HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 12:36 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Any thoughts on 2014 hopefuls who have been playing in Europe? Seguin and Bergeron seem even more likely to me, and Thornton seems even less likely than before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ya Thornton is out...but other than that I don't think HC will put a whole lot of stock into Euro stats... The fact that Seguin and Bergeron seem to be playing well there is just 1/10 of the equation. Or at least it should be... the real test comes when the NHL fires up again... btw which will be real soon.
i don't see the lockout helping seguin very much re the '14 team.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
i don't see the lockout helping seguin very much re the '14 team.
In an amendment to my earlier post, it looks as though the lockout won't be ending soon as the PA threw a monkey wrench in the process yesterday... So, our lockout junior team is still in tack for now...

As for the Olympics... and lets say the NHL season is wiped out, all those players who went to Europe mixed with those from the AHL if available in the springtime, send them all to the world championships, Hall, Eberele, RNH, Seguin, Schultz, Couture, and others... and who plays the best gets a shot at the summer evaluation camp and chance to impress....

And no, I didn't include Skinner in that list as the last I heard he balked at the idea of playing in the AHL and further developing his game for sitting on his *** and playing shinny... so if I were Stevie Y I'd be scratching his name of the list.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:50 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
We don't know the final roster, but we know the main core ( Crosby, Doughty, Weber, Giroux, Stamkos, Toews, Nash). Who do we give the C and As.

I'd go with

C- Crosby

A- Toews
A- Weber
A- Letang

Last edited by JayKing: 11-12-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 10:35 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
We don't know the final roster, but we know the main core ( Crosby, Doughty, Weber, Giroux, Stamkos, Toews, Nash). Who do we give the C and As
I will guess Crosby with the C, Weber with an A and one of the more senior forwards with an A. Someone like Nash or Staal, as I assume Iginla won't be there.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:43 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

nope, it's gonna be Crosby C, Weber A, Toews A

No doubt. **** Nash

Old
11-10-2012, 02:45 PM
True Hockey Fan

C - Crosby or Iginla
A - Toews, Weber

Re 2013 whc - I think we should send players like Tavares, Giroux, Briere, Hall, RNH, Bergeron, Seguin, Kane or even Lupul and add some veterans such as Nash, Thornton, St. Louis.....

Old
11-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Mr Writer

Personally I prefer Weber as captain, Towes and Sid to wear As. Just my opinion, but I'm not in the make Sid the Captain camp.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:16 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Personally I prefer Weber as captain, Towes and Sid to wear As. Just my opinion, but I'm not in the make Sid the Captain camp.
Same here - I'd prefer Weber over Crosby too.

C - Weber
A - Crosby
A - Toews
A - Keith

Don't really see Nash or Staal having the gravitas (for lack of a better word) to wear a letter for this group, which is why I slotted in Keith for the third "A" (Canada typically appoints three "A"s). Other than that, maybe Giroux? He's an OG rookie, but seems like a solid leader for Philly (both in terms of his vocal leadership and leading by example). We'll see if he steps up as a leader at next summer's orientation camp.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:30 PM
espo*

Why not Crosby as captain?

Puts too much pressure on his shoulders?

Quote:

Old
11-12-2012, 03:43 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post

That's my thinking anyway - let him just focus on playing hockey instead of putting the responsibility for leading the time on/off the ice, being the "face" of the team, handling the inevitable media scrutinty, and all the other trappings of being the captain. Not to say that he won't be asked to shoulder some of this load anyway, but personally I'm of the view that your captain doesn't need to be your best player (and vice versa).

Old
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
espo*

Sound reasoning.

He'll be one of the big leaders with or without the "C" anyway.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:18 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post

I just think Weber garners more respect from all of the other players. Sid not so much...Sid is somewhat of a polarizing figure. And I'd prefer for Sid just to concentrate on playing and not leading so much...He's is one of the guys counted on to be a leader, but the real leaders in my mind are Weber and Captain Serious Towes. Towes has been unreal ever since the 2007 WJC.... I mean what kind of mad squabbles you got to have to do what he done in the shoot-out semi-final. I'm probably more of a Towes guy than a Sid guy. I confess.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Dream Big

2010 Olympics

Duncan Keith: seven games, six assists, plus six, two penalty minutes, average ice time per game: 21 minutes

Brent Seabrook: seven games, one assist, plus two, two penalty minutes, average ice time per game: 8.5 minutes

iirc they had to shelter Seabrook.

Quote:
Brent Seabrook was the odd man out in terms of playing time

Old
11-13-2012, 04:33 AM
Dream Big

http://sports.ca.msn.com/olympics/ar...entid=23483862

Old
11-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
And no, I didn't include Skinner in that list as the last I heard he balked at the idea of playing in the AHL and further developing his game for sitting on his *** and playing shinny... so if I were Stevie Y I'd be scratching his name of the list.
Why do people make things like this up? Rutherford said that he didn't want Skinner playing because of his injury last season.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Why do people make things like this up? Rutherford said that he didn't want Skinner playing because of his injury last season.
I heard differently. I head he was assigned and balked at the idea preferring instead to play shinny. And Rutherford granted him that.... reluctantly.

Regardless, Skinner is in my mind out of consideration for the Olympic team anyway..so he can play shinny all he wants or road hockey or take up basketball... It would be a mistake including him now anyway.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Mehar

Quote:
I heard differently. I head he was assigned and balked at the idea preferring instead to play shinny. And Rutherford granted him that.... reluctantly.

Regardless, Skinner is in my mind out of consideration for the Olympic team anyway..so he can play shinny all he wants or road hockey or take up basketball... It would be a mistake including him now anyway.
He should not be out of the running yet. If he comes back and lights it up, he should still merit consideration. He played great hockey in the WC this past spring and looked amazing on the big ice at times. He should merit consideration, just like guys like Hall, etc.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
He should not be out of the running yet. If he comes back and lights it up, he should still merit consideration. He played great hockey in the WC this past spring and looked amazing on the big ice at times. He should merit consideration, just like guys like Hall, etc.
I didn't think he played all that great at the WC aside from decent game against Finland.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
86Habs

Quote:
I didn't think he played all that great at the WC aside from decent game against Finland.
Personally I think we have better options at the wing position than Skinner. I guess he's one of those guys that doesn't have a long track record or much of a playoff resume, so in my view he's unlikely to get the benefit of the doubt from Yzerman & Hockey Canada assuming they don't get an opportunity to properly evaluate him before next December.

That said, if he can develop good chemistry with the Staal Bros. whenever the NHL starts up again, he has a shot. I'd say he gets invited to next summer's orientation camp but, again, I think we have quite a few better options at this point.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:18 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
I agree about his play at the last WC and about how not playing this year negatively impacts his candidacy.

The Evander Kane situation in the KHL may also negatively impact him for the 2014 team. It reminds me of the Heatley/Lecavalier/McCabe failures from the last lockout.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

vCash: 50
This lockout is killing the chances for the young guys like Seguin, Skinner, E.Kane, etc. Even if they start tearing it up at the beginning of next season, it would probably be too late. Stamkos in 2010, Crosby in 2006, even if one of them can have a similar start to the season as those two, it wont do them any good. Hockey Canada will opt for the older players, (Thornton, St. Louis, Iginla, etc), which imo is a good thing, as they are all still better players at this point. Lets not bring young guys because they're young. Players like Skinner and Seguin have shown they can be good top six players in the NHL, but they haven't shown why they should be picked over players like Staal or St. Louis, who are still performing at elite levels.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
This lockout is killing the chances for the young guys like Seguin, Skinner, E.Kane, etc. Even if they start tearing it up at the beginning of next season, it would probably be too late. Stamkos in 2010, Crosby in 2006, even if one of them can have a similar start to the season as those two, it wont do them any good. Hockey Canada will opt for the older players, (Thornton, St. Louis, Iginla, etc), which imo is a good thing, as they are all still better players at this point. Lets not bring young guys because they're young. Players like Skinner and Seguin have shown they can be good top six players in the NHL, but they haven't shown why they should be picked over players like Staal or St. Louis, who are still performing at elite levels.
Please God: No. That's exactly what lead to that terrible 2006 team: Putting more stock in experience than in talent.

Last edited by DyerMaker66: 11-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Please God, no. That's exactly what lead to that terrible 2006 team: Putting more stock in experience than in talent.
There needs to be a balance, obviously. I actually have quite a bit of faith in Yzerman and the current regime to put aside loyalties (whether to their club team, previous Canadian Olympians, etc.) for the good of assembling the best possible team at that time. Much moreso than I did in Gretzky et al.

In any event we'll have sufficient experience such that we won't need to bring along guys like Iginla or Thornton just for that reason - Crosby, Toews, Staal, Perry, Bergeron, Nash, Richards, Weber, Doughty, Keith, and Seabrook are all at least good bets to return in '14. Getzlaf has a shot, if he can return to his '09-'10 form. Giroux demonstrates outstanding leadership in Philly. NHL veterns like Sharp, Jordan Staal, Neal, Carter, and Letang are in the mix. So really only 3-4 spots up front are in play for the youngsters, and Tavares and Eberle are locks to fill two of those. So we'll be alright without resurrecting the likes of Iginla, Thornton, or guys like that for one last go 'round with Team Canada.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:00 PM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Please God: No. That's exactly what lead to that terrible 2006 team: Putting more stock in experience than in talent.
Those guys I mentioned may be older, but they're still playing at a higher level then the young guys. Im sure I'm not the only one who would rather see a Martin St. Louis over a Jeff Skinner.

Of course, I do expect to see Eberle and Tavares, but those guys proved they can be among the best players in the NHL. I can't say the same for Skinner or E.Kane, or whichever young guy with potential someone wants to throw on the team. My mindset is that the best current players should go, and if that means Thornton or St. Louis, then so be it.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

I've never heard that, and I live in Kitchener and they followed Skinner pretty closely for the lockout. It's highly unlikely Skinner would say that anyway, very humble kid.

You can't believe everything you hear.

Closed Thread