HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Griffin Reinhart - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2012, 4th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
So for those who get to watch Reinhart regularly, how NHL ready is he right now?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:49 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
So for those who get to watch Reinhart regularly, how NHL ready is he right now?
Could he play in the NHL right now? Probably, he has the defensive game for it. Would he excel in the NHL? That's a different question.

But I don't see why he should be rushed along. I think this year and possibly another in the WHL would be great for his development and maybe even a year in the AHL after that.

I don't think defencemen should be rushed into the NHL. I'm not an Isles fan but I do like Reinhart and I think he'd be best served by playing out this year in the WHL, then spending 13-14 in the WHL, at least partially, and then start the AHL in 14-15 with the potential of being called up.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Could he play in the NHL right now? Probably, he has the defensive game for it. Would he excel in the NHL? That's a different question.

But I don't see why he should be rushed along. I think this year and possibly another in the WHL would be great for his development and maybe even a year in the AHL after that.

I don't think defencemen should be rushed into the NHL. I'm not an Isles fan but I do like Reinhart and I think he'd be best served by playing out this year in the WHL, then spending 13-14 in the WHL, at least partially, and then start the AHL in 14-15 with the potential of being called up.
Was just about to post something basically identical to this. He could play in the NHL this year, but long term I think it would be best to finish the year in the dub and play a year, maybe a year and a half in the AHL before stepping into the NHL.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Raging Bull

Is Brent Seabrook a good comparison for him? I'd expect him to put up around 35-40 points a year in the NHL when he fully develops.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Is Brent Seabrook a good comparison for him? I'd expect him to put up around 35-40 points a year in the NHL when he fully develops.
Not to rag on Reinhart's offensive game because I think that end of his skillset is definitely untapped, but so far Seabrook has posted more impressive junior numbers than Reinhart has to date.

Seabrook is also more physical than Reinhart, not to say that aspect of his game can't/won't change either.

I said this before but I think Ryan Suter is the best comparison for Reinhart.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:53 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Thanks for the input guys. I hope the Isles do the right thing with him and leave him in Edmonton the rest of this year (if the lockout ends) and next year. I was just curious about his readiness.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Not to rag on Reinhart's offensive game because I think that end of his skillset is definitely untapped, but so far Seabrook has posted more impressive junior numbers than Reinhart has to date.
In terms of the year after their draft year, yes, Reinhart has started slow in terms of offensive output.

However, if you're just counting their draft years - Seabrook put up .60 PPG and Reinhart put up .62 PPG. So your post isn't entirely accurate.

The emphasis shouldn't be put on statistics. Seabrook and Reinhart actually play similar games, with Seabrook being more physical and Reinhart being more cerebral. In the end he could end up a similar player, possibly even better.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:22 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
From what im reading he reminds me of braydon coburn but not as great of a skater. No knock on Reinhart though because Coburn is one of the beat skating defensemen in the NHL.

I live on long island an hoping this kid turns into a stud for the isles, even though im a flyers fan haha
I think Coburn is a fairly decent comparison. Big dman, responsible defensively, not a truly dynamic offensive player, but well rounded, can pass, shoot and move the puck. Jason Garrison isn't a bad one either, though a bit more of a puck mover with a bit less of a bomb from the point. I can see Alex Edler as somewhat of a maximum upside projection, but he'd need to get a lot more confident and aggressive offensively.

Quote:
I tend to think that the CHL is a great place to develop your offensive game, because top prospects will get a lot of offensive responsibility, and can try out new moves more easily in the CHL than the NHL. The NHL seems like a better place for prospects to develop their 2-way game, and to remove bad habits. Reinhart is already pretty solid in terms of safe, 2-way play, but to maximize his potential it'd be nice to see him be more aggressive and confident offensively. I have to think the CHL is the best place for him to develop in that regard. He might be "ready" to be a #6 dman for the Isles, but that's probably not the best way to help him reach his potential.

Last edited by ponder: 11-09-2012 at 08:27 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:20 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I think Coburn is a fairly decent comparison. Big dman, responsible defensively, not a truly dynamic offensive player, but well rounded, can pass, shoot and move the puck. Jason Garrison isn't a bad one either, though a bit more of a puck mover with a bit less of a bomb from the point. I can see Alex Edler as somewhat of a maximum upside projection, but he'd need to get a lot more confident and aggressive offensively.
I would be very happy if Reinhart develops into a Coburn type. I'd do cart wheels if he's more like Edler. It's nice to have a premium defense prospect like big Griff in the Isles system, we haven't had one like him in quite some time.

Quote:
I tend to think that the CHL is a great place to develop your offensive game, because top prospects will get a lot of offensive responsibility, and can try out new moves more easily in the CHL than the NHL. The NHL seems like a better place for prospects to develop their 2-way game, and to remove bad habits. Reinhart is already pretty solid in terms of safe, 2-way play, but to maximize his potential it'd be nice to see him be more aggressive and confident offensively. I have to think the CHL is the best place for him to develop in that regard. He might be "ready" to be a #6 dman for the Isles, but that's probably not the best way to help him reach his potential.
My sentiments mirror yours. I'm of the opinion that Reinhart would best be served playing this year and the next in the CHL to do exactly what you described. It would really give him the time to refine his game and in an environment conducive to success. I'm very willing to wait for him to be as prepared as possible so that his transition to the NHL is as smooth as possible.

Now, we are the New York Islanders. We've become infamous for pulling some 'WTF?' moves over the years. From all the reports about Reinhart, his defensive game is very advanced and he's got the size to be able to compete with the big boys. He's got the tools to be more of an offensive force, but he's not getting the opportunity right now. If the lockout ends, I'm very afraid the Isles brass gives him the 9-game stint and he plays solid. All of a sudden the thought of 'we can develop him better here than back in Edmonton' starts creeping into the minds of Snow or whoever else in the organization. It's a very possible scenario, especially considering the status of the Isles defense corps. I pray my fears are unwanted.

My mind tells me that this regime has been patient with the defense prospects. Hamonic, Calvin de Haan, Matt Donovan, and Aaron Ness have all been allowed to develop at a decent pace. Hamonic is kind of a special case as he's developed quite quickly and CDH has been hampered by injuries, but they were both allowed to finish their Junior careers and spent time in the AHL. None of them were as highly regarded as Reinhart though. I'm just very curious as to how things go with his development because it could go either way. I hope they learned something from another 'tweener' named Nino last year.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:20 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
I'm not a big fan of Reinhart, but he reminds me a lot of Suter and might reach his defensive game as well.

Duncan Siemens reminds me a lot of Coburn (Duncan is a much better skater though).

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:02 AM
StrongIslanders90

If Reinhart becomes a shutdown guy and only cranks out 30-35 pts a year I wont be mad.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:04 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Watch him tonight in the Super Series. He won't usually wow you, but he's almost always in the perfect position.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another really smart, solid game from Griffin tonight against Moose Jaw. He plays such a pro style game and makes everything look so effortless. Great decisions with the puck in the D zone. Scored on a 1-timer bomb on the PP. Manhandled anyone who tried to get in his way in the corners.

Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:39 PM
SDig14

I'm pretty convinced he will be in the NHL whenever they decide to play again.

He's ready physically and would be fine defensively. Of course, a year in the AHL wouldn't hurt, but he comes across as the type of ready that would not be hurt by rushing him into the show.

His offensive game isn't there yet, but that's minor details. Physically nature, smart, and good defensively. He's ready.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:40 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
If Reinhart becomes a shutdown guy and only cranks out 30-35 pts a year I wont be mad.
How many shut down defensemen 'crank out' 30-35 points per year? 20-25 is even a lot..

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:04 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post

He's ready physically and would be fine defensively. Of course, a year in the AHL wouldn't hurt, but he comes across as the type of ready that would not be hurt by rushing him into the show.

His offensive game isn't there yet, but that's minor details. Physically nature, smart, and good defensively. He's ready.
as an isles fan, this is the main reason i'd like to see him stay in juniors for this year and even next. i think he has a lot of untapped potential on the offensive side of things which we saw glimpses of tonight. it's substantially tougher, imo, for young d-men, particularly those who are more defensively inclined, to develop their offensive game in the nhl. also, although he's got a big frame, he still looks like a kid. he's still got a lot of filling out to do.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:06 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

He's ready to play pro here pretty quickly but I would have ZERO bad things to say about the Isles if they left him to play junior for another year. Definitely wouldn't hurt him and he would anchor Team Canada in 2014 for WJ's.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:18 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He's ready to play pro here pretty quickly but I would have ZERO bad things to say about the Isles if they left him to play junior for another year. Definitely wouldn't hurt him and he would anchor Team Canada in 2014 for WJ's.
I don't think he's eligible for next year's WJC as he turns 20 in October. Unless he blows the doors off next season, I hope the Isles do the right thing and send him back to Edmonton. He's an important piece for the future so giving him another year to fill out physically as well as developing his offensive tools would be prudent. I am growing more pleased with his selection by the day.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:42 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I don't think he's eligible for next year's WJC as he turns 20 in October. Unless he blows the doors off next season, I hope the Isles do the right thing and send him back to Edmonton. He's an important piece for the future so giving him another year to fill out physically as well as developing his offensive tools would be prudent. I am growing more pleased with his selection by the day.
Ya, he might not be. Was just throwing it out there as next year is his 19 year old season, in relation to the NHL draft atleast.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:03 AM
SDig14

I understand the logic in not rushing him from a mental standpoint and potential confidence issue, but I don't get the offensive worries or filling out at all.

The kid is clearly a man amongst boys in the WHL physically and he's already over 200 pounds. Is him at 208 going to be vastly different than the 202 he is right now?

If you're waiting for his offense to be NHL ready, then you'll be waiting more than a year. He kinda reminds me of Weber in that offensive instincts looked good and appears to have offensive potential that's untapped right now, but an extra year isn't going to allow it to bloom an all of a sudden make him ready.

His offensive game will likely continue to develop over the next 5+ years to the point where we will truly know what he's capable of.

Either way, the kid is going to be quite good IMO. You may not notice him some nights, but he will be very solid.

If he ever gets mean he will be a scary defender.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:36 AM
romao

Quote:
Are we still talking about Griffin Reinhart? If so, he should be eligible for WJC-2014 since he born Jan 24, 1994.

romao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:02 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romao View Post
Are we still talking about Griffin Reinhart? If so, he should be eligible for WJC-2014 since he born Jan 24, 1994.
Whoops, my bad. I had it in my head that he was an Oct. '93 birth date.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
After all the hype of rielly, watched him and reinhart head to heqd and griffen was the better player last night easily.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:53 AM

Seems like a player who will take some time to reach his peak but when ge does will be a great player and possibly a # 1 defender.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:23 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post

With only the #6 and #7 spots open, I doubt Reinhart makes the NYI this season. I think one of those spots goes to 22 yr olds Donovan or Ness, while the last spot will be taken by a vet Snow picks up after training camps end.

I think the isles would want 18/19 yr old Reinhart, to continue getting a lot of icetime. Not play #6 or #7 minutes.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote