Notices

What's to be done about Glennie?

Old
11-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Rune Forumwalker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguscertified View Post
Waited too long? For what? Glennie to be an impact player? He may be thought of as soft and/or inconsistent, but unless you have access to his brain, I'm not sure how you can argue that third point.
Pretty sure he was saying the team can't deal with for anything of value now as his value has declined to nil by this point. Which could be the case, I suppose. But I would say it's not the case as teams don't generally trade young players before they reach the AHL.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Quote:
Too early to say that for any player. Look at Ladd and Wheeler (two examples of young forwards who struggled to find their way).
Neither Ladd nor Wheeler made any kind of impact with the teams that drafted them. If I were a Glennie fan I wouldn't be as pessimistic but I'm not. I'm a Stars fan, and the Stars are very unlikely to get any kind of return on their investment.

And that's why it does matter to us where he was drafted. It was the cost if the investment.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:53 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Pretty sure he was saying the team can't deal with for anything of value now as his value has declined to nil by this point. Which could be the case, I suppose. But I would say it's not the case as teams don't generally trade young players before they reach the AHL.
His value is low, sure. But that wasn't really my point. All I am saying is that it is too early to write him off (in fact, his value being low probably supports that). No point in selling low on him as an asset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Neither Ladd nor Wheeler made any kind of impact with the teams that drafted them. If I were a Glennie fan I wouldn't be as pessimistic but I'm not. I'm a Stars fan, and the Stars are very unlikely to get any kind of return on their investment.

And that's why it does matter to us where he was drafted. It was the cost if the investment.
Yes, that is true. They are unlikely to get a return on Glennie if they choose to trade him now, definitely. But some patience and development may turn things around. Or it may not, and he may remain what he is now - a decent hockey player with some deficiencies in his game.

The cost of the investment stings, and it reflects poorly on the GM and scouts who selected Glennie. However, Glennie didn't choose to be selected 8th overall. The fact that he is struggling has nothing to do with his draft selection. I'm not really defending him - he needs to be better, especially with Dallas adding talented prospects like Faksa, Stransky, Winther, and Ritchie recently.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 06:20 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

I don't see anyone in this thread suggesting that we sell low. I also don't see anyone blaming Glennie for being drafted in the first round.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Captain Awesome

It's interesting to see a writer openly say that Glennie will probably be a 3rd liner, I have no opinion on his potential as I haven't really seen him play much, but the Stars would likely never be caught dead admitting that, and you don't see it said that much from different people covering the Stars. I was mostly disappointed the article didn't talk about his troubles lately, though.

I know it wasn't really the intent for you to do so, but it seems like poor timing to release an article about Glennie while not talking about it at all. I'd say that most of us have been very sensitive about the pick since the day it was made, and having him not play in the AHL to start the season is about our worst nightmare three years later, so I think regardless of your intention not addressing what is currently happening with him is going to leave us scratching our heads. Everything is pure speculation at this point on the subject, so I understand why you didn't. Personally, I might have waited to release your piece until we got confirmation on exactly what was going on, or until it blew over and he started playing (or didn't).

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
His draft position should be ignored when you evaluate him (not when you evaluate the scouts that selected him, though).

Draft position reflects one thing - how a player is valued at the time he is picked. Three years later it is largely irrelevant.

Too early to say that for any player. Look at Ladd and Wheeler (two examples of young forwards who struggled to find their way).

Waited too long? For what? Glennie to be an impact player? He may be thought of as soft and/or inconsistent, but unless you have access to his brain, I'm not sure how you can argue that third point.

Anyway, I understand the frustration with his lack of development. He may turn out to be a bust. However, one year of pro hockey isn't enough time to accurately judge a prospect, even one who was expected to be well ahead of where he is at the moment.
Uh No. If you're a first round pick, you're always a first round pick, and you're always going to be linked with it. It's talked about in almost every single NHL broadcasted game as well. Players who don't live up to where they should have when they're drafted get called out. Giving Glennie this free pass because he's only had one pro season is ridiculous. Every other player around him in that draft is miles ahead of him in development. (Kadri is in the same situation)

They have completely mishandled this player in all aspects.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Also remember that Glennie was projected as a top 6 player.

He's also a perimeter player, isn't physical, and can't play D. He's not a Dallas Star's type of player and never will be under GM Joe.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:11 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Aside from drafting him I'm not sure they have. They're dealing with the player and the person they have. Does it reflect poorly on the organization that a prospect didn't come to camp in shape? Yeah. However, that's not what I would consider mishandling the player that's a player mishandling his career.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:37 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
It's interesting to see a writer openly say that Glennie will probably be a 3rd liner, I have no opinion on his potential as I haven't really seen him play much, but the Stars would likely never be caught dead admitting that, and you don't see it said that much from different people covering the Stars. I was mostly disappointed the article didn't talk about his troubles lately, though.

I know it wasn't really the intent for you to do so, but it seems like poor timing to release an article about Glennie while not talking about it at all. I'd say that most of us have been very sensitive about the pick since the day it was made, and having him not play in the AHL to start the season is about our worst nightmare three years later, so I think regardless of your intention not addressing what is currently happening with him is going to leave us scratching our heads. Everything is pure speculation at this point on the subject, so I understand why you didn't. Personally, I might have waited to release your piece until we got confirmation on exactly what was going on, or until it blew over and he started playing (or didn't).
Merely an opinion - saying he will be this or that is too early right now.

It is conditioning related, as coach Willie stated. Beyond that, we don't know. Perhaps the injury prevented Glennie from training properly, perhaps he didn't put the work in. I'm not going to speculate.

Valid point though, and I will see if I can dig anything more up as the days/weeks progress. I'd imagine if/when the NHL season starts he'll have more of an opportunity, as at the very least Eakin and Vincour will be up in Dallas (and perhaps Chiasson if he can string together a few solid weeks of play before the season begins).

Old
11-06-2012, 08:39 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Uh No. If you're a first round pick, you're always a first round pick, and you're always going to be linked with it. It's talked about in almost every single NHL broadcasted game as well. Players who don't live up to where they should have when they're drafted get called out. Giving Glennie this free pass because he's only had one pro season is ridiculous. Every other player around him in that draft is miles ahead of him in development. (Kadri is in the same situation)

We obviously don't agree on this point, and on Glennie as a player (I don't disagree with your views on him, but I don't think writing him off completely is fair). Anyway, interesting discussion and it is quite obvious that he is a point of contention within the organization.

Thankfully Dallas has done a great job drafting and signing undrafted players in recent years. They don't have any future stars outside of Campbell (upside, at least), but they have a number of really good prospects in Chiasson, Dillon, Oleksiak, Nemeth, Fraser, etc.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Aside from drafting him I'm not sure they have. They're dealing with the player and the person they have. Does it reflect poorly on the organization that a prospect didn't come to camp in shape? Yeah. However, that's not what I would consider mishandling the player that's a player mishandling his career.
Fair enough.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
We obviously don't agree on this point, and on Glennie as a player (I don't disagree with your views on him, but I don't think writing him off completely is fair). Anyway, interesting discussion and it is quite obvious that he is a point of contention within the organization.

Thankfully Dallas has done a great job drafting and signing undrafted players in recent years. They don't have any future stars outside of Campbell (upside, at least), but they have a number of really good prospects in Chiasson, Dillon, Oleksiak, Nemeth, Fraser, etc.
Good discussion to have either way. We know the big boys read these threads.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:04 PM
AK87
Hall of Famer

I think its too early to judge him being a bust or not. You never know he could turn out to be a dynamite player or the latter. We should give the kid a season or two in the NHL before we can really start hating on him.

AK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK87 View Post
I think its too early to judge him being a bust or not. You never know he could turn out to be a dynamite player or the latter. We should give the kid a season or two in the NHL before we can really start hating on him.
The thing about giving him time in the NHL is that he has not proven he deserves it. He showed up out of shape (there are other rumors going around as well) to start this season in the AHL and has managed to suit up for 1 game.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
AK87
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
The thing about giving him time in the NHL is that he has not proven he deserves it. He showed up out of shape (there are other rumors going around as well) to start this season in the AHL and has managed to suit up for 1 game.
Is the reason because of the lockout and players normally playing in the NHL are taking up extra roster spots in their AHL affliate clubs that he has only suited up for 1 game?

AK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

If he's the prospect you think he is he's forcing himself in the lineup but he hasn't done that. He doesn't deserve a look at the NHL if he can't even manage to get in shape and play in the AHL. He's not a bust yet because of his age. There's still time but basically in every other way he's been a disappointment to a flat out whiff from the moment Joe N. said his name on stage. It was a terrible choice then and nothing that has happened since has shown any different.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:47 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK87 View Post
Is the reason because of the lockout and players normally playing in the NHL are taking up extra roster spots in their AHL affliate clubs that he has only suited up for 1 game?
Hull Fan knocked your question out of the park.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:50 AM
BigG44

Has N. Kadri been enough of a disappointment in Toronto for Burkie to consider a Kadri for Glennie sway?

Healthy scratch last night, no goals, out of shape to start the season .... sound familiar?

Even if Dallas had to add ...

I just don't know if Kadri is at the point of a change of scenery trade for another poor performing prospect.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Has N. Kadri been enough of a disappointment in Toronto for Burkie to consider a Kadri for Glennie sway?

Healthy scratch last night, no goals, out of shape to start the season .... sound familiar?

Even if Dallas had to add ...

I just don't know if Kadri is at the point of a change of scenery trade for another poor performing prospect.
Why would we swap for another player of the same character?

Old
11-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Sounds like a very Dallas thing to do to be honest.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:08 PM
BigG44

Quote:
At the very least it's talent for talent. Your goal is to the change shakes them up. It doesn't happen every time, but a change of scenery is helpful.

Plus, I think I guy like Kadri getting out of the fish bowel that is Toronto could find success in the anonymity of Texas.

I don't know why TOR would do the trade though. Just thought about since I know he's also in the dog house.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
Kadri:
0.82 PPG in the AHL - 101 Games
0.37 PPG in the NHL - 51 Games

Glennie:
0.49 PPG in the AHL - 75 Games
0 PPG in the NHL - 1 Game

Kadri has gotten nailed in the media but he hasn't actually preformed that horrible. Glennie on the other hand has had zero pressure and sucked really bad.

I think we would be adding another pretty good prospect to get Kadri for Glennie.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Kadri is tiny, and he's not really a GMJoe type of player if you think about it.

I understand where you're coming from, unfortunately this deal would be impossible because even Toronto wouldn't take Glennie I'm betting. Especially not at the cost of Kadri.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

After reading this thread, I would have to agree that there has to be more to this story than coming to camp out of shape. You healthy scratch him for some games to teach him a lesson, but then you play him!
I just don't know why any young prospect would show up out of shape when there is such competition for roster spots every year! Hopefully he figures things out before it is too late, if that has not already happened

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Kadri is tiny, and he's not really a GMJoe type of player if you think about it.
Perhaps, but I remember there was speculation on these boards before that Glennie wasn't their first choice and they expected (and wanted) to draft Kadri instead with Glennie being their backup plan.

It seemed like a decent enough theory from Piqued at the time.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote