HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
11-03-2012, 01:43 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
just another city team seems wrong to me.

The islanders are still on long island, and more importantly, the existing islanders fanbase in nassau and suffolk counties know that this was the only chance to keep the isles in new york and on long island. There was no nasseau alternative. There was no suffolk alternative. There was no queens alternative. The only existing alternatives were quebec city, kansas city, and seattle.

What this means is that existing islanders fans are going to continue to support the isles. There wont be backlash at the team for leaving nasseau. Instead, the existing fanbase will appreciate that the team is staying on the region, and accessible to them when they choose to go to the game (and due to the LIRR stop at barclays, actually more accessible than nasseau for most). In addition to this 'old' fanbase, the isles will be able to expand their fanbase into brooklyn and probably queens.

So just another city team? I say no. This move, IMO, makes the New York Islanders more of a Long Island team than they've ever been.

11-03-2012, 05:34 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Not now they don't. They're about 20 miles outside city limits.

When i was referring to"everyone" i did mean area sport fans.
wow I always assumed that area was technically part of the city

the more you know

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Bert Marshall days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
wow I always assumed that area was technically part of the city

the more you know
If it was part of the city they wouldn't have had the problems they've had for the last 20 years.

It's amazing how many out of towners don't know the difference between the suburbs and the city regarding NYI's current location.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 08:23 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

Sorry, not reading the whole thread - is it completely decided that they're not getting new jerseys/colours, or is this still somewhat up in the air?

I hate the Islanders jerseys... they should make something similar to the Nets jerseys and reap the huge merchandise revenues.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
Sorry, not reading the whole thread - is it completely decided that they're not getting new jerseys/colours, or is this still somewhat up in the air?

I hate the Islanders jerseys... they should make something similar to the Nets jerseys and reap the huge merchandise revenues.
Right now they say they are keeping the name, as well as the logo. I think there is a good chance that they add Brooklyn and Queens to the logo and everything else will stay the same.

And I would venture to guess that ~90% of Islanders fans disagree with you about the jerseys. The current thirds are pretty universally hated, and that's very similar to the current Nets jerseys.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Right now they say they are keeping the name, as well as the logo. I think there is a good chance that they add Brooklyn and Queens to the logo and everything else will stay the same.

And I would venture to guess that ~90% of Islanders fans disagree with you about the jerseys. The current thirds are pretty universally hated, and that's very similar to the current Nets jerseys.
I would bet they leave the jersey's as is. I could see the third jersey being new and going with a Brooklyn theme

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:27 PM
nyrmetros

I wonder what the percentage is of Rangers supporters vs Islanders supporters in Brooklyn, Queens, and even Nassau......

Last edited by LadyStanley: 11-08-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: correct team name
nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:31 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I wonder what the percentage is of Rangers supporters vs Islanders supporters in Brooklyn, Queens, and even Nassau......
There are 21 millions people living in the NY metro area. One of the sillest comments from Ranger fans, is that there aren't enough fans for the NYI to draw well in Brooklyn, between the isles current fans in the NY area and the new fans they will attract.

Wang with 100 luxury suites, has plenty of incentive to open his checkbook.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:28 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
There are 21 millions people living in the NY metro area. One of the sillest comments from Ranger fans, is that there aren't enough fans for the NYI to draw well in Brooklyn, between the isles current fans in the NY area and the new fans they will attract.

Wang with 100 luxury suites, has plenty of incentive to open his checkbook.
I wonder what the breakdown is of people who don't care about hockey in the city. I'm sure it's a lot more than people who are hockey fans. No one here cares about existing Rags fans, it's about the existing Islanders fans and attracting the non hockey fans in the city, as Crew mentioned above.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:34 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves View Post
I wonder what the breakdown is of people who don't care about hockey in the city. I'm sure it's a lot more than people who are hockey fans. No one here cares about existing Rags fans, it's about the existing Islanders fans and attracting the non hockey fans in the city, as Crew mentioned above.
If 80% of the people in the New York metro area don't care about hockey, there's still 4.2 million hockey fans.

Detroit's population is 4.2 million and the Rangers have more revenues than the Wings, despite the Devils and Islanders also sharing the market.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
If 80% of the people in the New York metro area don't care about hockey, there's still 4.2 million hockey fans.

Detroit's population is 4.2 million and the Rangers have more revenues than the Wings, despite the Devils and Islanders also sharing the market.

It's probably more like 95%+ of the people there do not care about hockey at all.

NY as a hockey hub is really terrible, probably along similar lines as Atlanta; its just they have sooo many more people than anyone else they can mask it.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
It's probably more like 95%+ of the people there do not care about hockey at all.

NY as a hockey hub is really terrible, probably along similar lines as Atlanta; its just they have sooo many more people than anyone else they can mask it.
Exaggeration of the Year.. NY is like Atlanta? Please...

Hockey fandom isn't as visible in NJ/NY because we have 4 teams between the NFL and MLB (with 2 being consistently good).. That's more pro teams in a big 4 sport than most cities have altogether.. Then you have the Knicks who are wildly popular and take a lot of attention when they are relevant.. The Nets, if they ever get good, will command a lot of attention as well..So hockey has to come after all of those teams before it can get good press.. And then you have to divide hockey interest into 3 different teams

So really hockey is popular among people in the area, but the media has very little time/space to dedicate to it.. You still have many casual fans watching and following, but the media simply can't feature hockey as prominently as they can in virtually any other city.. I'll fully admit that I rag on Ranger fans for talking about how much bigger and better their team is than the Devils, when really they got out shined in media coverage by Jeremy Lin playing well for 2 weeks, and you really don't see a lot of Ranger gear being worn in the city.. That said, the support is there it's just hard to compete when the Yankees and Giants alone are hugely successful and the Rangers haven't won anything in a while.. NY'ers like wearing championship gear and associating themselves with winners

Hockey is also played A LOT more in the NJ/NY market than in Philly.. You look at the Philly area and say wow they love the Flyers way more than NYC loves hockey, but the Flyers have been the most successful team there over the last few decades in a city with only 4 pro teams total.. They have far less competition for attention and play in a city with 2 championships total since 1980

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post

Hockey fandom isn't as visible in NJ/NY because we have 4 teams between the NFL and MLB (with 2 being consistently good).. That's more pro teams in a big 4 sport than most cities have altogether.. Then you have the Knicks who are wildly popular and take a lot of attention when they are relevant.. The Nets, if they ever get good, will command a lot of attention as well..So hockey has to come after all of those teams before it can get good press.. And then you have to divide hockey interest into 3 different teams

So really hockey is popular among people in the area, but the media has very little time/space to dedicate to it.. You still have many casual fans watching and following, but the media simply can't feature hockey as prominently as they can in virtually any other city.. I'll fully admit that I rag on Ranger fans for talking about how much bigger and better their team is than the Devils, when really they got out shined in media coverage by Jeremy Lin playing well for 2 weeks, and you really don't see a lot of Ranger gear being worn in the city.. That said, the support is there it's just hard to compete when the Yankees and Giants alone are hugely successful and the Rangers haven't won anything in a while.. NY'ers like wearing championship gear and associating themselves with winners

Hockey is also played A LOT more in the NJ/NY market than in Philly.. You look at the Philly area and say wow they love the Flyers way more than NYC loves hockey, but the Flyers have been the most successful team there over the last few decades in a city with only 4 pro teams total.. They have far less competition for attention and play in a city with 2 championships total since 1980
It's hilarious. The sixers also won a championship more recently. I'll never understand how the flyers are popular like that in a city that's a hub for college basketball.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:25 AM
CREW99AW

Isles playing cap floor tricks, pissed off tix buyers the last several seasons. Also, not making the playoffs since 2007 also hurt their tix sales.. They drew 13,000+ last season in a 16,257 seat arena.

The last time Wang felt the franchise needed to gain the goodwill of tix buyers, change the perception among fans, players and agents, he greenlighted the moves to bring in Osgood, Yashin and Peca. The team improved 41 pts in the standings nd made the playoffs for the first time in yrs.

Isles are taking $200 deposits for Barclay's season tix.
They have 100 luxury suites to sell. That is where they will look to make their money, not on the 15,000-15,500 cheaper seats.

I predicted before Wang announced the Barclay's move, that a stronger lease + big cable deal + revenue sharing + increased attendance + playoff revenue = a stronger franchise.

Wang's got the stronger lease and big cable deal. The league is proposing a new cba, that would give Wang revenue sharing. Now it's up to Wang to spend and improve his on ice product, so he gets increased attendance and playoff revenue.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:36 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Isles playing cap floor tricks, pissed off tix buyers the last several seasons. Also, not making the playoffs since 2007 also hurt their tix sales.. They drew 13,000+ last season in a 16,257 seat arena.

The last time Wang felt the franchise needed to gain the goodwill of tix buyers, change the perception among fans, players and agents, he greenlighted the moves to bring in Osgood, Yashin and Peca. The team improved 41 pts in the standings nd made the playoffs for the first time in yrs.

Isles are taking $200 deposits for Barclay's season tix.
They have 100 luxury suites to sell. That is where they will look to make their money, not on the 15,000-15,500 cheaper seats.

I predicted before Wang announced the Barclay's move, that a stronger lease + big cable deal + revenue sharing + increased attendance + playoff revenue = a stronger franchise.

Wang's got the stronger lease and big cable deal. The league is proposing a new cba, that would give Wang revenue sharing. Now it's up to Wang to spend and improve his on ice product, so he gets increased attendance and playoff revenue.
An economist on the day of the Barclays announcement said the Islanders might have $35 million more in revenues a year... from suites alone.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post

New York has 10 times + the population of many teams selling out their arenas. If you divide the NY/Newark area by 3, they still have by far the highest population per team in the NHL.

On a population basis, NY cares very little about hockey. Pittsburgh without an entire year of crosby still averaged about the same amount of total households watching hockey; and the rangers won the division last year. It's not like they suck, they made it the ECF.

There are hockey crazy people everywhere, but NY fans act like they are a great sports town... really they just have a crap load of people.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:55 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
New York has 10 times + the population of many teams selling out their arenas. If you divide the NY/Newark area by 3, they still have by far the highest population per team in the NHL.

On a population basis, NY cares very little about hockey. Pittsburgh without an entire year of crosby still averaged about the same amount of total households watching hockey; and the rangers won the division last year. It's not like they suck, they made it the ECF.

There are hockey crazy people everywhere, but NY fans act like they are a great sports town... really they just have a crap load of people.
You are ignoring the fact that since 2007, Wang and Snow have done nothing to bring tix buyers out. Wang's been content to hover around the cap floor.

Last yr, Isles payroll was $36m after taking out unlikely to be reached bonuses. Nino making a base salary of $900,000 and having almost $2m, in unreached bonuses.

You really think, if the isles had used Nino's roster spot on a star player like Ryan at $5m, that would not have effected tix sales ansd the on ice product?

Old
11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
An economist on the day of the Barclays announcement said the Islanders might have $35 million more in revenues a year... from suites alone.
I'm looking forward to the time, when the isles are actually in the mix again, for star players.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:16 PM
KevFu

Quote:
You are ignoring the fact that since 2007, Wang and Snow have done nothing to bring tix buyers out. Wang's been content to hover around the cap floor.

Last yr, Isles payroll was $36m after taking out unlikely to be reached bonuses. Nino making a base salary of $900,000 and having almost $2m, in unreached bonuses.

You really think, if the isles had used Nino's roster spot on a star player like Ryan at $5m, that would not have effected tix sales ansd the on ice product?
Well, think about the "since 2007" part. It's difficult to spend on marketing when the NHL mandates you spend 70% of your HRR on the floor.

Spending $5 million on Ryan to sell more tickets? Selling out the Coliseum would result in only $6 million more in revenue. That's some pretty large diminishing returns on $5 million in expenses. Best case is $1 million gain? Not worth the risk of NOT selling out the entire season.

Why go out and sign someone just to be a marketable player when you're rebuilding? They have Tavares as the franchise face. Ryan is nothing more than a risk.

You go out and add when your young talent is entering their prime, not when they're 20 and 21.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the time, when the isles are actually in the mix again, for star players.
Again? When were they before?

Old
11-09-2012, 02:09 PM
CREW99AW

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Well, think about the "since 2007" part. It's difficult to spend on marketing when the NHL mandates you spend 70% of your HRR on the floor.

Spending $5 million on Ryan to sell more tickets? Selling out the Coliseum would result in only $6 million more in revenue. That's some pretty large diminishing returns on $5 million in expenses. Best case is $1 million gain? Not worth the risk of NOT selling out the entire season.

Why go out and sign someone just to be a marketable player when you're rebuilding? They have Tavares as the franchise face. Ryan is nothing more than a risk.

You go out and add when your young talent is entering their prime, not when they're 20 and 21.

My point is, you can't sit back with a $36m payroll, while your competitors are spending $48m-$64m and then complain that tix buyers aren't rushing out to grab your tixs.
Yes, the isles were rebuilding in 2011-2012. But, a mid-20 something yr old like Ryan would have been a young core piece, a young vet to help take the pressure off even younger NYI players. If finances are not a huge question mark, it lessens the worry over extending him. You have 3 yrs to build loyalties and friendships.

Quote:
Again? When were they before?
The last time the isles were actually in the mix for a star player, without being held back by payroll, would probably be the Cry Ryan Smyth trade or the Mark Streit signing.

This past season, when Nash and Ryan were on the trade block, I never bought into the NYI trade proposals because the arena situation wasn't settled. I doubted Wang would spend until it was.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Shwag33

Quote:

This isn't a cut at the islanders. It's all of NYC/NJ. The television comments are directed towards the rangers.

Old
11-09-2012, 04:20 PM
KevFu

Quote:
My point is, you can't sit back with a $36m payroll, while your competitors are spending $48m-$64m and then complain that tix buyers aren't rushing out to grab your tixs.
Yes, the isles were rebuilding in 2011-2012. But, a mid-20 something yr old like Ryan would have been a young core piece, a young vet to help take the pressure off even younger NYI players. If finances are not a huge question mark, it lessens the worry over extending him. You have 3 yrs to build loyalties and friendships.

The last time the isles were actually in the mix for a star player, without being held back by payroll, would probably be the Cry Ryan Smyth trade or the Mark Streit signing.
Who exactly is complaining? Charles Wang isn't pleading for fans to come to games.

Wang and the fans are united: Arena, Arena, Arena.
Wang has never blamed fan support for the financial situation (How many other owners have said "Well, if we don't get more fan support, I'll have to look elsewhere" over the years?). It's always been: "If we can't get a deal for a new arena, we'll be forced to look outside the market."

This has been going on for 20 years. We may be dumb, but we're not stupid. Wang knows he has a large and loyal fan base that will come back after 20 years of arena shenanigans is over. All he had to do was count the referendum YES votes to see how big his fan base was.

It's also not as simple as "oh, let's sign Ryan."
He turned down 5/$25 offer from the Ducks. How much was it gonna cost us extra to get someone to come to our 73-point team from his 96-point team? To our old run down arena, uncertain future, etc? We've been losing guys because of franchise uncertainty since Pat LaFontaine. We've added about two decent free agents (Streit -- who was almost 32 when he signed with us; Miroslav Satan) and then a bunch of guys struggling to find opportunities.

We traded for Smyth, and also Yashin, Peca, etc. And when Wang spent to get four first-round playoff exits, our losses were a lot higher. Like I said, SELLING OUT THE SEASON brings in a whopping $6 million more in revenue. There's no incentive to spend. You might not even make Ryan's contract back in extra revenues.

Furthermore, if Ryan's making $5-$6 million, can we afford to resign Tavares? Or are we going to have to trade him/let him walk? You don't risk essentially trading Tavares for Ryan just to TRY and make $1 million more in revenues?

Your point is a very good one… NOW. Now that we know we're going to Brooklyn. Have a lease signed for Barclays and have Taveres extended thru 2018? Fudge yes, Charles Wang should make a splash.

Perry or Getzlaf (or go for Hartnell to cut the Flyers down), two D-men: Edler and either Visnovski/Streit (resign) and then also add Brendan Morrow (son of Islanders dynasty member Ken Morrow).

That would get the Coliseum jumping headed into Brooklyn.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

It is. NY sells out for everything IN THE CITY.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard

Quote:
Who exactly is complaining? Charles Wang isn't pleading for fans to come to games.
... your right, he's more engaged in a long-game Megalomaniacal Con. How you could possibly be a "fan" of such ownership is a question mark; and one Id prefer to not hear the answer to. Absolutely no justification would suffice. If being a slithering, slimy operator like Charles Wang, "yes man" Garth Snow who as both a player and intellect is beyond wastedly wonting is something you subscribe to, well, I just dont know what to say to you. Decisions by "committee"; Groupthink bordering on Xenophobia & Racism (see ComputerAssociates) is not conducive to, you know, "winning". The Mans an idiot, a fool. You tell me why I shouldnt paint every single bought & paid for Islander fan in the same colour? That franchise is an embarrassment and a bad joke. Yet you proudly fly the colours. Well guess what Kev? Im here to tell you you dont know **** from shinola.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
It is. NY sells out for everything IN THE CITY.

And why is that genius? Did you forget to read anything that was posted?

By far the most corporate support, and on top of that the MASSIVE population advantage. NYR cant even get more people to watch the rangers on tv than the penguins when they have about a 20x population advantage; in a year in which the rangers were better and the penguins were without crosby.