HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons @ Abbotsford Heat, Friday 11/9 8PM MDT "Adding Fuel To The Fire"

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 12:03 AM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I honestly cannot even fathom how this team can suck so bad. Somebody needs to start asking the tough questions. I don't give a **** if you were drafted 1st overall or 150th. If you're not putting in 100% effort, get the **** out.
I get the frustration, but the team is not 0-11.

They are .500 and a bubble playoff team while playing terrible a bunch of times.

This isn't the time for everyone to lose our marbles IMO.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:07 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
There are players too good for the NHL, but there aren't very many up and coming elite NHLers that have played 2+ seasons in the NHL coming back down to the AHL.

Guys like Bartschi are still more hungry because he has barely had a taste of the NHL.

Either way, it seems pretty clear this is the case. It's not the best attitude, but if i was an Oiler for 2 years, an NHL all-star, etc., I may not be all that invested in the Oklahoma City Barons either.
Sorry but that's a piss poor attitude to have and I thought that this group was above that.
Yeah, it's a lesser league and yeah, they are playing in front of very sparse crowds for the most part so it's hard to get up for these games but there is an attitude problem (sense of entitlement) if they are just cruising through this league because they think they are above it or are worried about getting injured because they might lose out on precious NHL time if/when it comes back.
What they are doing is wasting time taking jobs from players who are hungry to play at the AHL level and would be more than glad to get that opportunity.
It's still early in the season but the excuses are starting to run dry. It seems that they might very well be in OKC the entire season and perhaps longer so it's time to take the league seriously otherwise, they are just wasting important development time. BTW, i'm not including Hall in this since he has a legit excuse coming off of an injury.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:10 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 2292
Nelson must be a bit frustrated. He had a chance to show he could coach these guys and its looking ugly.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
I get the frustration, but the team is not 0-11.

They are .500 and a bubble playoff team while playing terrible a bunch of times.

This isn't the time for everyone to lose our marbles IMO.
For me personally, I'm not upset with the fact that they are losing games. I'm disappointed with the effort and compete level. Sometimes the puck won't go in and the bounces won't go your way, that's out of your control at times. However, one thing that you can control is your compete level.

I want to see a team that doesn't seem content to get the game over. I want to see a team that even if they fall short, they still give a valiant effort and were willing to pay the price. This seems like a team that feels as if they are the favorites to win every game, and go into it thinking they can come away with a win giving minimal effort.

Tonight was flat out embarrassing, I feel truly bad for the large contingency of Oiler fans who made the 13 hour trip to see that. How many players seemed to show any emotion about the fact they were getting ran all over? Teubert comes to mind, outside of him can you name me three others?

Old
11-10-2012, 12:15 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
Seems like a character issue to me if that's the case. I'm glad that some Oiler fans are looking at it the way it should, that if they belong here or not, they should still play emotionally invested. I'd hope these guys would have more pride than that, even if the only reason they are here is because of the lockout.
I think it's a bit naive to think it's a character issue just because these kids aren't willing to give a 110% for a team they do not play for.

Do most Oiler fans really think guys like Malkin, Ovechkin, Nash, Seguin, Thornton, Couture, Giroux, Kane, etc. are overseas blocking shots, running guys through the glass, and killing themselves for their lockout teams?

I don't think so. I am sure they are playing hard, but it's just not the same as playing for their own team.

Is that an excuse for the bad play of late? No, they have been brutal. But it is definitely a factor.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:18 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Sorry but that's a piss poor attitude to have and I thought that this group was above that.
Yeah, it's a lesser league and yeah, they are playing in front of very sparse crowds for the most part so it's hard to get up for these games but there is an attitude problem (sense of entitlement) if they are just cruising through this league because they think they are above it or are worried about getting injured because they might lose out on precious NHL time if/when it comes back.
What they are doing is wasting time taking jobs from players who are hungry to play at the AHL level and would be more than glad to get that opportunity.
It's still early in the season but the excuses are starting to run dry. It seems that they might very well be in OKC the entire season and perhaps longer so it's time to take the league seriously otherwise, they are just wasting important development time. BTW, i'm not including Hall in this since he has a legit excuse coming off of an injury.
While a lot of this is true, it's not just the kids that are playing poor right now. It's nearly the entire team.

It sucks that they are taking jobs from people that could be playing in OKC, but it's not like there are are even a handful of players playing better than them right now.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:21 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
While a lot of this is true, it's not just the kids that are playing poor right now. It's nearly the entire team.

It sucks that they are taking jobs from people that could be playing in OKC, but it's not like there are are even a handful of players playing better than them right now.
They are supposed to be the leaders of the team even at such a young age, the team is merely following their lead. As they go, the team goes and that's a part of the problem because they are too young to be taking on such a big burden even in a league like the AHL. The same problem exists with the big club.
I think the team misses Green, he should take some of the leadership burden off of them when he returns.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Ryan Pinder ‏@RyanPinder
Justin Schultz was booed with each touch of the puck in the 3rd period tonight; not disgruntled #Oilers fans, but VAN fans who wanted him!
Damn, it's too bad that he didn't find a way to score a couple of points.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
I think it's a bit naive to think it's a character issue just because these kids aren't willing to give a 110% for a team they do not play for.

Do most Oiler fans really think guys like Malkin, Ovechkin, Nash, Seguin, Thornton, Couture, Giroux, Kane, etc. are overseas blocking shots, running guys through the glass, and killing themselves for their lockout teams?

I don't think so. I am sure they are playing hard, but it's just not the same as playing for their own team.

Is that an excuse for the bad play of late? No, they have been brutal. But it is definitely a factor.
The NHL is not playing, and might not play at all this season, so if they aren't playing for this team, then why are they even playing? If they put on that jersey, then that means they are playing for this team regardless of how long it lasts.

Don't think I'm just referring to the big 3 either, this is a problem of this whole squad, not just the NHL'ers.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
The NHL is not playing, and might not play at all this season, so if they aren't playing for this team, then why are they even playing? If they put on that jersey, then that means they are playing for this team regardless of how long it lasts.

Don't think I'm just referring to the big 3 either, this is a problem of this whole squad, not just the NHL'ers.
Exactly. If Eberle, RNH and Hall are just going to phone it in on the Barons then I would have preferred to see them play overseas instead.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:27 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Is it time to get drastic yet?

Lander-Hall-Eberle
Hartikainen-Nugent Hopkins-Arcobello
Hamilton-Martindale-Pitlick
Byers-Vande Velde-House

Fedun-Schultz
Marincin-Teubert
Paajarvi-Plante

Old
11-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Lander doesn't belong anywhere near a scoring line.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:32 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Exactly. If Eberle, RNH and Hall are just going to phone it in on the Barons then I would have preferred to see them play overseas instead.
Maybe it wasn't even their choice to play in the AHL?

For all we know they wanted to enjoy playing in Switzerland or Germany because they wouldn't be crucified for not giving 110% for a team other than the Oilers.

My hope is that if the season is lost that they get **** going and commit to the Barons all year, but I have seen all of them in the first 11 games and it doesn't look like they are ever going to kill themselves for OKC.

I'd be alright with sitting one, two, or all of them if we know they aren't displaying the right work ethic, but that would be a scary team to watch without them that is for sure.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Maybe it wasn't even their choice to play in the AHL?

For all we know they wanted to enjoy playing in Switzerland or Germany because they wouldn't be crucified for not giving 110% for a team other than the Oilers.

My hope is that if the season is lost that they get **** going and commit to the Barons all year, but I have seen all of them in the first 11 games and it doesn't look like they are ever going to kill themselves for OKC.

I'd be alright with sitting one, two, or all of them if we know they aren't displaying the right work ethic, but that would be a scary team to watch without them that is for sure.
Why? Did AHL lifers in Ryan Keller and Bryan Helmer make that much of a difference last year?

Old
11-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Hello,

I just want to thank each and every Oiler fan that has made the trip to the Fraser Valley this weekend for tonight's and tomorrow's games between the Heat and Barons. Seeing the arena full is fantastic, even if the fans are there for the opposition. Thank you.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I know that it's not in your best interests, but could you slide a memo under the OKC Barons lockerroom door telling Eberle, Nuge and Hall that we expect them to give a damn? K thx.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:43 AM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it's a garbage attitude to have, but I'm sure guys like Hall, etc are not going full out. I listened to an interview the other day of some scouts and they said there are a lot of NHL guys in the AHL that are just trying not to get hurt, etc.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:45 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Why? Did AHL lifers in Ryan Keller and Bryan Helmer make that much of a difference last year?
It appears they did make a difference, but not the entire difference IMO.

Add in the factor that Plante and Cornet both played very well last year and have fallen off the face of the earth, which also hurts quite a bit.

While a guy like Omark was hit or miss in the NHL, he also provided offense rather consistently when he was in OKC as well.

All of that combined with what seems like Danis playing worse than last year as well, it seems everything that can go wrong has so far this year.

Green out is the icing on the cake.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
I think it's a garbage attitude to have, but I'm sure guys like Hall, etc are not going full out. I listened to an interview the other day of some scouts and they said there are a lot of NHL guys in the AHL that are just trying not to get hurt, etc.
Yeah. Maybe we'll see a different Barons team once the NHL CBA talks (inevitably) break down.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

How's Green's situation looking?

Old
11-10-2012, 12:50 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Hello,

I just want to thank each and every Oiler fan that has made the trip to the Fraser Valley this weekend for tonight's and tomorrow's games between the Heat and Barons. Seeing the arena full is fantastic, even if the fans are there for the opposition. Thank you.
I didnt make the trip but thanks for being a gracious host, it's nice having an AHL in driving distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Is it time to get drastic yet?

Lander-Hall-Eberle
Hartikainen-Nugent Hopkins-Arcobello
Hamilton-Martindale-Pitlick
Byers-Vande Velde-House

Fedun-Schultz
Marincin-Teubert
Paajarvi-Plante

Martindale didn't make the trip, maybe back in OKC though.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:55 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

I ended up having my tickets fall through, so I scooped up the last 2 lower bowl tickets to the Giants game... WTF happened? 4-0?

Old
11-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I didnt make the trip but thanks for being a gracious host, it's nice having an AHL in driving distance.
I actually moved to Alberta this summer so I am not a host but as a former season ticket holder I love seeing the place sold out. I really would love to see the AHL get more Western teams, because it would only help the sustainability of the Abbotsford team. I would like to see the Alaska Aces and Utah Grizzlies move from the ECHL to the AHL to help create an actual northwest division in which the Canucks, Flames and Oilers could all have their affiliates out west and rivals with one another.

I would also like to comment on the effort levels of RNH, Eberle and Hall. I do not think it is something to worry about. They are all very clearly NHL players who are not going to develop further by playing lesser competition in the AHL, they are there for no other reason than to stay in shape and keep playing because that is where they will develop. Where as a 1st year pro like Schultz has alot to prove so he is going to play alot harder. I compare it to the Euro leagues right now, as it is the same reason you see someone like Mikael Backlund outscoring Anze Kopitar.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:14 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I agree, no harm leaving him down in the AHL.

Cleary/Chimera type do however have a different element to their game.
They can forecheck, take the body, become pests, and penalty kill, go to the front of the net/hard areas.
MP has alot of work to do.
I do get you main point though, might as well be patient.
I don't know about Chimera, but Cleary, if I recall correctly, was drafted as a skilled offensive prospect who was not overly physical early in his career. I think if Paajarvi realizes he has to develop new characteristics, he could develop into a very good checker who could chip in 30-40 points year in year out.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I don't know about Chimera, but Cleary, if I recall correctly, was drafted as a skilled offensive prospect who was not overly physical early in his career. I think if Paajarvi realizes he has to develop new characteristics, he could develop into a very good checker who could chip in 30-40 points year in year out.
He's playing grittier and if he can play that way consistently with his speed, he will be a valuable PKer/defensive forward.