HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Blake Geoffrion Crunched by Jp Cote, Suffers Fractured Skull

Old
11-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

vCash: 500
What a beauty hit

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:58 PM
tony d
The franchise

Glad to see he'll make a full recovery. A scary incident for sure.

11-10-2012, 04:27 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Another Geoffrion the habs are proud to have. Get well soon Blake! Hopefully you're healthy and back on the ice soon!

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Nobody is going to fight you for a normal, "separate your man from the puck" hit. However, if you go out of your way to take a massive, dangerous run at someone, expect to fight, even if it's not illegal. Refs enforce based on the rulebook, players enforce based on the code. I think sometimes players fight over hits that they should just let go, but this one was huge, you have to stand up for your team mate here.
You stand up for your teammate by lining him up and drilling him with a hit of your own later in the game - that is the code you speak of, not mauling the guy like a wussy.

Obviously nobody likes seeing one of their own get laid out, but the hockey survived over a century without this stupidity every night. Take the number of the truck, keep it in the back of your mind, and when they opportunity presents itself, show him what it's like. Don't act like pansy and then call it a "code".

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:19 PM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

clean beautiful hit. Unfortunate that the skate added insult to the skull fracture.

RaskMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Unfortunate result, but just a ripping hit. Clean, too.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:34 PM
RobertKron

Have a look, buddy. Geez.

Huge hit. Glad to hear he'll be okay.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Nice hit but the skates should've been kept down.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
It was a clean hit. Hitting is part of the game. Why should the guy need to protect himself and fight for doing something that is completely legal? It's not like he drove the guy from behind head first into the boards.

Great hit by the way. Hope he recovers fully.
Fighting's part of the game too.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:45 PM
BobbyShehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Obviously nobody likes seeing one of their own get laid out, but the hockey survived over a century without this stupidity every night. Take the number of the truck, keep it in the back of your mind, and when they opportunity presents itself, show him what it's like. Don't act like pansy and then call it a "code".
To tell you the truth, I'd rather see somebody get beaten up in a fist fight than reliving a Bertuzzi "incident". If you're gonna target a guy from across the ice, legal or not, be ready to be pummeled.

BobbyShehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:49 PM
TNigs

One of the biggest hits I have EVER seen! Hope little boom boom recovers quickly.

TNigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:47 PM
RANDOMH3RO

Quote:
Nobody is going to fight you for a normal, "separate your man from the puck" hit. However, if you go out of your way to take a massive, dangerous run at someone, expect to fight, even if it's not illegal. Refs enforce based on the rulebook, players enforce based on the code. I think sometimes players fight over hits that they should just let go, but this one was huge, you have to stand up for your team mate here.
For a hit like this, I don't hate a teammate going in after the guy for the hit, but I don't like it either. Get his number and gun for him all night long, it's way more effective than starting a scrum. But oh my god what a hit that was. Geoffrion got blown up.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:46 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Pretty sure his skates left the ice right after the hit, not before

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
Fighting's part of the game too.
It's as much a part of the game as any other infraction that results in a penalty.

All for sticking up for teammates, but all the retaliation after big hits is overdone. What ever happened to taking a number and paying it forward?

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:14 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
You stand up for your teammate by lining him up and drilling him with a hit of your own later in the game - that is the code you speak of, not mauling the guy like a wussy.

Having a fist fight with someone is being a pansy? Why don't you go get in a 'pansy' fist fight?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:15 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
It's as much a part of the game as any other infraction that results in a penalty.

All for sticking up for teammates, but all the retaliation after big hits is overdone. What ever happened to taking a number and paying it forward?
Geoffrion is now out with a fractured noggin. He got injured by a big hit. You can't let a guy injure your teammate like that and get away with it.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:31 AM
Bougieman

The refs could stop those clean hit scrums tomorrow if they actually handed out the proper unsportsmanlike conduct penalties to the players taking part.

A clean hit is a clean hit. Hockey is the only sport where the officiating changes depending on things like "players code" and what time of year it is.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Geoffrion is now out with a fractured noggin. He got injured by a big hit. You can't let a guy injure your teammate like that and get away with it.
Speaking more in general, when a hit doesn't result in an injury. This would be an instance where I wouldn't mind seeing a scrap as much.

Still though, the logic is pretty shaky.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Nice hit but the skates should've been kept down.
I think the impact caused the skates to go up.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Having a fist fight with someone is being a pansy? Why don't you go get in a 'pansy' fist fight?
That wasn't a fight. A fight in hockey s between two willing combatants. That was one guy being a dick and mugging a guy over a clean hit, and it's pathetic.

If you're just going to jump a guy and start throwing punches because a guy threw a clean, legal hit, instead of taking the number and paying it forward like hockey players have done for decades, you're a pansy.

Quote:
That clip must have cut out the part where Geoffrion's teammates consulted the X-rays, saw the injury, and then decided to maul him. Geoffrion's teammates were too busy mugging Cote to know if he was injured or not.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:

Agree, I hate these fights after big clean hits. Big hits to me are more exciting than seeing a fight and having to defend yourself from a fight if you do a big hit I think makes some people ease up a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyShehan View Post
To tell you the truth, I'd rather see somebody get beaten up in a fist fight than reliving a Bertuzzi "incident". If you're gonna target a guy from across the ice, legal or not, be ready to be pummeled.
Very true, would much rather see a fight than another incident like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
The refs could stop those clean hit scrums tomorrow if they actually handed out the proper unsportsmanlike conduct penalties to the players taking part.

A clean hit is a clean hit. Hockey is the only sport where the officiating changes depending on things like "players code" and what time of year it is.
I wish they handed out these penalties more often. How about instead of fighting the guy, you hit him back or better yet, score a goal.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

1) it was a clean hit but a dirty landing.

2) Clean hit scrums is gamesmanship as much as it is 'Sticking up for a teammate.' They are trying to put a thought into the checkers head that checking of any kind will not be tolerated. The fighter is trying to neuter the checker. 'Play like a ***** or I'll beat you like a *****.'

3) I'm a Preds fan, Blake's legacy is Tennessee's as much as he is Montreal's. We want him to succeed. But even I have to call the hit as what it is, a beautiful hipcheck and Blake didn't have his head on a swivel.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 7511
Quote:
Agreed there is something wrong if you don't have the urge to go stand up for your teammate.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Ari91

Really unfortunate outcome. Happy to hear that his surgery went well and he's recuperating nicely. As with any injury, I hope they monitor him well and don't clear him to play before he's truly ready to.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Out of the ICU, still in Hospital observed

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote