Official 2012-13 Houston Aeros/Orlando Solar Bears Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
HockeylessInHouston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Has anyone seen how Corbin Baldwin has done? I know he's on just an AHL contract, but 6'5" defensemen with a bit of an edge don't come around that often. Maybe he could grow into another Stoner minus the injury issues.
Seems to like to fight, that's about it.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Medvec is injured too?! So that leaves zero spare defensemen signed in the system (that aren't on NHL one-ways). Right? When Brodin went down it was down to Baldwin and Medvec. Yikes. Caron can play D though. Well, sort of...

Old
11-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Corbin Baldwin is such a bean pole. Kid was just getting tossed around during his fight. Too skinny to hit worth a damn, too. He needs to put on some weight.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Medvec is injured too?! So that leaves zero spare defensemen signed in the system (that aren't on NHL one-ways). Right? When Brodin went down it was down to Baldwin and Medvec. Yikes. Caron can play D though. Well, sort of...
Lorenz and Caron.

From the little I've heard, Scandella's injury is minor and playable. I have no idea what Fredheim's injury is.

Houston still has a healthy Bagnall, Connelly, Kampfer, Genoway, and Cuma.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I'm surprised nobody posted that.

John Curry fined after water bottle spraying of taunting fans

Old
11-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Fel 96
JFC

http://wild.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=84571

Old
11-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
GWT strikes 2:14 seconds into overtime to take a 2-1 victory. C Mat Sisca with the Solar Bears Goal.
http://twitter.com/OSBHockeyGU/statu...62847917912065

Well at least, they got the loser point.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
To be honest, they had it coming. What a bunch of dick-lickers.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:00 PM
SEALVESTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
http://twitter.com/OSBHockeyGU/statu...62847917912065

Well at least, they got the loser point.
You telling me? The Solar Bears game was so poorly officiated last night, one of our goals was waved off for no good reason and that OT goal was clearly kicked in intentionally.

Does anyone know what Medvec's injury is?

Old
11-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Who loses more man-games to injury, 2011-12 Wild or 2012-13 Aeros?

Old
11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALVESTER View Post
You telling me? The Solar Bears game was so poorly officiated last night, one of our goals was waved off for no good reason and that OT goal was clearly kicked in intentionally.

Does anyone know what Medvec's injury is?
I've been casually trying to find out, but haven't been able to find anything. Haven't even seen an estimate for when he'll be back. Looks like his last game was on 11/1 so I assume that's when he got hurt.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
2012-11-08 Derrick Burnett (RW) ADD Signed to SPC
2012-11-08 Hannu Toivonen (G) ADD Signed to SPC
2012-11-08 Nick Niedert (G) DEL Released from SPC
http://www.orlandosolarbearshockey.com/transactions.php

Interesting.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:23 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
To be honest, they had it coming. What a bunch of dick-lickers.
don't let an edmonton mod see you say that!

Old
11-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Tuomaz

Hard last 3 games for Aeros but I believe they will play better the next one.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Hard last 3 games for Aeros but I believe they will play better the next one.
Another easy victory?

Old
11-10-2012, 07:31 AM
HockeylessInHouston

It's disgusting how bad a team the Aeros are. I think they have won maybe twice at home all season. They are quickly becoming the pansies of the AHL.

With all their talent, they should be one of the top teams in the league even with two guys out (which is pretty normal). I'm coming to the conclusion that Torchetti must not be all that hot as a coach. Just look at his career won-lost record. It's not that impressive. Same goes for Rhino and Sebby.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:23 AM
HockeylessInHouston

By the way - a little OT, but what is the funny new line at the top of the circles that the QMJHL is using this season?

Old
11-10-2012, 12:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonAerosFan View Post
It's disgusting how bad a team the Aeros are. I think they have won maybe twice at home all season. They are quickly becoming the pansies of the AHL.

With all their talent, they should be one of the top teams in the league even with two guys out (which is pretty normal). I'm coming to the conclusion that Torchetti must not be all that hot as a coach. Just look at his career won-lost record. It's not that impressive. Same goes for Rhino and Sebby.
The Aeros are second in the south division with the second most goals in the entire league. Only 11 of the skaters on the team spent a significant amount of time playing with each other last season. They're missing their two best players due to injury.

I know a lot of people had higher hopes for the team, but it's only 12 games in and they're above 0.500. It's not like OKC (you know, the other "just give them the Calder Cup" team) is doing any better either.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:10 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
By the way - a little OT, but what is the funny new line at the top of the circles that the QMJHL is using this season?
Are you sure they're using it? I believe it's the Ringette line.

The whichever arena that Halifax-Gatineau game was in last night is also used for playing Ringette. Adding that line has been proposed by the NHL for testing in the AHL. I'm pretty sure the AHL rejected it when they instituted hybrid icing.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Hagged

Quote:
A winning team needs a great first line. Once Granlund gets comfortable with the North American type of game, he'll start playing like a first line center. At the start of the season Granlund hasn't been at his best but when that line gets their game going, the Aeros will be strong.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
A winning team needs a great first line. Once Granlund gets comfortable with the North American type of game, he'll start playing like a first line center. At the start of the season Granlund hasn't been at his best but when that line gets their game going, the Aeros will be strong.
I wouldn't say it's Granlund's fault, he had 12 points in 8 games which is just fine for a first line center. The only reason that line isn't "getting their game going" is because he's hurt and not even playing.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:33 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I wouldn't pin anything on Granlund or the first line. Houston is the second highest scoring team in the entire league and Zucker/Granlund/Coyle make up 3 of the 4 highest scoring forwards on the team. All three of them are plus players (well after last night brought Zucker back to even) as well.

The issue isn't on offense. Houston has allowed the second most goals against in the league (there's a couple teams that have played fewer games that could catch them though). The reasons for those poor defensive numbers could come from a number of sources. The one I feel is most important is the fact that team defense relies a lot upon players being comfortable with each other. "If I pinch now, will my d-partner be in position if I lose the puck?" "Is there going to be a forward who drops back to cover for me?" "Should I let this guy go and my teammate will be ready to pick him up, or is he going for the other guy and I should stick with him?" Until the guys have played together significantly, they're going to make mistakes and when they make mistakes like that, the other team scores.

The other issue that I think plays into it is Hackett hasn't looked comfortable. He's just not playing up to his own level. Sometimes he makes amazing beast saves that shouldn't have ever happened, but he's been allowing quite a few softies as well. Kuemper is 3-1 with 1 shutout in 4 games played. Hackett is 2-4-2 with no shutouts in 9 games played. If Hackett's statistical performance were as good as Kuemper's the team's goal differential would be 13 instead of 4.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Hagged

I'm not putting the blame to the first line for the losses but still they could be doing better. Granlund is just barely top ten in the AHL scoring, and his job is to feed his wingers in which he hasn't been on the top of his game. Coyle fits just barely top 50 (47th) in the scoring and Zucker top 100 (I admit he missed a couple of games), if Granlund's playmaking was as advertised his wingers would be well over PPG players. As I expect to be when they get their mojo going.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
I'm not putting the blame to the first line for the losses but still they could be doing better. Granlund is just barely top ten in the AHL scoring, and his job is to feed his wingers in which he hasn't been on the top of his game. Coyle fits just barely top 50 (47th) in the scoring and Zucker top 100 (I admit he missed a couple of games), if Granlund's playmaking was as advertised his wingers would be well over PPG players. As I expect to be when they get their mojo going.
He is hurt buddy or he would be top 3 at the rate that he was going. Coyle hasn't had many assists but he is scoring. Zucker also has missed a few games do to injury but is at about PPG.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Jbcraig1883

Outside of the Scandella-Brodin pairing, the D has struggled. The breakout has really struggled without that pairing and it has been evident the past few games. There have been a few key turnovers in each game where a D man or a forward has been tired from the being cycled on and has simply not been able to get it out of the zone.

As for Granlund, other than his first weekend and maybe a shift or two a week later, he was awesome on both ends of the ice.

As others have said, Hackett has looked shaky/unconfident. He has not come up with any huge saves. If you have a defense that can't get the puck out of the zone, is not use to their D partner, and the goalie playing most of the games is not playing well, it makes sense that they will have some difficulty keeping the puck out of their net.

Then you have to consider how many 20 year olds they have in their first NA season in the pros. Granlund (out), Zucker, Coyle, Bulmer, Phillips, Larsson, Brodin. And then Baldwin, the recent callup is also a rookie. For sophomores, you have Foucault, Fontaine, Genoway, and Kuemper. That IS an inexperienced team. Even if there is a ton of skill, they have to learn systems, the AHL schedule, and how each other plays the game. It's not like Rau, McMillan, McIntyre are super experienced either. The only person who has been around a long time is Bagnall and he is a 5-6 d-man on this team.

In short, after all that babble, I think they are fine. I have been frustrated the past two games not due to them losing but due to the work ethic. However, when considering they have lost their two best players and are extremely inexperienced, I know it will take at least a half a season to see what they are as a "Team".

Closed Thread