HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
thanks for your write up. I agree with you wrote. Saw those games too.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:46 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Thanks for the breakdown. Pretty much confirms my opinions of all the players you listed.

Re: Stanton, I was wondering about this guy as well. Posting solid numbers so far at Rockford.

Stanton played in the Brick Invitational jr Tournament. The Brick selects top teams in that age group (10?). Doesnt mean all the players from the various teams makes it to the show but it does mean he was among the top players in his age group in his area to be selected.

Rockford has several Brick alumni. I was surprised to see how many appeared in the tournament over the years.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:38 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Flick: Really solid as a 4th line player. Still has to mature his game and adjust to the AHL, but I could see him making the NHL one day. He has a bit of skill to go with his style of play... unfortunately, it's hard to crack an NHL line-up unless there's something really recognizable about your game. I'm not sure Flick has that 'flash' to get a call-up. But he's a very solid player.
I wasn't expecting anything from Flick after he was drafted. I saw him a few times and I was a little surprised by the amount of tangible hockey skill he had. Extremely abrasive and much quicker than I had thought. Once he learns a little more I'm not going to be surprised if he has a somewhat decent career as a 4th line player in a couple years.

Anyway, he was one of those players that surprised me in Rockford last year. I agree that he might actually have enough to crack an NHL roster down the road.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:41 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
I've watched every Wolves v. Rockford game on TV (considering it's the only time I get to watch AHL hockey without traveling to Rockford). Here's my thoughts:

Pirri: ...
Didn't quote it all, for brevity's sake. Agree with much of what you wrote. While I don't see much of what you saw in Flick, I do agree that Stanton (and Lavin) both have looked better than Olsen. Kruger certainly has a high on ice "IQ", but I think he has an overall mediocre skill set. If he's not hustling, he's not perfoming.

I'm hoping to go to the game tonight, if work doesn't interfere.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
BobbyJet

As long as I can continue to see Hogs games I'm fine with the greedy NHL sitting. Watching our prospects gain valuable experience is filling the gap nicely.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:17 PM
BobbyJet

Anyone know of a link to tonights game?

Old
11-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Completely agree. Beach is getting to the point where he will have nothing left to prove in the A. His problem isnt hockey and he needs to focus on the hockey.
Just exactly what has Beach proven in his pro career to date? That he hasn't been consistent? That he hasn't scored at the pro level? That he's not as tough as thought now that he's not an overage Junior?

Old
11-09-2012, 07:40 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Just exactly what has Beach proven in his pro career to date? That he hasn't been consistent? That he hasn't scored at the pro level? That he's not as tough as thought now that he's not an overage Junior?
No one said he has proven anything yet. But he has improved his game and is beginning to show a nose for the net.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
azrael111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Anyone know of a link to tonights game?
Did not find a stream, so i'm listening online. The game had a 6:05 start so I missed the 1st period.

Notes:
currently 4-3 Griffins
Saad and Leddy both back and playing.
Hayes with three pts halfway thru the 2nd
Olsen, Shaw and Brookbank suspended
Beach just got ejected--checking Brendan Smith from behind

Old
11-10-2012, 08:40 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

So, made it out of work in time to make it home, change clothes, eat a 2 minute meal, grab a son, and take the 35 minute trip to the Van Andel Arena, where the Griffins play. Got there 15 minutes before game time only to face a 50 minute wait to get tickets. Damn $1 beer night. Sigh.

Tickets to the left and behind Hogs bench, 11 rows up. Into seats with 3:30 left in the first, score tied 2-2. Griffins proceed to score. Period ends 3-2 Hogs down.

Of note, the lines were shuffled mercilessly. It seemed as if I didn't see the same line combo out there twice! One power play had St.Pierre, Pirri and Kruger as the three forwards!!?? Also, don't know the final tally, but the Hogs won the vast majority of the faceoffs, typically St. Pierre, but also Pirri and even Kruger.

Prospect notes:

Beach: Had all of maybe 10 minutes of game time to watch him. The most obvious elite facet of his game is his hand-eye coordination. Until his hit-to-head penalty that got him tossed from the game , he looked pretty good. Looked like he was bumped up onto the third line, and also played on the PP. Seemed defensively aware, covering the offensive point on 2-3 occasions, back-checking, board battles, etc... Very quick release on his shot even with bodies flying around him. This is the kind of guy that doesn't need to have plus speed to impact a game. Much like a second baseman who maybe lacks a bit of range but who makes up for it through better positioning, Beach only needs to read the play and put himself in the proper position to let loose his wicked shot. He really is a big boy, and doesn't get pushed around much. The only times his average speed might be of concern are when he's trailing a play or busting down a wing.

Saad: This is a guy who just seems to find the puck. Didn't really pay attention to him specifically, but then he would appear in a passing lane and disrupt a play. Has a pretty good shot, seemed a little out of game shape, and is deceptively fast, skating with a hunched/low to ice style that makes him appear slower than he is. Played a little on the power play (on the point even), and was juggled into the first line at times. I was standing in line for tickets when he scored. Will need to see more of him in the future to better judge him.

Pirri: Any line with Pirri spent most of each shift in the offensive zone, dominating puck possession. He passes well, sets up plays, has a fine shot with a good release, finds open space with or without the puck, doesn't panic, and looks very comfortable at this level. I had a much better look at the neutral and defensive zones this game than the last one, and I have to say Pirri's effort on the back-check was very good though not ferocious, as often it was near the end of a shift where the play had been in the offensive zone and the Griffins finally found a way to break out. He never dogged it defensively, covered the point offensively on a couple of occasions, went to the boards, and even attacked the point defensively once or twice. He certainly looks ready to take the next step. No points, but he had a very strong game.

Bollig: Any line with Bollig spent most of the shift in the defensive zone, and if the puck managed to come out, the play went right back in. He hasn't looked good in either of the games I've seen. Low puck skills and lack of hockey sense.

Leddy: He seems to view the AHL as his personal offensive playground, rushing the puck almost every chance he gets, and forcing one of the forwards to drop back almost every shift. He's fast and can turn the corner when he does it, but I'd rather he learn to clear the crease and man the point. He passes well, and has an average shot for a Dman.

Morin: Another strong game from him. Lined up at both right and left wings. With Pirri and Beach early on, and with Saad also, they had their way with the Griffins. Drove down the right wing in the third period and got off a shot that handcuffed the goalie. Would have rather seen him turn the corner and drive to the net that time, but he clearly beat both defensemen with speed down the boards (first one beat by self pass off the boards between blue and red line, second one had the angle on Morin, but Morin bullied past him inside the offensive blue line).

Kruger: Kruger had a bad game. He took a pointless penalty in the defensive end which led to a goal, was knocked down repeatedly along the boards and in front of the net, and wasted every power play that the Hogs had. Inexplicably, he's on the first PP unit, ostensibly because he passes well. His one assist was on a neutral zone regroup pass to the left dman Stanton, who quickly passed it up on the left wing to Hayes, who scored short-handed (Beach penalty) on a rising wrister from the top of the circle. He had a terrible giveaway in our defensive zone where he "passed" the puck perfectly to the Griffins left dman on a breakout, and only a fine save by Hutton prevented a goal. He has average speed, but does hustle. Again, if he's not having a plus game intellectually out there, he's physically and skillfully not able to overcome it.

Hayes: Big guy who skates deceptively well. Doesn't hurt the team defensively and seems to have a nose for the play. Nice goal (see above), but I missed his assists (see above ). Strong physically. Matchup problems for other teams when the Hawks season starts, I can see him playing really on any line, though right now best suited for the 3rd or 4th lines.

Stanton and Lavin, Lavin and Stanton: Stanton had a better game in terms of puck movement and passing perhaps, but overall these two are quite similar. Maybe Lavin seems a tad more offensive-minded, and Stanton more defensive. They are almost identical in stature, handedness, position, physicality, and ironically age. I can see either as a future 5-6 dman in the NHL, but likely not both on the Hawks. I'd have to see more of these two, and really concentrate on them during the game (at the game, not on tv), to find some separation between them.

Hutton: All goals seemed high up in the net. Some strong saves on shots down low through traffic. I'm pretty sure the Hogs handily outshot the Griffins, but Hutton let in some savable shots. I'm sick of seeing Smith score on Hutton.

The Rest: Except for St.Pierre, the rest were nothing to write home about. Easily the weak link on this team is the defense, and Clendening, Lalonde, and Lebda (particularly) were either average at best or sub-par. LeBlanc, Paradis, Smith, and Flick were indistinguishable bodies out there, sometimes doing good, sometimes bad, and mostly un-noticeable.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:58 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Was just thinking a bit more about Hayes. For you older guys out there, he reminds me a bit of Pete Mahovlich.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:25 AM
BobbyJet

Nice write-up PVR. Thank-you.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:43 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Fine write up. Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
Was just thinking a bit more about Hayes. For you older guys out there, he reminds me a bit of Pete Mahovlich.
Any team would take that.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:19 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
Indeed, he does. Very similar in style. Once he gains more experience perhaps JH will learn to utilize his soft hands and big body at the NHL level. PM used to give opps dmen fits, especially killing penalties.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:24 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Yes, the "Little M". Lanky but strong. I used to hate him when he was on the Canadiens. He beat up on the Hawks regularly in the early 70's. Best comp I can think of.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:40 AM
BobbyJet

I still am hoping Jimmy can become a garbageman, looming in front of the net but that may not be in him.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:51 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

I don't doubt that he can do that, but he seems to possess more to his game. Wonder if both Hayes boys can become almost a reverse Big M/Little M combo. Oh well...wishful thinking...

Old
11-10-2012, 05:32 PM
BobbyJet

Don't forget two of the greatest were garbagemen. Espo and Niewendyk.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:38 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

With Beach's quick release and lethal shot, that role might better suit him. He seems to range from low to high slot, much like Espo did, and he also has soft hands.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:42 PM
BobbyJet

/\ true enough ... and tougher than either of those guys I mentioned.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
No one said he has proven anything yet. But he has improved his game and is beginning to show a nose for the net.
I believe the post that I quoted not only implied he has proven much, it actually said he is getting to the point of having nothing left to prove at the AHL level.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:51 PM
RomersWorld*

lol...on the AHL website it says "AHL announces suspension" on the right side of the page. There are two different ones so I click both and these are the two...

Quote:
AHL announces suspension
November 10, 2012
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League today announced that Rockford IceHogs right wing Kyle Beach has been suspended for one (1) game as a consequence of an illegal check to the head of an opponent a game at Grand Rapids on Nov. 9.

Beach will miss Rockford’s game tonight (Nov. 10) vs. Milwaukee.
Quote:
AHL announces suspension
November 9, 2012
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League today announced that Peoria Rivermen right wing Cody Beach has been suspended for two (2) games as a consequence of an illegal check to the head of an opponent a game at Charlotte on Nov. 8.

Beach will miss Peoria’s game tonight (Nov. 9) at Charlotte and Saturday (Nov. 10) vs. Grand Rapids.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
lol...on the AHL website it says "AHL announces suspension" on the right side of the page. There are two different ones so I click both and these are the two...
I was going to post that myself when I read those, lol.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:03 AM
hockeydoug

Fiesta jersey for November 16th:
http://www.csnchicago.com/hockey-chi...3&feedID=10334

Hurts the eyes a bit.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:32 PM
BobbyJet

If anyone finds a link to tonights game, please post it.

Closed Thread