HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Kyle Beach-Is he a bust?

Old
11-05-2012, 03:23 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
I think he's still got a shot as a grinder. I remember Ducks fans wanting him bad. "Oh he's gritty and he can score, he's perfect for the Ducks". I wasn't much better. I wanted either Zach Boychuk or Tyler Myers. I wasn't too happy when we traded down for Gardiner but I guess that almost worked out in the end.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:07 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
But when Justin Schultz is the AHL player of the week, hes the next Bobby Orr
i never posted that.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I wouldn't say he's a bust yet, but I wouldn't offer more than a 2nd round pick for him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 06:49 AM
DontToewzMeBro

Saad - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Teravainen - Hossa
Beach - Bolland - Shaw
Kruger - Danault - Hayes

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:44 AM
SarcazemKadri

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...er-of-the-week

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
He was a waste of a good pick

At this point he is an absolute bust ,, If he makes it to NHL and becomes productive player I would be surprised

Best case he makes it as a 3rd/4th liner but at #11 overall you dont draft that. And the players the Hawks passed up for a guy with major flags makes it alot worse

At this point he is Ty Jones 2.0 ,, We shall see if he ever gets anywhere but right now he has done nothing to show himself to be anything but a wasted pick

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

At this point he is an absolute bust ,, If he makes it to NHL and becomes productive player I would be surprised

Best case he makes it as a 3rd/4th liner but at #11 overall you dont draft that. And the players the Hawks passed up for a guy with major flags makes it alot worse

At this point he is Ty Jones 2.0 ,, We shall see if he ever gets anywhere but right now he has done nothing to show himself to be anything but a wasted pick
I truly admire your ability to stick to your guns. Honestly, it's refreshing. I would, obviously, disagree though. What was the scouting report on Beach when he was drafted? Talented, big, physical, edgy but had problems with skating, knowing when to 'pick his battles', and maturity. In the AHL so far, he's shown that he's worked on his skating, his ability to 'pick battles' at the right time, and he sure as hell seems more mature than he did when he was 18-20.

On top of that, he's still showing his talent and physicality down in the A. He's what, near PPG playing from the 3rd/4th line? If you ask me, he's proving that he has earned a more significant role (which was obvious from the get-go) and that he should be one of the first to be called up to the Hawks.

Compare him to Morin who is also physical/edgy and is given 1st/2nd line minutes. Except Morin's skating is worse and his offensive and defensive awareness is not quite as good either. If you ask me, there's more hope in Beach cracking an NHL line-up in some capacity than Morin in the near future. The talent is there for both, but Beach is further along in his development.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Crabovski*

How the **** do you call someone a bust when they would be one of the youngest players on their pro team if they made their team. Oh ya and this is one of the best forwards crops in the league hes trying to get into. But lets just assume he cant do it at any point in his career, because he hasnt shown ME yet he can do it! Clueless fans... Hes obviously not going to be some 30 goal guy and was never expected to be that. The game hes expected to bring is one that takes a lot of maturity.

"Best case he makes it as a 3rd line grinder" - "certainly a bust"

How the hell do these 2 go hand in hand lol, not everyone you take in the first round is going to be Patty Kane, sorry.

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:40 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
How the **** do you call someone a bust when they would be one of the youngest players on their pro team if they made their team. Oh ya and this is one of the best forwards crops in the league hes trying to get into. But lets just assume he cant do it at any point in his career, because he hasnt shown ME yet he can do it! Clueless fans... Hes obviously not going to be some 30 goal guy and was never expected to be that. The game hes expected to bring is one that takes a lot of maturity.

"Best case he makes it as a 3rd line grinder" - "certainly a bust"

How the hell do these 2 go hand in hand lol, not everyone you take in the first round is going to be Patty Kane, sorry.
you don't want to draft that type of player at #11.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:28 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Agreed, but he's not a bust either as a 3rd liner. A disappointment sure, but not a bust.

I wouldn't call Daniel Cleary a bust and he spent much of his career as a 3rd liner, or worse, and he went 13th overall.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:38 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

He'll be a good third/fourth liner with Mark McNeill, like the GST Line.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:04 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Agreed, but he's not a bust either as a 3rd liner. A disappointment sure, but not a bust.

I wouldn't call Daniel Cleary a bust and he spent much of his career as a 3rd liner, or worse, and he went 13th overall.
Prettymuch. In a draft that deep you want your picks in the top 15 to turn out to be top 6/top 4 type players. So while he probably won't reach that top 6 range, he could still make a career as a 3rd liner. He'll be a disappointment, but he could still make a nice career out of being a 3rd line grinder.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:20 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

He doesn't have the mental game to make it- the professionalism.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Mikos87

I wouldn't call him a bust yet but this is his third year pro, and for a guy taken one spot away from the top ten in his draft year, not earning a single call up, even though he did miss most of last year though, means that he's been nothing short of disappointing thus far. He might be a guy who gets a change of scenery since he is close to waiver eligible. To me Beach needs to play on a team that suits his skill set and toughness, but I don't think Chicago is that place.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:09 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:

Aren't you the guy who hated Stalberg with a passion in his first year? Hopefully you'll be as wrong about Beach too

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Aren't you the guy who hated Stalberg with a passion in his first year? Hopefully you'll be as wrong about Beach too
I still hate Stalberg

But Stalberg wasn't drafted #11 and Stalberg never attacked a 5'9 euro in practice messing up his shoulder and his hopes of winning a roster spot in NA...

Not to mention though Stalberg sucks I dont doubt he would play some role as NHL/AHL tweener at worst

Beach has yet to show much at AHL level to even think he will be at NHL level soon

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
I still hate Stalberg

But Stalberg wasn't drafted #11 and Stalberg never attacked a 5'9 euro in practice messing up his shoulder and his hopes of winning a roster spot in NA...

Not to mention though Stalberg sucks I dont doubt he would play some role as NHL/AHL tweener at worst

Beach has yet to show much at AHL level to even think he will be at NHL level soon
To add to your point, because of the way the Hawks play, and have found success playing that way, a guy like Andrew Shaw fits in seamlessly and makes an impact before Beach gets a whiff is because of Shaw's quickness and guile, and being able to make the rights plays at an uptempo pace, is a reason why Kyle hasn't been able to fit in.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:49 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Goddammit... defend yourself if someone's going at you and punching you. What good does it do Olimb to just sit there and take it. You're in an NHL camp and the refs aren't doing anything, how does it benefit you to keep your stick in your hand and gloves on and not stand up for yourself.

Beach was being a puke there and probably lost his mind and it's in no way excusable, but Jesus, stand up for yourself a little and maybe the refs might have came in. You have to protect and fend for yourself out there, he's basically inviting a guy who just lost his marbles to hurt him.

And just to clarify again, that was still a huge punk move by Beach.
He's 5'9 or something silly like that. I normally would agree with you bu not when you give up half a foot on the other guy who clearly has mental issues going on....

Also insulted Lucic for his back issues and this happened:

I too would love to see a punk like that bust.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:45 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I only see about 2 forwards in the rest of that first round that are sure to be better than a 3rd liner, Ennis and Eberle. I don't think you take a 5'9 player at 11th either. You can't just gaurentee a first line player on the 11th pick. They were looking for a power forward and that was the best one out there.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I only see about 2 forwards in the rest of that first round that are sure to be better than a 3rd liner, Ennis and Eberle. I don't think you take a 5'9 player at 11th either. You can't just gaurentee a first line player on the 11th pick. They were looking for a power forward and that was the best one out there.
Dont disagree, 7-14 picks disappointing is more common than people think.

But I think you may have hit the nail on the head with that last statement, they may have reached for need. No doubt Beach was pretty highly regarded going into the draft and wasnt considered a reach at the time, but it was also definitely a defense heavy draft going in as well.

But his numbers could be worse, and he is off to a good start this year. While you would hope for more, he missed a lot of last season. Not sure if his opportunity will come in Chicago though, seems to have been passed on the depth chart by Shaw and Saad. Him and Carcillo seem to be pretty redundant as well. Sounds like he still needs to work on his skating, defense and disciprine. Big guys take more time, but he does need to take some steps this season.

I think he will find his niche in the NHL, but he doesnt seem to have the talent to overcome a ******, stupid attitude, if that is still a problem for him.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Kyle Bust - He is a Beach

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I'd take Stalberg back.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
GaryU

FWIW...Beach is off to a good start @ Rockford this year...if he does it for the whole season, we'll talk...otherwise...........

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
I'd take Stalberg back.
Only people who want to get rid of Stalberg are cuckoos and people who don't want to admit their snap judgments from three years ago were completely wrong.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Crabovski*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
Someone who understands would you look at that.

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote