HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

New Jersey Devils own deep, diverse group of defensive prospects

Old
11-08-2012, 04:25 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500

In terms of strengths and weaknesses, not much has changed for the New Jersey Devils organization. They continue to be well stocked on the blue line, which is good for the future because, aside from Adam Larsson and Mark Fayne, the majority of defensman in New Jersey are on the wrong-side of 30. In between the pipes, the Devils have finally started to plan for future and have a solid group of goaltending prospects. Upfront is a bit of a different story. There is some decent depth at wing and center, but in terms of top-six ability, there is not much to get excited about.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:11 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Try saying THAT 3 times fast.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Try saying THAT 3 times fast.
New Jersey Devils own deep, diverth group of dethenthive prospects.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:24 PM
CerebralGenesis

I love the evolution of our defensive prospects and I hope we continue adding at least 1 or 2 every year. Whatever they are scouting for lately seems to be able to produce viable dmen.

Dmen factory please.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I want more forward/offensive prospects. Hopefully though if worse comes to worst we maybe have some D prospects to trade for some forward prospects sometime.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I love the evolution of our defensive prospects and I hope we continue adding at least 1 or 2 every year. Whatever they are scouting for lately seems to be able to produce viable dmen.

Dmen factory please.
Yep. We used to be able to trade random defensive prospects for good returns simply because we were known as a defenceman factory. We've gotten away from that a bit, now it's Nashville with that reputation.

Also, the blurb in the OP says Larsson and Fayne are on the "wrong side of 30". Aren't they actually considered to be on the right side of 30 because they are under 30?

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I hope we don't go into a defensive system again in the coming years. Love this offensive/forechecking system. More offensive zone trap PLZ! Or would it be called defensive zone trap since we're trapping the other team in their defensive zone?

Old
11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Yep. We used to be able to trade random defensive prospects for good returns simply because we were known as a defenceman factory. We've gotten away from that a bit, now it's Nashville with that reputation.

Also, the blurb in the OP says Larsson and Fayne are on the "wrong side of 30". Aren't they actually considered to be on the right side of 30 because they are under 30?
Maybe he edited, but he's saying that other than those 2, everyone else is over 30. And I agree, we need the youth on D to pan out. Especially since Pete runs a system requiring horses on the blueline.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I'm confident in the youth panning out. Larsson is well on his way to being the #1 we need. Merrill is getting there too, and Albany is stocked with exciting young defencemen.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:10 PM
CerebralGenesis

There's just something about Merrill that worries me.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Scoring on the blue line would be great too. That was one of the worst things about us last year. Larsson I think can provide some goal scoring. Merrill, and Gelinas too hopefully. Andy Greene used to be able to, but most of that was PP goals, and he doesn't get PP time no more. Zidlicky won't last past this year which is fine cause we need the money for our forward UFA's.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:30 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm confident in the youth panning out. Larsson is well on his way to being the #1 we need. Merrill is getting there too, and Albany is stocked with exciting young defencemen.
I am confident as well. But I can't say Larsson is well on his way to being that number one we need. He certainly has had a good start, but remember he was benched through a lot of the playoffs. I just don't think we should get ahead of ourselves just yet.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I can't believe Pete let Volchenkov play over Larsson in the first round. Volchenkov was incredibly bad. I wanted to punch people, and take my anger out. That's how bad he was. In his defense though I think he was injured somehow. Though he did make some dumb plays throughout the playoffs, but not nearly as bad.

He did cause a breakaway in game 5 of the SCF that Marty stopped though. My first thoughts were to throw Volchenkov out, call Larsson from upstairs, and tell him to get his ass downstairs to the locker room, and get the gear on! Too bad that's not allowed though!

Old
11-09-2012, 01:29 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Maybe he edited, but he's saying that other than those 2, everyone else is over 30. And I agree, we need the youth on D to pan out. Especially since Pete runs a system requiring horses on the blueline.
Meh. Andy Greene just turned 30 a week ago, Volchenkov less than a year ago and Harrold is 29.

5 of our 8 D-men are 30 or younger. Not really a huge concern for me. I think we have two gems in Urbom and Merrill. Merrill has the tools to be a top pair guy and Urbom is probably already good enough to play on the 3rd pair. Don't see anyway those two guys don't pan out.

Burlon and Gelinas would be nice. Not too familiar with them.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:31 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I can't believe Pete let Volchenkov play over Larsson in the first round. Volchenkov was incredibly bad. I wanted to punch people, and take my anger out. That's how bad he was. In his defense though I think he was injured somehow. Though he did make some dumb plays throughout the playoffs, but not nearly as bad.
I don't think Larsson deserved to sit but Volchenkov deserved to start it. He was the top PK guy on the team on the best statistical PK unit of all time. I would have yanked him around game 3 or 4 though because he was putrid.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
I am confident as well. But I can't say Larsson is well on his way to being that number one we need. He certainly has had a good start, but remember he was benched through a lot of the playoffs. I just don't think we should get ahead of ourselves just yet.
I don't think it's too soon to say that. Every player struggles and hits a wall in his first year, it's only guys like Crosby who don't. We have all seen flashes of the #1 that Larsson can be, now it's just a matter of getting the consistency. He works hard, he's clearly coachable, and he's getting mentored by Hall of Fame defencemen. He'll get there.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:08 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I hope we don't go into a defensive system again in the coming years. Love this offensive/forechecking system. More offensive zone trap PLZ! Or would it be called defensive zone trap since we're trapping the other team in their defensive zone?
As long as Fake-Randy-Quaid is HC of the Devils, that's what the System will be.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
As long as Fake-Randy-Quaid is HC of the Devils, that's what the System will be.
Haha you think he looks like Randy Quaid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I don't think Larsson deserved to sit but Volchenkov deserved to start it. He was the top PK guy on the team on the best statistical PK unit of all time. I would have yanked him around game 3 or 4 though because he was putrid.
Yeah that's where I'm at. I probably would have sat him after game 2. Game 3 though the plug would have been pulled.

That first Florida goal I still couldn't figure out what was going on there in game 3. Did Marty really mean to give up THAT HORRIBLE of a rebound? Or was Volchenkov supposed to take that?

Old
11-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Brovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Holy ****. Impeccable.

Brovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
devsfan4life

I always thought Pete looked like Kevin Spacey

devsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I thought Randy Quaid was quite a bit heavier than Pete? He don't look that big in the picture wingman posted of him though.

I don't think he looks like Spacey either. I think it's the hair or lack thereof.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:08 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ You could make a case for both.

But for me, when I look at him, I half-expect Chevy Chase to appear besides him....

Old
11-09-2012, 06:37 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
There's just something about Merrill that worries me.
Im not worried per se, but given the off ice stuff, plus the depth we have in terms of prospects at the blue line, if a trade for a talented fwd is available, and Merrill were to go the other way, I'd be cool with that.

Granted I have not seen him play any more then a clip here and there, and maybe once I do get to see him consistently my mind changes, but right now I see Merrill as a very tradeable peice.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
^ You could make a case for both.

But for me, when I look at him, I half-expect Chevy Chase to appear besides him....
Yup. This right here.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote