HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 roster

Old
11-08-2012, 09:10 AM
luki here

vCash: 500
Considering how many talented forward prospects we have, i really dont think we have space fir an untalented bottom 6 guy like konopka. cizikas, ullstrom and martin will be a perfect 4th line.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
First off, I am surprised I didn't see Anders Lee's name mentioned even once, and even more surprised Brock Nelson wasn't mentioned either. I think Anders Lee may be just as close to being ready as any of our prospects, including Nino and Strome. Lee was drafted in his overage year, then had an additional year of seasoning in the USHL before joining Notre Dame for what is now his third season. Along with all that experience, he has a physical build these other kids could only dream of. I'm not saying he definitely is ready, but the guy is bigger than Matt Martin, the same age as Tavares (which is two years older than Nino), and has been one of the best players in college hockey going on three seasons now, so I'm just surprised nobody is even mentioning him as a dark horse.
1) Loved the Lee pick and think, like you write, he might be NHL-ready next fall. However, I'm not giving him ANY thought until he's signed. Lots of reason to think he'll go the route of Schultz. I just hope he and his agent let Snow know by January what the plan is.
2) Hard to believe that Nelson has gone from high schooler to practically a PPG AHLer in less than three years. This said, I don't see him on the Island next fall. Or at least, he really needs to be better than a lot of people to be there. But, if he ends up having a consistantly strong AHL season, who knows? The dice will be rolled. However, no need to rush and we must be honest here: Chances are good that he'll have some lows this winter.

ONCE Nelson is on the Island, I do not foresee him being a right winger. Left wing is possible, but the size/hands/skating package is really dreamy for the center position. He's looking like he could be a prototype #2 center in this league.

We've already got the number one.

Quote:
I think we really want to surround Strome with a couple of our 'young vets' that could be entering their primes, to put Strome in a position to succeed. The creativity of Strome and Bailey working together, along with the jam and grit of Okposo sounds like a potentially really good second line. I am still a huge Bailey supporter. The way he ended last season gave me much hope for him moving forward.
I guess I'm going to keep hounding on it, but me do be thinking very strongly that we'll ultimately be seeing Strome on JT's wing. We have lots of center strength and if Nelson continues to develop into that stud #2 center with size, then the Isles will look to get JT and Strome creating some magic together as much as possible.

And I don't see JT being the guy who's moved to the wing to make that happen.

Quote:
Defense.........
Not really worried here. I suspect we're going to see some additions from the outside, despite Visnovsky and Carkner. Only Streit, Hamonic and MacDonald are to be counted on at this point. The new CBA should free up some Dmen around the league who can be had on the cheap.

Especially the loss of de Haan is making this perhaps all the more necessary.

What I don't foresee is Reinhart being anywhere near the Island. Dmen take time. Big boy Dmen take even more.

One thing we shouldn't forget: When this league is up and running again, I think it's safe to assume that the floor and budget cap will be lower than they were supposed to be this year. This should have a bit of a trickle down effect as in, some teams will need to cut certain salaries and thus, a few players will be had cheaply or acquirable for lesser-paid NHLers/prospects.

We have lots of both.

With Brooklyn ensured, I believe we'll finally see Snow a bit more active in acquiring most particularly a stud for the blueline at a very affordable price. In fact, I'd go so far as to say we may see, say, Bouwmeester and a kid like Bogosian both be brought in for prices most we say favor the Isles.

I do not foresee any of Tavares, Strome, Nelson, Cizikas, Hamonic, Niederreiter, Martin, or Reinhart being part of any movement. I can easily see Okposo, Bailey, Grabner and Nielsen being part of deals.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
you won't be seeing the version of wang that avoids spending in any way possible anymore with a stable future past 2015 in a new arena
I completely agree I think it is going to be very exciting. This is why I think it is near impossilble to predict next season's roster. I think if they settle this dispute and play this year tha the Isles may make moves for this season as well.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:16 AM
luki here

Quote:
coming out of this lock out the isles will be projected to be a top 6 team in the east, the sharks also had a lot less, the isles have a fan base, a core and a brand new arena in brooklyn, in the past the questions ufa's always asked garth was where will you be after th 14-15 season and now he has a more than acceptable answer
Nice crystall ball! Seems to be blue and orange tinted
Though...

Old
11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
Nice crystall ball! Seems to be blue and orange tinted
Though...
well wang was going after big free agents until last years referendum, that was shot down, the big free agents never signed here because they were always asking what was going to happen past 2015

i dont realistically think the isles get perry but i do think they have a realistic chance at getting horton and scuderi

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:35 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
well wang was going after big free agents until last years referendum, that was shot down, the big free agents never signed here because they were always asking what was going to happen past 2015

i dont realistically think the isles get perry but i do think they have a realistic chance at getting horton and scuderi
You're the same person that said that if Horton was traded to the Islanders he would threaten to retire

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:18 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
To your point about Strome, what does it matter what all the other picks will be in the NHL by next year? Good for those teams, but essentially giving him the job next year without proving he can handle it, I don't think that's a good thing. He's playing great right now and I am definitely excited about his future, but easing him in to an important spot in the lineup is a much better situation IMO - a situation where he can achieve some sort of success and build confidence rather than getting it destroyed like we saw last year with Nino. If Strome is ready, then he's ready. Assuming that he'll be ready, I can't pull the trigger on that.
It doesn't matter what other teams are doing with their top prospects, but to expect Strome to spend a year in the AHL when every other top-10 pick from that draft already have a would-be year of NHL experience(if not for the lockout) under their belts is just unrealistic. If your argument was to play him if he's ready or send him to the AHL if not, then I apologize. I interpreted it as you wanting him to spend a full year in the A no matter what.

As far as Nino goes, I think it's a completely different situation. Nino had just turned 19 at the start of last season. At the start of next year, Strome will be a couple of months over 20. It might not sound like much, but around that age one year makes a pretty big difference. On top of that, if Strome is up here he'd be playing in a top-6 role, not being wasted away on the 4th line. Unfortunately for Nino, he already had the build and had the playing style that made the coaching staff believe he would be fine in a 4th line role. I highly doubt they would make that mistake with Strome.

Quote:
As for Reinhart, your reasoning sounds much like the reasoning behind Nino staying up last year. I definitely think he can gain from another year in the WHL. Play him 30 minutes a game there and then see if he's ready for NHL duty then. If we learned anything from a tweener prospect and the decision to keep them in the NHL or Juniors (when the AHL is not an option), I'd rather send him back. He's someone the organization is looking to be a horse on the blue line for a long, long time... waiting another year for him to arrive isn't going potentially destroy his confidence and game like rushing him to the NHL would.
I honestly was fine with Nino playing at the NHL level last year. I would have liked for him to have been used in a different role, but for whatever reason that was never tried. He had actually looked pretty good at the beginning of the season, but after coming back from the injury he just couldn't find his game. No doubt his confidence must have gotten crushed, but I don't think that means he can't or won't still be a great player.

As bad as rushing players and hurting their confidence may be, I think letting them spend too much time in Juniors where they may get complacent is just as bad. I also wouldn't be surprised if players like that, who feel that they deserve to make a team only to be cut and sent back to Juniors, have their confidence crushed in a different way. IMO, this isn't an exact science and each player is different, which is why it's so hard to predict which prospects will make it and which won't. Only time will tell how things play out for Reinhart, but right now I wouldn't be shocked if he makes the team next season.

Quote:
I'm very curious though with how Reinhart is handled. So far, Snow's Isles have been fairly patient with the defenseman. Hamonic spent another 2 years in Junior after being drafted and half a season at the Bridge. CDH (injuries did play a role with him), but he hasn't been rushed. Donovan too. Granted we haven't had a premium kid like Reinhart in the mix, but so far the trends are indicating to me that they'll bring him along slowly. At least I hope that's the case because screwing up Reinhart's development would really suck, he's an important piece for the future.
I think the UFA market will determine a lot, however I have been surprised with how slowly deHaan had been brought around. I figured they would have given him a shot last season, only to see them sign Staios right before the start of the year. Reinhart may end up being a different case, but in the end you might be right.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:54 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
You're the same person that said that if Horton was traded to the Islanders he would threaten to retire
thats because he threatened to retire while a panther if he wasn't traded, the expectations of the isles are going to be alot higher now

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:28 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
thats because he threatened to retire while a panther if he wasn't traded, the expectations of the isles are going to be alot higher now
Please show me a link to that. If that's true, then I apologize. If not, stop spewing crap.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
1)What I don't foresee is Reinhart being anywhere near the Island. Dmen take time. Big boy Dmen take even more.
Keep in mind, big smart, physically developed dmen like Reinhart make the show quicker than most. Take Schenn as an example and he is far less mobile or intelligent as Reinhart. Seabrook is a good example and would've made it sooner had it not been for the lockout in 04-05. Then you consider the need and cap hit he provides, I would bet on it.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Keep in mind, big smart, physically developed dmen like Reinhart make the show quicker than most. Take Schenn as an example and he is far less mobile or intelligent as Reinhart. Seabrook is a good example and would've made it sooner had it not been for the lockout in 04-05. Then you consider the need and cap hit he provides, I would bet on it.
I guess that's surely possible for just those reaons, although I'm hoping that, in light of the Brooklyn news and the expectation that some type of lowering of the cap will take place, the bolded reason won't play any role in it whatsoever.

Another question is, will he be readier and better than de Haan, Donovan, Ness and maybe even guys like Pedan and Pokka next fall?

I just haven't been watching him this fall, so I really can't say how sound and ready he looks for the pro game at the NHL level.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:18 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
Considering how many talented forward prospects we have, i really dont think we have space fir an untalented bottom 6 guy like konopka. cizikas, ullstrom and martin will be a perfect 4th line.

martin - cizikas - jounseuu

that would be a perfect 4th line. ullstrom is not very physical (correct me if i am wrong.)

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:42 AM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I agree with this. I see Reinhart taking a path to the NHL much like the one Gudbranson took. Get drafted, spend one more year in Junior Hockey and then make the jump to the NHL.

At worst, I would expect Reinhart to at least get a 9-game tryout at the start of the season to make sure he looks like he belongs. If the coaching staff doesn't think so, send him back to the Dub and he'll at least know what he has to work on just from seeing 9 games of NHL action.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:02 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
martin - cizikas - jounseuu

that would be a perfect 4th line. ullstrom is not very physical (correct me if i am wrong.)
ullstrom can definitely show some desperation and bang the body about as part of his high compete level, but i think you are right; a hitting, body using JJ would definitely be a upgrade over ullstrom. I guess "perfect" was a very loose description

gotta say, never saw that JJ. He must have been born on finnish ice.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
It doesn't matter what other teams are doing with their top prospects, but to expect Strome to spend a year in the AHL when every other top-10 pick from that draft already have a would-be year of NHL experience(if not for the lockout) under their belts is just unrealistic. If your argument was to play him if he's ready or send him to the AHL if not, then I apologize. I interpreted it as you wanting him to spend a full year in the A no matter what.

As far as Nino goes, I think it's a completely different situation. Nino had just turned 19 at the start of last season. At the start of next year, Strome will be a couple of months over 20. It might not sound like much, but around that age one year makes a pretty big difference. On top of that, if Strome is up here he'd be playing in a top-6 role, not being wasted away on the 4th line. Unfortunately for Nino, he already had the build and had the playing style that made the coaching staff believe he would be fine in a 4th line role. I highly doubt they would make that mistake with Strome.

I honestly was fine with Nino playing at the NHL level last year. I would have liked for him to have been used in a different role, but for whatever reason that was never tried. He had actually looked pretty good at the beginning of the season, but after coming back from the injury he just couldn't find his game. No doubt his confidence must have gotten crushed, but I don't think that means he can't or won't still be a great player.

As bad as rushing players and hurting their confidence may be, I think letting them spend too much time in Juniors where they may get complacent is just as bad. I also wouldn't be surprised if players like that, who feel that they deserve to make a team only to be cut and sent back to Juniors, have their confidence crushed in a different way. IMO, this isn't an exact science and each player is different, which is why it's so hard to predict which prospects will make it and which won't. Only time will tell how things play out for Reinhart, but right now I wouldn't be shocked if he makes the team next season.

I think the UFA market will determine a lot, however I have been surprised with how slowly deHaan had been brought around. I figured they would have given him a shot last season, only to see them sign Staios right before the start of the year. Reinhart may end up being a different case, but in the end you might be right.
I go by the belief that when a person has the talent to do the job, they get it. It works as a system, in hockey or medicine.

Now if Nino were a med school student and not doing very well with sutures and incisions, PLEASE let me know how the open heart surgeries go since you don't like practice and making the effort to be qualified.

NINO WAS AWFUL! He did not belong in the AHL, nevermind NHL, but with our history of burning prospects I can only shake my head and raise the shot glass to this sentiment expressed above. No offense.

When we treat roster spots like valuable things one must fight to get instead of rights of passage again, we return to the days when rookies were forced to get much, much better to get ice time. That means the teams got much, much better.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:45 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I agree with this. I see Reinhart taking a path to the NHL much like the one Gudbranson took. Get drafted, spend one more year in Junior Hockey and then make the jump to the NHL.

At worst, I would expect Reinhart to at least get a 9-game tryout at the start of the season to make sure he looks like he belongs. If the coaching staff doesn't think so, send him back to the Dub and he'll at least know what he has to work on just from seeing 9 games of NHL action.
How about we get better staff to judge the rookies and not play them unless they are ready? Why take the chance of losing 9 games every year to do looksies when we can treat those nine games as must haves? Wouldn't you rather have the best lineup possible every game no matter what rather than an extended training camp every lottery year to see if we won't suck in the future.....maybe.....if the rookies pan out?

We gotta stop being the Milbury/Snow years Islander team and start being the Torrey years Islander team. (I believe one group did better than the other group)

Old
11-09-2012, 01:49 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I go by the belief that when a person has the talent to do the job, they get it. It works as a system, in hockey or medicine.

Now if Nino were a med school student and not doing very well with sutures and incisions, PLEASE let me know how the open heart surgeries go since you don't like practice and making the effort to be qualified.

NINO WAS AWFUL! He did not belong in the AHL, nevermind NHL, but with our history of burning prospects I can only shake my head and raise the shot glass to this sentiment expressed above. No offense.

When we treat roster spots like valuable things one must fight to get instead of rights of passage again, we return to the days when rookies were forced to get much, much better to get ice time. That means the teams got much, much better.
What sentiment is that? Giving a kid a shot if you think he can both be successful AND help the team? Like I said in that post, Nino looked good until the injury. After that, yes, he had a huge stretch where he was awful(although I do think he found his game towards the end of the year). Either way, playing 10 minutes a night with Jay Pandolfo and Jessica Tandy didn't necessarily help him much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
How about we get better staff to judge the rookies and not play them unless they are ready? Why take the chance of losing 9 games every year to do looksies when we can treat those nine games as must haves? Wouldn't you rather have the best lineup possible every game no matter what rather than an extended training camp every lottery year to see if we won't suck in the future.....maybe.....if the rookies pan out?

We gotta stop being the Milbury/Snow years Islander team and start being the Torrey years Islander team. (I believe one group did better than the other group)
Why do you treat everything so black-and-white? You talk as if there is a ZERO percent chance of Strome or Reinhart being the least bit effective next season if they make the team. Look at Hamonic from 2 years ago. A lot of people wanted him to spend two full seasons at the AHL level to get his feet wet. He ended up getting the call mid-way through that first season and turned out to be our 2nd best NHL defenseman.

I get that you want to win. I do too. But it's not like this team is going to go out and bring in a Ryan Getzlaf to be our 2nd line center if they feel Strome isn't ready. They would bring in another Rolston, or a Reasoner, or a Boyes. If you don't think that Ryan Strome at the age of 20/21 would give us better production than those types of players, I think you severely underrate this kid(or just prospects in general).

As far as this team needing to stop being the Milbury/Snow Islanders, I'd argue that your philosophy is much closer to Milbury's, whereas Snow's is closer to Torrey. Milbury was the anti-prospect. He wanted proven, veteran talent even if it meant trading the world for it. Snow has shown a commitment to youth, much like Torrey had. Though, unlike Torrey, Snow hasn't made the few tweaks here and there to get this team over the hump, although IMO there is still time for that to be done.

Sooner or later this team will begin to be stocked with home-grown talent, so much so that it will prevent quality prospects from even getting a shot here. That's when I think Snow will look to examine the trade market. But as of this moment, I'm perfectly content with how he's handled building this team. Whether or not you think things have been taking too long, it's nearly impossible to say that this team isn't in the best shape it's been in almost 20 years.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:11 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
I can see Reinhart suiting up for the Isles next year. I'd rather see him play bottom pairing minutes working on his mobility and positioning against pro players than physically dominating 18 year olds.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:21 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I can see Reinhart suiting up for the Isles next year. I'd rather see him play bottom pairing minutes working on his mobility and positioning against pro players than physically dominating 18 year olds.
Are you sure? This may be just my opinion but I would think its better for him to take 1 more year and perfect his game. I think that would be playing a bit more physical and getting points in the WHL.

I compare him to a Braydon Coburn. I do think he will be better offensively, but like Coburn, he is defense first, big shot and is a first unit PK and 2nd PP.

I dont think the Isles should rush their top prospects. He should get 9 games and if he impresses then maybe they will keep him.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Jester9881

I don't see Strome making this team as a center.

JT, Nelson, Cizikas, Neilsen and even Ullstrom are all better centermen IMO. Yeah, I've seen the argument that he hasn't played wing in JR, or in any of the Isles camps. What does that mean?

He's played wing in international tourneys for Canada, so it isn't completely alien to him. Go back and look at the careers of just about any winger in the NHL. I can almost guarantee that they were centers at one point or another. Look at Josh Bailey

I also don't see Nino playing on JT's RW, as he needs a playmaking RH winger there to maximize his talents.

This is how I project the Isles lineup in a couple years (depth chart)

Centers:
Tavares
Nelson
Neilsen
Cizikas

Wingers:
Moulson
Okposo
Nino
Strome
Lee
Grabner
Martin
Kabanov
Ullstrom
Persson
Sundstrom

Defense:
Hamonic
Reinhart
MacDonald
de Haan
Donovan
Mayfield
Pelech
Pedan

Goaltenders
Nilsson
Poulin
DiPietro

Where there are an abundance of prospects, expect to see someone traded to upgrade the team. I see our strength being depth at D and Wing, and our weakness being top end wingers, veteran top 4 D and depth down the middle (minor as Bailey, Strome and Ullstrom can slot there in a pinch).

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:18 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

JT, Nelson, Cizikas, Neilsen and even Ullstrom are all better centermen IMO. Yeah, I've seen the argument that he hasn't played wing in JR, or in any of the Isles camps. What does that mean?

He's played wing in international tourneys for Canada, so it isn't completely alien to him. Go back and look at the careers of just about any winger in the NHL. I can almost guarantee that they were centers at one point or another. Look at Josh Bailey

I also don't see Nino playing on JT's RW, as he needs a playmaking RH winger there to maximize his talents.

Centers:
Tavares
Nelson
Neilsen
Cizikas

Wingers:
Moulson
Okposo
Nino
Strome
Lee
Grabner
Martin
Kabanov
Ullstrom
Persson
Sundstrom

Defense:
Hamonic
Reinhart
MacDonald
de Haan
Donovan
Mayfield
Pelech
Pedan

Goaltenders
Nilsson
Poulin
DiPietro

Where there are an abundance of prospects, expect to see someone traded to upgrade the team. I see our strength being depth at D and Wing, and our weakness being top end wingers, veteran top 4 D and depth down the middle (minor as Bailey, Strome and Ullstrom can slot there in a pinch).
I think a good 2nd line center or top line winger (depending on where Strome plays)and veteran D-man added to this roster, assuming Poulin is a good starter by that time, and the team will be a serious contender. Grabner can easily be traded for the D-man and Monahan, Lindholm, Barkov... can all solve the center problem.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Are you sure? This may be just my opinion but I would think its better for him to take 1 more year and perfect his game. I think that would be playing a bit more physical and getting points in the WHL.

I compare him to a Braydon Coburn. I do think he will be better offensively, but like Coburn, he is defense first, big shot and is a first unit PK and 2nd PP.

I dont think the Isles should rush their top prospects. He should get 9 games and if he impresses then maybe they will keep him.
See? Billy Idol gets it?

Old
11-10-2012, 02:24 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

Centers:
Tavares
Nelson
Neilsen
Cizikas

Wingers:
Moulson
Okposo
Nino
Strome
Lee
Grabner
Martin
Kabanov
Ullstrom
Persson
Sundstrom

Defense:
Hamonic
Reinhart
MacDonald
de Haan
Donovan
Mayfield
Pelech
Pedan

Goaltenders
Nilsson
Poulin
DiPietro

The only thing is that JT needs a RW to dig the puck out of the corners and work along the boards. Okposo and Parenteau to a certain extent were both good at this. Strome is not.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:32 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
What sentiment is that? Giving a kid a shot if you think he can both be successful AND help the team? Like I said in that post, Nino looked good until the injury. After that, yes, he had a huge stretch where he was awful(although I do think he found his game towards the end of the year). Either way, playing 10 minutes a night with Jay Pandolfo and Jessica Tandy didn't necessarily help him much.

Why do you treat everything so black-and-white? You talk as if there is a ZERO percent chance of Strome or Reinhart being the least bit effective next season if they make the team. Look at Hamonic from 2 years ago. A lot of people wanted him to spend two full seasons at the AHL level to get his feet wet. He ended up getting the call mid-way through that first season and turned out to be our 2nd best NHL defenseman.

I get that you want to win. I do too. But it's not like this team is going to go out and bring in a Ryan Getzlaf to be our 2nd line center if they feel Strome isn't ready. They would bring in another Rolston, or a Reasoner, or a Boyes. If you don't think that Ryan Strome at the age of 20/21 would give us better production than those types of players, I think you severely underrate this kid(or just prospects in general).

As far as this team needing to stop being the Milbury/Snow Islanders, I'd argue that your philosophy is much closer to Milbury's, whereas Snow's is closer to Torrey. Milbury was the anti-prospect. He wanted proven, veteran talent even if it meant trading the world for it. Snow has shown a commitment to youth, much like Torrey had. Though, unlike Torrey, Snow hasn't made the few tweaks here and there to get this team over the hump, although IMO there is still time for that to be done.

Sooner or later this team will begin to be stocked with home-grown talent, so much so that it will prevent quality prospects from even getting a shot here. That's when I think Snow will look to examine the trade market. But as of this moment, I'm perfectly content with how he's handled building this team. Whether or not you think things have been taking too long, it's nearly impossible to say that this team isn't in the best shape it's been in almost 20 years.
The wisdom that has evaded the Islanders and many fans is that a player is first and foremost A HUMAN BEING, needing growth and stability and time to grow and refine the many traits that will make them successful in life. Just like any animal in nature.

When you consistently turn out young pups into the wild to fend for themselves, they fail a majority of the time. When you see a school of fish, the hatchlings die in an abysmal rate to predators.

Now look at elephants and lion cubs. The maturation process is slow. Methodical. There is great care in ensuring the survival of the young.

The Isles can not afford to have their youth come up too soon a la Bailey/Okposo only to have them MAYBE reach 50-70% of their potential because we can't wait until the 25th to unwrap our presents AGAIN. Reinhart will be a great talent but....has to grow. His offense is not maximized and his defense is solid. My myopic black and white view is this:

The Dteroit Red Wings wait and wait and see success with their lion cubs. The Isles have their nine game stints and can't wait for whatever reason and end up with fish food. Why not start acting like a lioness and less like we have? Are you afraid of waiting and guaranteeing a greater chance of success or can you just not be patient?

Ryan Strome has to get bigger. Want him to try realy really hard and possibly get injured? Because we don't want to see another Rolston? We'll end up signing a Rolston once Strome is on IR.

Just do it right. The way Torrey did it, the way Holland and Devellano do it. Wait, and when the time is right, enjoy the fruits of our labors.

The Isles vineyards makes great grape juice. The wine? Leave that to someone else? Perhaps you can gloss over Okposo, DP, Bailey, Nino, Chyzowski, Lindros, etc. and focus on Tavares. I can't. I look and see some kids like Hamonic develop quickly and some like Joensuu take longer (and it looks like that kid is about to start being ready for the bigs!). Is it not worth waiting for something better to you?

When Reinhart can step into camp and make someone on the roster expendable and can bring the entire NHL game from day one, he earns the 9 games. That is how you ensure you are the best. And that THEY are at their best.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Whether or not you think things have been taking too long, it's nearly impossible to say that this team isn't in the best shape it's been in almost 20 years.
Do you wish he waited longer for Bailey and Nino? Just curious.