HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons @ Abbotsford Heat, Friday 11/9 8PM MDT "Adding Fuel To The Fire"

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 11:09 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
MP isn't exactly a roster player. He has 19 goals in 120 games.MP has been in and out of the line-up since day 1. If it were not for injuries and the fact that he plays on the worse team in the NHL we may not have seen him in the NHL. He also is very one dimensional. I really don't get how people call him a good two-player? The play dies on his stick. Sam Gagner gets crapped on all the time and MP gets all these excuses? Really don't get it!

I do agree that he could potentially stay in the AHL for the next two seasons and develop. IF we are lucky we could end up with another Todd Marchant (As another poster pointed out)
He played 80 games in his rookie season... I'm not sure how that's in and out of the lineup?

He also played about 35 games straight the next year while Oilers fans begged for management to send him down to OKC for confidence. Took forever but they finally did it.

How many points do you expect a 2 way player to chip in? I'm thinking 30-40 qualifies and I don't think that's out of reach for MPS.

I'm a Gagner fan btw, but he obviously has higher expectations with being older, having better linemates, pp time and a higher draft position.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:10 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Yeah, maybe some of us shouldn't have crowed that the Barons were going to tear the AHL a new ******* this year. I can hear flames fans already "something special indeed hyuk hyuk!".
There was too much chest thumping about the Barons before they even played a game. Now, i'm sure that other fanbases are laughing at Oilers fans now. CP must be in all their glory tonight, not like i care to check.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:11 PM
HopelessOilFan

If its not the ****** feed causing me to waste my money its the ****** play of the barons..

Old
11-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Qrispy

**** this. I'm done with this ****** team.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:12 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
People who are expecting top-6 offense out of MPS are going to be disappointed.
Oh there were many posters who believed that.
Quote:
MPS is big, fast and good defensively.
His size is irrelevant since he doesn't have the first clue about how to use it to his advantage. To be fair I have noticed him hitting a bit tonight.
He's fast. I give him that.
His defensive wizardry is so exaggerated on this site that it approaches Horcoffian levels of urban legend.
Quote:
He's already scored 15g in the NHL and can probably get 20 once he gets more experience.
MPS will never score twenty goals in the NHL. People underestimate how difficult it is to get twenty goals in the NHL these days.
Quote:
A second round pick is almost pointless, we already have two seconds coming up in the next draft
Unless we want to package up some draft picks to move up in the draft or add onto a trade for a roster player.
Draft picks are never pointless because there are always GMs at various stages of rebuilding their teams.
Quote:
LEADING THE TEAM in zone start / finish proving his defensive ability.
On the worst team in the NHL by a country mile.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

vCash: 50
Flames fans coming in peace...not sure what the score is but judging by the reaction im guessing Heat's winning?

Anyways, how has Baertschi looked?

Old
11-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Nail and Nuge

To be fair, the Heat have players like Brodie, Green, Kolanos, Street.

We have RNH, Eberle, Hall, and Schultz.

Not an even match and 4-0 is to be expected.

Wait...Barons are losing?

Nelson, start scanning the Classified ads my friend.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Flames fans coming in peace...not sure what the score is but judging by the reaction im guessing Heat's winning?

4-0 Heat. And he won't even be close to your "Eberle" no matter how hard you guys try to convince yourselves otherwise.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:17 PM
SDig14

The silver lining is this team is .500 while looking disturbingly terrible at times.

There is nowhere to go but up IMO, and they obviously won't be this bad for the entire season. Hopefully they get it together sooner rather than later though.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Remember when we wanted Todd Nelson to coach the Oilers?

Old
11-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
4-0 Heat. And he won't even be close to your "Eberle" no matter how hard you guys try to convince yourselves otherwise.
4-0, going on 5.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:18 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Why not? He's a tremendous prospect, he could very well be as good as Eberle.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:19 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
He played 80 games in his rookie season... I'm not sure how that's in and out of the lineup?
He also played about 35 games straight the next year while Oilers fans begged for management to send him down to OKC for confidence. Took forever but they finally did it.

How many points do you expect a 2 way player to chip in? I'm thinking 30-40 qualifies and I don't think that's out of reach for MPS.

I'm a Gagner fan btw, but he obviously has higher expectations with being older, having better linemates, pp time and a higher draft position.
Keep in mind that his ELC will include this season 2012-2013(hopefully)
I'm projecting that we will not see him play this season as I feel that he has been
surpassed on the depth chart. Therefore: 80games in his rookies season, 35 games in his second and potentially nothing played this season. That would mean best case scenerio MP has played in perhaps half of the NHL games during his ELC. That is "In and out of the line-up"
Judging by his draft pedigree PRV should have been a top 6 player. That's our first dissapointment. Now you have settled and have labelled him as a "two way player"
He still does not quallify, not enough offensive production, and not reliable enough as a shutdown player. When things get physical he dissapears!

Old
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

vCash: 50
Quote:
First pro season and he's over a PPG

Yeah....this guy is a bust :s

Old
DrDrai

Right or wrong I don't think any of the NHL guys actually care about playing in the ahl, they are probably using it as conditioning and probably are trying to avoid getting hurt, just my thoughts, I don't think that should be the attitude but I can see it bring that way

Old
11-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Remember when we wanted Todd Nelson to coach the Oilers?
No, I never did.

I don't see it.

Right now he's coaching a losing AHL club with several NHL stars on it.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Well, looks like I should have made that avatar bet. What an embarrassment and casts a dark spectre over the "Big Three's" potential to achieve anything at the NHL level.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
First pro season and he's over a PPG

Yeah....this guy is a bust :s
I know Bartschi's potential; I watched him numerous times against the Oil Kings last year. Anyway... go away... we're frustrated enough as is.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:22 PM
spot

Quote:

Baertshci has looked great! You have yourself a real gem.
He can and maybe as good as Eberle. Luckily for him, he also has a true leader/captain to look up to and take the torch from.
Exiceted to see him progress.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:23 PM
#ualberta

Wow this is embarrassing g I'm not watching the game but seriously 4-0

Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

It's early, but Nelson must be seeing his dream of being a head coach in the NHL going up in smoke.

Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
Right or wrong I don't think any of the NHL guys actually care about playing in the ahl, they are probably using it as conditioning and probably are trying to avoid getting hurt, just my thoughts, I don't think that should be the attitude but I can see it bring that way
I don't see it that way at all. I see skilled, but wimpy players being outworked and that will kill you at any level.

Remember when folks were preaching that eventually the pure SKILL level of this Oilers team will take over? It was a bloody lie.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:24 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Oh there were many posters who believed that.
His size is irrelevant since he doesn't have the first clue about how to use it to his advantage. To be fair I have noticed him hitting a bit tonight.
He's fast. I give him that.
His defensive wizardry is so exaggerated on this site that it approaches Horcoffian levels of urban legend.
MPS will never score twenty goals in the NHL. People underestimate how difficult it is to get twenty goals in the NHL these days.
Unless we want to package up some draft picks to move up in the draft or add onto a trade for a roster player.
Draft picks are never pointless because there are always GMs at various stages of rebuilding their teams.
On the worst team in the NHL by a country mile.
He's coming around with the physical play, he's at least trying. As for his defensive play being exaggerated regardless of how bad the Oilers are you have to admit it's still pretty impressive for a kid in that young to lead his team in that aspect. When I watch him play I see a guy who's committed to defense and gets the puck moving in the right direction when he's on the ice.

All I'm saying is it's way too early to write the guy off and we already have a pile of draft picks (and have used a ton of draft picks in the past couple years). We're getting pretty full of prospects and IMO MPS would have more value in a trade than a 2nd round pick, especially if it's a late one depending on the team.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

It's good to know that our Barons playoff run last season wasn't due to a bright future of prospects, it was a result of a bunch of AHL vet scrubs.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:25 PM
pSlayer*

This is embarrassing.

Closed Thread