HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 01:11 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Didn't realize it was a recurring contract. As a matter of fact I can't believe that it is. At forward, in his 44th season, Vinnie Prospal.

Anyway, I don't see the harm (or idiocy) in Porty's musings. I'm pretty sure if Prospal is the stand up guy as has been reported, Davidson will give him a shot, but as the new guy in charge, it is his call as to how, and with whom he structures and staffs his organization.
With a rebuild, Columbus can't just go with all youth. Prospal is a veteran and he would help out with the younger kids. Since it's just 1 year deals and not multi year deals and with Prospal being a fan favourite, I can see Davidson keeping the agreement, especially if Prospal continues to put up respectable numbers. Once he becomes a liability on the ice, I'm sure Prospal would know it's time to retire.
*I think Brodeur said if the lockout is for the entire season, he might just retire, I wonder if Prospal would feel the same way.

As for getting a job after, I can see it happening as well. Before Davidson got here, I assumed it would have been a small role and then work his way up or something. I expect the same with Davidson. Give Prospal a scouting job and make him earn bigger roles.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Roadman, has the lockout caused you to come over to the dark side?

I agree with Pete-as a blogger he has a different role then when he is reporting.
Nope Am what I am

Just have never believed the Portz to be neutral. Have always felt he has an agenda, blogging or "reporting".

I post, therefore I am.
Old
11-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Tiffin View Post
Such an idiot. Even questions Davidson's integrity before the guy has the chance to do ANYTHING.

"(Wonder if the deal reached so quickly between Prospal and the Blue Jackets last winter -- a one-year recurring contract as long as he wants to keep playing, then a job within the organization -- will still be honored now that Davidson is in charge of hockey ops?)"
Davidson has the misfortune of not having the last name Dineen.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Davidson has the misfortune of not having the last name Dineen.
Or preceded by "Former Blue Jacket"

Old
11-03-2012, 01:54 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
So you are saying they skip will the draft and push those prospects back until 2014?
My guess is if this summer is skipped by with no CBA, and thus no draft, and I'll just pull a date out of the air, September 30th as a day the CBA is signed. My guess would be they would have a draft during the season for all the 2013 eligible players so they don't collide with the 2014 eligible players.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Roadman
Moving On

it would seem that there is talk going on between Bill Daly and Steve Fehr. If anything is going to actually get done, it will be between these two. My hope is there is meaningful discussion happening. The location is "undisclosed" and very little being reported.

My guess that's a good sign. Hockey right after Thanksgiving??

Old
11-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
it would seem that there is talk going on between Bill Daly and Steve Fehr. If anything is going to actually get done, it will be between these two. My hope is there is meaningful discussion happening. The location is "undisclosed" and very little being reported.

As was mentioned on TSN earlier today, it wasn't the guys at the forefront that got the deal done - it was Bill Daly who fronted the NHL to put away the last lockout, and I think it has to be again. Further proof that Gary Bettman is the wrong guy for the NHL job.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:29 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post

I think no news is always good news in negotiations. Usually we hear news when one side, or both sides, aren't happy with what is being proposed.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:18 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Off topic. But what're we going to do with our forum avatars for this year?

Old
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Pictures from our own childhood photoshopped over a vintage All-Star player from the same generation, with "I'm an All-Star!" written as a caption in multi-colored Comic Sans.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:15 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I am up for anything as long as they do not include photos of any of these spoiled brat cry baby players.

11-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I am up for anything as long as they do not include photos of any of these spoiled brat cry baby players.
Someone get me a picture of Craig Leipold wearing that stupid question mark suit from the infomercials. Here, just combine them:

Old
11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

re: Avatars

This:

Old
11-10-2012, 05:48 AM
EspenK

According to Porty the players want to be paid for 82 games regardless of the number played. http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ers/index.html

I was hoping that this weeks negotiations might bring resolution. Kind of like I thought last year might be the Jacket's best.

Looking like the Oklahoma City Barons vs Texas Stars might be the best live hockey I see this year. At least down here you don't have to worry about snow when you plan a "winter" trip.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:52 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

I think the players are delusional if they think they are getting paid for 82 games. And if they board that delusional train of thought, they will ride it to a cancelled season and getting paid for 0 games.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:50 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Posting some updates...

Quote:
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

NHL and NHLPA have been in touch this morning in an effort to keep this thing from blowing up; owners on neg committee did fly home tho
Quote:
Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Tough meeting today. Talks were good this week but some say its because Jeremy Jacobs was not there...until today

Old
11-10-2012, 03:33 PM
BluejacketNut

If these talk dont end with a deal (and it doesnt look like it will),then stick a fork in the season, its done

Old
11-10-2012, 11:16 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
If these talk dont end with a deal (and it doesnt look like it will),then stick a fork in the season, its done
You may be right. But I think even if talks break off, there would still be a slim chance that they could talk in December and still put out a half season starting in January.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

I got the first refund from my season ticket purchase. October games only.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Cyclones Rock

Color me absolutely wrong about the entire lockout.

I can't believe that something which will ultimately end in a a split approximating 52-48 players has taken so long. The egos of the principals involved are truly of Hall of Fame stature.

The quality of play in the ECHL this season is outstanding. As much as I'm enjoying this, I'm looking forward to the resumption of the NHL.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:05 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

We just don't get much hockey in columbus

when the Jackets are not playing.. sux but our organ-I-zation is probably better off if the season is scratched and our young guys keep getting older. We have no chance of getting any luck in a lottery (based on past results anyway).

Could somebody with admin skills put the prospects in the order that we voted them?

Old
11-12-2012, 07:31 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I don't get why so many think the lockout is good for our young guys and us as a team.

1. Every other team has young players too.
2. The minor leagues are not the same as playing with NHLers and NHL coaching.
3. The lockout does nothing for that all important team chemistry and line chemistry.

There is no silver lining, unless you're talking about the players' silver the owners are trying to re-line their pockets with.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:50 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I don't get why so many think the lockout is good for our young guys and us as a team.

1. Every other team has young players too.
2. The minor leagues are not the same as playing with NHLers and NHL coaching.
3. The lockout does nothing for that all important team chemistry and line chemistry.

There is no silver lining, unless you're talking about the players' silver the owners are trying to re-line their pockets with.
I think it is because our guys get a lot more ice time than they would get here without the pressure of playing up to NHL level standards if they are not ready. Other teams that are deeper at the NHL level can afford to let their kids develop, historically the Jackets haven't had that luxury. With no season, it effectively levels the playing field as far as development time goes.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Skraut

Is it wrong that I just want this to keep getting worse? To the point where the owners mindset changes from

"If we lock them out, the players will eventually cave, and we'll get what we want. It's a small sacrifice to pay every 6 years"

to

"The players actually have a 'union' lets start talking early on the next agreement so we can avoid losing so much in a lockout."

I hate lockouts. I hate not seeing my favorite players. I hate not seeing my favorite team.

Right now though I'm missing out on watching a team that just finished 30th in the league.

I'd rather miss these games now, and have a better player/owner balance going forward, so that in the future when the team is better (heck, even 29th place is better...) we run less of a risk of a lockout.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Love the quote in the latest puckdaddy article...
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-44598

Quote:
Are we really going to see a season pissed away over contractual regulations and restrictions for which the owners are likely already mapping out loopholes to circumvent?

Closed Thread