HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

So........Dec 1st

Old
11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Isnt Rinaldo doing pretty well for the Phantoms and Murray? Meltzer mentioned he was doing well despite the offensive struggles of the team. Not sure why he gets so much hate. He plays his role well IMO. Wellwood needs to learn how to finish otherwise he is gonna wind up a Brad Jones.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:01 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Isnt Rinaldo doing pretty well for the Phantoms and Murray? Meltzer mentioned he was doing well despite the offensive struggles of the team. Not sure why he gets so much hate. He plays his role well IMO. Wellwood needs to learn how to finish otherwise he is gonna wind up a Brad Jones.
Yep, this too. I've heard alot about Rinaldo's play and nothing about Wellwood's. Both Rinaldo and Sestito seem to be doing better with their current situations than Wellwood. Nothing against Wellwood, but if Rinaldo and Sestito are improving I'd say give them the nod instead.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yep, this too. I've heard alot about Rinaldo's play and nothing about Wellwood's. Both Rinaldo and Sestito seem to be doing better with their current situations than Wellwood. Nothing against Wellwood, but if Rinaldo and Sestito are improving I'd say give them the nod instead.
If Im not mistaken though, Rinaldo is having the chance to play with Schenn and/or Couturier while Wellwood hasnt yet.

No matter how much Rinaldo doesnt want to admit it, he just doesnt have offensive upside, and is a target for refs. Dont know how he has done on the pk, but that is only way I think he should play over Wellwood. You need your 3rd/4th line guys to be able to play the PK so you dont wear out the other players on your top 2 lines.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:43 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If Im not mistaken though, Rinaldo is having the chance to play with Schenn and/or Couturier while Wellwood hasnt yet.

No matter how much Rinaldo doesnt want to admit it, he just doesnt have offensive upside, and is a target for refs. Dont know how he has done on the pk, but that is only way I think he should play over Wellwood. You need your 3rd/4th line guys to be able to play the PK so you dont wear out the other players on your top 2 lines.
I think they'll be fine in that aspect. Read, Talbot, Couturier, and Fedotenko can all pk as well.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I think they'll be fine in that aspect. Read, Talbot, Couturier, and Fedotenko can all pk as well.
This is true, but it's not bad to have a few more guys rotating in. Inno, I just dont see how 3-4 minutes of having Rinaldo out there is benificial for out team. If anything, I think Wellwood has a better offensive upside which gives us a better chance to score goals.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Broad Street Elite

No reason to say "give it to wellwood" or "give the slot to Rinaldo". You let them compete for the job and the winner gets first shot. Competition and fear for your spot are important imo.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Rinaldo brings something that no other player on the team can do aside from schenn. He can actually lay people out with body hits. The guy is feared on the ice.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Rinaldo brings something that no other player on the team can do aside from schenn. He can actually lay people out with body hits. The guy is feared on the ice.
The guy also has a bullseye on his back that the refs LOVE to call penalties on.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:21 PM
CootaRoo

Rinaldo had more of an impact with one single hit in the playoffs than Wellwood/Z/etic. did for their entirity. He is also, from everything I've read, playing better than Wellwood/Z/etc. in the AHL at the moment.

It's not a stretch to assume one of those 4th line wings is his to lose, imo.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:28 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The whole he's a marked man thing is kind of a specious argument...so basically he doesn't deserve a spot on the roster despite his play b/c the refs are AHOLES???

Seems Murray has confidence in him and I know Lavy likes him and suggested he would have an increased role this year if we have a season and Rinaldo doesn't go in the tank. Hey if Wellwood beats him out more power to him but so far it doesn't seem to be the case. Sure he skates like the wind but I'd rather have Rinaldo knock the actual wind out of people and affect the play..all in a legal manner of course.

I think last year he came a long way from his crazy Italian ways....again it was more the refs being idiots than Rinaldo being one. He's going to have his moments b/c he plays on the edge but he showed a lot of discipline like I said...Carcillo instead could never "get it" and didn't see eye to eye with Lavy...instead Rinaldo I believe "respects" Lavy and it's mutual with the coach..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
This lineup has some good sandpaper with Hartnell and Simmer, if Rinaldo beats out Wellwood good, but if Wellwood gets it I won't lose any sleep.

His hit on Volchenkov last postseason was the only good thing about that whole series IMO.

11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
toughfighter83*

i think it's important that the defense is going to be big problem, especially with the lack of scoring depth in that area, if you dont have a great defensive player/scorer, no way this team will win a cup.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Damaged Goods

Rinaldo Wellwood
G/600.251.08
P/601.101.88

Corsi ON-6.874.57
Corsi REL-11.36.6

Goals For ON/602.213.76
Goals Against ON/602.331.08
Goal Diff ON/60-0.12+2.68

Off Zone Start%47.645.0
Off Zone Finish%44.846.6
Zone Finish Diff-2.8+1.6

Pens Taken/603.10.3
Pens Drawn/602.30.5
Pens Diff/60-0.8+0.2

Now I know that Rinaldo had worse linemates and tougher opponents than Wellwood, but the difference in production shows that we are not looking at remotely the same quality of hockey player.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Now I know that Rinaldo had worse linemates and tougher opponents than Wellwood, but the difference in production shows that we are not looking at remotely the same quality of hockey player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Rinaldo had more of an impact with one single hit in the playoffs than Wellwood/Z/etic. did for their entirety.
I appreciate the stats you present and I don't disagree with the general story they tell, but I still stand wholly by this statement.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Unless the teams is getting bullied by the Devils/Bruins/..., which is when a player like Rinaldo or Sestito becomes invaluable.

Both Rinaldo and Sestito are not cast in the same mold as typical goons. They can actually skate and even chip in a goal now and then. Rinaldo can really mix it up with his hits and create space for his mates against teams that are playing tight defense.

Wellwood is a nice addition to the roster as well but he has Hobbit size but less offensive upside than Briere or Read which is why he will always be on the bubble.
I pretty much agree with this, and I also don't see the reason for all of that hate against Rinaldo. OK, I see the argument for it, but I think if he keeps in check the dirtiest of plays he made in the past, his edgy play can be quite effective on the fourth line. And like you said, he can score from time to time, and he's far from being an incompetent hockey player.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I know this is crazy, but both players could play............

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Briere - Schenn - Simmonds
Wellwood - Couturier - Read
Fedetenko - Talbot - Rinaldo

I just feel that Briere is in the way of creating a good chemistry line-up.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:48 AM
CootaRoo

Quote:
I just feel that Briere is in the way of creating a good chemistry line-up.
Briere has been one of the most flexible players on our team since the lockout in terms of chemistry.

He's done well with Richards, Gagne, Hartnell, Leino, Giroux... the list goes on.

He's done poorly with... Carter? I honestly can't come up with any.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Can you please inform me when Briere was ever effective with Richards, Gagne and Giroux?

Old
11-10-2012, 12:50 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Can you please inform me when Briere was ever effective with Richards, Gagne and Giroux?
He hasn't.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
He's currently being effective with Giroux in Germany, I guess. He might be playing on Giroux's wing, actually. I havent watched in a long time so I'm not positive.

11-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Danny Briere has been a huge dissapointment for a great deal of his time on the flyers. He gets excused every year for a poor regular season because he puts up goals in the post season. Everyone forgets that he is also on the ice for a significant amount of goals against.

He's had seasons of

Year 1
31-41-72 - pretty good season considering he never had regular linemates.

Year 2
11-14-25 - Injured for the majority, was poor when he returned.

Year 3
26-27-53 - Another very poor year, only made up for the fact that he excelled in the post season. If he wasn't so bad in the regular season, we might not have had to gain entry to the play-offs in a shootout win.

Year 4
34-34-68 - Great season, mainly due to the significant chemistry developed between Hartnell and Leino, everything clicked for the team, until we got into the stretch and play-offs. Where everything fell apart and the line stopped scoring.

Year 5
16-33-49 - Another terrible regular season for the flyers, in which he could never seem to find a line. Had lengthy scoring droughts. Might have scored goals in the post season, but was on the ice for more against.

So whats instore for the flyers this season? With out defensive woes If we could trade him for a respectable defenseman I would do it in a heartbeat.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:11 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
He's currently being effective with Giroux in Germany, I guess. He might be playing on Giroux's wing, actually. I havent watched in a long time so I'm not positive.
ya, that's cool and all, but it's the DEL.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
ya, that's cool and all, but it's the DEL.
Yes, which is the problem.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:15 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Danny Briere has been a huge dissapointment for a great deal of his time on the flyers. He gets excused every year for a poor regular season because he puts up goals in the post season. Everyone forgets that he is also on the ice for a significant amount of goals against.

He's had seasons of

Year 1
31-41-72 - pretty good season considering he never had regular linemates.

Year 2
11-14-25 - Injured for the majority, was poor when he returned.

Year 3
26-27-53 - Another very poor year, only made up for the fact that he excelled in the post season. If he wasn't so bad in the regular season, we might not have had to gain entry to the play-offs in a shootout win.

Year 4
34-34-68 - Great season, mainly due to the significant chemistry developed between Hartnell and Leino, everything clicked for the team, until we got into the stretch and play-offs. Where everything fell apart and the line stopped scoring.

Year 5
16-33-49 - Another terrible regular season for the flyers, in which he could never seem to find a line. Had lengthy scoring droughts. Might have scored goals in the post season, but was on the ice for more against.

So whats instore for the flyers this season? With out defensive woes If we could trade him for a respectable defenseman I would do it in a heartbeat.
nice post, we signed him for six years? can't remember

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
nice post, we signed him for six years? can't remember
Eight