HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Xavier Ouellet (2011, 48th overall, Detroit)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2012, 01:30 PM
  #51
s04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Yeah but he isnt very good defensively and they already had some offensive studs. Beaulieu made it because he is more rounded than Gauthier Leduc.

Ouellet is outperforming Bealieu right now would you agree?

Agreed.

s04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:17 PM
  #52
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Yeah but he isnt very good defensively and they already had some offensive studs. Beaulieu made it because he is more rounded than Gauthier Leduc.

Ouellet is outperforming Bealieu right now would you agree?
yes definately, Ouellet is outperforming Beaulieu. I liked him as much if not more than Bealieu for the 2011 draft ... definately better value for being drafted a round lower ...

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
  #53
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,833
vCash: 500
JGL ended up winning the Butch Bouchard trophy last night

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
  #54
irishtemper
Registered User
 
irishtemper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
It's all right, the X-Factor will win it next year

irishtemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:15 PM
  #55
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Gauthier-Leduc tore that league up he deserved it, but Ouellet not Beaulieu was named the other first team all star for dmen. Nathan was named to the second team but still pretty impressive that the wings have a guy outperforming such a highly rated prospect and they got him in the second round

http://theqmjhl.ca/article/the-golde...ellence/120398

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:17 PM
  #56
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,349
vCash: 50
Actually I really like Detroit's whole draft last year, really underrated.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:47 PM
  #57
Trvp Lord
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
Actually I really like Detroit's whole draft last year, really underrated.
Yeah, me too. Especially that second round they had.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:27 AM
  #58
Harry Kakalovich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
I saw Ouellet a lot his draft year playing with the Juniors. He's a really good dman. I understand why Beaulieu went higher, because Beaulieu was more polished and more able to impact the game, but Ouellet if all goes well should be a good professional dman.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:14 PM
  #59
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,192
vCash: 500
The Xavier Ouellet Hype Train

Is this thing gathering steam? It seems he's being pimped more and more in media outlets. McKenzie said he was the best player for the Q team outside of Huberdeau and MacKinnon.

Granted, that's not very hard.

Does anyone think he's improving his stock? Any chance he's squeaking up to maybe a #2 instead of a #3-4 guy?

In my own opinion, I think he'll really be a player once he can figure out how to play both offense and defense in one game. He can do both really well, but somehow seems unable to do both at the same time.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:20 PM
  #60
BeersHockey
Registered User
 
BeersHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
From what I've seen he looks great defensively. I think he needs to think a little bit more on the powerplay - shot selection the other night in the Super Series was a bit suspect. Overall, I think he is going to turn out pretty good - 2 or 3 potential.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:56 PM
  #61
MAJackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
McKenzie said he was the best player for the Q team outside of Huberdeau and MacKinnon.

Granted, that's not very hard.
I'd say that's very high praise unless you're grossly underrating the talent level in the Q this year.

MAJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:03 PM
  #62
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJackson View Post
I'd say that's very high praise unless you're grossly underrating the talent level in the Q this year.
Not that high seeing as some of the other talents aside from huberdeau, mackinnon and drouin in the 2nd game, didnt really show up. (Carrier, Mantha, Dea)

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:08 PM
  #63
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJackson View Post
I'd say that's very high praise unless you're grossly underrating the talent level in the Q this year.
Yeah, I meant that the Q team didn't really play all that well. Although I guess being put above Drouin says something.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:30 PM
  #64
MAJackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Sorry, thought this was in reference to Ouellet's rising praise of late in general and not isolated to the 2 games of the Super Series (read it as "on" the Q team, and not "for" the Q team).

MAJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:58 PM
  #65
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJackson View Post
Sorry, thought this was in reference to Ouellet's rising praise of late in general and not isolated to the 2 games of the Super Series (read it as "on" the Q team, and not "for" the Q team).
It's in reference to the rising amount of praise. The example, however, was limited to the Super Series games.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:01 PM
  #66
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,053
vCash: 500
I think you could have put Stu Percy in for Quebec and been just as impressed.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
  #67
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I think you could have put Stu Percy in for Quebec and been just as impressed.
Ouellets a better prospect then Percy, glad Burke traded up or else the wings wouldnt have gotten Jurco Sproul and Ouellet.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:22 PM
  #68
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,444
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Is this thing gathering steam? It seems he's being pimped more and more in media outlets. McKenzie said he was the best player for the Q team outside of Huberdeau and MacKinnon.

Granted, that's not very hard.

Does anyone think he's improving his stock? Any chance he's squeaking up to maybe a #2 instead of a #3-4 guy?

In my own opinion, I think he'll really be a player once he can figure out how to play both offense and defense in one game. He can do both really well, but somehow seems unable to do both at the same time.
What's funny was this summer I was one of the few who was praising him and saying he's the best defensmen in the Q coming into this season and was one of the few putting his name in the underrated prospect thread. I guess things turned out just fine

Now all I have to do is convince you guys that he's top 5 D in Canada since people continue to exclude him from the WJC team when imo he's the 3rd best D-man right now behind Hamilton and Murray.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:24 PM
  #69
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Ouellets a better prospect then Percy, glad Burke traded up or else the wings wouldnt have gotten Jurco Sproul and Ouellet.
I think it's debatable.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:29 PM
  #70
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser
 
Sartorial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
To me Ouellet stood out as the best dman on the Q for those two games.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:36 PM
  #71
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
What's funny was this summer I was one of the few who was praising him and saying he's the best defensmen in the Q coming into this season and was one of the few putting his name in the underrated prospect thread. I guess things turned out just fine

Now all I have to do is convince you guys that he's top 5 D in Canada since people continue to exclude him from the WJC team when imo he's the 3rd best D-man right now behind Hamilton and Murray.
What? It was common knowledge among Q observers that Ouellet was the best D coming into this season...

Ouellet has all the tools but his decision making seems suspect from time to time. I think he will need time in the AHL.

He is the kind of D that can play 27-28 minutes a night (well, at the junior level) and will give you great hockey in all three zones, but will make a couple of mistakes/turnovers every game. I guess you just gotta live with it.

#57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
  #72
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,706
vCash: 500
Last year, game 7 of the 2nd round against Rimouski.

We were losing 4-1, and in the third we came back to tie the game up with about 6 minutes left.

Right off the next faceoff (with the score 4-4), Ouellet pinches right away from his position to rush the LW (the other team had won the draw). He gets caught flat footed as the LW passes to the C.

Which creates a two-on-one for Rimouski. Pass and he scores. Rimouski wins 5-4 and eliminates Boisbriand.

Just an exemple.

#57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:36 PM
  #73
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Xav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,067
vCash: 50
I'm like a Hockey Hipster.

My username was Xavier Ouellet before it was cool.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:31 PM
  #74
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,165
vCash: 500
Huge fan of Ouellet, needs work but he'll get there..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
  #75
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
What's funny was this summer I was one of the few who was praising him and saying he's the best defensmen in the Q coming into this season and was one of the few putting his name in the underrated prospect thread. I guess things turned out just fine

Now all I have to do is convince you guys that he's top 5 D in Canada since people continue to exclude him from the WJC team when imo he's the 3rd best D-man right now behind Hamilton and Murray.
woah woah, easy now big fella

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.