HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Mats86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
For those who have seen Jonathan Drouin play, which NHL player is he best comparable to?

Thanks in advance.
Brian Propp....plays left side, shifty with speed, finds the openings, got great snapshot like Propp had.

Old
11-09-2012, 04:38 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
For those who have seen Jonathan Drouin play, which NHL player is he best comparable to?

Thanks in advance.
Drouin playmaking and puck protection is a lot like Pierre Mondou & Denis Savard.IMO

Old
11-09-2012, 06:18 AM
MXD

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Alex Tanguay

Old
11-09-2012, 08:40 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Sasha Barkov! I'd want to see more of them all tbh, but Drouin seems like a guy who could challenge as well.
No way to either. Barkov is good, but his ceiling is not as high as MacKinnon. He will be a good NHL player (Barkov) but I don't know if he'll be a major point-producer.

Drouin is still a big risk. He's a lot of flash, but I wouldn't put him on MacKinnon's level cerebrally. Like I said before, I have no idea if all his junior tricks are going to work at the NHL level. MacKinnon to me could be playing in the NHL right now. Drouin is still further off. But Drouin seems to find a way to produce at whatever level he's playing at, so I have to give him credit for that. I'm still not 100% sold though, especially over Mac.

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Patrick Kane. On the prospects board, someone said Drouin's downside is Sam Gagner, and I'd agree a lot with that too.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
you can see him play again tommorow at 7pm on TVA sport..
Just to be clear, that would be tonight. It's also on Sportsnet nationally. Unfortunately, Gatineau sort of stinks this year, so it could be a lopsided game.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Just to be clear, that would be tonight. It's also on Sportsnet nationally. Unfortunately, Gatineau sort of stinks this year, so it could be a lopsided game.
You know it's bad when the ads are selling the game as "Nathan MacKinnon and the Mooseheads versus Tomas Hyka and the Olympiques".

Old
11-09-2012, 05:14 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Apparently Émile Poirier has been playing much better lately. I could see him be picked in the 50-75 range IF he maintains his most recent level of play. Great offensive tools, decent size.

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/plante/20...emile-poirier/

Old
11-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Drouin and MacKinnon with assists on a PP goal.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:31 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Drouin and MacKinnon with assists on a PP goal.
WoW Drouin displayed some sick puckhandling skills in the neutral zone, that was crazy.. More I see the kid play, more I wish the Habs to have another tough season..Just another one, after that we will be set for years..

Old
11-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
No way to either. Barkov is good, but his ceiling is not as high as MacKinnon. He will be a good NHL player (Barkov) but I don't know if he'll be a major point-producer.
I agree MacKinnon is the better prospect, but Barkov could be better. Barkov's lack of explosiveness is an issue though, which means there are valid concerns about his offensive upside. There's a very good chance he ends up as another Mikko Koivu - which is definitely not a bad thing by any means, but he might not "take over" offensively. On the other hand he's better than Koivu at the same age and he has better vision than MacKinnon currently has, so I wouldn't count out Barkov as the best player in the draft.

But between MacKinnon's speed, shot and grittiness (Barkov can be physical but he lets it come to him more than the other way around), it would take a lot for Barkov to surpass Mac.

Quote:
Drouin is still a big risk. He's a lot of flash, but I wouldn't put him on MacKinnon's level cerebrally. Like I said before, I have no idea if all his junior tricks are going to work at the NHL level. MacKinnon to me could be playing in the NHL right now. Drouin is still further off. But Drouin seems to find a way to produce at whatever level he's playing at, so I have to give him credit for that. I'm still not 100% sold though, especially over Mac.
I really like Drouin and I do love skill players above all else, but I do agree that Drouin has risks some of the other prospects do not. Between the Habs needing skilled winger badly and Drouin being from Quebec I see why everyone here is dying for him..but I'd be hesitant to trade up for him especially if he's going to go at or near the top 5. Obviously it depends on where the Habs draft, but I'm not quite ready to equate him with Mackinnon, Barkov and Lindholm.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I agree MacKinnon is the better prospect, but Barkov could be better. Barkov's lack of explosiveness is an issue though, which means there are valid concerns about his offensive upside. There's a very good chance he ends up as another Mikko Koivu - which is definitely not a bad thing by any means, but he might not "take over" offensively. On the other hand he's better than Koivu at the same age and he has better vision than MacKinnon currently has, so I wouldn't count out Barkov as the best player in the draft.

But between MacKinnon's speed, shot and grittiness (Barkov can be physical but he lets it come to him more than the other way around), it would take a lot for Barkov to surpass Mac.
The comparison I've come up with for Barkov based on my limited viewings is Johan Franzen. Big but not especially physical, willing to battle for pucks, able defensively, not a brilliant skater, great at creating havoc in the crease, possessing a heavy wrister and always leaving you wanting a bit more.

Quote:
I really like Drouin and I do love skill players above all else, but I do agree that Drouin has risks some of the other prospects do not. Between the Habs needing skilled winger badly and Drouin being from Quebec I see why everyone here is dying for him..but I'd be hesitant to trade up for him especially if he's going to go at or near the top 5. Obviously it depends on where the Habs draft, but I'm not quite ready to equate him with Mackinnon, Barkov and Lindholm.
I agree with that assessment...and don't get me wrong, if we somehow landed Drouin, I'd be incredibly excited. But I'm not ready to call him a slam dunk pick yet.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:58 PM
OneSharpMarble

If Drouin isn't an option I hope we look into Gauthier.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Holy crap. Drouin with an amazing wrister from the circles for a goal.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Et le But

Quote:
The comparison I've come up with for Barkov based on my limited viewings is Johan Franzen. Big but not especially physical, willing to battle for pucks, able defensively, not a brilliant skater, great at creating havoc in the crease, possessing a heavy wrister and always leaving you wanting a bit more.
It's possible, I see the comparison in their games, my biggest concern about Barkov is that he's peaked already considering how smart he plays, at which point you'd be right...I feel like Barkov is a bit better at everything though, the kid is just so fundamentally sound and he's a much better playmaker than Franzen.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
It's possible, I see the comparison in their games, my biggest concern about Barkov is that he's peaked already considering how smart he plays, at which point you'd be right...I feel like Barkov is a bit better at everything though, the kid is just so fundamentally sound and he's a much better playmaker than Franzen.
I actually have the exact same concern.

And you're right, his vision is a lot better than Franzen's.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Et le But

According to twitter, Grant McCagg is a Drouin believer.

Quote:
Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg

Just got back from Hull. Drouin is the real deal - could be a top three pick. Incredibly skilled and smart, great shot, agile, quick...

Old
11-09-2012, 10:53 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
According to twitter, Grant McCagg is a Drouin believer.
Yes there will be a lot of those.

I still don't think he's ahead of Nate, Barkov or Jones "prospect wise". But his flash and upside could squeak him into the top 5. top 10 more likely.

As for comparison... Giroux, briere, Kane all jump out at me..

Old
11-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post

I still don't think he's ahead of Nate, Barkov or Jones "prospect wise". But his flash and upside could squeak him into the top 5. top 10 more likely.

I don't really like the Giroux comparisons tbh, the hands are there but Giroux is feisty, Drouin isn't soft by any means but I don't see him with Giroux's edge. He does have a bit higher bust potential than his peers in a ridiculously strong draft, but he's the best playmaker besides Barkov and Lindholm in this draft and he's a joy to watch.

Right now he's behind Nate, Barkov, Jones and Lindholm for me, but he's definitely a top 10 pick IMO and borderline top 5.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Protest the Hero

I refuse to get hyped for a prospect before I know where Montreal is picking.

We still need more high end skill in our prospect pool though.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I refuse to get hyped for a prospect before I know where Montreal is picking.

We still need more high end skill in our prospect pool though.
With the 30th pick, the Montreal Canadiens select...

Old
11-09-2012, 11:43 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post

I really, really like Drouin, I almost want him more than anyone in this draft for the Habs just because his skill level is so fun to watch, and I think he and Gally would mesh well.

But realistically speaking, I think MacKinnon, Barkov, and Jones got the top 3 spots locked up. Sure Jones has yet to dominate in the CHL, but watching him at the under 18s last year he was the best kid in that tournament by far and a year younger than anyone else.

I also think Monahan is ahead of Drouin. I think 5th overall is his ceiling, but as you said more likely a couple spots lower since their are a couple D and a couple Euros who are in contention to get that spot as well. It really is a strong class this year, most years Drouin would go 2 or 3 I think.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
I actually have the exact same concern.

And you're right, his vision is a lot better than Franzen's.
Barkov just turned 17 a couple of months ago. I have a hard time believing he isn't going to add other levels to his game. It's probably a little too early to say he's "peaked" as the other poster said.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:52 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Monahan is on a nice 9-game point streak. Too bad his team is sucking.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
So let's say we finish around 10th overall, with Shinkaruk/Monahan/Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov already selected.

If we were to pick a forward, between Mantha, Gauthier, Erne, Duclair, and Lindholm, who do we pick?

I'd say Erne.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:04 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
So let's say we finish around 10th overall, with Shinkaruk/Monahan/Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov already selected.

If we were to pick a forward, between Mantha, Gauthier, Erne, Duclair, and Lindholm, who do we pick?

I'd say Erne.
Erne would be great but Lindholm is expected to be around 5th overall, if he is there we take him. He is the most skilled player available my miles.

Closed Thread