Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 07:33 AM
aresknights

vCash: 500
So that leaves 2 options PP31. Well just have to wait n see. I heard something as well but it's still up in the air.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Hagged

Read a few pages back and only mention of Maatta was that he is struggling. Does it seem he was drafted too high or are there hopes that he is just starting slow as he did last season? Was the play-offs just a fluke or are there still some positives in his game?

Old
11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Our tandem is very similar to Coleman and MacDonald..aside from the fact that both of those goalies had arguably the best D group in the OHL in front of them. Once Mark realized he couldn't win with that tandem he made a move...I think you'll see something similar this year..and the move could be getting someone they don't even have to pay for. Bailie and Patterson aren't going to lead you to the promised land as a tandem.
This year's D is very good too when healthy and not suspended. The thing with Coleman and MacDonald was that both of them gave up weak goals a lot. So far I haven't seen that from Bailie or Patterson. Look at the goalies in the Memorial Cup last year. None of them were great except for Houser (who had a bad tournament). De Serres won a Memorial Cup with SJ in 2011, and he was picked up off waivers. In that same year, Owen Sound won the OHL using three different goalies (Stajcer was OK, Zador sucked, and Binnington was only 17). Look at Windsor in 2009, they won with Engelage, etc. If the Knights can continue to play good defense, then Bailie and Patterson can be their duo. Any of the games lost so far have not been because of the goalies. You also have to consider that Hunter is probably going to make a couple moves to improve the team outside of the goalies. It will be harder this year because there are more buyers so there won't be any fleecing. Maybe.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:39 PM
mapleleaf979

Does anyone have a Liam Herbst update? How his knee is and what the plans are for this guy. He was extremely impressive last year. One of those goalies who makes the shooters make the perfect shot to beat him. He was super dominant. Im eagerly waiting to see how he does in the OHL. I think he will be fantastic.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
KnightsInsider93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Does anyone have a Liam Herbst update? How his knee is and what the plans are for this guy. He was extremely impressive last year. One of those goalies who makes the shooters make the perfect shot to beat him. He was super dominant. Im eagerly waiting to see how he does in the OHL. I think he will be fantastic.
Talked to Liam Last week

He is getting better, he is still recovering though and yet to skate. He wants to play more than anything and when he is ready he wants to battle for a position. He has absolutely NO interest in taking a junior B position without putting up a fight.

I am excited about Liam Herbst, he is a nice kid and he is very tall. Don't wish to jump the gun here but he is Michael Houser/Steve Mason material.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:38 PM
KnightsInsider93

As far as the goalie situation goes. Mark Hunter HAD TO make a move to acquire a goalie. When he did so, there was little to no goalies available. He went out and got the best goalie available on the market (Bailie).

As the season roles on, more and more teams are rethinking their strategies, and will continue to do so especially if the lockout ends. This means that more goalies will become available.

If the lockout continues Goalies like: Machovsky (Brampton), Joel Vienneau (Sudbury), Mike Morrison (Kingston). Point is, As long as the NHL Lockout is ongoing, the goalie market is non existent as far as trying to get a Top OHL Goalie. Machovsky being the only exception and that is arguable.

If the lockout ends the tides turn and goalies like: Chris Festarini (Niagara), Mathias Niederberger (Barrie), Daniel Altshuller (Oshawa) and Matt Mahalak (Plymouth) might become available.

The point is, If the Knight's are going to try and get a top goalie right now, they are going to have to pay a lot more than they would if the lockout ended, which is why I dont believe it would be smart for the Knights to go out and acquire one right now. If they do so, I believe they will have to overspend by quite a bit in order to pry one of them away from a top team.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:58 PM
hockeylegend11

2 of the goalies u mentioned,Machovsky and Niedeberger are Euros,with Neideberger an O/A to boot no way in hades do the Knights trade Maata or Zadorov to acquire a Euro goalie
I think unless Houser returns Knights will not deal for a goalie they will stand pat,with Patterson getting the starting job,just after the trade deadline or sooner
Herbst when healthy needs work might be difficult to place him in Jr B,when he has not played all year,16 year olds are like gold to B teams because of the restriction 0f 2 for each team,dumb rule

Old
11-05-2012, 03:04 PM
KnightsInsider93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
2 of the goalies u mentioned,Machovsky and Niedeberger are Euros,with Neideberger an O/A to boot no way in hades do the Knights trade Maata or Zadorov to acquire a Euro goalie
I think unless Houser returns Knights will not deal for a goalie they will stand pat,with Patterson getting the starting job,just after the trade deadline or sooner
Herbst when healthy needs work might be difficult to place him in Jr B,when he has not played all year,16 year olds are like gold to B teams because of the restriction 0f 2 for each team,dumb rule
Yes, I was more saying those goalies might become available, not that London would be interested in them specifically. Festarini interests me especially if the lockout is lifted.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:29 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsInsider93 View Post
Yes, I was more saying those goalies might become available, not that London would be interested in them specifically. Festarini interests me especially if the lockout is lifted.
Festarini is intriguing no doubt,would be an upgrade for Baille,a 93 born to boot o/a and or trade possibility seeing that I see the Knights going with Patterson and Herbst next yr

Old
11-06-2012, 10:52 AM
pinkfloyd44

Quote:
Talked to Liam Last week

He is getting better, he is still recovering though and yet to skate. He wants to play more than anything and when he is ready he wants to battle for a position. He has absolutely NO interest in taking a junior B position without putting up a fight.

I am excited about Liam Herbst, he is a nice kid and he is very tall. Don't wish to jump the gun here but he is Michael Houser/Steve Mason material.
Do you see him playing for the Nats or Tier 2 near his hometown somewhere?

Old
11-06-2012, 11:42 AM
sbrug

So 10 years ago in 2002 was the Knights' first season in the Midwest Division. Now with Brampton gone to North Bay for next season, what are everyone's thoughts on a possible move back to the West division? London would play more games against 3 rivals (Windsor, Plymouth, Sarnia) but lose games against their other 3 rivals (Kitchener, Guelph, OS). However, London could still get 6 games against Kitchener like OS/Barrie, Soo/Sudbury, and Erie/Niagara do right now. London has too many enemies.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
So 10 years ago in 2002 was the Knights' first season in the Midwest Division. Now with Brampton gone to North Bay for next season, what are everyone's thoughts on a possible move back to the West division? London would play more games against 3 rivals (Windsor, Plymouth, Sarnia) but lose games against their other 3 rivals (Kitchener, Guelph, OS). However, London could still get 6 games against Kitchener like OS/Barrie, Soo/Sudbury, and Erie/Niagara do right now. London has too many enemies.
More games against rivals? Windsor is the only one with a long long standing rivalry. Plymouth games are exciting because they have been a good team for a while, Sarnia is barely a rivalry (organization in turmoil for a while now). Move the to West would eliminate some games against our most hated rival the Rags of K-town.
Not a fan of a move.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:18 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
More games against rivals? Windsor is the only one with a long long standing rivalry. Plymouth games are exciting because they have been a good team for a while, Sarnia is barely a rivalry (organization in turmoil for a while now). Move the to West would eliminate some games against our most hated rival the Rags of K-town.
Not a fan of a move.
Yes but like I said, they would probably keep the games between London and Kitchener. Kitchener is the big rival from the Midwest and Windsor is the big rival from the West. I don't know how long you've followed the OHL but London had a history with both Sarnia and Plymouth way before OS and Guelph.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:39 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
I don't know how long you've followed the OHL but London had a history with both Sarnia and Plymouth way before OS and Guelph.
London has had a rivalry with Owen Sound for quite some time. Since back when they were in Guelph in fact..lol

Old
11-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Yes but like I said, they would probably keep the games between London and Kitchener. Kitchener is the big rival from the Midwest and Windsor is the big rival from the West. I don't know how long you've followed the OHL but London had a history with both Sarnia and Plymouth way before OS and Guelph.
I've followed since I was 7 and am 34 so approx 27 years. Re-read my comment. I know Kitchener is our big rival from the midwest (hence my rags from ktown comment) and Windsor is our biggie from the West, hence my comment there. Ask any longstanding fan and they will tell you that historically, Windsor is the biggest rival. Lately aka past 10 years, many would say they hate kitchener the most. Sarnia isn't much of a rivaly because their organization has been in turmoil for what seems like ever (see my comment)... but they are in the discussion because of aligment, geography etc.
And to Phlyer's point, Plymouth doesn't have a longer history (lets quote you: don't know how long you've followed the OHL but") than Owen Sounds franchise (formerly the Platers of Owen sound, and Guelph).
Your logic doesn't make sense to align the divisions the way you said, and then "keep games between London and Kitchener".
Anyways, its up to Branch to figure out so we will probably end up in a division with Ottawa and North Bay....

Old
11-07-2012, 08:05 AM
sbrug

Why doesn't it make sense for London to play in the West division and still have 6 games againts Kitchener? Right now the Knights are not in Windsor's division and they play them 6 times. I saw this divison specualtion in the LFPress and I really doubt anything changes. North Bay probably just replaces Brampton in the Central and then we wait until Erie or Mississauga move to Hamilton.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:50 AM
aresknights

3 on 3 weekend and against teams that can be physical. A good test for the Knights. Theyll have to use their speed, and it would be nice to get up early and force the others to play catch up.
Not sure they want to try and match the Wolves physically but they cant back down either.
Does Restoule dress tonight, to help add size and grit or does Hunter try and out skill the Wolves with his rooks.
Id go with Patterson in gosal tonight after the SO.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
3 on 3 weekend and against teams that can be physical. A good test for the Knights. Theyll have to use their speed, and it would be nice to get up early and force the others to play catch up.
Not sure they want to try and match the Wolves physically but they cant back down either.
Does Restoule dress tonight, to help add size and grit or does Hunter try and out skill the Wolves with his rooks.
Id go with Patterson in goal tonight after the SO.
I've seen Plymouth 2x this year vs Kitchener and this is a kinder and gentler version of the Whalers.
I know pims don't tell the true story but the Gnats actually have more pims than the Whale!

Old
11-09-2012, 04:05 PM
KnightsInsider93

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Id go with Patterson in gosal tonight after the SO.
Patterson starts tonight. Restoule practiced as the 13th fwd all week

Old
11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Patterson starts tonight. Restoule practiced as the 13th fwd all week
Thanks

If Restoule doesn't get in this weekend against these opponents, he may be out on a reg basis all year ( unless some moves are made or were short Fs due to injury/ suspension ect...)

Old
11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
aresknights

Not saying that's good or bad, just what I think will happen.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Hagged

Any word on Maatta? Still struggling?

Old
11-10-2012, 02:34 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Any word on Maatta? Still struggling?
He's been better as of late. We're just wondering where the goal scoring ability he showed in the playoffs is.. He's made some odd decision in his own end this year but as average as he's been he's still better then most in the O.

He's reminding me of Tomas Kaberle and not wanting to shoot the puck. The kid almost needs to be tasered after the faking of shots to get him to just pull the trigger and let it go. If he would let it go London's PP would be a hell of alot better. The pass first mentality with this team needs to be eliminated soon.

-----------------

IMO last night was a good team effort but Patterson won them the game much like Houser did the last 2 season. 2 goals in a very short time and then they sat back and let the Wolves come at them and JP made some big saves to keep that 2 goal lead. IMO Sudbury was never really out of that game with the way London played in the last 2 periods.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:32 PM
sbrug

Good games from Matt Rupert and Bailie tonight. I've said before that both Ruperts have skill to be top 6 forwards in this league but are probably better suited as third liners on championship squads. They aren't without skill and I give credit to this Rupert for taking a beating from Sefton on Friday and the Whalers D tonight. I've never thought that either Rupert is suited for powerplay point duty. But they can get it done down low. Griffith got his bell rung in the first but played the rest of the game. Hughes was drilled from behind twice (once from Wilson, who Anderson fought) and once from Aleardi (5 for checking from behind and Ferry fought him). The Knights were also unusually physical tonight. It seems the Knights like to play the game that the other teams are playing. If the other team traps, the Knights trap, if they try to open up, the Knights open up. Tomorrow will probably be a trapfest with an afternoon game and both teams travelling playing three in three. I would assume Patterson is back in net.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:41 PM
StungbySting

What's the deal with Ryan Rupert? Will he be playing in the Subway Series or is he hurt?

Closed Thread