HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I'll never remove my ear guards

Old
11-06-2012, 10:58 PM
wondeROY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
I can think of twice in the NHL that players have had their necks cut. Can't think of a single player getting hit in the ear with a puck. Maybe it's not as much 'common sense' as you seem to think it is.

If you're playing right, you shouldnt ever have to worry about getting hit in the ear with a puck, since you should always be facing the play anyway. There's a reason the only NHLers that wear them are mega star players that are more than likely paid extra by their respective sponsor to do so.
LOL you've never seen someone in the nhl get hit in the ear or side of the head with a errant stick or puck. Right, you must watch a lot of hockey.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
LOL you've never seen someone in the nhl get hit in the ear or side of the head with a errant stick or puck. Right, you must watch a lot of hockey.
Dude stop with the condescending. The only reason I even replied is because of the completely unnecessary 'common sense not so common' comment. Common sense would tell you a pop on the ear is no where near as bad as a cut on the throat. And you've made a real great point about how I must not watch a lot of hockey.. At least the the guy before you found actual evidence and posted videos. If you weren't such a sensationalist you might realize people rarely ever take pucks around the side of the head, and almost never get hit with sticks hard enough to actually do any sort of damage. People aren't out there McSorelying people.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:16 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
It does happen occasionally, but not very often. Stevens' might have had an impact on his career longevity with concussion, while Hendricks' was luckily cosmetic.

I took a glancing puck off the ear a month ago. Stung like a mofo, but no damage.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:25 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
It does happen occasionally, but not very often. Stevens' might have had an impact on his career longevity with concussion, while Hendricks' was luckily cosmetic.

I took a glancing puck off the ear a month ago. Stung like a mofo, but no damage.
I took a slapshot of the crossbar that hit me in the ear once, so it's not as if I'm one of those "it'll never happen to me" type people.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:15 AM
AIREAYE

If this starts turning into that ridiculous cage vs no cage argument again, I propose we close this thread.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Pedagogue

I am not sure why anyone in their right mind would take out the plastic ear guard. Unless you are a pro, forget about it. About a year ago I was at a pick up game. Dude takes a shot that hit me right in the ear protector. It hurt like hell. After the game in the locker room, someone says, "man your ear is bleeding". Noticed, that my ear was cut pretty bad. I didn't need stitches but it was a deep cut. If I didn't have that ear protector a chunk of my ear could have been gone and even worse I could have suffered some hearing loss. Not worth it boyz!

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:47 AM
PaperworkNinja

I took mine out. I need to wear glasses while playing and the ear guards were keeping proper ventilation from happening. I sweat a lot during games and regardless of what glasses I was they'd fog up and don't clear up. I removed the ear guards and the fogging stopped. I'd rather have them, but I kind of need to see.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:53 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
I can think of twice in the NHL that players have had their necks cut. Can't think of a single player getting hit in the ear with a puck.
Somebody didn't read my post upthread

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:38 AM
shoeshine boy

I couldn't find a video but here's a story (complete with gross pictures) about the Capitals' Matt Hendricks who got his ear cut in half by an Ovechkin shot that deflected off the glass: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...PkQQ_blog.html

can you imagine what might have happened if the shot hit him straight on? sadly, Hendricks was not smart enough to keep his ear guards on after the ear healed.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

I line semi-pro hockey on a regular basis and 99% of players don't wear ear guards

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:02 AM
LarryO

When I had a Jofa 690, the ear guards rubbed on my ears and were annoying so I removed them. When I got a RBK 8K, I didn't feel the ear guards so I left them on. Now I have an Easton E700 and I can feel one of them a bit when I put the helmet on but I don't notice it while I'm playing so I'm leaving them on. I've never noticed any problems with hearing with ear guards.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:46 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
I took mine out. I need to wear glasses while playing and the ear guards were keeping proper ventilation from happening. I sweat a lot during games and regardless of what glasses I was they'd fog up and don't clear up. I removed the ear guards and the fogging stopped. I'd rather have them, but I kind of need to see.
I wear glasses while playing, and when I was first gearing up for hockey I spent a little extra on the helmet to get the Reebok 6K because I found it slid right over my glasses without even noticing it, ear guards and all. I didn't even know what ear guards were at the time, could be they just have them a little farther out on the rbk helmets? The poster above me said he never felt them at all when play with an 8k helmet.

Anyone that plays with glasses should try this one on.

Also for the sweating thing get an under armour skull cap. Really important with glasses because you don't want that extra sweat reaching the lenses.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:11 PM
PaperworkNinja

I'll have to give that a look. Thanks!

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:51 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
they can be annoying for people with big ears, but yeah you should leave them on, my old bauer lids used to bug me alot so i took them out, now i have a RBK 11k and i dont even notice them,

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:28 AM
bp spec

I removed mine because of the feel. But I play competitive and we have to use the ear guards. I can't play any games due to injury right now anyway so it doesn't bother me. But when ill start to play again, I'm going to put them back on.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
SCBruCrew4

I have the S19 helmet and can't feel the ear guards. Although I've been tempted to take them out...I still don't just because of the "it could happen" factor.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:08 PM
OpenIceHit42

Our league requires ear guards to be worn. I've only seen it once in the last two years where they've called someone for not having them.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
I have the S19 helmet and can't feel the ear guards. Although I've been tempted to take them out...I still don't just because of the "it could happen" factor.
If you can't feel them, why are you tempted to take them out?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Guffaw

I wear a cage and ear guards. Feel free to go without, just don't whine when you get hurt. Facing the play? Lol. You can't control what others do. Same reason cars have side impact air bags

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:59 PM
ponder

I too always wear them. Mine do touch my ears slightly, but are perfectly comfortable as they have little foam pads on the inside to prevent chafing. I've been hit with both pucks and sticks on the side of the head, and have been happy to have the guards.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:58 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
If you can't feel them, why are you tempted to take them out?
I noticed I can hear a lot better without them on. But again when I'm on the ice it doesn't really matter since the echo amplifies everything.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

I had them on my last helmet and I didnt know people removed them even though some of my teammates didnt wear them. One time this guy I played with was getting made fun of for having them on but they never said anything to me, which was the first time I noticed that people remove them

I never had problems with chaffing or heat or anything but my new helmet is pro stock and came with them removed. I dont mind and never been worried

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Torquenstein

I never had them on.

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:09 AM
reecardo

Patrick Eaves

Didn't Patrick Eaves take a slapper to the ear about a year ago? I hear he still isn't right.

reecardo is offline   Reply With Quote