HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lockout discussion thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 04:58 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
From day one, I posted how Fehr was a ****ing ******* who brings nothing but destruction wherever he shows up. He screwed the MLB and now he is wreaking havoc on the NHL.

Glad to see more people are coming around to that reality regarding Fehr and how he does not give one **** about the League, the players or the fans.

Its all about him, Donald Fehr, the little dick that could.
thing is, same could be said about Bettman... it's not like he used the lock-out idea in last resort or that he tried to "save" the Heritage Classic or something...

Old
11-10-2012, 05:42 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

I can't believe all of you are falling for this anti-Fehr rhetoric.

He's doing right by his mandate, and he's been right so far. Maybe if you didn't fall for every stupid tweet from "anonymous sources" you'd understand that.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I can't believe all of you are falling for this anti-Fehr rhetoric.

He's doing right by his mandate, and he's been right so far. Maybe if you didn't fall for every stupid tweet from "anonymous sources" you'd understand that.
The same thing can be said for Bettman. Fehr has done this before in other leagues... he's very good at convincing the players that his strategy is the right way to go. Unfortunately for the fans, that means not giving a lot of concessions.

He has been just as wrong as bettman, its just that the commissioner has done wrong by this league before, so some put all the blame on him. Both of them have convinced their parties to hold off... so they're both wronging the fans.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:42 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Hahaha Fehr is right. $211M isn't enough because the NHL isn't going to grow by Year 3. Both sides are making people care less and less everyday arguing over our money. People aren't going to come back if we're just going to end up with another lockout in 4 years.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:11 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
The same thing can be said for Bettman. Fehr has done this before in other leagues... he's very good at convincing the players that his strategy is the right way to go. Unfortunately for the fans, that means not giving a lot of concessions.

He has been just as wrong as bettman, its just that the commissioner has done wrong by this league before, so some put all the blame on him. Both of them have convinced their parties to hold off... so they're both wronging the fans.
You can't say that both sides are equally at fault - just like you can't say that both Republicans and Democrats are equally bad. Doing so is committing the fallacy of fairness (look it up, very interesting). Bettman's entire shtick was to expand the NHL and increase market share - he's been moderately successful but at the expense of THREE LOCKOUTS and millions of lost revenue. Also many can and will attribute the NHL's growth with the Canadian dollar and only that - Bettman's TV deals are **** and he still doesn't have ESPN coverage.

Forget about Fehr, but the NHLPA was on the "Right" side this time around and they're still on that side. Fickle morons will clamr back and forth "oh man, now I'm just sick of these selfish jerks!!" every time they have a rough bowel movement but the truth remains that this is a very important process and if they let the NHL bully them they'll be at a significant disadvantage until the next round of CBA talks. The NHL is playing the fans like a puppet - they leak whatever news they want and the fans go ape-**** over it "HOW CAN THEY NOT ACCEPT IT. FEHR IS THE ANTICHRIST" when it's just not true.

The last proposal which had everyone soil their britches turned out to be a farce. This one is still coming closer but remember that the NHL initiated the talks with 43/57 and basically a slap in the face of the NHLPA. The NHLPA stood fast and look, they're almost at equal/fair footing.

I'm not a communist, and I think that there shouldn't be guaranteed contracts (which the NHLPA will never accept) but this time around I'm 100% pro-NHLPA and I don't give a damn who's "leading" it. The players know about their own interests better than random tweeters and stupid fans - Fehr is the right man for the job precisely because he won't give in to pressure from Pierre fkn Lebrun's mouthbreating followers.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

The media has no pull in these negotiations. I dont know why you bring up lebrun... Your last paragraph says it all! Sure the players know about their own interests, but they have to sacrfice some things if they want to get this season going! They will lose something (especially considering how pro player the last cba was) and the sooner they accept that, the sooner the season can start.

Fehr's unwillingness to bargain is costing most of his players important money just as well as bettmans unwillingness to budge. That last offer by the owners was a slap in the face... And a reality check!

Old
11-10-2012, 11:39 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
You can't say that both sides are equally at fault - just like you can't say that both Republicans and Democrats are equally bad. Doing so is committing the fallacy of fairness (look it up, very interesting). Bettman's entire shtick was to expand the NHL and increase market share - he's been moderately successful but at the expense of THREE LOCKOUTS and millions of lost revenue. Also many can and will attribute the NHL's growth with the Canadian dollar and only that - Bettman's TV deals are **** and he still doesn't have ESPN coverage.

Forget about Fehr, but the NHLPA was on the "Right" side this time around and they're still on that side. Fickle morons will clamr back and forth "oh man, now I'm just sick of these selfish jerks!!" every time they have a rough bowel movement but the truth remains that this is a very important process and if they let the NHL bully them they'll be at a significant disadvantage until the next round of CBA talks. The NHL is playing the fans like a puppet - they leak whatever news they want and the fans go ape-**** over it "HOW CAN THEY NOT ACCEPT IT. FEHR IS THE ANTICHRIST" when it's just not true.

The last proposal which had everyone soil their britches turned out to be a farce. This one is still coming closer but remember that the NHL initiated the talks with 43/57 and basically a slap in the face of the NHLPA. The NHLPA stood fast and look, they're almost at equal/fair footing.

I'm not a communist, and I think that there shouldn't be guaranteed contracts (which the NHLPA will never accept) but this time around I'm 100% pro-NHLPA and I don't give a damn who's "leading" it. The players know about their own interests better than random tweeters and stupid fans - Fehr is the right man for the job precisely because he won't give in to pressure from Pierre fkn Lebrun's mouthbreating followers.
Fact is players OV and Couture have shown that they have no clue how numbers work. Most of them never completed their high school diplomas. There's a reason that Jagr just said that most players didn't know the exact details of the recent proposals before many are busy playing in Europe.

Fact is many of us here took advanced accounting and multivariable calculus courses.

Good job insulting your own fanbase BTW.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:47 AM
CN_paladin

When Fehr's past proposals were based on growth projections, players never had any issues with that.

When NHL's latest proposal was based on growth projections, Fehr suddenly sees a huge issue with it.

It's something so blatantly obvious yet some people categorically refuse to see it.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:26 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
When Fehr's past proposals were based on growth projections, players never had any issues with that.

When NHL's latest proposal was based on growth projections, Fehr suddenly sees a huge issue with it.

It's something so blatantly obvious yet some people categorically refuse to see it.
that's the first thing that rushed through my head when I read Elliot Freidman's blog last night after the Bulldogs game. Talk about a double standard.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:43 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

Since you are such a "smart" fan, how many NHL games have you seen this season?

Or are you in the same boat as the "stupid" fans?

Donald Fehr ass kissing regards............

Old
11-10-2012, 01:51 PM

Sad to see fans bickering and taking sides with the players or owners...neither side cares about the fan when it comes to this lockout, so why would you choose to side with either, its quite puzzling.

Bettman is a weasel who represents the interest of 30 other weasels...and IMO, as a fan, there's nothing more insulting then reading tweets/comments from players trying to gain sympathy from fans or trying to make fans believe that they give a damn about them.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:06 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Sad to see fans bickering and taking sides with the players or owners...neither side cares about the fan when it comes to this lockout, so why would you choose to side with either, its quite puzzling.

Bettman is a weasel who represents the interest of 30 other weasels...and IMO, as a fan, there's nothing more insulting then reading tweets/comments from players trying to gain sympathy from fans or trying to make fans believe that they give a damn about them.
I think both sides share the blame but the fact that so many players have made it sound like they just wanted to play hockey and understand the numerical side of the proposals being discussed (OV, Couture, etc) is so insulting for the fans like myself.

How can a guy like Suter complain to the public and then backtrack the very next day when he had already pocketed 10M dollars for staying home ? Meanwhile, Selanne and Alfredsson have probably played the last game of their great careers.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Protest the Hero

Guys how can they possibly live reducing their weekly grocery bill from $5000 to $2500.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Estimated_Prophet

This entire thread is nothing short of pathetic. This is a negotiaiting process that was necessary due to the fact that the current system wasn't working. We will have hockey this season as both sides are well aware of what date they need to have an agreement in place in order to salvage the season. Until they are on the eve of that date nothing will be finalized as this is the ONLY way for adversarial bargaining units to determine each other's bottom line.

Anybody who has drank the cool-aid from either side should be embarrassed. You really don't have to be very bright to figure this out.....even I could do it

Old
11-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Not sure how you can 100% anybody over this lockout.
Fact that both side let it go to where we are today is pathetic, and both have proven not to care all that much about the fans. When you hear guys like Ovie or Kovalchuk say they could very well stay in the KHL if there's salary rollbacks, then they show that what they really care about is money.
Or even Cole when he says he might just retire.
How much can these guys actually, actually, care about fans?
Neither side have shown the slightest care for fans, and I'm overly bothered by it, after all this is a business and businesses are about cash. What's annoying is the fact they're pretending to care.

If they truly cared about the fans, and not making us go through another year without hockey, then get your ***** in those meeting rooms, meet every freaking day, all day, until you resolve the damn issue. There was absolutely no need for this to drag for as long as it has and still is.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

There ain't no love of the game here....both sides are being moronic.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're both right, but at the end of the day, you're both losing money....well, except for maybe Phoenix or Florida, or...

And what both sides don't factor in is the intangible cost of lost fans...sure the die hards will be back, but the casual and fringe fans will move on to some other form of entertainment and spend their money elsewhere.

The saddest thing of this whole process...they'll be here again when the next CBA expires....despite what both sides promise.

Pathetic.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Hahaha Fehr is right. $211M isn't enough because the NHL isn't going to grow by Year 3. Both sides are making people care less and less everyday arguing over our money. People aren't going to come back if we're just going to end up with another lockout in 4 years.
except the NHL just showed how hypocritical Fehr is and how he is not negotiating in good faith.

He makes proposals off of "growth" yet when NHL does this its "well what if the league doesnt grow."

Just goes to show Fehr didnt believe in his own proposals.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

I'm not really on anyone's side although it may seem like I'm swayed by the owners in some aspect. I just don't really see what the problem is...I LOVE hockey and if I could play like even the crappiest player in the league I'd still be making more money than any teacher and pretty much any doctor in this world...ya know those people that actually have some merit in this world B!tches stop whining and get back on your skates and entertain us. You have the best damn job in the world!! it's not even a freakin job it's supposed to be fun!

End rant

Old
11-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:
You can't say that both sides are equally at fault - just like you can't say that both Republicans and Democrats are equally bad. Doing so is committing the fallacy of fairness (look it up, very interesting).
I'm not sure YOU understand the fallacy of fairness. Fallacy of fairness can be summarized as "life is not fair". But you are precisely arguing that the NHLPA are just in their fight.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:51 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
I'm not sure YOU understand the fallacy of fairness. Fallacy of fairness can be summarized as "life is not fair". But you are precisely arguing that the NHLPA are just in their fight.
I think he meant false equivalence. Look there are going to be fans who did take multivariate calculus (ok, we're so impressed) and those who did not. That doesn't mean all fans know what is going on based on morsels of information, most of which I don't think even the accounting majors have. I don't think you can blame many people for being upset and while I think it's true that their analyses are driven more by wanting a quick resolution that anything else, this whole thing -- from the inside and in the public sphere, it's a huge clusterfck. One can manipulate numbers in this case to favour either side. I'm just trying not to pay attention until it gets resolved. If I did, I'd be really suffering from the effects of the lockout. Also, people are bashing Pierre Lebrun? The guy is one of the most honest and objective in the business IMO.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:29 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not sure how you can 100% anybody over this lockout.
Fact that both side let it go to where we are today is pathetic, and both have proven not to care all that much about the fans. When you hear guys like Ovie or Kovalchuk say they could very well stay in the KHL if there's salary rollbacks, then they show that what they really care about is money.
Or even Cole when he says he might just retire.
How much can these guys actually, actually, care about fans?
Neither side have shown the slightest care for fans, and I'm overly bothered by it, after all this is a business and businesses are about cash. What's annoying is the fact they're pretending to care.

If they truly cared about the fans, and not making us go through another year without hockey, then get your ***** in those meeting rooms, meet every freaking day, all day, until you resolve the damn issue. There was absolutely no need for this to drag for as long as it has and still is.
Are you actually criticizing Ovie and Kovalchuk for the fact that they are in North America for the money?

Why else do you think they would leave their family and friends and home culture? To drink Coors Light and eat at McDonalds? No, they come here because the salaries are higher, of course.

If they resolve the issue on time, it is only because it is in their own financial interests. You really need to abandon this hypothesis that either the owners or the players are motivated by altruism or would ever be motivated by altruism in any conceivable world.

Ultimately, the owners look after the owners, the NHLPA looks after the players, and the fans need to look after themselves. It's not the players' or the owners' jobs to look after the fans, to "care" (which you underlined, bolded, and italicized) about your pain. If you're suffering from the lockout, it is important that you find another hobby, and it is your responsibility to do so.

I'm sick of hearing "what about the fans". Here's the deal with the fans. We are collectively denied the opportunity this year to spend 3.8 billion dollars and maybe a billion man-hours or more into hockey this year, we are denied the opportunity to financially support players with salaries between ten and hundred times higher than ours, and owners with net worths a million times higher than ours. If we can't find anything better to do with that spectacular opportunity, then we are the ones at fault. I for one may be spending less time watching games, which means I'm spending more time watching other things.

We will certainly all go back craving more action when the game resumes.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:37 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
except the NHL just showed how hypocritical Fehr is and how he is not negotiating in good faith.

He makes proposals off of "growth" yet when NHL does this its "well what if the league doesnt grow."

Just goes to show Fehr didnt believe in his own proposals.
No, it's a standard thing in union-employer relations.

The question is whether the burden of risk should be shouldered by the employees or the employers.

A good example is pensions. Unions (in general) prefer defined-benefit schemes where the employer takes on the risks, and employers prefer member-directed schemes where the employees take on the risks.

Note that the converse also happened here. Gary Bettman and Jeremy Jacobs rejected a deal from the union that assumed growth, but now they are offering a deal that assumes growth. They are perfectly ok assuming growth if it is the players and not the owners who take on the risk, and thus their attitude is symmetric to that of Fehr's.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-11-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 12:38 AM
DAChampion

@RenLavoieRDS
Tough meeting today. Talks were good this week but some say its because Jeremy Jacobs was not there...until today.

https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS

Jacobs is coming off as kind of dim for supporting a lockout. The Bruins are profitable, and their team is a bona-fide stanley cup contender built on 35 year-old Zdeno Chara. I'd think every season is precious to Boston.

I can better understand the position of Craig Leipold of the Minnesota Wild. He has a great farm system, and he just signed Suter and Parise to expensive long-term deals. There is no better season for his organization to throw away than 2012-2013. He can slash his financial committments to Suter and Parise (and Koivu), and his prospects who are still developing can be signed to 5-year ELCs at inexpensive cap hits. Further, they stand to get a better draft pick from the lottery than from playing the season.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-11-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 02:16 AM
DAChampion

On the Bruins board, a fan posted incontrovertible truth that Jeremy Jacobs knew that a large swath of the season would be cut:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1281787

Old
11-11-2012, 04:00 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Fact is players OV and Couture have shown that they have no clue how numbers work. Most of them never completed their high school diplomas. There's a reason that Jagr just said that most players didn't know the exact details of the recent proposals before many are busy playing in Europe.

Fact is many of us here took advanced accounting and multivariable calculus courses.

Good job insulting your own fanbase BTW.
good on ya.

the players ? meh, they'll hire an accountant that will probably make more than you ever will to manage their money...

Closed Thread