HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

To Make Whole or Make Partial -- THAT is the question (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXV

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
FormerBruinsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
Dale Arnold ‏@DaleEArnold
Was told of an #NHL team that will MAKE $2 million if no season, and LOSE $20 million if season resumes. That's why Bettman has clout.

This again just shows that the NHL has ALL of the leverage here and is in no rush to get a season going.
not a chance this is true...i agree if they play the team could lose that much, but no way the team "makes" 2 million if there is no season...fact is every team will lose money if there is no league this year...the lockout hurts teams like the rangers and leafs for sure, but for teams like phoenix and columbus, i am sure the owners arent pushing too hard to get a deal done quickly unless its on their terms.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Puckdaddy article about Fehr's negotiation strategy.

The only time Fehr really seemed bothered was when NHL refused to talk. He loves to sit in negotiations and do everything to prevent progress to gain concessions, it seems.
Using Puck Daddy's article above as source:

Quote:
Arriving for meetings late. Taking an exorbitant amount of time to fetch a glass of water during meetings (seriously).
That'd be worse than arriving late to all of the meetings. Talk about negotiating in good faith.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:53 PM
guyincognito

It's probably the Islanders. But I have a feeling they're not the only team that would profit by not playing, hell on second thought it may not be the Islanders because of the TV deal, they may do better than that.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapeze11 View Post
Phoenix? I don't buy that argument because teams like the Rangers and Maple Leafs stand to lose a lot of money if there is no season.
I don't know, I think I buy that. According to local sources (whomever they may be), the Flyers don't turn a profit unless they make it to the second round of the playoffs.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:57 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
not a chance this is true...i agree if they play the team could lose that much, but no way the team "makes" 2 million if there is no season...fact is every team will lose money if there is no league this year...the lockout hurts teams like the rangers and leafs for sure, but for teams like phoenix and columbus, i am sure the owners arent pushing too hard to get a deal done quickly unless its on their terms.
Have you gone through hundreds of pages of their financial records?

Transportation, travel accommodation and medical bills cost around millions. Not to mention the salary of hundreds of workers and maintenance cost.

NBC's paying the NHL this year regardless of the outcome so that's still some profit for the teams now.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
There are still revenue stream flowing into team's coffers. NBC money, maybe local cable money, NHL licensed products, etc.

Its feasible.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:00 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
If they own the rink (or "manage" the rink), then this could be true as they can host events for a profit without players costs and travel. If you consider other hockey staff + scouting to cost about $8M per year, then they have to generate $10M from the rink. Over 40 events (replacing hockey games), you need to generate $250k per other event to turn that profit.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:01 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
I think that team that would make 2 million in a lockout but lose 20 million if there was a season very well could be Buffalo.

Terry Pegula handed out heavy front loaded deals. The Sabres are a hot commodity in the Western NY area and sell a lot of merchandise......hockey or no hockey.

With saying that, Pegula wouldn't complain about losing that 20 million.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:01 PM
FormerBruinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Have you gone through hundreds of pages of their financial records?

Transportation, travel accommodation and medical bills cost around millions. Not to mention the salary of hundreds of workers and maintenance cost.

NBC's paying the NHL this year regardless of the outcome so that's still some profit for the teams now.
ah never realized nbc was still paying the league this year...geez, not just the fans being the big loser in this mess, guess nbc is taking it without lube too...and yeah, i know the expenses are huge, just have a tough time believing a business makes money without being open for business...I'm just beyond frustrated and dont even know what to think anymore.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:04 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1308
Quote:
True North will make money with or without hockey. They own the MTS Centre which is in the heart of downtown and is heavily booked with concerts and other events. There are a couple of attached restaurants & their merchanise outlet (yes in Winnipeg people still buy merch in the middle of a lockout) and they own the bar across the street which has a whole whack of VLT's. My guess is they break even on hockey and load up on the rest.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:06 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Close, but no. For a guy whose contract does not expire, he is GUARANTEED his money under make whole.

So this guy is under contract for 5 years. At 3% growth, the 50/50 cap split in Year 3 is $1.7B. Meanwhile, at this time only $900M of contracts are still committed, including this hypothetical player. He will get paid first, including deferments under Make Whole from the first two years. So his pay should go down in years 1 and 2 and then go up in years 3-5 when he gets his deferred payment.

It's all the other guys who are not under contract who will suffer - the money paid to this guy will be now unavailable to UFA's. Under 3% growth the player share doesn't get back to $1.8B until year 5 so it will be suffering for UFA's for a long time.

Again, here is Kopitar's situation with REAL numbers:

Kopitar (face value, old CBA): $6.8M + $6.8M + $6.8M + $6.8M = $27.2M

Kopitar (NHL 50/50): $5.9M + $6.2M + $7.5M + $7.5M = $27.2M

Under no circumstances will Make Whole reduce the total of the face value of the contracts. ALL it does is put off paying the money owed.
Time value of money though.

11-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Long lunch??? can we hope Bill and Steve said "screw these clowns" and decided to go meet by themselves and get this done?? lol

Old
11-10-2012, 03:07 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I don't know, I think I buy that. According to local sources (whomever they may be), the Flyers don't turn a profit unless they make it to the second round of the playoffs.
They also have to overcome $65M of player salary and there's always the creative accounting.

For the low rent teams having to carry a $50M payroll is a burden (especially if gate is non-existent), so if you're coming out $20M behind or more on the payroll vs. gate ratio, it's probably less painful to not operate. If you're a $500K a night gate (which is low but not bottom rung), you're only netting $20M or so in gate and depending on your arrangement/lease, you're not getting all of that anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a handful of teams that turn a "profit" based on money that is due to them, without having to carry a player payroll.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Guessing that there's no meeting today then. 4pm now?

Old
11-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wu View Post
Hockey players know where snow is. Buisnessmen seem to forget.
The NHL's success is determined by the weather? Interesting, a temperature-based revenue split hasn't been proposed yet...

Old
11-10-2012, 03:09 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
Time value of money though.
Yes, that has been pointed out many times. Is it worth going back to de-linked proposals with no chance of being accepted?

What is the time-value of salary already lost and that continues to be lost right now? What is the opportunity cost of this whole debacle?

Old
11-10-2012, 03:12 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
ah never realized nbc was still paying the league this year...geez, not just the fans being the big loser in this mess, guess nbc is taking it without lube too...and yeah, i know the expenses are huge, just have a tough time believing a business makes money without being open for business...I'm just beyond frustrated and dont even know what to think anymore.
Like others have mentioned before, if this whole season is cancelled NBC still has to pay the NHL the full amount. However, NBC would then get an extra year at the end of the 10-year contract free of charge so the end winner could very well be NBC in the long run.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:13 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Puckdaddy article about Fehr's negotiation strategy.

The only time Fehr really seemed bothered was when NHL refused to talk. He loves to sit in negotiations and do everything to prevent progress to gain concessions, it seems.
Those cheering on Fehrs antics are his media fans such as the author of that article you quote., Goodenow with whom he is reportedly in close contact, those around Goodenow such as Ian Pulvar, his old cap hating mentor form the MLBPA and Richard Rodier ,Alan Walsh and so on.

The players are just along for the ride too bad for those whose careers wil be ended with this lockout.

The writer basically says that Fehr is being attacked by the owners for sabotaging the talks which the author then admits he is doing and in fact is cheering him on; ; the pettiness and carelessness of the careers of the players and the health of the league is off the charts.

He even admits (admiringly)what we all suspect, that the players and these negotiations have been hijacked by Fehr for his own agenda and for his ideological purposes and his "legacy..

After all he only nearly killed baseball. he can most likely kill of the NHL to the applause of his media fan boys.:

Meanwhile, the League They're the ones expressing frustration at every turn, both publicly and privately. They're the ones seen making concessions despite having the high ground.

They're the ones that seem desperate to play again, while the NHL's players support Fehr, allow their anger with Bettman to fortify their spirit and continue to find work in Europe to subsidize the loss of their NHL wages. The fact that we still have several players leave for overseas during what was framed as the most critical week of CBA talks … well, what does that tell you?

This isn't to say that what Donald Fehr's doing is right or wrong; hell, there's a part of us that really believes the entire CBA debate is a Trojan Horse for an eventual run at the salary cap.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:13 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Guessing that there's no meeting today then. 4pm now?
Has the informal lunch ended? We haven't had many Twitter updates today.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Close, but no. For a guy whose contract does not expire, he is GUARANTEED his money under make whole.

So this guy is under contract for 5 years. At 3% growth, the 50/50 cap split in Year 3 is $1.7B. Meanwhile, at this time only $900M of contracts are still committed, including this hypothetical player. He will get paid first, including deferments under Make Whole from the first two years. So his pay should go down in years 1 and 2 and then go up in years 3-5 when he gets his deferred payment.

It's all the other guys who are not under contract who will suffer - the money paid to this guy will be now unavailable to UFA's. Under 3% growth the player share doesn't get back to $1.8B until year 5 so it will be suffering for UFA's for a long time.

Again, here is Kopitar's situation with REAL numbers:

Kopitar (face value, old CBA): $6.8M + $6.8M + $6.8M + $6.8M = $27.2M

Kopitar (NHL 50/50): $5.9M + $6.2M + $7.5M + $7.5M = $27.2M

Under no circumstances will Make Whole reduce the total of the face value of the contracts. ALL it does is put off paying the money owed.
I didn't bother moving the deferred payments, for simplicity I included them in the years they would've been earned. Also, as I've understood it, the latest proposal would only guarantee the first two seasons of the contracts, using the 211M set aside for that purpose, to make the contracts 'whole'. Unlike the first 'Make Whole' proposal I was not of the impression that any additional money from the players (UFA pool) would be used to 'make whole' the contracts in the event of the 211M set aside would not cover the contracts fully. If you have any sources indicating otherwise, please share as I'd like to read it.

So with my understanding, the payments for the imaginary player would look like this when the deferred payments are moved to the correct years (and 2 % interest for one full year on the deferred salary included):

12/13*13/1414/1515/1616/17
NHLPA offer 5M 5M 5M 5M 5M
NHL offer with 7 % growth 4.69M 5.32M 5M 5M 5M
NHL offer with 5 % growth 4.6M 5.24M 5.17M 5M 5M
NHL offer with 3 % growth 4.51M 5.05M 4.95M 4.93M 5M
NHL offer with 1 % growth 4.43M 4.88M 4.68M 4.56M 4.6M
NHL offer with 0 % growth 4.38M 4.79M 4.55M 4.38M 4.38M

Old
11-10-2012, 03:32 PM
TrillMike

Sorry to do this guys, I've been busy all day. Are they meeting? Anything going on?

Old
11-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Hanklite*

Does anybody else get the sense that if the NHL were to agree to all of the players terms they would still turn around and say no then ask for more

Old
11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
NHLPA also risks losing everything by holding out for too long

Situation changes with every day lost
And in my mind it strengthens the owners position.

Players want guaranteed non linked money (and say it will save money by making forecasts on revenue growth), the owners want linked. The longer this goes on, the less we can be sure about potential revenue growth. This could easily stunt, ******, and not only set back growth, but even dip. Every day the owners will be much more leery about an agreed upon number as forecasting revenue becomes much tougher. Each day means the owners position of accepting only linkage increases, and real revenue losses will occur.

As such, each day increases the likelihood of the players losing money going forward, not just in lost games today.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:36 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Another thing I am really confused about is why no one questions Fehr's true competence. His only real experience is with MLBPA. It's not a small assumption to think all his experience immediately translates to other sports he know nothing of.
Its also important to note that for about the last ten years, MLB ball players, as a percentage of revenue, was the lowest among the big 4 I believe. If we would have accepted a deal guaranteeing players 57% during the time the NHL did, his players would have seen a 20% bump in pay over what they made.

Begs the question, is he really that good ......

Old
11-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Like others have mentioned before, if this whole season is cancelled NBC still has to pay the NHL the full amount. However, NBC would then get an extra year at the end of the 10-year contract free of charge so the end winner could very well be NBC in the long run.
So do the players get the shaft, again?

Lets say there are no games this year the owners will keep all the revenue (NBC and maybe CBC money). The league then gives NBC and CBC a free year. During that free year the owners say to the players, well there was no TV cash this year revenues are down.

Closed Thread