HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2012, 02:20 PM
  #401
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
He's 6'2" FYI.
He wasn't that tall at draft combine, iirc.

Stats are always higher on junior sites, especially point totals

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 02:24 PM
  #402
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Alex Galchenyuk: 6’0.5″ 194 lbs
http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/06/...s-and-weights/

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 02:45 PM
  #403
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
That was 4-5 months ago, it's quite possible that he grew a 1/2-1 inches since then...

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 02:46 PM
  #404
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Indeed, one of the worst offenders from last year's draft in terms of lying about his height beforehand. You can see why prospects do it, though. For example, Galchenyuk listed himself at 6'2", and was hyped as a "centre with size." Morgan Rielly listed himself at 6'0", and was considered an "undersized dman." When the official measurements were made, though, Rielly was actually BIGGER than Galchenyuk - they were the exact same height (6'0.5"), but Rielly was 6 lbs heavier (199.8 lbs for Rielly, 194.0 lbs for Galchenyuk). Pre-draft listings can really influence perceptions.

With that being said, Galchenyuk's has solid size, and is strong on the puck, it's not like size is an issue with him. But he isn't as tall as he claims to be, he's much more Yakupov sized than Grigorenko sized:


ponder is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 02:46 PM
  #405
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
That was 4-5 months ago, it's quite possible that he grew a 1/2-1 inches since then...
He was listing himself as 6'2" BEFORE the draft, so I highly doubt it's some amazing growth spurt. Prospects lie about their height and/or weight all the time to create perceptions.

ponder is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 02:47 PM
  #406
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
He's 6'2" FYI.
Height 6 ft 1 in
Weight 198 lb

McTankel is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
  #407
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
He was listing himself as 6'2" BEFORE the draft, so I highly doubt it's some amazing growth spurt. Prospects lie about their height and/or weight all the time to create perceptions.
I was responding to the poster that said at the draft he measured 6' 1/2". That is probably right..but it isn't far fetched to say he might measure 6'1" or 6' 1 1/2" now...So i have no clue what you're talking about..

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 03:45 PM
  #408
CanadiensforLife
Registered User
 
CanadiensforLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Height 6 ft 1 in
Weight 198 lb
You're listing his weight from months ago...he probably got heavier by now.

CanadiensforLife is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 03:51 PM
  #409
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I was responding to the poster that said at the draft he measured 6' 1/2". That is probably right..but it isn't far fetched to say he might measure 6'1" or 6' 1 1/2" now...So i have no clue what you're talking about..
He was listed at 6'2" last season, before the draft combine, and is still listed at 6'2" now. However, when he was actually measured at the combine, he was 6'0.5". My point is that Galchenyuk listing himself at 6'2" cannot be taken seriously, because he was already listing himself at 6'2" before the draft combine, when he was clearly no taller than 6'0.5".

Most people are more or less done growing height wise by 18, and the number who grow 0.5-1" in just 4-5 months when they're already 18 would be very low. For most boys growth starts to slow significantly around 15-16, and by the time they hit 18 most boys have 0-0.5" of growth left. Of course there are outliers, there are people who grow multiple inches after 18, but they're pretty rare. It's pretty common for athletes to list themselves as significantly taller than their measurements from the combine, some people will buy that they've all simply grown a bunch at 18-19, but in reality most of them are just fudging the numbers to avoid the "undersized" tag and/or gain the "good-to-great size" tag.

ponder is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:04 PM
  #410
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
I never really payed attention to his height but was suprised to see 6'2" always thought he was just 6'.

1972 is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:16 PM
  #411
ottawa*
go habs go
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 50
Galchenyuk really took off after the first 4-5 games. I hope he continues to play like he has been lately, he's been dominant.

ottawa* is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:24 PM
  #412
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Yes, and I guess we will find out come draft day. If Gally does indeed get drafted by Habs, I will keep a Habs avatar of Gally as my profile picture for one entire year.
I guess promises are meant to be broken aren't they?
Good call, where is this guy? He needs to turn this into an avatar and start rockin it ASAP.


ponder is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:34 PM
  #413
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
He was listed at 6'2" last season, before the draft combine, and is still listed at 6'2" now. However, when he was actually measured at the combine, he was 6'0.5". My point is that Galchenyuk listing himself at 6'2" cannot be taken seriously, because he was already listing himself at 6'2" before the draft combine, when he was clearly no taller than 6'0.5".

Most people are more or less done growing height wise by 18, and the number who grow 0.5-1" in just 4-5 months when they're already 18 would be very low. For most boys growth starts to slow significantly around 15-16, and by the time they hit 18 most boys have 0-0.5" of growth left. Of course there are outliers, there are people who grow multiple inches after 18, but they're pretty rare. It's pretty common for athletes to list themselves as significantly taller than their measurements from the combine, some people will buy that they've all simply grown a bunch at 18-19, but in reality most of them are just fudging the numbers to avoid the "undersized" tag and/or gain the "good-to-great size" tag.
That's my whole point, you're acting like I said he was 6 foot 2 when I didn't. I just mentioned that he might have grown by a half inch or more since his draft measurement of 6 foot 0.5 inches..

Most males reach their adult height at the age of 20, so it's not out of the question that he grows a little more.

Anyways, it was just meant to be a point of discussion.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:44 PM
  #414
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
Does it really matter if he's 6'1" or 6'2" or 6'.05"?

PyrettaBlaze* is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:50 PM
  #415
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Does it really matter if he's 6'1" or 6'2" or 6'.05"?
I dont think it does, some may

1972 is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 05:08 PM
  #416
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
That's my whole point, you're acting like I said he was 6 foot 2 when I didn't. I just mentioned that he might have grown by a half inch or more since his draft measurement of 6 foot 0.5 inches..

Most males reach their adult height at the age of 20, so it's not out of the question that he grows a little more.

Anyways, it was just meant to be a point of discussion.
It is possible, just unlikely. I suppose for me it's more of a general pet peeve, so often you see people stating that their favourite prospect has grown 1.5" and put on 20 lbs of muscle a year after the draft, when in reality they've probably grown something like 0-0.5" and put more like 5-10 lbs of muscle. For Galchenyuk personally, his size is not an issue at all, 6'0.5" and 194 lbs is already solid, and he's likely to bulk up significantly over the coming years, and maybe even grow a touch height wise. Again, just a pet peeve of mine that you often see people thinking their prospects with average builds will turn into a Backes, Clowe, etc. body type.

ponder is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 05:30 PM
  #417
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
That's my whole point, you're acting like I said he was 6 foot 2 when I didn't. I just mentioned that he might have grown by a half inch or more since his draft measurement of 6 foot 0.5 inches..

Most males reach their adult height at the age of 20, so it's not out of the question that he grows a little more.

Anyways, it was just meant to be a point of discussion.
Grigs was 6'3'' at the combine, is he now 6'5'' since he obviously hasn't finished growing yet?

McTankel is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 06:52 PM
  #418
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis
 
Playmaker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I never really payed attention to his height but was suprised to see 6'2" always thought he was just 6'.
For me it was the other way around. He looks big on the ice IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Does it really matter if he's 6'1" or 6'2" or 6'.05"?
Exactly. I can't help but laugh every time someone gets noticeably uset about something like this.

Playmaker09 is online now  
Old
11-10-2012, 10:59 PM
  #419
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Grigs was 6'3'' at the combine, is he now 6'5'' since he obviously hasn't finished growing yet?
Wow, you're a funny guy, keep up the good work.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 12:42 AM
  #420
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,342
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Grigs was 6'3'' at the combine, is he now 6'5'' since he obviously hasn't finished growing yet?
Grigorenko is 30. He's been done growing for 10 years now, jeez.

Anyway, Galchenyuk has never looked close to 6'2'' on the ice. He always looks around 6' to me.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
  #421
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,345
vCash: 500
Gally is 6 feet tall. And btw he's probably not going to be a centerman at the NHL level.

But that doesn't change anything to how good he is right now, and how good he's gonna be in the NHL.

LeMAD is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 09:10 AM
  #422
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
why do you at that comment? its very possible Galchenyuk becomes a winger in NHL.

1972 is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 09:35 AM
  #423
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
why do you at that comment? its very possible Galchenyuk becomes a winger in NHL.
We've been looking for that big center for ages but we're going to turn him wing? No sir.

It's just a bonus that he can play wing, in case the game situation requires it such as putting all your eggs in one basket for a couple of games which Sarnia is doing with him.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 09:40 AM
  #424
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
I think he might start off on the wing when he reaches the NHL, but by all accounts, the Habs brass thinks he will eventually be a center...

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
Marc Bergevin ne s’inquiète pas du fait que Jacques Beaulieu emploie Alex Galchenyuk à l’aile ces jours. (cont.)

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
Bergevin (suite): "Galchenyuk est un centre naturel, mais s’il peut jouer à l’aile, c’est encore mieux."

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
"Evgeni Malkin est un centre, mais ça ne l’empêche pas de pouvoir jouer à l’aile à l’occasion aux côtés de Sidney Crosby..."

Quick translation:

Marc Bergevin is not worried that Jacques Beaulieu is using Galchenyuk on the wing these days. Galchenyuk is a natural center, but if he can also play on the wing, that's even better. Malkin is a center, but that doesn't mean that he can't occasionally play as one of Crosby's wingers.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 09:56 AM
  #425
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
We've been looking for that big center for ages but we're going to turn him wing? No sir.

It's just a bonus that he can play wing, in case the game situation requires it such as putting all your eggs in one basket for a couple of games which Sarnia is doing with him.
Is said its possible he could be a winger, which it is...

1972 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.