role in the last Olympics being such a huge viewing success was the Winter Classic and the rise of the NHL popularity. But waiting every 4 years for best on best hockey is too much. I feel we should have a best on best every 2 years... Olympics then World Cup of Hockey.

Allow World Championship to occur every year so you can have an accurate yearly rating system of each country based on skill but more importantly depth in the system and countries.

But that is the international stage.

All I want to see now is clubs starting to play more between countries... Europe already has that. KHL is pretty mixed with countries and expanding. Plus there are already European tournaments of all sorts.

What I feel now is that its time for the best clubs in the world to come together to not only promote hockey but really see who is the best club in the world. Every year the best clubs from each of the best leagues in the world and then some come together in a tournament thats quite different.

Would the NHL win? Could the KHL teams win...

Old
11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Thesensation19

This tournament will be big if the best teams from Europe participate. But it will be much larger if the NHL participated. It hardly matters what NHL teams but I would say 2 USA and 2 Canadian. Global popularity would increase as your watching lets say Montreal, Toronto, Detroit and New York.

Now for some fans in Russia which there team will not be participating in this tournament will be more hopeful to watch because maybe Datsyuk will participate. Fans in Sweden Froulnda Sweden may not care about this tournament so much, unless they find out guys like Zetterberg, Lundqvist and maybe future NHL prospects are involved. Basically global popularity will increase by having the NHL involved. More sponsors, more investors, more views.

How do you get the NHL involved. Promote the tournament in North America. Allow the NHL rinks to host the tournament and fill seats. NHL season tickets are expensive, but a tournament like this can be sold with cheap tickets promoting hockey for all. Tourism in North America would increase. Allow host cities and rinks to get a share of the revenue. So there making money off this... thats how you get the owners involved.

Not all NHL players will be likely to play in this tournament but promote prize money and some will join. 3rd and 4th liners will use this too get more $$ in a tournament they feel they can win but also use the time to show the coaches what they can do with more playing time and more responsibility or just plain out practice. Because theirs prize money they will be inclined to try harder. This gives time to see what prospects, rookies are made up of. Guys like Wade Redden who are prob bored in the AHL could get their time to don a NHL jersey one more time without having to reject their current contract in making overpriced millions and the organization will not care to play them because their experienced and theirs no salary cap.

NHL owners are losing $$$ for the first quarter and then some during the NHL season. Many fans do not care about an 82 game season. Cut the NHL season to around 66 games and promote by weeks which in this time can be used for international play like this tournament. Or to allow Russians to go play for their country in tournaments. And give guys rest when needed.

European teams want a champions league but they cant get investors yet. So influence the NHL to join in on the fun.

Allow them to choose what 4 teams will be involved but with guidelines. 1 of the 4 teams must be a playoff team at least. 2 canadian, 2 american. Tell them they can host up to 70% of the tournament games and sell tickets with a shared revenue. They can host up to 90% of the games they play with at least 1 or 2 games they fly over in Europe to promote hockey. Tell them theirs prize money for the teams that win it and for the players involved.

Tell them they can host the championship game even if they are not in it. Tell them if they are in the final 4, they will host it. They can host every knockout stage game they are playing in. Shared revenue but they get the majority

New York Rangers...
Dolan can use this to promote cheaper tickets to allow people who usually cant afford watching Ranger games to come on down. Cheap tickets will sell especially in New York. So long as its the NEW YORK RANGERS jersey they are wearing.

It is not the players we watch, we watch the team...

But I can see Marty Biron taking starting role in this to get more time during the season to play
I can see guys like Boyle, Hailey, Asham and other 3rd and 4th line fan favs taking this time to practice their skill and play in a better role
I can see maybe Lundqvist playing one game. I can see Hagelin taking the time to play some
I can see Kreider wanting to do this to show coaches what he can do on a bigger stage consistantly. Same goes fro all our prospects
I can see some ECHL guys playing

I want to see more of the Rangers use their entire roster for the NHl and this tournament

Old
11-13-2012, 04:40 PM
NicoSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I don't agree with your points here. The quality of hockey in the Eliteserien, SM-Liiga, NLA, DEL and Czech Extraliga is close, ZSC beating Linköping, Slavia and Blues is not a miracle as any of those teams are capable of beating each other. Beating a KHL team is an upset, but it's not a Basel over Man U level of upset either.
As I already mentioned, ZSC beat Metallurg in the finals that happens to be a KHL team. Although KHL had only been launched a couple of months before everyone knew that ZSC were the biig underdog, especially because of the media. Hockey had and has rarely been shown in freetv but Swiss tv did well on that chance.
I am quite surprised by the numbers you're giving, so perhaps I have to reconsider my point of view.

Regarding European Trophy I must admit that it is more likely a preparation tournament but diehard fans would never ever miss this rare chance of watching international games but if I may take the ET thread over here as a indicator it doesn't seem like there is a big interest in watching them. However, Red Bull Salute should be more serious business but we'll know soon.

Last but not least I have to agree with. your points about finances but no one knows if there will actually be a successful tournament.

NicoSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Thesensation19

I live in New York, USA. With no NHL, its a real shame because I really have nothing else. I do not have the NHLNetwork tv channel but even with that it could still SUCK. Need some hockey on TV

But even with an NHL season... Sometimes I wish they can cut back on the 82 game schedule and create international weeks. Where clubs play international tournaments or allow players to play for their country. 4/5 per month.

I love hockey and I would love to see, plus i think it be the best thing for hockey, to see more countries and their pro clubs play international tournaments especially wth the NHL involved.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Thesensation19

1) Europeans have some and have been trying to recreate a CL tourny but a lack of funds have stopped it. So if a Champions League would be an amazing show of hockey, how do you bring it back and how do you make it better?

A: Get the KHL involved... But even bigger, get the NHL involved. Getting NHL involvement would get the KHL full interest in and other investors and other sponsors.

2) How do you get the KHL more involved? Get the NHL involved. How do you get the NHL involved and make sure there using real talent?

A: Make sure in return for NHL participation with a good roster, their owners and their league will be given the chance to host the games PLUS get a majority of the shared revenue. Plus include prize money for individuals and the team for ranking top 3 and for award winners. They do not have to use their full NHL roster, but they need to include at LEAST some NHL guys, mostly AHL guys and are allowed to use ECHL players to fill in voids.

3) When will the tournament be played?
16 teams will play... 4 groups of 4 1 game round robin. Best 2 come out alive leaves 8 knock out stage teams. 4 rounds in KO
A:
September- NHL trianing camp, Group Stages start, Pre season begins
October- NHL season starts, Group Stages finish
November- First round of KO stage.
December- WC Coverage and Qtr Finals to be played.
January- WC... Semi Finals to be played.
February- Champions League Final and 3rd place game
March---
******* CL WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH THIS*******
April- NHL Playoffs Start
May- NHL Stanley Cup
June- NHL Stanley Cup

The teams not involved will have an NHL season break but can practice. Unless its during All star break then they can participate in the NHL All Star Week.

Something along these lines^^^^

Old
11-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Hasa92

Quote:

Do it like Soccer

4 years Olympics
4 years World Cup
4 years Europ Cup
Every year Super Cup

Hockey

Every year do a WJC
Every year do a WC

This is actually my wet dream, i'm so jealous at soccer fans cause they have much more interesting tournament's and they're not doing em every year like IIHF does.

It's so ironic that many Finnish soccer fans are jealous of hockey because it has more fan's, get's more media exposure and is more successful than soccer in Finland.

Well, at least in Hockey, we have a league where almost all the best players play (just not this year).

Hasa92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:06 PM
garbageteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasa92 View Post
This is actually my wet dream, i'm so jealous at soccer fans cause they have much more interesting tournament's and they're not doing em every year like IIHF does.

It's so ironic that many Finnish soccer fans are jealous of hockey because it has more fan's, get's more media exposure and is more successful than soccer in Finland.

Well, at least in Hockey, we have a league where almost all the best players play (just not this year).
I'm fine with IIHF's yearly WHC. I just count them as friendlies like in soccer as the real song and dance is the Olympics, just like the Fifa WC (note I am NOT discrediting any team that does well in it - they deserve the respect and IIHF points, just crowning a champion yearly for a national team is kind of silly). The hockey national teams rarely ever play each other outside of the WHC so it's good to get a sense of where things are at annually. Even with the annual tournament I think national teams in soccer still play more games than hockey.

If that KHL 64 team megaleague ever takes off, we might have a shot for a Champions league tournament. In all honesty the BEST you can realistically hope for is for it to be like the FIFA Club World Cup if you want the NHL involved... they are too stuck in their North American centric world view. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_FIFA_Club_World_Cup

Club World Cup could get one champion from each of the following groups:

NHL
KHL
SM-liiga champion
Extraliga
Elitserien
Play-in spot (Challenged between Swiss, German, Latvian, etc. leagues)

SM-liiga champ would play Elitserien champ, Extraliga champ to play the play-in spot (could be drawn randomly every tournament). Winner of these two games would then challenge one of the NHL or KHL champions depending on a draw. Final to be played between the last standing two teams. Get rid of the third place match.

That's really the only way to happen. You're not gonna get the NHL champions to commit to playing more than one or two games out of season after a grueling 82 game regular season, plus 20+ game postseason.

garbageteam is offline   Reply With Quote