HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Boedker or Niederreiter?

Old
11-09-2012, 05:43 AM
msv957

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
he played with some of the NHLs most ineffective players last year. It was a black ******* hole.
I hear you but most of these posts in this thread are all about excuses for Nino.

Heck... even a blind squirrel finds some acorns. Nino found 2 acorns last year. If he was a legit NHL prospect with top 5-10 draft status talent he would have at least carried that line and made a case for him to be elevated to at least the 3rd line or better. He didn't show anything for the coaches to put him on a better line. That is not a good sign.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:58 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I hear you but most of these posts in this thread are all about excuses for Nino.

Heck... even a blind squirrel finds some acorns. Nino found 2 acorns last year. If he was a legit NHL prospect with top 5-10 draft status talent he would have at least carried that line and made a case for him to be elevated to at least the 3rd line or better. He didn't show anything for the coaches to put him on a better line. That is not a good sign.
And Nino's response to his awful rookie season, has been to say he's not a grinder, then go out and according to Fishler, work out intensely in the offseason. He's been one of Bridgeport's best player, crashing the net, going to the dirty areas of the ice, while providing physical, chippy play.

Nino's 20, not 24/25. This is his 2nd pro season, not his 4th or 5th.

Based on how Nino's meet the challenge, of putting his lousy rookie season behind him, I expect a much more confident Nino whenever he gets his 2nd chance at a NYI roster spot.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Jester9881

I'm not sure John Tavares would have broken 15pts last year playing 10 minutes a night with Reasoner and Pandolfo and no PP time.... and I'm dead serious about that. They were THAT bad

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Tarasenko
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I'm not sure John Tavares would have broken 15pts last year playing 10 minutes a night with Reasoner and Pandolfo and no PP time.... and I'm dead serious about that. They were THAT bad
Maybe not, too.

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:23 AM
patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Nino. He is 2 years younger ...

Agreed on Nino. And Boedker b. December 16, 1989 is closer to three years older than Niederreiter b. September 8, 1992

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Ominous Grey

Boedker.

What he pulled off in this past playoff season, Nino couldn't hope of doing.

Let's be honest, if Nino didn't have his stellar WJC, he wouldn't have gone that high in the draft. I still think he can be a solid NHLer, but he was over-hyped from Day 1.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:33 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Nino has the higher upside, but Boedker is proving his chops in the league right now ( albeit slowly ). Boedker might just be one of the 5 fastest skaters in the league, has a good pair of hands, awareness in all three zones, and isn't shy about playing the body. I'd love to have him paired with Seguin on the Bruins; Yotes have a good player on their hands.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:53 PM
patrick

Boedker's upside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Boedker.

Let's be honest, if Nino didn't have his stellar WJC, he wouldn't have gone that high in the draft. I still think he can be a solid NHLer, but he was over-hyped from Day 1.
is to get hot and score a couple of big goals. Boedker was hardly dominant in the playoffs but obviously stepped up in OT a couple of times. Nino's upside is to put the team on his back and dominate.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
TS Quint

Boedker started his career off going to the NHL way too early nearly destroying him. He was very lucky to have Maloney come in and send him to he AHL for proper development. Too bad for Nino his soul sucking franchise won't do the same for him. Once Nino showed he couldn't make the Islanders 3rd line (how hard could it be?)he should have been sent to the AHL. If this continues your answer is BOEDKER.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
Boedker started his career off going to the NHL way too early nearly destroying him. He was very lucky to have Maloney come in and send him to he AHL for proper development. Too bad for Nino his soul sucking franchise won't do the same for him.
You mean.... like he is right now? Leading his team in goals and points?

Old
11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Ginu

I guess it depends if he makes the Islanders this year and is centered by Tavares. What's the likelihood Niederreiter makes the team? I mean, Parenteau left so there's a spot open.

If he does, I bet he outscores Boedker next season. Thoughts?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:12 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I guess it depends if he makes the Islanders this year and is centered by Tavares. What's the likelihood Niederreiter makes the team? I mean, Parenteau left so there's a spot open.
All signs point to Brad Boyes being Tavares winger. In the case of Nino if he can't play on the top 3 lines he should stay in Bridgeport

Personally I would use him as first call up when we down a winger or late season and you out of the playoffs

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Zorkan

Quote:
Boedker started his career off going to the NHL way too early nearly destroying him. He was very lucky to have Maloney come in and send him to he AHL for proper development. Too bad for Nino his soul sucking franchise won't do the same for him. Once Nino showed he couldn't make the Islanders 3rd line (how hard could it be?)he should have been sent to the AHL. If this continues your answer is BOEDKER.
If I remember correctly, sending down Niederreiter to the AHL was not an option since he would have had to be sent down to the Juniors last year (which - in hindsight - might have been the better option anyway though).

Zorkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:15 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Nino was 19, too young for the AHL.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:56 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
You mean.... like he is right now? Leading his team in goals and points?
right. You also have to remember there is more to hockey than points. I don't think its his offense that is holding him back right now.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:59 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Nino was 19, too young for the AHL.
too young for the NHL too.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:06 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Bingo!

Also not to mention he was going through a few injuries....

The biggest flaw in his game is his skating, this year it looks much better.

I have no worries about Nino if he is playing in the correct role.

If he is centerd by Tavares, Strome, or a Nelson he will be fine....
He is meshing well with Nelson, both averaging over a point a game, both averaging 0.6+ goals per game. I'm a huge Nelson fan as well, but I can only imaging what Niņo would do with a season as Tavares' linemate. Obviously Tavares is in another stratosphere than Brock Nelson.

I was a Boedkker fan for the 2008 draft, wanted the Isles to pick him instead of Bailey. This is a tough call, Niņo is really playing great at this moment, and he JUST turned 20, so I think he has more upside than Boedkker. It really is close though, still think Boedkker can be a damned good player.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
right. You also have to remember there is more to hockey than points. I don't think its his offense that is holding him back right now.
Alright..... what is holding him back then? Unless you're talking about last year when he was rushed to the NHL as a 19 year old...I'm not seeing it. There's nothing holding him back at the moment, he's playing very well.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Yep. I, and many other Habs fans, have been drawing up the Pacioretty-esque development curve comparisons for a while now. The lockout has only helped him IMO (at the very least to guarantee he stays down to develop in the AHL for a while).
I would agree with this and he has the higher ceiling as well.

The style and system that the Yotes play really doesn't foster offensive development IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I wish the GD stupid league and union would get their heads out of their greedy A's so we could find out.

Boedker developed great chemistry with Doan and Vermette. That line was Phoenix's best in the playoffs.

Seems so long ago.

11-10-2012, 01:56 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
too young for the NHL too.

Nino wasn't ready for the NHL. He needed to be 20 to play in the AHL.

The isles ought to have sent him back to juniors, when they saw how he was struggling.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:29 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about.

I had no idea Nino's points were so low last season! Boedker has shown glimpses but Nino's potential is a little higher, question is, will he reach it? I take Boedker now but I wouldn't fret if my team had Nino instead. I love the way both these guys play, skill coupled with some grit!
Settle down,I know what I'm talkin' about. I realize how low Nino scored last year.. On the 4th line. He's also younger and has a higher potential. While Boedker hasn't even hit 30 points in 4 NHL seasons.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:07 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Boedker.

you mean like play at a 40 pt pace? wow. or do you mean where he scored 2 OT goals that Crawford should have easily stopped?

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Nino wasn't ready for the NHL. He needed to be 20 to play in the AHL.

The isles ought to have sent him back to juniors, when they saw how he was struggling.
That was my point.