HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Ryan Murray (2012, 2nd overall, Columbus)

Old
06-22-2012, 10:05 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Murray could make the team right away. One of the CBJ d-men is likely on the block now...likely Marc Methot.
With what we have in the way of young defensemen, Methot is long gone. Be shocked if he isn't traded tomorrow.

Good guy, average defenseman, but he's the odd man out.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:55 PM
byeyimini

checking in...

Hi guys, just checking in on Murray from anyone that's seen him this year. He seems to be getting his points, is he playing well ? Everything on track ??

byeyimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:25 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I've liked what I've seen. Logging a ton of minutes. Leads his team in assists with 7.

Will be seeing him live tonight.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:52 PM
byeyimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I've liked what I've seen. Logging a ton of minutes. Leads his team in assists with 7.

Good stuff, hopefully he can make lemonade out of this lockout and have a great season of development.

byeyimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I'll be anxious to hear what you Renegade. I like this guy quite a bit and glad he's fairing well.

10-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

Agreed, I only caught his one game against Moose Jaw, and he stood out very good at both ends of the ice, scored a goal from the point, jumped into attack at right moments, and played exceptional defensively as he is advertised. He was also named 3rd star of the game. I came away more impress with him than Rielly.

I also beleive he has picked up offensive side of his game lately, 3 pts in the last two games.

Hope Columbus develops him well, he can be a special player for a long time.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Agreed, I only caught his one game against Moose Jaw, and he stood out very good at both ends of the ice, scored a goal from the point, jumped into attack at right moments, and played exceptional defensively as he is advertised. He was also named 3rd star of the game. I came away more impress with him than Rielly.

I also beleive he has picked up offensive side of his game lately, 3 pts in the last two games.

Hope Columbus develops him well, he can be a special player for a long time.
His offense has always been under rated, in part to the system and lack of talent around him in Everett.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Just saw him play against the Blades. I know I'm not really qualified to give a scouting assessment, but here it is anyway.
- Very smart. He has a great feel for the game, making quick and effective decisions with the puck.
- Anticipates plays well and breaks up opposing offence regularly
- Smooth skater who gets up the ice so easily

I was surprised to see Murray get hit pretty hard a few times, but that's more or less just an aside. One game isn't enough to make a trustworthy assessment, but I can certainly tell in the upper tier of WHL D men (along with Jones, Reilly, Poulliot, and Dumba this season)

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I really want to say this right now, Everett should trade him, they'll get alot back for their rebuild and give Murray the chance to Win a Memorial cup, that is if the lockout doesn't end, because hes in Columbus otherwise.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:39 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
I really want to say this right now, Everett should trade him, they'll get alot back for their rebuild and give Murray the chance to Win a Memorial cup, that is if the lockout doesn't end, because hes in Columbus otherwise.
Problem is teams won't give up the pieces that would require him for the reason you just said. Incase the lockout ends.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:47 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Problem is teams won't give up the pieces that would require him for the reason you just said. Incase the lockout ends.
Yup. Same situation with Huberdeau.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:09 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Confirmed that #CBJ D Ryan Murray will have surgery in 2 to 3 wks to repair torn labrum, likely out for remainder of 2012-13 season.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:35 AM
sabresfan129103

This sets his development back a year. It sucks big time for Columbus.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Confirmed that #CBJ D Ryan Murray will have surgery in 2 to 3 wks to repair torn labrum, likely out for remainder of 2012-13 season.
That is absolutely brutal, never like it when a prospect has to face that.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Jakomyte

Wow, not that I'm a Columbus fan, but this team needs to catch a break or two...

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Ouch, a torn labrum. Wish the kid a speedy recovery.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:05 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
imo, it's actually kind of good thing it's a torn labrum as opposed to the alternatives of separated/dislocated shoulder or torn rotator cuff(ie supraspinatus). the torn labrum will take longer to recover from, but shouldn't be a recurring issue(performance-wise) if the surgery and rehab goes well. he'll be fine.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:06 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
I feel their pain.

Klefbom - out for season with shoulder surgery
Hall - out for 2011/12 season with shoulder surgery

I think he will bounce back fine though.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:52 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
imo, it's actually kind of good thing it's a torn labrum as opposed to the alternatives of separated/dislocated shoulder or torn rotator cuff(ie supraspinatus). the torn labrum will take longer to recover from, but shouldn't be a recurring issue(performance-wise) if the surgery and rehab goes well. he'll be fine.
He's going to need time to get over the mental hurdle of the injury once he returns to action and it may jeopardize his place on the NHL roster next year. It took Mark Streit and Kyle Okposo quite some time to return to form from their torn labrums. Murray is essentially NHL ready, but Columbus now has to think about how best to handle his development. It would be a shame for him to be in the NHL and struggle because he's still hesitant about going full bore on the shoulder - something that Okposo admitted to early last season.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:03 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
He's going to need time to get over the mental hurdle of the injury once he returns to action and it may jeopardize his place on the NHL roster next year. It took Mark Streit and Kyle Okposo quite some time to return to form from their torn labrums. Murray is essentially NHL ready, but Columbus now has to think about how best to handle his development. It would be a shame for him to be in the NHL and struggle because he's still hesitant about going full bore on the shoulder - something that Okposo admitted to early last season.
Fortunately the jackets don't "need" him immediately. With guys like Moore and Erixon in the pipe they can bring him along slowly in the AHL if he doesn't play his way onto the team.

alphafox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:54 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
I feel so bad for Columbus. I knew they'd take Murray. He's very close to NHL ready and he's a great locker room presence and without Nash the team needed a future leader. This is a big chunk out of Murray's career. They could've easily had Galchenyuk who is having himself a pretty great year. Not quite dominating but he was a great pick. First Nash. No season for the fans. No All Star Game. Now this. How much more will that fanbase have to put up with.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Ogopogo*

Thank God the Oilers took Nail. For many reasons.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:16 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
really tough to see this. From an international stand point, i am sure he wanted to prove something to himself and now will not have that chance.
His concentration is now on getting well and preparing for a pro career. Best of luck.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:16 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I didn't see the play he got injured, but sucks that he had a knee injury last season for a good amount of time and is now out because of this shoulder.

I'm not worrying because Rielly had a tougher injury last season and look how well he has recovered.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Crede777
Deputized

More on the injury / surgery:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...r-surgery.html

Quote:
The Blue Jackets were first alerted that his shoulder was sore at development camp after the draft in July, but it was considered a minor annoyance. But Murray said the shoulder had been getting increasingly sore so far this season with Everett (WHL), to the point where he had an MRI scheduled for Nov. 20 ... four days after the injury occured.

"I've seen doctors throughout the year, and they thought maybe I had a torn labrum already," Murray said. "It was strong and I had range of motion, but they told me if I got hit I had a chance of dislocating it. I had good strength. It was just as strong as the other one, so the thought was that I could play through. It just got beat up worse and worse I guess.
He might have been playing with a torn labrum since before the draft. I don't really blame the CBJ medical team because they obviously can't MRI every sore joint complaint. When it became apparent that it was a chronic problem, they scheduled an MRI for him.

His opinion about the hit:
Quote:
Murray made it clear repeatedly that Nelson's hit was clean. He also said he'd heard from several of his would-be Team Canada teammates who will head to Ufa, Russia, next month without him in search of the gold medal.
Silver-lining, if he's been playing this well with it then hopefully it isn't a hindrance. It's also something they think he can fully recover from.

Quote:
"Obviously there was something going on with the shoulder as far back as last season," Howson said. "The tests prior to the draft did not reveal anything, but there was an issue in there that got worse over time. It's too bad that Ryan has to go through this, but he'll get through this, and he should be 100 percent ready for next season."

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote