HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Cup of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Hockey Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

U18 4 Nations Tournament, Ann Arbor, Nov. 6-10

Old
11-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Huffman

vCash: 500
Hägg and Wallmark were not good this game. Skating seems to be a major concern for Wallmark, he is going to have big problems on higher levels if he doesn't improve it. Anton Karlsson and Nylander (both 96) I thought had a good game and were among the better players on the swedish team. Other good players were Wilhelm Westlund and Alexander Henriksson. The best player on the ice was Kevin Fiala, Switzerland (also 96), he scored a beautiful goal and was dangerous all game.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Finland up 2-1 against Sweden after 2nd. SWE continues to take alot of penalites, anyone watching the game?

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:24 PM
joe89

Word on the street(twitter) is that Finland's goalie is very good.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Hockeyfrilla

SWE won 3-2

Old
11-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Word on the street(twitter) is that Finland's goalie is very good.
He was indeed.

For Team Sweden the only forward who really stood out for me was Nylander, damn that kid is skilled. What impressed me the most though was our strong group of d-men, sharp outlet passes and solid play throughout. Cederholm and Hägg played an especially mature game I think.

These were our lines, at least in the second period:

Altelius Nylander - Wallmark - Karlsson
Bristedt - Crus Rydberg - Henriksson
Fyrpihl - Öhman - Kempe
Gunnarsson - Johansson - Liljendahl
Blidh

Hägg - Eidstedt
Bergman - Westlund
Hansson - Cederholm
Dahlström

Johansson

Fregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Josh Deitell

Huge huge upset by Switzerland today. The result of two lucky goals that deflected off US players, a lot of persistence, and some fantastic goaltending from Daniel Guntern, especially in the shootout.

Here are the lines from today:

Sweden
Altelius Nylander - Wallmark - Karlsson
Bristedt - Crus Rydberg - Henriksson
Kempe - Öhman - Fyrpihl
Gunnarsson - Liljendahl - Johansson
Blidh

Hägg - Eidstedt
Westlund - Bergman
Cederholm - Hansson
Dahlström

Johansson

-----

Finland
Antonen - Kinnunen - Kapanen
Puhakka - Ainali - Ojamäki
Siiki - Rauhala - Westermarck
Kiviranta - Ojantakanen - Lahtinen
Koivistoinen

Lintuniemi - Honka
Ilvonen - Mäkinen
Kuronen - Autio
Mäkelä

Saros

-----

USA
Motte - Eiserman - Labanc
Louis - Malone - Fasching
Hurley - Cook - Hayden
Allen - Kelleher - McCarron

Savage - Clifton
Ausmus - Santini
Lewis - Hamilton
Butcher - Thompson

Miska

-----

Switzerland
Bandiera - Hischier - Wieser
Fiala - Fuchs - Rathgeb
Hinterkircher - Brandli - Meier
Pfranger - Aeschlimann - Marchon

Busser - Baltisberger
Dufner - Kindschi
Wildhaber - Molina
Dupertuis

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:54 PM
joe89

Nice, close games so far. Just what you want out of a tournament like this. A good chance to get a look at who thrives when the game gets tight.

As far as teams going to the final, things got a bit interesting.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:36 AM
RyanHPscout

I was there for the first two days on Tuesday and Wednesday. There's a day off, so I'm back in Canada and heading up to Guelph tonight for the Subway Super Series, then back to Ann Arbor for the last two days. USA Hockey has done an unbelieveable job hosting from a scouting side of this event. I have been to some events that haven't been the best, but this one is right up there with the absolute best, most organized events I've been to. Actually I can say the same for the Subway Super Series in Blainville-Boisbriand. That is not the easiest rink to set up a big event like that but they did a great job as well. Plenty of NHL GM's, directors of scouting, head scouts and scouts. The Four Nations has been a popular event, although I believe the numbers will drop as some travel to the U20's in Sweden.

The Switzerland win throws a wrench in the simple planning of the Gold Medal Game. If USA would have won in regulation, it would have guarenteed a SWE/USA final regardless of what happens Friday, but now it's a great big mess in the standings and Friday will all of a sudden be very important in determining the gold medal game.

I saw a fair amount of the players on Sweden at the U17's and I've seen this USA team a fair amount already. We currently have Robert Hagg out of the first round and I think he showed several reasons why he is out in the first game. Mind you he was a lot better the second day. It's going to be a big two days in terms of figuring him out as a prospect. It's interesting how you can have some guys figured out in 2 or 3 shifts, and others take much longer. Wallmark I was a little disappointed in his performance thus far. Especially for someone playing on the top line. Anton Karlsson has been all over the ice. No matter what the situation #28 always seems to be in the middle of it. He and Nylander are going to absolutely dominate the U17's next month. Nylander certainly is a treat to watch out there.

Finland I don't think has played to their potential. Saros has been solid in net in both games. He's faced a ton of action. Again there's some 2014's standing out, guys like Julius Honka has been their most reliable D and he's also their youngest. I've seen Kapanen before and he's not playing to his potential just yet. The whole Finland team just looks a little out of sync, but they've been able to hang in there, they're 0-2 but easily could be 2-0. Goaltending has been a huge part of that.

We'll be doing a wrap up of the tournament on the Hockey Prospect website and we'll be doing a couple player features. Not sure who and what but I'm sure there will be one for Sweden and Finland. Also those who have seen our product before know what I mean when I say we'll have game reports filed from all of these games.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
Finland I don't think has played to their potential. Saros has been solid in net in both games. He's faced a ton of action. Again there's some 2014's standing out, guys like Julius Honka has been their most reliable D and he's also their youngest. I've seen Kapanen before and he's not playing to his potential just yet. The whole Finland team just looks a little out of sync, but they've been able to hang in there, they're 0-2 but easily could be 2-0. Goaltending has been a huge part of that.
I don’t think there’s much more to be expected from this group of Finnish players, missing Barkov, Lehkonen, Ikonen, Mustonen and Tanus means that there’s very little leadership on that team. With better luck the Sweden game could have ended differently, but Saros was a big reason why Finland was competitive in that game. The USA game was definitely a lopsided affair, Finland only had a handful of scoring chances. Honka has some fairly nice attributes for a D, but he’s awfully small so at this point his draft chances seem quite slim. Hopefully there’s still some growth left in him. Kapanen has been a disappointment every time I’ve seen him this season, a few flashes here and there but that’s not what you expect from someone who’s supposed to be the top Finn in 2014.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:40 PM
joe89

Quote:
I was there for the first two days on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Thanks for the write-up. Nylander as a big talent is well-known at this point I guess, leading SuperElit thus far in scoring as a 16 yo. Anton Karlsson hasn't been hyped much yet but just recently got bumped to the J20 club team where he has had a great start. Good size on the kid aswell, already bigger than his brother. Do you have any notes on Crus-Rydberg?

Old
11-08-2012, 05:52 PM
RyanHPscout

Quote:
Thanks for the write-up. Nylander as a big talent is well-known at this point I guess, leading SuperElit thus far in scoring as a 16 yo. Anton Karlsson hasn't been hyped much yet but just recently got bumped to the J20 club team where he has had a great start. Good size on the kid aswell, already bigger than his brother. Do you have any notes on Crus-Rydberg?
Nylander just needs to be willing to pass at times sometimes he runs around and forgets he has teammates on occasion. Karlsson has some things to work on but as you mentioned the size, combined with the skill, he has interesting potential. I actually have a lot of notes on Crus-Rydberg. I had to make more room on my sheet cause there was so much to say. I was surprised they didn't move him up to the first line (although playing with Bristedt isn't bad, he just seemed to have better chemestry with Karlsson when they were both out same time). He looks great out there, he never quits and there's some definite talent there. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does the next 2 games, and I hope he continues to perform well because he's definitely going to be considered a riser if he can maintain this level of play when the big games come up. Of the players I've yet to see in person, he has probably left me with the biggest impact at the midway point of this event.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Josh Deitell

Quote:
I saw a fair amount of the players on Sweden at the U17's and I've seen this USA team a fair amount already. We currently have Robert Hagg out of the first round and I think he showed several reasons why he is out in the first game. Mind you he was a lot better the second day. It's going to be a big two days in terms of figuring him out as a prospect. It's interesting how you can have some guys figured out in 2 or 3 shifts, and others take much longer. Wallmark I was a little disappointed in his performance thus far. Especially for someone playing on the top line. Anton Karlsson has been all over the ice. No matter what the situation #28 always seems to be in the middle of it. He and Nylander are going to absolutely dominate the U17's next month. Nylander certainly is a treat to watch out there.
Agree on Hägg. He's a big kid but I get the feeling he's trying to impress the eyes watching with big hits on every shift. I have been very surprised at how terrible the Swedes have been with the puck in their own end. I guess you get spoiled by the puckmovers that they've been churning out lately but they don't have a single guy who has had a real handle on breaking the puck out. On top of that, some of them have been so casual with blind passes behind their net and across the middle that I have to wonder why their coach hasn't just told them to bank it out off the glass when they get the chance. Watching Hägg casually carry the puck up the middle looking for an option while coasting on his skates with backcheckers bringing pressure from behind is ridiculous. Maybe he's trying to look poised. I don't get it.

Quote:
Honka has been good but he's been getting crushed physically. They have big, slow guys and small, weak puckmovers with nothing in between. Strange group. You see flashes from players and then they disappear on their next shift. Nobody has been able to string anything together.

Cannot believe USA has been so snakebitten. They're still the team to beat but they really need to start putting away their chances.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:12 PM
joe89

Most seem to have an own (different) opinion of Hägg so I'm not surprised. The Swedish management thought he was one of the best three players in the game against Finland though.. I will have to watch a couple of games myself. Krupic is my personal favorite among the -95 D's but for some reason he isn't here. Would've surely improved the breakout a fair bit anyway.

I think the fact that the last group game means something will bring the best out of USA and Sweden. They've gotten a couple of so-so games out of the way now.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Josh Deitell

Quote:
Most seem to have an own (different) opinion of Hägg so I'm not surprised. The Swedish management thought he was one of the best three players in the game against Finland though.. I will have to watch a couple of games myself. Krupic is my personal favorite among the -95 D's but for some reason he isn't here. Would've surely improved the breakout a fair bit anyway.

I think the fact that the last group game means something will bring the best out of USA and Sweden. They've gotten a couple of so-so games out of the way now.
He was much better against Finland but showed some of the same strange decision making.

Case in point, in the Swiss game he went for a huge hipcheck on the near boards and completely missed, crashing ass-first into the glass before falling to the ice.

In the Finland game he went for another one and half-connected, then kind of fell on top of the Finnish player.

In neither situation should he have gone for the hit.

I will say that his shot from the point is outstanding. I think that's been the biggest positive I've taken from his game so far.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:34 PM
RyanHPscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
I don’t think there’s much more to be expected from this group of Finnish players, missing Barkov, Lehkonen, Ikonen, Mustonen and Tanus means that there’s very little leadership on that team. With better luck the Sweden game could have ended differently, but Saros was a big reason why Finland was competitive in that game. The USA game was definitely a lopsided affair, Finland only had a handful of scoring chances. Honka has some fairly nice attributes for a D, but he’s awfully small so at this point his draft chances seem quite slim. Hopefully there’s still some growth left in him. Kapanen has been a disappointment every time I’ve seen him this season, a few flashes here and there but that’s not what you expect from someone who’s supposed to be the top Finn in 2014.
Honka to me, if he's 6'1" he's challenging for the first round. He is small, but I do think he will get drafted regardless. One example I like to use it Matt Grzelcyk who got drafted in the 3rd round by Boston. As much as I liked him and found him talented, that was a surprise because of how small he is. Honka likely sees the same situation if he doesn't grow. It's the same deal where he's just too talented not to get picked, but size will affect where he gets picked.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:38 PM
RyanHPscout

Quote:

Hagg was much better in the game against Finland. We left Hagg out of the first round a few weeks ago, and that was considered an omission by some. We've seen enough of him that it wasn't something we worried about, and felt we made the right decision. His game against Switzerland confirmed our current ranking. Against Finland he played like a first rounder. With the next 2 games having the potential to be very important it will be interesting to see which Robert Hagg comes to play.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:59 AM
Hockeycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post

Oops

Last edited by Hockeycan: 11-14-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Hockeycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

I didn't watch the game against Switzerland so I can't say anything about Hägg's performance that night, but I have seen a number of games with him on the Modo junior team this year and what I saw in the Finland game was pretty much a standard performance for Hägg.

Old
11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
joe89

Finland's winning over Switzerland so I assume Sweden and USA will be going to the final no matter what happens tonight.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Energetic first period.

Old
11-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Hockeyfrilla

USA won 5-3 against Sweden. Hägg had 2 goals.

Old
11-10-2012, 05:33 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Honka to me, if he's 6'1" he's challenging for the first round. He is small, but I do think he will get drafted regardless. One example I like to use it Matt Grzelcyk who got drafted in the 3rd round by Boston. As much as I liked him and found him talented, that was a surprise because of how small he is. Honka likely sees the same situation if he doesn't grow. It's the same deal where he's just too talented not to get picked, but size will affect where he gets picked.
Honka sees the ice quite well, is a smooth skater, and has pretty good puck skills and a decent shot. On the other hand he’s not particularly fast and that I see as a problem for a D his size. Moving the puck under pressure and finding an open lane would be much easier with added speed, and that’s not mentioning the benefits to defensive side of the game. At 5’11’’ with some added strength and speed there might be something to consider in the later rounds, but at 5’9’’ I’m not seeing it, he’s not that special IMO. Opinions naturally differ and I appreciate that you shared some of your views with us.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:57 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
USA won 5-3 against Sweden. Hägg had 2 goals.

Sweden always lose against USA. Weird....

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:06 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Sweden always lose against USA. Weird....
Whenever I watch Sweden-USA at this level, USA always seems to have the better coaching. They're a well-oiled machine and the coaches know how to get the best out of their players. Grönborg couldn't get his players to be disciplined to save his life. Switzerland had 6 PP's, Finland had 8 PP's and USA had 9 PP's in the games against Sweden. Sweden meanwhile has had 3, 5 and 6 respectively. This is a real issue for Sweden at U18 level and has been for quite some time imo. It's also an issue that stems from our national officiating, Swedish refs are way too tolerant.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Josh Deitell

Quote:
Whenever I watch Sweden-USA at this level, USA always seems to have the better coaching. They're a well-oiled machine and the coaches know how to get the best out of their players. Grönborg couldn't get his players to be disciplined to save his life. Switzerland had 6 PP's, Finland had 8 PP's and USA had 9 PP's in the games against Sweden. Sweden meanwhile has had 3, 5 and 6 respectively. This is a real issue for Sweden at U18 level and has been for quite some time imo. It's also an issue that stems from our national officiating, Swedish refs are way too tolerant.
I think the biggest factor with this particular tourney is that this US team has been playing together now for months. The chemistry is pretty apparent on every line.