30 goal grinder

vCash: 500
What a gong show...

Old
11-09-2012, 08:36 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Good god, Fehr has gone completely off the deep end. It'll be interesting to see what complete nutjobs will continue to try defend the PA on this. For reference, here's the series of tweets rynryn is referencing:

Quote:
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Told that PA proposed that players get last year's share plus 5 pct this yr regardless of schedule length/actual revenue...
Quote:
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Last year's share was 1.883B...plus 5 pct would be $1.977B...would likely eat 65-67 pct of revenue in 66-68 game season.
Quote:
Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers

@SportsnetSpec is right: @NHLPA wants '11-12 share (57%), +5% on top of it, plus $$ for full 82gm 12-13 sked, then goes up 5% every yr after
Basically, while continuing to tell the media that the players want a 50/50 split, the NHLPA has demanded a 17.5% raise over last season for year 1.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Welp, unless the NHLPA axes Fehr (and I think that might be creeping into the realm of legitimate possibility...that or a full on fracture), we can kiss the 2012-2013 season goodbye, and probably a good chung of 2013-2014 as well, if not all of that.

I wish custom titles were long enough to put "Nothing to Fear but Fehr Himself", just seems so appropriate at this point.

Fehr is ****ing insane.

Just ****ing insane.

And I have never been so tempted to circumvent the profanity filter, because I know the asterisks just wont do those sentences justice.

.......****ing insane.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:14 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Just when ya think the NHLPA couldn't sink any lower. Fehr will not budge until the league is destroyed. Congrats, players. Job well done. You're actually making the league and its owners look like a bed of roses at this point even though they were partially responsible for creating this mess. But it appears that only one side cares to dig themselves out. And it sure as hell isn't you.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

What a bunch of ridiculous crap. Fehr must go.

edit: so must my avatar

Old
11-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
hahahahaha omg...so PA is demanding players get paid full salary this year + 5% regardless of games played. This is ridiculous. go ahead and try to defend that one, FTW.
So do we have a source on this outside of someone claiming to have a source on twitter... Pretty damning if it's true, but I'd like to see this from a more credible source.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:46 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
So do we have a source on this outside of someone claiming to have a source on twitter... Pretty damning if it's true, but I'd like to see this from a more credible source.
well it's sportsnet and the ny post... neither is likely to report something like this without being fairly certain their source is legit without a disclaimer.

also funny that some have pointed out that the NHLPA was against the NHLs latest offer because the contracts will only truly be "made whole" if revenue grows by 7% when that was the number the PA kept trying to get the NHL to use at the beginning of this debacle (the NHL was working with a 5% growth estimation i believe). Yeah, the NHLPA is pretty ballsy.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:54 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
There's three journalists confirming it on Twitter, one from Sportsnet, one from NY Post, and one from the New York Daily News. In addition to that you have Russo more or less confirming it as well. That's a lot of media support for something claimed as fact for it to be made up.

Could they all have the same one or two sources who are making something up? Possible, but unlikely.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:00 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

And right after I post that...

Seems Sportsnet is recanting:

Quote:
Meanwhile reports - inaccurate it turns out - began circulating that the players were seeking a deal that started at what their share was last year ($1.883-billion) and increased in guaranteed increments of five per cent annually.
Quote:
And finally he clarified the players' proposal, acknowledging that the players do want to use the $1.883-billion they earned in aggregate last year as a starting point, but that the increases through the life of the agreement would be 1.75 per cent of HRR.
Still asking for a major raise as Fehr didn't deny that they're demanding the players be paid the full $1.883BN and not have it pro-rated based on a shortened season.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:04 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

More on Fehr's deceit.

Per that Sportsnet article, Fehr said unequivocally the league said that none of their contract terms are negotiable (but then said "well they didn't actually use those words at all"). Per the league in the CBC report, the terms on everything except the 5% variance per year are all negotiable.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:18 AM
SPMaximus
Re-sign=/=Resign

NHL2 2013/2014, played by replacement players

Old
11-10-2012, 03:34 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

So is anyone here still defending Fehr or the NHLPA as a whole?

Old
11-10-2012, 06:45 AM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

I don't know what to say. If I can't stay as objective as I can.. it's better just not to care?

I know I haven't been much pro-NHLPA. But I have so much tried to not be against players either - or not pro-NHL. Or against anyone in person, but dumbness only. It didn't go very well earlier, but can't even try to do it anymore. It's fehr too difficult. If Fehr was Bettman's PR advisor, he's done a helluva job. He's made Bettman look like a saint. And that is an Achievement.

I've got to get a life instead?

Old
11-10-2012, 09:53 AM
nickschultzfan

Bums, the lot of them.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:55 AM
nickschultzfan

Players should be allowed to unionize, but the NHL should be allowed to hire strikebreakers or negotiate deals with NHL players that actually want to play.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:08 AM
forthewild

so basically Fehr is trying to fight the cap is the gist of this issue now,

if what Russo says its true i'll buy that Fehr has lost it and is in it for his ego, if it is true players need to vote his ass out and get this deal done, any chance of defending a guy who is withholding info to go after his own agenda is not good for anyone

Old
11-10-2012, 11:46 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

At this point I would support the NHL if they started bringing in scab players. This is ridiculous.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
So is anyone here still defending Fehr or the NHLPA as a whole?
Adam Proteau is still living the dream:

As a baseball fan upset by the Expos' departure, I never imagined Don Fehr would be a sympathetic figure 8 years later. That's so Bettman.

I usually like the guy, but he is effectively become the prime cheerleader for the PA.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:02 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Adam Proteau is still living the dream:

As a baseball fan upset by the Expos' departure, I never imagined Don Fehr would be a sympathetic figure 8 years later. That's so Bettman.

I usually like the guy, but he is effectively become the prime cheerleader for the PA.
i though that was Walsh and Kipper that were sucking PA doing with out mercy?

Old
11-10-2012, 12:29 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Players should be allowed to unionize, but the NHL should be allowed to hire strikebreakers or negotiate deals with NHL players that actually want to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
At this point I would support the NHL if they started bringing in scab players. This is ridiculous.
It's a lockout, not a strike. You can't bring in scabs if you're the one officially causing the work stoppage.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
It's a lockout, not a strike. You can't bring in scabs if you're the one officially causing the work stoppage.
is there some sort of law preventing it?

Old
11-10-2012, 12:47 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
is there some sort of law preventing it?
I had thought so, but trying to find one online I found reference that employers may under some circumstances hire temporary replacements.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I had thought so, but trying to find one online I found reference that employers may under some circumstances hire temporary replacements.
My guess is there is a provision that if you show you have made legitimate offers and the other side refuses to budge you can use replacements to not let your business go under,

it would make sense tho, the PA by the day seems to be more bat**** insane.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Ceiu

I know it's a bit ridiculous to even consider, but what honestly stops the NHL from "shutting down" as the NHL, starting some "new" league and creating "new" franchises with new players, sans PA?

As far as I understand it, even with something like a 40/60 split in favor of the owners still allows these players to make millions for one of the easiest jobs on the planet. And, while I've not followed the math as closely as a number of you guys have, I'm fairly certain it'd still be enough cash to prevent a fair number of players from leaving for other leagues.

Anyway, in all honesty, I'm getting to the point where I'm not even sure I want the current players back. How do I even cheer for guys who are -- collectively -- acting like spoiled children demanding more? This whole situation just makes it clear that there's such a disconnect between our worlds. Yeah, I know I don't post a lot... but I haven't missed a Wild game in about 4 years. And yet, here I am finding myself wondering if I'll give a crap if/when the lockout ends...

Old
11-10-2012, 02:35 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceiu View Post
... still allows these players to make millions for one of the easiest jobs on the planet. And, while I've not followed the math as closely as a number of you guys have, I'm fairly certain it'd still be enough cash to prevent a fair number of players from leaving for other leagues. ...
It's definitely not one of the easiest jobs on the planet. It's a 24/7 job. Average retirement is in the late twenties, so you really want to make the money to ensure that you can eat well after your job has ended. It's really tiring both physically and mentally. Even if it was your dream job.

Closed Thread