Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Abbotsford Heat Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 07:40 PM
ALI

vCash: 500
ya i really want the flames to cut Larsen, Patterson, Cameron, Piskula so we can sign Sylvester and taylor

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Ynnek

vCash: 50
Battle of Alberta AHL style tonight!!! Can't wait to see how our prospects stack up against the oilers.

Someone should make a GDT for this one.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
XeO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
Battle of Alberta AHL style tonight!!! Can't wait to see how our prospects stack up against the oilers.

I made one on calgarypuck if you are interested

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=121912

XeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:50 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post

Someone seriously should start making GDT's for the Heat. I'd offer, but not sure how much time I have because of school.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Someone seriously should start making GDT's for the Heat. I'd offer, but not sure how much time I have because of school.
Feel free to copy and paste mine from HF Oil and make whatever changes are necessary.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1281055

11-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Noori

vCash: 100
This is pretty much why you can't give the reigns to your entire team to a bunch of kids. I don't how much longer Iginla can keep up his level of play, but after him we'll atleast have Glencross, Tanguay, and Cammalleri to carry the offensive load, sheltering Baertschi, Cervenka and whoever else emerges. Bouwmeester and Giordano can shelter the young defensmen while they develop. Who's going to shelter Klefbom and Schultz?

I think the Oilers will have a tougher time climbing out of the basement than what the fans and organization are expecting. They'll get there, but there is still quite a bit more growing pains to come.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Feel free to copy and paste mine from HF Oil and make whatever changes are necessary.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1281055
We'll steal yours tomorrow when the game is televised .

Old
11-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Who doesnt have prospects?

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Who doesnt have prospects?
saying that after a win doesn't make the fact the Flames cupboards are only half full any less true. Look at tonight's game for instance goals by Walter and Kolanos who are 2 career AHLers, another by Street who isn't exactly a prospect anymore and is on his way to being a very good career AHLer and Sylvester who if signed by the Flames might be a prospect, but he is only signed to an AHL level contract.

Yes Baertschi and Horak have been good for the team and Brodie has been good offensively, but the Heat are carried just as much by the veterans on 1 way contracts. Steve McCarthy has arguably been the best player this year for Abbotsford, Walter has been just as good as Sven and Roman, Taylor & Brust have been very good so far as well and have limited Irving to just a couple games. Tonight the Heat dressed 8 players on AHL contracts and then 4 others that already are or will be career minor league players that have NHL deals in case emergency call-ups are needed.

My point is the Heat are not a team of NHL prospects. They are a very much a veteran AHL team that has a handful of prospects mixed in. In comparison the Barons are a team of prospects that have a handful of veterans mixed in.

I love my Heat and how they are playing this year, but their play is carried more often than not by players who are or will be career AHLers

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:35 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
saying that after a win doesn't make the fact the Flames cupboards are only half full any less true. Look at tonight's game for instance goals by Walter and Kolanos who are 2 career AHLers, another by Street who isn't exactly a prospect anymore and is on his way to being a very good career AHLer and Sylvester who if signed by the Flames might be a prospect, but he is only signed to an AHL level contract.

Yes Baertschi and Horak have been good for the team and Brodie has been good offensively, but the Heat are carried just as much by the veterans on 1 way contracts. Steve McCarthy has arguably been the best player this year for Abbotsford, Walter has been just as good as Sven and Roman, Taylor & Brust have been very good so far as well and have limited Irving to just a couple games. Tonight the Heat dressed 8 players on AHL contracts and then 4 others that already are or will be career minor league players that have NHL deals in case emergency call-ups are needed.

My point is the Heat are not a team of NHL prospects. They are a very much a veteran AHL team that has a handful of prospects mixed in. In comparison the Barons are a team of prospects that have a handful of veterans mixed in.

I love my Heat and how they are playing this year, but their play is carried more often than not by players who are or will be career AHLers

I do agree with your assessment as far as the Heat being mostly an AHL squad but I have a few Points of contention:

I have watched roughly 6 or 7 heat games this season. The heats best players have been the NHL prospects. T.J. Brodie has been by far their best player (Its not even close IMO). Followed by guys like Horak and Baertschi. Not to mention, Reinhart has been a big reason why the PK has been so good. The prospects are a big reason why this team is where its at.

Also the Barons are not a team sprinkled with prospects. They are a team sprinkled with NHLers. There is a huge difference between Sven Baertschi and Roman Horak, and players like Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle who have 120+ and 140+ NHL games a piece.

superhakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
I do agree with your assessment as far as the Heat being mostly an AHL squad but I have a few Points of contention:

I have watched roughly 6 or 7 heat games this season. The heats best players have been the NHL prospects. T.J. Brodie has been by far their best player (Its not even close IMO). Followed by guys like Horak and Baertschi. Not to mention, Reinhart has been a big reason why the PK has been so good. The prospects are a big reason why this team is where its at.

Also the Barons are not a team sprinkled with prospects. They are a team sprinkled with NHLers. There is a huge difference between Sven Baertschi and Roman Horak, and players like Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle who have 120+ and 140+ NHL games a piece.
Brodie is not even close to being the best Heat player. Offensively he is one of the best, but his defensive game even at the AHL level is at best average, he is at the stage he should be much better defensively than he is at this level. McCarthy has been by far the teams best defensive player and has produced as much offensively as Brodie. The amount Brodie is over hyped is scary, he is going to disappoint a great deal of people if they can't see the flaws in his defensive game.

And yeah Hall and Eberle are NHLers, but they are still young players who are still learning. The fact they have little to no veteran leadership on the Barons will hurt them. They are going from being very good NHLers who are only looked upon for their play on the ice, now they are looked upon as being leaders and veterans, it is a completely different role and one that I don't think helps them. It should also be pointed out that Eberle, Hall and RNH are in the AHL to get playing time and stay in shape, playing lesser competition will not do much in terms of developing their game. Where as Baertschi, Horak and even the Baron's Schultz have something to prove. It's very similar to the situation in Europe where we see Backlund outscoring Kopitar.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Congrats on the win tonight, the Barons have been out of sorts this season and really have only played one really good game this year IMO. They have played their two worst games of the year tonight and last Sunday. Hopefully it'll be a more entertaining affair tomorrow although it was probably quite entertaining from your end

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Brodie is not even close to being the best Heat player. Offensively he is one of the best, but his defensive game even at the AHL level is at best average, he is at the stage he should be much better defensively than he is at this level. McCarthy has been by far the teams best defensive player and has produced as much offensively as Brodie. The amount Brodie is over hyped is scary, he is going to disappoint a great deal of people if they can't see the flaws in his defensive game.

And yeah Hall and Eberle are NHLers, but they are still young players who are still learning. The fact they have little to no veteran leadership on the Barons will hurt them. They are going from being very good NHLers who are only looked upon for their play on the ice, now they are looked upon as being leaders and veterans, it is a completely different role and one that I don't think helps them. It should also be pointed out that Eberle, Hall and RNH are in the AHL to get playing time and stay in shape, playing lesser competition will not do much in terms of developing their game. Where as Baertschi, Horak and even the Baron's Schultz have something to prove. It's very similar to the situation in Europe where we see Backlund outscoring Kopitar.
I agree but it's still frustrating as hell to watch as an Oilers fan. We know that the kids are way better than what they are showing. Also of note at least for Hall, is that this was Hall's 3rd game of the year without training camp, preseason, etc. as he was returning from shoulder surgery. Baertschi is definitely showing that he's worthy of the hype though, kid will be a player, no doubt in my mind.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
We'll steal yours tomorrow when the game is televised .
Sounds good, I'm not updating it though, I'm not wasting my effort after seeing the Barons effort the last 2 games.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
I agree but it's still frustrating as hell to watch as an Oilers fan. We know that the kids are way better than what they are showing. Also of note at least for Hall, is that this was Hall's 3rd game of the year without training camp, preseason, etc. as he was returning from shoulder surgery. Baertschi is definitely showing that he's worthy of the hype though, kid will be a player, no doubt in my mind.
Yeah Hall has a ways to go before he is completely game ready, so I am not sure effort is part of his problem as he has always been one to play all out all the time. I do question why he was put into game action so quickly though, you would think a week or so of practices would have been good for him. I think tonight would have been the best night for him to debut and just have him practice and getting into shape until now.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Yeah Hall has a ways to go before he is completely game ready, so I am not sure effort is part of his problem as he has always been one to play all out all the time. I do question why he was put into game action so quickly though, you would think a week or so of practices would have been good for him. I think tonight would have been the best night for him to debut and just have him practice and getting into shape until now.
He did practice with the team for a week or two before making his debut actually.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:21 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:

You are greatly overstating Brodie's flaws defensively. The only criticism I have of Brodies D game is that sometimes he is too creative when he tries to get the puck out of his own end.

Brodie excels at what a defenseman is supposed to do, get the puck out of his end. No other defenseman can handle/advance the puck like Brodie can on the heats roster. His outlet passes are crisp and on the money, and he plays more physical than you'd expect. You are greatly overstating his defensive flaws, the only ones I have seen are from him trying to be too fancy with the puck.

Btw, Saying these NHLers are bored and essentially not trying is all conjecture and assumptions and really discredits them as professionals.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
You are greatly overstating Brodie's flaws defensively. The only criticism I have of Brodies D game is that sometimes he is too creative when he tries to get the puck out of his own end.

Brodie excels at what a defenseman is supposed to do, get the puck out of his end. No other defenseman can handle/advance the puck like Brodie can on the heats roster. His outlet passes are crisp and on the money, and he plays more physical than you'd expect. You are greatly overstating his defensive flaws, the only ones I have seen are from him trying to be too fancy with the puck.

Btw, Saying these NHLers are bored and essentially not trying is all conjecture and assumptions and really discredits them as professionals.
No professional athlete thrives against lesser competition. Competitive nature benefits from having to work harder to succeed. That is nothing against them as professionals, it's just how people are. It would be like asking someone from Goldman Sachs to work as a night auditor in a hotel, he won't be up to his previous levels.

When it comes to Brodie I am not overstating anything, he is average defensively, he was below average in the past though. Being too creative is just a fancy way of saying he makes poor choices with the puck. He also is not as strong in puck battles as needed. He has been much better the last few games but he was BAD the first few games, so much so even Heat fan boy Ryan Pinder called him out for being bad.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
He did practice with the team for a week or two before making his debut actually.
it really felt like less time than that from the time I heard he was cleared to when he made his debut. But with the Heat only playing weekends the weekdays blur together for me.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Noori

Brodie's defensive play is pretty solid. Extremely solid positional play, not physical but not timid either. He can skate it out, pass it out no problem.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:56 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Brodie's defensive play is pretty solid. Extremely solid positional play, not physical but not timid either. He can skate it out, pass it out no problem.
He dominates games at the AHL level. I really dont see what AH is seeing.

If you want to use that stupid "playing down to the competition/bored" excuse than use it for Brodie. He is being reckless with the puck because he doesn't give a ****.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
He dominates games at the AHL level. I really dont see what AH is seeing.

If you want to use that stupid "playing down to the competition/bored" excuse than use it for Brodie. He is being reckless with the puck because he doesn't give a ****.
Guys like RNH, Hall and Eberle are very good NHL players, whether you like it or not Brodie is still a borderline NHLer with a whole lot that needs to be proven. Maybe it's because I am a Heat fan first and then a Flames fan through that association, but I just don't see the hype behind Brodie, but what would I know I was only a Heat season ticket holder every year of their existence until I moved this summer.

Brodie is a product of hype caused by the lack of prospects the Flames had in their system when he came up. He is a decent defenseman who in a few years might have top 4 upside, but he has major flaws in his game that for some reason Flames fans have an inability to see.

Brodie is much like Backlund was, the flaws were ignored by most Flames fans for his first couple years because all they saw was potential for the first time in years.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

I didn't key in on Brodie, IMO he looked good but not great out there tonight from what I recall. How is his speed? I didn't really notice him winding up and taking off.

Old
11-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
I didn't key in on Brodie, IMO he looked good but not great out there tonight from what I recall. How is his speed? I didn't really notice him winding up and taking off.
Skating IMO is his greatest asset

Old
11-10-2012, 06:51 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

I definitely agree with superhaken on this one, and disagree yet again with AH.

I simply fail to see these "deficiency's" that you keep referring too. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I am by no means trying to discredit that. With that said, I thought he once again controlled the pace of the game better than any heat player on the ice tonight. I noticed that Brodie was doing a great job against Taylor Hall specifically as on more than a few occasions he was able to keep up with the speedster and positionally angle him to the outside.

His work on the PP was absolutely awesome as well. His puck distribution and decision making were top notch and directly resulted in two goals. His chemistry with Sven on the half wall during the powerplay is a thing of beauty. Those two are without a doubt the driving force behind the success of the Heats PP unit.

Yes, at times he does get caught out of position but as I mentioned a week or so ago that is still to be expected. That is not a shortcoming that is rare or of concern for a defender of his age or skillset. Similarly we hear the same critics of highly regarded players such as Jake Gardiner, Justin Schultz, Sami Vatanen and Cam Fowler (just to name a few..).
As you mentioned yourself, Brodie has continued to improve over the past handful of games which is encouraging in itself.

You may overstate his shortcomings and we may overlook them, but the one thing we can both agree upon is that there is room for a great deal of improvement. That can only mean good things for both the Abbotsford Heat, and Calgary Flames moving forward.

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote