HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Slovan Bratislava 2012/13 season talk

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 06:23 AM
kajoo

vCash: 500
I rather want to see increased income to be re-invested into the squad and those students you've mentioned hardly invest anything. Not saying its gonna happen with Mr. Siroky, but the chance it ever happens is definitely higher than with ticket scalpers.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Guys, one thing I'm really happy are youngsters, who are developing in Slovan. Today the MVP of the game vs. Sibir was IMO Martin Štajnoch. Man, that guy has all the tools to become Sekera version 2.0, but still he need to improve his defensive in front of the net. Typical example was the first goal of Glazachev. Maybe two years of training under the supervision of Lindy Ruff would make it . Anyway great performance by Štajnoch and the promise for the future .

Old
11-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post
Guys, one thing I'm really happy are youngsters, who are developing in Slovan. Today the MVP of the game vs. Sibir was IMO Martin Štajnoch. Man, that guy has all the tools to become Sekera version 2.0, but still he need to improve his defensive in front of the net. Typical example was the first goal of Glazachev. Maybe two years of training under the supervision of Lindy Ruff would make it . Anyway great performance by Štajnoch and the promise for the future .
It's funny, as when you see Stajnoch without his hockey equipment on, the guy is HUGE. Muscles coming from everywhere. Sometimes he just doesnt know when to use his power.

The guy that has impressed me the most though is Andrej Stastny. He has been simply incredible for Slovan.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:43 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanik View Post
It's funny, as when you see Stajnoch without his hockey equipment on, the guy is HUGE. Muscles coming from everywhere. Sometimes he just doesnt know when to use his power.

The guy that has impressed me the most though is Andrej Stastny. He has been simply incredible for Slovan.
hm, almost everybody is impressed with Andrej Stastny. But it seems, that Rostislav Čada not so much. in last game he was on the ice for 6 minutes. and his average ice time is now 10:47 ...

Old
11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanik View Post

I agree. Šťastnę is just incredible. He plays such a canadian style of hockey in the KHL and actually it works for him. He plays with a lot of grit. Here's the perfect example of his great two way play. It starts at 5:25. IMO that's the play of the season created by a player of Slovan till now:

The next great youngster is Jaroslav Janus. He's very important for Slovan.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Tatanik

And who can't be impressed with Dano playing in the KHL at age 17...

I was hoping to see a bit more of Andrej Kudrna and Tomas Mikus this year. Mikus scored an incredible goal against SKA, but he's seemed to have fallen off a bit.

Not a youngster, but even Datelinka has impressed me on the blueline.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:00 PM
kajoo

agreed, Slovan kids (namely Stastny and Janus) are revelation of the season for Slovan. Round of applause for them, keep it up lads

Old
11-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Janus is certainly turning some heads, I can see why Tampa Bay was not happy with him leaving and are leaving the door open that he can come back whenever he wants to their organization...could be the next NT starter for Slovakia very soon, competing with Halak if he keeps this up.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:50 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Janus is certainly turning some heads, I can see why Tampa Bay was not happy with him leaving and are leaving the door open that he can come back whenever he wants to their organization...could be the next NT starter for Slovakia very soon, competing with Halak if he keeps this up.
Actually IŽd think that Tampa would be quiet happy with him getting a starting job in the KHL as there was no room for him in their AHL affiliate and IŽd think having a prospect in the KHL would beat having a prospect in the ECHL.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:53 AM
kajoo

with Stana still having good 4-5 years in him, Slovakia can be finally stacked at goal. Halak, Stana, Janus, in that order.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Actually IŽd think that Tampa would be quiet happy with him getting a starting job in the KHL as there was no room for him in their AHL affiliate and IŽd think having a prospect in the KHL would beat having a prospect in the ECHL.
True, perhaps, I am not sure. For a team that is very thin in goal, Tampa will be fine in a few years, I can see Tokarski and Janus being solid starters, Lindback still pretty young and Helenius still has an decent enough chance as an NHLer.

But I agree, I think this experience is great for Janus, and he certainly has been good.

Quite a few young Slovaks seem to benefitting from Slovan moving to KHL, with the aforementioned Janus, Stastny, Dano all playing really well, along with Hudacek as well, a quite a few youngsters getting the chance to step up to KHL, which is obviously a much higher standard than the Slovakian league. I gotta think that this team will be great for Slovakian development from this and from probably (I'm guessing here) increased exposure/publicity/money for hockey in general (although I know from my visit that hockey is much loved already in Slovakia )

Old
11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Actually Janus played his first two games for Slovakia at the Deutschland Cup this weekend. Was awarded as the MVP of the game against Canada and played a great game even against Germany. Head coach Vůjtek was pleased by his performance.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Tatanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
with Stana still having good 4-5 years in him, Slovakia can be finally stacked at goal. Halak, Stana, Janus, in that order.
Stana's always disappointed me in a NT jersey. He always looks really burnt out towards the end of the year.

Of course, if he can come back from his injury and play well for Donbass, Laco should get a look in to the NT for the WC after his performances last year. Hudacek is having a really damn good year with Frolunda as well.

It certainly looks to be our best position (at least for the WC, not OG).

Old
11-15-2012, 02:42 AM
alko

Its pretty amazing, how many goalie options has Vujtek. When you remember, before the year 2000 after every big Tournament (WCH, Olympics), was every-time this position mentioned as the weakest. Forwards were really good, defense ok, but goalies bad.

And now we have in net -
Halak
Budaj
Hamerlik
Janus
Hudacek
Laco
Lasak
Stana

and in the background are
Matus Kostur - Top goalie in CZ Extraliga
Vladimir Kovac - Top goalie in VHL (second russian league)

Old
11-27-2012, 07:08 AM
kajoo

Slovan x Atlant 3:2
KukumbergŽs game winner

Old
11-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Another win for Slovan today 2-1 over Sibir. Wow, Slovan is now a comfortable 10pts in the playoffs up in 5th place in the West. Crazy. I've only caught like 5-8 games this year due to the hard time the games are played for me (during the day while I "should" be in school), but they are playing great for a first year franchise (in KHL, I know Slovan has a long and storied history in Slovak and Czechoslovak leagues)

Old
12-01-2012, 03:41 AM
kajoo

true

cool you can watch some Slovan games. Nice avatar btw, I should finally take one.

Last edited by kajoo: 12-01-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old
12-01-2012, 03:42 AM
kajoo

cant decide between

Stajnoch, Janus, Dano on Haloween party

or Lubo

Last edited by kajoo: 12-01-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old
12-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Haha, nice pics, I like it. I was actually going to use the Visnovsky one (or something similiar) but I wanted a game jersey pic . Visnovsky is one of my favourite players of all time (along with Palffy (my favourite player of all-time), Gaborik, Chara, Demitra, Bondra it's why I am a Slovak and Slovan fan )

What is so impressive about Slovan is the progress of the youngsters. Hudacek, Stastny and Dano is particular have impressed me. Not the top players on the team obviously, but contributing very effectively for young guys, nice to finally see some young talent coming through the Slovak system, it was a rough period for high end offensive talent for a while, which is traditionally had been a strength. Solid young players. Obviously Janus has been unreal as well.

I was looking through some rosters as well, it's impressive how much Slovan is relying on Slovaks and being so successful. Not that many others on the team, when compared to say Lev, which has nearly as many Slovaks as Czech players among a bunch of other "import" players, yet has not had Slovan's success. That truly is special to see. Imagine if Zaborsky (I know not very popular among Slovak fans right now ), Hossa, Surovy, Chara and all the others had signed back home in Slovan as well

Slovak hockey really seems to be rebounding, IMO, and Slovan is the proof, what they are doing without many of the Slovak stars.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:30 PM
wings5

Quote:
Haha, nice pics, I like it. I was actually going to use the Visnovsky one (or something similiar) but I wanted a game jersey pic . Visnovsky is one of my favourite players of all time (along with Palffy (my favourite player of all-time), Gaborik, Chara, Demitra, Bondra it's why I am a Slovak and Slovan fan )

What is so impressive about Slovan is the progress of the youngsters. Hudacek, Stastny and Dano is particular have impressed me. Not the top players on the team obviously, but contributing very effectively for young guys, nice to finally see some young talent coming through the Slovak system, it was a rough period for high end offensive talent for a while, which is traditionally had been a strength. Solid young players. Obviously Janus has been unreal as well.

I was looking through some rosters as well, it's impressive how much Slovan is relying on Slovaks and being so successful. Not that many others on the team, when compared to say Lev, which has nearly as many Slovaks as Czech players among a bunch of other "import" players, yet has not had Slovan's success. That truly is special to see. Imagine if Zaborsky (I know not very popular among Slovak fans right now ), Hossa, Surovy, Chara and all the others had signed back home in Slovan as well

Slovak hockey really seems to be rebounding, IMO, and Slovan is the proof, what they are doing without many of the Slovak stars.
I wouldn't say the success of one team can make a hockey program rebound, it starts at the youth level. The more skilled the youth is the better it is for the hockey system and there is a better chance they can develop into professional players. But the success of this team could raise interest and bring about more youth involvement in the sport and enthusiasm.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I wouldn't say the success of one team can make a hockey program rebound, it starts at the youth level. The more skilled the youth is the better it is for the hockey system and there is a better chance they can develop into professional players. But the success of this team could raise interest and bring about more youth involvement in the sport and enthusiasm.
Have you been to Slovakia? Your flag says Canada. Not saying anything negative, just saying hockey is pretty huge there. I was over there just after the WC in 2011, and the interest was really high. Hockey stuff everywhere, like you would expect in Canada. Now the WC obviously impacted that, but popularity is not the problem over there, IMO.

It was always facilities and money. There was just not proper development happening for much of the 90's, and as a result there is a huge dearth of top end talent in Slovakia right now from players aged 22-30 for that reason. Those are the players whose formative years were in the post-Soviet/Czechoslovakia era, where the Slovaks had a real lack of organization, money, facilities, everything.

All I am saying, is that it really seems like the Slovak program is starting to round the corner. The young talent is just beginning to start to rebound as can be seen by some of these youngsters breaking into the program in Slovakia, such as Janus, Hudacek, Dano, Stastny among other players like Jurco and Tatar. The youth program seems to slowly be recovering, and we are starting to see the results in Slovan, is all I am saying. And with the way Slovan is building their team using and developing youngsters, it will be a real boost for Slovak hockey, IMO.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:44 AM
wings5

Quote:
Have you been to Slovakia? Your flag says Canada. Not saying anything negative, just saying hockey is pretty huge there. I was over there just after the WC in 2011, and the interest was really high. Hockey stuff everywhere, like you would expect in Canada. Now the WC obviously impacted that, but popularity is not the problem over there, IMO.

It was always facilities and money. There was just not proper development happening for much of the 90's, and as a result there is a huge dearth of top end talent in Slovakia right now from players aged 22-30 for that reason. Those are the players whose formative years were in the post-Soviet/Czechoslovakia era, where the Slovaks had a real lack of organization, money, facilities, everything.

All I am saying, is that it really seems like the Slovak program is starting to round the corner. The young talent is just beginning to start to rebound as can be seen by some of these youngsters breaking into the program in Slovakia, such as Janus, Hudacek, Dano, Stastny among other players like Jurco and Tatar. The youth program seems to slowly be recovering, and we are starting to see the results in Slovan, is all I am saying. And with the way Slovan is building their team using and developing youngsters, it will be a real boost for Slovak hockey, IMO.
No I have never been there, I didn't say it wasn't popular but increased popularity can never hurt. Even though it may be a popular sport the amount of registered players pales in comparision to many countries where hockey is not even the main sport. I realize money is a problem and facilities and that will slow down the progression. I think if they can produce at least one or two good players per year i.e Tatar 90, Panik 91, Jurco 92 the National team should be fine however if they want to be amonsgt the elite teams they will need to produce more talent. Hopefully Slovans affect can be seen soon.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:10 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

I agree with wings5, Holden Caulfield is too positive

Last edited by vorky: 12-02-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old
12-02-2012, 04:57 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
cant decide between

Stajnoch, Janus, Dano on Haloween party

or Lubo
You should take

Old
12-02-2012, 06:09 AM
kajoo

Quote:

Quote:

51 Slovak players played at least one KHL game this season, which means that after Russian, Slovaks are 2nd most populous group in KHL. Another 49 are in Czech Extraliga, 5 in Elitserien, 4 in DEL, 2 in NLA (Swiss). Plus NHL, no idea on this season, but last season, 12 Slovaks were in NHL (3 of them are in KHL this seaosn, Chara/Sekerra/Visnovsky)

There is a plenty to choose from for one team, would be probably enough even for 2 teams.

Closed Thread