HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 06:58 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
I'm pretty sure a natural hatty would be 3 consecutive goals by the same player, icehogs scored two between sheahan's first
Ah, my bad. Misled by the announcers. I missed most of the first period and only checked the boxscore now.

Still a hatty!

Old
11-09-2012, 07:12 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Ah, my bad. Misled by the announcers. I missed most of the first period and only checked the boxscore now.

Still a hatty!
haha actually his second goal was just given to smith, so no hatty.

Edit* looks like Nyquist won't be coming back, Brendan smith scores again 4-2 griffs.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
MBauer

Now Smith gets hammered hard and stays down for a bit, hopefully he is ok. The offender Beach has been kicked from the game and given a major penalty.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:22 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
haha actually his second goal was just given to smith, so no hatty..

Old
11-09-2012, 07:48 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Judging by the radio, the Griffs sound like they're struggling defensively.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:54 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Judging by the radio, the Griffs sound like they're struggling defensively.
Yep, Griffins are usually pretty bad defensively but tonight they're completely awful.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:55 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Any update on Nyquist? Was that a head hit?

Old
11-09-2012, 08:01 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
I'm thinking you see a trade from Holland between prospects maybe. Maybe almqvist for a bigger forward?
Teams don't generally trade big forwards unless they're useless, or they're getting back something elite in return. Almqvist is not elite.

Smith could probably net them a very good bigger forward prospect, but that's not really what the Wings are looking to do.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Off to hospital, but don't know for what yet.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:05 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Probably a head hit, they didn't show any replays but he looked out of it when he got up.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Jon Cusack

Quote:
Probably a head hit, they didn't show any replays but he looked out of it when he got up.
That or his right shoulder I couldnt tell.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:25 PM
MBauer

Almquist now is hit hard and stays down for a while, looks okay though.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:30 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Blackhawks trying to kill our prospects... The HECK?!

Old
11-09-2012, 08:33 PM
MBauer

Mrazek was real good in the second half of the game after a shaky first half.

remains unbeaten at 4-0, he does what McCollum can't which is play good when he needs too.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:35 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Pare EN. Game over 5-3 for GR.

Game tomorrow against Peoria. McCollum probably in net. Hopefully Nyquist is ok. BS hits by Rockford.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Griffins need to stand up to some of that crap a little better. That is what Grant and Evans are around for, they targeted our two best players and a rookie. That should be a death sentence for somebody.

Overall a good game at times. Probably really didn't deserve the victory, but they looked to go in an absolute funk when Smith got rung up. They did enough to hold on. Sheahan was a beast and it looks like Jurco is going to get Gus' spot on the big line while he is out. Will have to see if he runs with it. I don't think we see Gus anytime soon. Unlike NHL games they don't show replays, but it looked to me at speed that he took a high elbow to the side of the head. I would expect both Beach and the guy that hit Nyquist to have to sit. By the way that would make 5 Rockford players suspended. Hope they fine the crap out of them (meaning organization and coaches, how can you allow that many questionable things to happen in a week) that was bush league stuff tonight.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:40 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Was the Nyquist hit dirty?

Old
11-09-2012, 08:43 PM
joe89

Quote:
Mrazek was real good in the second half of the game after a shaky first half.

remains unbeaten at 4-0, he does what McCollum can't which is play good when he needs too.
At least after allowing a bad goal he showed resillience, that's what you wanna see. I've lost count how many times Pearce and McCollum have fallen apart after something similar.

Rockford looked more interesting in running guys than winning the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Was the Nyquist hit dirty?
I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing. Nyquist was in a vulnerable spot. I'm not as positive as others it was a hit to the head, though.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing. Nyquist was in a vulnerable spot. I'm not as positive as others it was a hit to the head, though.
Like I said I need replay, but I didn't like the hit while watching it and thought it was an elbow. The fact they followed it up with what I consider to be two more boarderline hits one of which the refs called was pretty bogus. They were running guys and the fact Smith and Nyquist were targeted was not a mistake. We will have to see, when they archive it at redwingslive I will be able to watch it a little closer. But I think it was dirty, he was at least taking advantage which I don't have a huge problem with. However, if the elbow is up, he better get some games for that.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:04 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Like I said I need replay, but I didn't like the hit while watching it and thought it was an elbow. The fact they followed it up with what I consider to be two more boarderline hits one of which the refs called was pretty bogus. They were running guys and the fact Smith and Nyquist were targeted was not a mistake. We will have to see, when they archive it at redwingslive I will be able to watch it a little closer. But I think it was dirty, he was at least taking advantage which I don't have a huge problem with. However, if the elbow is up, he better get some games for that.
I'm watching it again right now, but I still can't get a hold on it. Not with that angle. It's not an extended elbow but it's a very hard hit and Nyquist just barely sees him coming. He hits the boards hard, it's definitely a possibility his head hit the plexiglass and he got his bell rung that way.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
I thought enforcers were supposed to stop these hits. Don't the griffins have a couple of them?

Old
11-09-2012, 11:55 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Sat 8 rows directly behind where Nyquist was hit. It was not dirty. Elbow was down. Shoulder connected solidly with Nyquist's chin. He was as woozy as you can get and clearly having trouble getting his wits about him (took a long time to get to the bench and go down the tunnel, as oppoed to Smith, who was hit later in the game, and skated right to the bench and was ready to go on the next shift). From the perspective of a fan in the stands, looked like it was clearly a concussion. I did not expect Nyquist to return to the game.

Someone said the Griffs were struggling defensively, judging by the radio, and I'd have to say the radio was accurate. At least for several stretches of the game. Griffs had a hard time clearing the puck on many occassions. Seemed to be more of a strategy thing (read: coaching), as opposed to individual efforts (or lack thereof). Once they got hemmed in, they quickly got lost.

Another poster mentioned that the Griffs enforcers should have stepped up. Both after the hit on Nyquist and definitely after the second hit, on Smith. I agree, and was expecting them to. And was disappointed when they didn't. The Ice Hogs clearly stepped up their physical play when they were down, and the Griffs should have stepped up in return.

I was a bit disappointed in Mrazek early on, after allowing a couple of softies, but was impressed with him after he stuck with it, and played strong through the latter stages of the game. He wasn't rattled, and I liked that. He could have allowed the game to get away from him, but he didn't. I like the makeup of this kid.

Sheahan and Ferraro continue to impress me. I'm starting to really like these two as bottom-6 prospects. Sheahan with his gritty, physical nature, digging pucks and playing a good pursuit game..... and Ferraro with his tenacious attack, coupled with, and enhanced by, his speed. I can see these two being a pair in the future.

Smith looked better tonight than I had seen him in recent online footage. Made some real smart plays to break up plays that would have turned into odd-man rushes. And pinched at the right times. Was a steady #1 guy for the Griffs.

Was glad Paetsch didn't play tonight. That guy has been brutal in the online games I have watched. Wowzers. That said, the Griffs still struggled in their own zone.

Was impressed with Billins. He knows what he's doing with the puck, and offensively. And, frankly, he was no slouch defensively. His stature will be a challenge for him, but he made some smart plays defensively.

The Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar line continued to look sharp, up until Nyquist's injury.

Jurco clearly has the skill and the tools, but he needs to continue his work without the puck and focus on all aspects of the game, not just offense. Liked what I saw in his forechecking tonight though.

Aubry lost his cap in an altercation right in front of me at one point. Wow, he looks like he's 12 years old. But he has the frame. What an interesting project he is. Will be interested in continuing to follow him, but he's still a long way off. Still very young and inexperienced.

Those are my notes off the top of my head. Probably forgetting some stuff, but oh well. Nyquist, Smith, and Tatar are the real deal. And while Andersson may simply be benefitting from playing between the other two forwards, he's looking good as well. Definitely has some offensive chops. Interested in seeing what the Wings do with Billins. Lashoff looked steady. Hoping to see another Griffs game this year. Preferably another $1 beers/dogs night, that was a good time

Old
11-10-2012, 01:09 AM
cjm502
#FireHolland

Do you guys think Billins has solid NHL potential? He is doing awesome for his first few games pro, I am honestly shocked.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
I thought enforcers were supposed to stop these hits. Don't the griffins have a couple of them?
Cannot wait until Nedomlel is on the team.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
Do you guys think Billins has solid NHL potential? He is doing awesome for his first few games pro, I am honestly shocked.
Not sure, but I will say that the NCAA seems to produce a good number of very skilled, undersized defensemen (Genoway, Krug, LaLeggia, yadda). They seem, however, to have a hard time breaking through and sticking in the NHL. I get the feeling that Billins may be another, but I can't fault anything he has done so far in the AHL.

Closed Thread