HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Jersey & Logo Talk (Green To Stay Confirmed!)

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Brand New Stars

vCash: 500
^^ Money and ego

Old
11-09-2012, 08:33 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
You guys should really wait and see what they decide to use. It might be different, perhaps vastly so, but it doesn't have to be worse.
IMO vastly different change when it comes to a sports team is, by definition, bad. Colors are important. They're the identity of the team, the essence. They're even more important than logos or uniforms. You simply don't change them unless something is seriously wrong with the existing ones. You certainly don't do it on a whim or based on a focus group. And you absolutely don't do it when they're unique and distinctive in your respective sport.

I can tell you that I will never, for the rest of my life, buy a single piece of Stars merchandise if the colors are changed.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Holy ****ing crap. If they get rid of the green, I give up. The last jersey I bought was a Zubov Green star cut CCM, and it's the best ****ing jersey of all time.

Red? Blue? Green is literally the only color we can use to separate from the bland colors that everybody else uses (minus Minny)

Then again our fan base is pretty retarded, and care's nothing about history and tradition. (Not talking about our forum goers)

How many of you guys have one of the new EDGE jerseys? Am I the only one boycotting?

Old
11-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
IMO vastly different change when it comes to a sports team is, by definition, bad. Colors are important. They're the identity of the team, the essence. They're even more important than logos or uniforms. You simply don't change them unless something is seriously wrong with the existing ones. You certainly don't do it on a whim or based on a focus group. And you absolutely don't do it when they're unique and distinctive in your respective sport.

I can tell you that I will never, for the rest of my life, buy a single piece of Stars merchandise if the colors are changed.
I'm with you.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:00 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
How many of you guys have one of the new EDGE jerseys? Am I the only one boycotting?
Nope. The last jersey I got was the star pattern ones. I had no interest in the Edge redesign. I've bought green practice jerseys in the meantime.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:07 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I am guilty, I have three EDGE jerseys. Would have more if they didn't have to have player name/number without looking completely terrible.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
I am guilty, I have three EDGE jerseys. Would have more if they didn't have to have player name/number without looking completely terrible.
Can I ask why?

Old
11-09-2012, 09:13 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
not going to put a Loui or Ribs name/number on a jersey they only wore for a year or less.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:01 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I'm disappointed .. Wow

Old
11-10-2012, 12:36 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
To be fair, I'm not really sure I'd say the Stars' have "thousands" of diehards. That said, though, most of them are the STHs and where the money comes from. Seems like they're trying more to appeal to a casual fan (or those not even fans at all) by changing simply to change, not because it's better.

I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it. All I know is that I want to keep the green, only make minor changes to the logo (if any), and just get more color into them.
I'm very confident that there are thousands. Just because their not on here posting doesn't mean they don't know what's going on.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:07 AM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
over-reaction in here, eh. relax. you would think they are personally insulting you, and not thinking about changing colors and/or logos. do I prefer the older jerseys? yes. do i prefer green? yes. did i buy the new ones anyway? yes. you can thank me. I am solely keeping the EDGE beast alive. what. a. joke.

Last edited by piqued: 11-14-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: name-calling
Old
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:

Bang on. And I'm with you on that bold part.

I've been a fan of the team since about 1984 or so myself. Way back when I was a little guy. Living up by Edmonton and growing up during the oilers dynasty years, people would always ask me (and still do at times), "How did you become a Stars fan?" I remember specifically laying on the living room floor after hockey on Saturday mornings, my brother and I opening packages of the old O-Pee-Chee stickers and placing them in our albums. There was something about that N symbol with the star on it, as well as the team name, and of course the colors. Became my team right then and there.

Obviously the "North" has been dropped and that symbol only exists on vintage items, but if they completely drop the colors I'd be disgusted.

But going back to what I have heard from a source, they were leaning on sticking with green - with black/gold, and then possibly some silver highlights which I may be able to handle depending on how much silver and where.

EDIT: I just scrolled through and read that post about the new designs being seen. Maybe it's true, maybe not. I pray it's not. Should I post TG's email so we can let him know how we feel?

Last edited by tjcurrie: 11-10-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old
11-14-2012, 11:35 AM
txomisc

Heikas latest piece on jersey changes is worrisome.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2012...nization.html/

I guess they know the fans want green but it seems like they really want to change colors. How is Gaglardi going to mention this franchise is one of the original 12 and want to honor that yet drop the green?

"On the other, there is a group that believesif this organization was ever going to consider a change, now is the time. There are some who don’t want to look back and believe that they failed to seize a golden opportunity"

so what they are worried that they might be the NHLs green team and never get the chance to copy other teams color schemes?

Screw it. Lets just go red white and blue with a circle logo.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Brand New Stars

So extremely disappointing. That's all there is to say really.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:59 AM
txomisc

I suspect the real internal struggle is they really want to change color schemes but are afraid of the fan backlash they know it will cause. In the end I think they choose to alienate the fans and drastically alter the look of the franchise.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I suspect the real internal struggle is they really want to change color schemes but are afraid of the fan backlash they know it will cause. In the end I think they choose to alienate the fans and drastically alter the look of the franchise.
That's the only thing I can imagine dragging this out. Wow surprising, fans lose again.

I will throw up if and when it does resemble Crapcouvers look.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:36 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Non-hockey minds making decisions for the franchise fans disagree with? Sounds like the Stars org to the tee.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I don't know how Gaglardi can say in one breath that he wants a timeless jersey that looks like it's been around for 40 years and then talk about how attractive our pajamas are. Maybe someone can point me to the classic designs that look like our current set. 2 tiny thin stripes around the arm and no stripe along the hem, yeah, that's real traditional.

I can't get over all the descriptions of how difficult this process is either. The whole thing could probably be done better in a single afternoon than what they'll come up with after 6 months. Paralysis by analysis, as Razor would say.

The color thing doesn't get any less disturbing either. That right there plainly tells me that they don't get it. I'd say there's almost no chance we come out of this process with something that looks good and respects our history.

We'll be back at the drawing board in another 10 years. Maybe we'll get something decent then.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:44 PM
txomisc

Quote:
I don't know how Gaglardi can say in one breath that he wants a timeless jersey that looks like it's been around for 40 years and then talk about how attractive our pajamas are. Maybe someone can point me to the classic designs that look like our current set. 2 tiny thin stripes around the arm and no stripe along the hem, yeah, that's real traditional.

I can't get over all the descriptions of how difficult this process is either. The whole thing could probably be done better in a single afternoon than what they'll come up with after 6 months. Paralysis by analysis, as Razor would say.

The color thing doesn't get any less disturbing either. That right there plainly tells me that they don't get it. I'd say there's almost no chance we come out of this process with something that looks good and respects our history.

We'll be back at the drawing board in another 10 years. Maybe we'll get something decent then.
It seems as if they think they can come up with new uniforms that attracts new fans or at least has a look that manages to sell among nonhockey fans. It really does feel like they are over thinking the entire thing.

Oh yeah and if they have 6 weeks left to decide it would be pathetic to miss the deadline leaving us with the same jerseys for another year.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I don't know how you're going to attract new fans with different colors.

The only thing that DFW fans care about is winning.

And if you listen to out-of-market fans most of them were drawn to the team at least in part by the unique color scheme.

That's how you raise your national profile. You do something distinctive and bold. (or you draft Crosby) That's what Nashville tried to do by going with yellow. You can make whatever judgement you want on whether that's visually pleasing or not, but there's no doubt you're looking at the Nashville Predators. The Stars already have the unique and eye-catching colors to do something similar.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:46 PM
TrillMike

I'm not one to do things like this. Is there anything we can do? Like spamming there twitter/Facebook/emails with "BRING BACK THE GREEN!"

Old
11-14-2012, 03:03 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I don't think it really matters judging from what Heika said. It seems like the fans' overall position is well-known within the organization. They just don't care. Or perhaps I should say some just don't care, likely those with the biggest say in the matter.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Just gets better each day doesn't it?

This fits right in line with what Bettman thinks. "We have the greatest fans in the world, and we truly value their input" Then goes completely against what the majority are saying they'd prefer. We don't own the team, I get it. But at the end of the day we fill your ****ing bank accounts. We come to the games, we buy your ****** food, and we endure lockouts for what? An unheard voice that's only there to serve you up a fresh new pile of cash.

Consider this a warning. IF you change the teams colors you will lose my support for not just the Dallas Stars, but the NHL as a whole. The track record of this "League" is abysmal. You fat cats clearly don't give two ****s about what fans have to say.

You ****** really need to figure out who's buttering your bread. Straw that's going to break your back after this lockout? Yeah, you bet.

If you can't hear me now, then you'll certainly hear me when I mail all of my NHL apparal to TSN, and ask them to return it to your ****ing face.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:00 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Where's Troy?

Remember when we were arguing over shades of green? Those were the days.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Your new avatar is spot on.

Closed Thread