HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Sec108

vCash: 500
Lucky the Spits stayed close in this one.I was thinking that this could be the decisive game and tipping point in terms of trade if the game went 7-1 Whalers.Pav comes up big AGAIN.

Prob. with our trade talk,who is out there of any value right now to get.?

Should we wait till trade deadline and do a smaller rebuild???

Or will this team after minor tweaking over achieve next year???

Big Q for WR.

My opinion is a small rebuild, but still think this team wont be ready for a Mem Cup run next yr. and dont think we would get it anyway.We need a goal scorer or 2.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:30 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Lucky the Spits stayed close in this one.I was thinking that this could be the decisive game and tipping point in terms of trade if the game went 7-1 Whalers.Pav comes up big AGAIN.

Prob. with our trade talk,who is out there of any value right now to get.?

Should we wait till trade deadline and do a smaller rebuild???

Or will this team after minor tweaking over achieve next year???

Big Q for WR.

My opinion is a small rebuild, but still think this team wont be ready for a Mem Cup run next yr. and dont think we would get it anyway.We need a goal scorer or 2.
He answered your question. Changes will be made.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/11...-3-to-whalers/

Can't blame Warren he has rode this group for around a year and there aren't signs of them breaking through. Strong comments saying that the coaches care more than some of the players. This group is the complete opposite of the core from the 07/08 season to 09/10. I imagine any player Rychel moves there won't be any tears shed.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Libbs

What deals are there to be made and what assets do we have that people would want?

It goes without saying that Rychel, Vail, HoSang and Seiloff are untouchables... everyone else is fair game. But really who would want anyone outside of those 4?

Old
11-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Hawks3

Whats up with that normaly you may see 1 too many men panalties 4 or 5 games but Windsor seems to make a habbit of it. They may even be past last years total. Im sure they lead the league.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
What deals are there to be made and what assets do we have that people would want?

It goes without saying that Rychel, Vail, HoSang and Seiloff are untouchables... everyone else is fair game. But really who would want anyone outside of those 4?
When you're dealing with 17/18 yr olds I think teams are still willing to see if there is change-of-scenery cases with the youngsters.

Maletta, Bateman, Johnson, Clarke, Ebert, Marchese will hold certain value.

I don't know what Johnson's problem is this year, he was a slow starter last year as well, but did he buy into his own press clippings after being drafted or something? I still don't see him being traded though.

I think Maletta, Bateman, Clarke and possibly Ebert will be the ones dangled aggressively. I also think Emerson Clark has to go if we can bring in an OA with more offensive upside. We need to add a scoring second line center and we need a PPQB back on defence. Clarke will be a good third line center/checker/face-off guy on a contender. Bateman and Maletta could go to a rebuild team - both first round picks last year a team could look to add them to their young core and willing to give up an 18 yr old if they see themselves a couple years away.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:19 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
When you're dealing with 17/18 yr olds I think teams are still willing to see if there is change-of-scenery cases with the youngsters.

I don't know what Johnson's problem is this year, he was a slow starter last year as well, but did he buy into his own press clippings after being drafted or something? I still don't see him being traded though.

I think Maletta, Bateman, Clarke and possibly Ebert will be the ones dangled aggressively. I also think Emerson Clark has to go if we can bring in an OA with more offensive upside. We need to add a scoring second line center and we need a PPQB back on defence. Clarke will be a good third line center/checker/face-off guy on a contender. Bateman and Maletta could go to a rebuild team - both first round picks last year a team could look to add them to their young core and willing to give up an 18 yr old if they see themselves a couple years away.
You can throw Devlin in that mix as well I bet. I agree with most of what you say. I am not sure if Rychel and Boughner are talking about Maletta only because he didn't play last night unless they are talking in general about the coaches caring more. I would promote Graeme Brown and take my lumps, the D can't be worse than it already is. The hard part is finding a partner I would suggest Peterborough but they really don't have a GM so I imagine any decision has to go through ownership. Players of interest should be Koekkoekk, Nosad, Murphy, Varga, Quine, Ritchie(if he's healthy). I can't find another team out there that would want to shake things up, Ottawa giving up Monahan would be a dream for Windsor but it's not going to happen.

I guess you really hope Kokhlachev joins the fold, they need to go all out to secure Nick Schmaltz now as well. Colts were able to get Brendan Lemieux giving up North Dakota. Schmaltz has been great in GB but to even get him in the fold for next year is imperative. Also keep an eye on November 14th that is the early signing day for college hockey. If guys like Butcher and Allen sign there's a good chance you won't see them show in Windsor. If they hold off until the late signing period your chances are much improved. Another team that might be a partner for trade is Sudbury.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Libbs

Quote:

I agree with this... except don't want to sell off Maletta this early. I still think he can be an impact player once he finds that consistency. Last year was really the worst year he could have asked for and it has put him well behind other prospects from last years draft.

Also, any deal involving Ebert will be selling low on him considering how much we paid for him. Same goes for Bateman.

As well... what could be possible targets on other teams?

Old
11-10-2012, 10:51 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Wont be easy trading some of the above players,interestingly 4 of the players u mentioned have gold edc pkgs,Maletta,Bateman,Johnson,
and Ebert,u can also toss in Marchese,although when the Spitfires got him Erie kept the designation and the Spits agree to the edc part
I think Marchese is safe has been the hottest spit scoring wise in the past 12 games,he has 11 pts in his last 8 games played,his absence was felt the previous 2 games prior to his return
As I said dealing the above wont be easy on a couple u might the trading partner to take the designation and u cover the edc costs if a player bombs out,u are also dealing with no trade clauses as well
I get some guys may have to go,I can see Bateman,Schoenmakers,Maletta,
Clark and Clarke,probably not Ebert, as bait,not that I am advocating any
Potential trading partners could be Erie,Peterborough,Sudbury,Kitchener,Kingston,Ottaw a,and maybe London,though those teams rarely deal with one another
There is also the Koko situation which should be clearer by Monday
The only players safe in my view would be Vail,Marchese,Rychel,HoSang,
Posa,Dekort,Seiloff,and possibly Pavelka
With Pavelka u have to decide if he returns next year taking 2 spots up an O/A and Euro,when u have 2 -1st rd euro picks,and 3 open O/A spots because Windsor has no 93 born players on the roster except Pavelka looking to next yr
The OHL sanctions against Windsor really hurts for trade possibilities as well,Warren after restocking now taken away,made worse by the lose of 2 1st rders puts a real kink in deals
You talk of a 2nd line center,good luck with that,teams unwilling to deal in that area though i get what u mean,there is a definite need to add scoring
The fact that 3 or 4 guys are not scoring enough adds to the woes of this team
I tried to scour the league in search of potential trades and here are my findings,note these are proposed deals,if anything they may be intriguing if not realistic,any views are welcome
Here they are,in no particular order
Trade proposal #1-
Windsor trades Cen M.Clarke and Def,A,Bateman to Peterborough for Cen Alan Quine and Def Trevor Murphy- trade rationale-Quine a former 1st rder gives Windsor a leg #1 center with O/a possibilities,gold pkc in Quine for a gold edc in Bateman,Murphy who has struggled in Peter this season is the same age as Bateman and has similair skills ,and has more bite to his game
Trade Proposal #2-
Windsor trades Cen/RW Jordan Maletta to Erie for Lw Steven Harper- trade rational- Erie looking for more physicality gets one in Maletta,they thought about drafting Maletta originally,I get the feeling they would like Harper to be more physical not his game,Windsor likes Harper,both are 17, both 1st rders with same edc packs makes this trade a possible win-win for both,Maletta with size and some skill,for Harper who has decent size,with a nice skill package

Those are 2 deals that I would consider,others are forthcoming stay tuned

Old
11-10-2012, 10:55 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
You can throw Devlin in that mix as well I bet. I agree with most of what you say. I am not sure if Rychel and Boughner are talking about Maletta only because he didn't play last night unless they are talking in general about the coaches caring more. I would promote Graeme Brown and take my lumps, the D can't be worse than it already is. The hard part is finding a partner I would suggest Peterborough but they really don't have a GM so I imagine any decision has to go through ownership. Players of interest should be Koekkoekk, Nosad, Murphy, Varga, Quine, Ritchie(if he's healthy). I can't find another team out there that would want to shake things up, Ottawa giving up Monahan would be a dream for Windsor but it's not going to happen.

I guess you really hope Kokhlachev joins the fold, they need to go all out to secure Nick Schmaltz now as well. Colts were able to get Brendan Lemieux giving up North Dakota. Schmaltz has been great in GB but to even get him in the fold for next year is imperative. Also keep an eye on November 14th that is the early signing day for college hockey. If guys like Butcher and Allen sign there's a good chance you won't see them show in Windsor. If they hold off until the late signing period your chances are much improved. Another team that might be a partner for trade is Sudbury.
I agree about getting Schmaltz and Evan Allen,throw the gold packs at them,I think Windsor has 1 to play with,hopefully u can move one to free up another
At least this coming year with no 1st rder an automatic pkg is not neccessary

Old
11-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Spitsfan67*

This is Great news, I remember when Warren Rychel said we have one of the best three line combos in the league and I was literally laughing out loud, the ONLY proven forwards before this season were Kerby Rychel, Vail, and Shoenmakers everyone else was unproven and they were hoping would break out, well guess what it hasent happened so make 2 or 3 trades and get 3 or 4 players that can get it done, best thing to get is 2 or 3 94/95 Forwards that will be here next year and 1/2 93/94 Defenceman that will be here next year. Everyone Should be in play other then Rychel, Vail, Shoenmakers, Ho-Sang, Sanvido, Sieloff, Dekort and maybe Marchese for now.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:16 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
This is Great news, I remember when Warren Rychel said we have one of the best three line combos in the league and I was literally laughing out loud, the ONLY proven forwards before this season were Kerby Rychel, Vail, and Shoenmakers everyone else was unproven and they were hoping would break out, well guess what it hasent happened so make 2 or 3 trades and get 3 or 4 players that can get it done, best thing to get is 2 or 3 94/95 Forwards that will be here next year and 1/2 93/94 Defenceman that will be here next year. Everyone Should be in play other then Rychel, Vail, Shoenmakers, Ho-Sang, Sanvido, Sieloff, Dekort and maybe Marchese for now.
Agree with everything u say except Schoenmakers may be expendable seeing that he wont be back next yr,his production has been ok would like to see a few more pts out of him

Old
11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Agree with everything u say except Schoenmakers may be expendable seeing that he wont be back next yr,his production has been ok would like to see a few more pts out of him
Yea I was just thinking that, if it's for the right price or in the right deal WR should keep his ears open.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:32 PM
hockeylegend11

Other moves i would make are
#1- Trade LW Emerson Clark to Kit for C-LW Domenic Alberga,both overagers,Kitch can use some toughness especially with Czinder on his way out,while Alberga can play all forward spots ,brings enery and grit
#2- I would sign Rw Alex Morgan|94| born winger currently playing for Chatham ,waived by SSM,big body forward,with toughness,
These 2 moves would solidify the bottom half of Windsor"s forwards,resulting in size ,grit and hard work at little cost

Old
11-10-2012, 12:39 PM
hockeylegend11

This is how the lineup would after my proposed deals,as well as including the return of Alex Khoklachev

Forwards
Koko-Rychel-Marchese
Quine-Vail-Harper
Hosang-Schoenmakers-Johnson
Alberga-Bilcke-Morgan
spares- Studnicka,Verbeek-JR-B if possible
Defence
Ebert-Seiloff
Murphy-Devlin
Posa-Sanvido
spares= McNaughton,Bowen

Goalies- Pavelka-Dekort

Note- If Koko decides not to return
move each center up 1 line,add Studnicka to fourth line

Old
11-10-2012, 01:02 PM
OHLTG

Legend - I don't want Alberga here. The guy plays a style I can't stand; the "I'm gonna chirp the hell out of you, then skate away every time." At least Ott, Downie, and Schoenmakers drop the mitts.

The thing about Morgan is he's not scoring worth a damn in Jr B. He doesn't help us out.

My list of untouchables: Vail, Rychel, Ho-Sang, Sanvido, Sieloff, Johnson, Posa, and Bilcke.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Ottomatic

OA's are an waste on a 4th line. I'd much rather play Verbeek regularly than either Clark or Alberga. If our 3rd OA is going to be a spare part, I'd carry them as a 7th defenceman and have him in the Holden mold - just as a PP guy.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:34 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Legend - I don't want Alberga here. The guy plays a style I can't stand; the "I'm gonna chirp the hell out of you, then skate away every time." At least Ott, Downie, and Schoenmakers drop the mitts.

The thing about Morgan is he's not scoring worth a damn in Jr B. He doesn't help us out.

My list of untouchables: Vail, Rychel, Ho-Sang, Sanvido, Sieloff, Johnson, Posa, and Bilcke.
In regards to Morgan,check his past B numbers,as well 6 pts in 6 games not bad,he is a big body forward who in my view would be more productive then Bilcke,though they would play on the same line,he is the same age too
As for Alberga while I know he is a pain,still think he would be effective as a energy forward,his numbers in sarnia were not bad

Old
11-10-2012, 01:38 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
OA's are an waste on a 4th line. I'd much rather play Verbeek regularly than either Clark or Alberga. If our 3rd OA is going to be a spare part, I'd carry them as a 7th defenceman and have him in the Holden mold - just as a PP guy.
I get what u are saying,though I would like to see a guy like Verbeek get 13-15 minutes in B instead of 6-8 min a game here,at least for part of the season,also I know what u mean about O/As being fourth line guys unless your team is super talented
In the end I would rather not have 20 year old 4 th liners better for 16-17,and some 18 year olds depending on the makeup of the team

Old
11-10-2012, 01:46 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Agree with your list of untouchables except for Bilcke and Johnson
While i dont think he would be moved its unlikely Bilcke would be considered not tradeable by management,as for Johnson,while I like him alot,he has certainly struggled,would be hard to move because of his edc package,he has to continually do the things that got him drafted,not worry about scoring,his confidence is low,needs a breakout effort
I would add Dekort to the list of untouchables,plus Verbeek because he was drafted after the 1st rd,cant be moved until the summer anyways

Old
11-10-2012, 02:09 PM
hockeylegend11

Now that we hit the 20 game mark,here are some stats and notes
Spits went 4-5-0-1 in their last 10 games- 7 out of the 10 were on the road,where they went a terrible 2-5
Spits are also 1-3-0-1 in the last 5 games,going 0-3 on the road with losses to OS,Kit and Ply
Spits were 4-3-0-3 in the 1st 10 games with 7 games at home and 3 on the rd,losing their 1st at home,then going 4-2-0-3 in the next 9 games
As it pertains to the last 10 games
Chris Marchese led team in scoring with 10 pts in 7 games played,pretty good I say,while Vail and Rychel both had 9 pts during that stretch,Rychel going 7 g and 2a,Vail whose offense has dipped went 2g and 7 a
From the defense Ebert lead the way with 6 pts including 1 goal
Of concern Schoenmakers had only 5 pts,while E.Clark,Johnson,and Maletta had a combined 6pts between them,with each scoring only 1 goal
For the past 5 games,again Marchese leads the way notching 5 pts in 2 games played,3g and 2a,Rychel and Ebert collected 5 pts each,while Vail and Hosang had 4 pts ea
The next 8 forwards consisting of Schoenmakers,Johnson,Clarke and Clarke,Maletta,Studnicka,Verbeek and Bilcke combined for a total of
5 pts and only 3 goals
When 8 forwards including the likes of Clarke,Johnson,Schoemnakers and Maletta produce so little its no wonder why the spits struggle on the road,just cant pin it on the defence or goaltending
Their road play must improve

Old
11-10-2012, 02:09 PM
etr102

Quote:

Hey OHLTG, I think I saw you last night at Compuware. Were you by chance wearing a Bill Bowler jersey and a Tigers hat? I think you were behind me in the slow moving concession line in the first intermission.

If you confirm that was you, I'll actually say hi next time hehe.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:13 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Hey OHLTG, I think I saw you last night at Compuware. Were you by chance wearing a Bill Bowler jersey and a Tigers hat? I think you were behind me in the slow moving concession line in the first intermission.

If you confirm that was you, I'll actually say hi next time hehe.
That'd be me!

Old
11-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Sec108

Im just hoping that WR doesnt make a move just to shake things up if theyre's NO def. upside.

The league looks like its going to be a tight race.More can be had maybe at the deadline as teams want to make the run.

Lets forget about hosting in 14" and look to winning the O in the next couple of yrs. instead.

We won out of town before backtoback.

It seems a few players think its mission accomplished because they got drafted,,,,Wake Up kid its only the beginning.Ask the Harry Young's,Cundari's and Mitchell's etc.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:18 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Im just hoping that WR doesnt make a move just to shake things up if theyre's NO def. upside.

The league looks like its going to be a tight race.More can be had maybe at the deadline as teams want to make the run.

Lets forget about hosting in 14" and look to winning the O in the next couple of yrs. instead.

We won out of town before backtoback.

It seems a few players think its mission accomplished because they got drafted,,,,Wake Up kid its only the beginning.Ask the Harry Young's,Cundari's and Mitchell's etc.
I would agree no trade just to make a trade sake,though he meaning Rychel is generally not known for doing that
He wants to improve the team,just not an easy thing to do

Old
11-10-2012, 04:04 PM
RayzorIsDull

I think it all boils down to what the attitude is moving forward. Without a 1st rounder it really hurts the possibility of a rebuild. Ignoring the hope of a Memorial Cup it's hard to rebuild on the run like they tried to do last year and they are now paying for it. Any moves they make it's imperative to try and get a couple 2nd rounders in 2013, even if you have to deal a 2014 2nd rounder to get one for 2013. There are probably only a handful of players you wouldn't trade. There seems to be a lack of leadership right now, it's the same comments after losses they don't make adjustments and lack urgency at times.

Closed Thread