HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012 Subway Series II

Old
11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
WTF is TSN smoking??? Vasilevski didn't even play lol.

"Vasilevski allowed one goal on 16 shots, while Ustinski was perfect, not allowing a goal on eight shots."

"Monahan fed Graovac, who put a nifty deke on Vasilevski before roofing a backhand shot."

Fact is OHL only scored 1 goal on an undersized, underaged MHL goalie, maybe it's beyond them or something.

And this hole hype about Connor McDavid? Wow, like what the hell did he do on the ice? Sure- 15 year old, But he didn't do ANYTHING. You can stick any talented 15 year old and he'll just skate with the big boys.

There must be some politics behind this insane overhyping.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=409114
The irony of a Russian complaining about overhyping is lulzy.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:19 PM
canuck2010

vCash: 500
Next game should be fun. Is it fair to say that the OHL will have a better defence but weaker forwards?

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:20 PM
canuck2010

Any word on the Russian kid who was hurt last night?

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Remember that the O players are still involved in their seasons and have to travel to Guelph as well.

The Russian team had played two games together all ready. The Russians should have the advantage, not that it makes any difference nor matters one way or the other.
And while the Russians get the weekend to rest and run a few practices, OHL players all travel back to their club teams and return Monday to Sarnia for a morning skate and impromptu practice for 45 minutes.. The fact of the matter is this Russian team has been completely unimpressive and a full Canadian team in the event of a lockout should handle them with ease... as long as our goaltender doesn't implode... The only slight advantage I'll give the Russians is in goal... and that's only by the slightest of margins.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:24 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
And while the Russians get the weekend to rest and run a few practices, OHL players all travel back to their club teams and return Monday to Sarnia for a morning skate and impromptu practice for 45 minutes.. The fact of the matter is this Russian team has been completely unimpressive and a full Canadian team in the event of a lockout should handle them with ease... as long as our goaltender doesn't implode... The only slight advantage I'll give the Russians is in goal... and that's only by the slightest of margins.
While I agree, prepare for an epic ****storm for that statement.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
I'm not the only one to voice that opinion... let em rant if they want. who cares.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

When I lived in Canada, Canadians celebrated our humble nature.
Things have changed for the worse.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Any word on the Russian kid who was hurt last night?
he is ok, russian posters can translate this. Nothing broke as I see

Quote:
@i_de_al

Hohlachev zhiv I zdorov! pic.twitter.com/enqav53M
View photo

Quote:
@i_de_al

Забыл вчера написать. После всех обследований и рентгена - у Хохлачева никаких переломов и сотрясения нет! Большая гематома на правой скуле!

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Lol its true here it comes. There is just no way. Russia has 2 close to ready NHL goaltenders, even if they had to use Ustinski he doesn't look bad, and solid D, which is unusual, so expect less goals scored by the Canadians. I do think the Canadians have a fair chance of winning, just not with ease... The offense is the trickiest part, Canada did a good job shutting it down for 57 minutes. All it took were 2 brain farts for the Russians to make them pay with high end skilled plays. Was that Kookoek that got beat? Like who is expected to do a better job than him?

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:40 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Lol its true here it comes. There is just no way. Russia has 2 close to ready NHL goaltenders, even if they had to use Ustinski he doesn't look bad, and solid D, which is unusual, so expect less goals scored by the Canadians. I do think the Canadians have a fair chance of winning, just not with ease... The offense is the trickiest part, Canada did a good job shutting it down for 57 minutes. All it took were 2 brain farts for the Russians to make them pay with high end skilled plays. Was that Kookoek that got beat? Like who is expected to do a better job than him?
Oh I don't know Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murray, Scott Harrington, etc. Also even if you beat the defense Subban is there to bail them out.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
he is ok, russian posters can translate this. Nothing broke as I see
"Forgot to write yesterday. After the evaluations and x-ray - Khokhlachev doesn't have any broken bones nor concussion. Big bruise on the right cheekbone."

Fantomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:44 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
"Forgot to write yesterday. After the evalutions and x-ray - Khokhlachev doesn't have any broken bones nor concussion. Big bruise on the right cheekbone."
That's a bit of a relief. That shot really scared me.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Zine

Quote:

This is nothing new though.
Russia was in the same position last 2 years at SSS, and many of us had the same questions as we have now.
The 2010 team was 2-1 at this point and had 17/23 WJC players....2011 team was 2-1 and comprised of 16/23 WJC players. Yet we all know how these teams eventually did against Canada at WJC.

The only edge I see Canada have is in coaching. This team has the talent to win gold. But can Varnakov whip these boys into shape like Bragin did? I'm not quite sure yet.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:46 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
"Forgot to write yesterday. After the evaluations and x-ray - Khokhlachev doesn't have any broken bones nor concussion. Big bruise on the right cheekbone."
Great news.

Still no replacement for Rupert, I guess they haven't totally ruled him out but I thought the injury was supposed to be weeks.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
You must have moved before the internet.

Minister of Offence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Zine

Anyways, these aren't even 'teams', they are collections of individuals fighting for a WJC roster spot (or role).

Real teams are intact, where every player knows and accepts their role, and everyone is on the same page. These SSS teams don't resemble this at all. It's likely why there's often a huge discrepancy in level of play from a team from night to night.

Last edited by Zine: 11-10-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:48 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

And this hole hype about Connor McDavid? Wow, like what the hell did he do on the ice? Sure- 15 year old, But he didn't do ANYTHING. You can stick any talented 15 year old and he'll just skate with the big boys.

There must be some politics behind this insane overhyping.

This post reeks of stupidity, he played barely a regular shift in the first period and after that barely saw the ice at all. Obviously were trying to get him experience and he showed well in his brief ice time. Do you even remember when you were 15? Try pushing around and playing with 19 year olds who have played experience pro hockey against the likes of Ovi and Kovalchuk. What was he supposed to skate circles around them? 1997, kid was in diapers at the time of the Sydney Olympics.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:54 PM
espo*

Ego gone wild in God knows what direction could be the problem.

Who knows? But ego and Irish tend not be the greatest combination sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Honestly i have no clue. I'm in the same boat as you. He was an absolute rocket before, driving the net and constantly in motion. He seems to be regressing every year. He was flat, standing still, always hesitant, not confident in his plays. He looked like a player that has been told hes good and now expects his natural talent to take him through without actually working. Unless of course hes putting on weight and is losing his mobility. He put the tonugues down on his skates (probably means nothing) but it actually looks like its restricting his foot movements and its simply something a player does to look "cool". Only Chris Pronger really can successfully pull that off and he cut most of the fabric off so he could have full foot mobility. Murphy needs to get his head straight. When i saw him in the steelheads home opener against the Rangers, his skates were not like that.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:19 PM
espo*

I am not so sure, I can see the talent of the Russian players here. They have good material to choose from and need only a fraction of a mistake to make teams pay. Our goal tending is still unproven (and I don't care who tells me what about Subban)

He ain't proven YET on the big international stage to me until he does it.

On the bright side, I have been encouraged by some of our players skills and moxie that can translate well on the big ice, I am in your camp that we have to take those types of players like Mackinnon, Drouin and such, age be damned. If HC decides to go with correct talent over age we can put together a team more then capable of winning over there much like we did in 93.

It all hinges on a guy like Subban doing a reasonable facsimile of 93's Legace however because you just know teams like Russia are going to get their chances.Their talent and ability to play the game simply cannot be denied for 60 minutes.

People make a big deal out of the big ice but sometimes the talent Canada has(if you bring those guys) are at an advantage on the big ice precisely because their skill level is a little bit higher overall and their hockey sense is a little better overall.

This could be one of those years.

But in the end it will hinge on goaltending.

At this moment I would give that edge to Russia...................and likely a few other teams.

Having said that it has been fun to watch both countries kind of "feel themselves out" in terms of personnel and team play.

"jet lag,"league play tiredness" and "bad reffing" notwithstanding.

Which is all mostly ******** IMO.

Both teams have some advantages and disadvantages going for them here game to game here this year.

Quote:

Last edited by espo*: 11-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Yep. In my experience (22 countries), us Canadians are the most negatively prideful bunch.

Sigh.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:24 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Russia didn't even have a skate around before the game 3 with the ohl. Russia has a new coach, who hasn't worked with juniors and only god knows why he got the job, he didn't even know the players and relied on Bragin to gather the roster and we still won, so quit spitting smack.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:09 AM
kp61c

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
This is nothing new though.
Russia was in the same position last 2 years at SSS, and many of us had the same questions as we have now.
The 2010 team was 2-1 at this point and had 17/23 WJC players....2011 team was 2-1 and comprised of 16/23 WJC players. Yet we all know how these teams eventually did against Canada at WJC.

The only edge I see Canada have is in coaching. This team has the talent to win gold. But can Varnakov whip these boys into shape like Bragin did? I'm not quite sure yet.
but kuz whom canadians love the most didnt play in SSS, and now we have all the leaders and such a bleak tournament so far...

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
Having said that it has been fun to watch both countries kind of "feel themselves out" in terms of personnel and team play.

"jet lag,"league play tiredness" and "bad reffing" notwithstanding.

Which is all mostly ******** IMO.

Both teams have some advantages and disadvantages going for them here game to game here this year.
I have to agree with most of your points. Both sides are facing difficulties of their own, and I think it will benefit them in the long run.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:27 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Cody Ceci is an *******. Apologize kid.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:19 AM
espo*

I really think this series and the obstacles that go with it will benefit the players that eventually get named to both teams no matter which side comes out on top in this series.

And it will be in Ufa where the rubber meets the road.........not at this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
I have to agree with most of your points. Both sides are facing difficulties of their own, and I think it will benefit them in the long run.