HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 05:59 PM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Six-packs of Deschutes Jubelale, Ninkasi's Sleigh'r, Bayern's Oktoberfest, and various 22s.

Heaviest suitcase ever.

Sounds good. I seem to be neglecting Deschutes. Been on a Belgian kick lately.

Saw some Winter beer out already. Seems too early, but the Fall brews were out in August, I suppose.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 11-05-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 04:22 PM
PensFan6687

Belgian beer is the best! Very malty and caramel in flavour. I just got the best beer in the world according to rate beer.com and beer advocate.com.

Westvleteren 12 - You have to get on a long wait list to get this one, and I got this trappist in my hometown which is now sold out (they produced limited quantities), and has been for a while now. This 10.5 percent trappist was made available to portions of the outside world (at a hefty 100 dollar price tag for 6 330ml bottles and two goblets), to raise funds for an add-on to an abbey. It has a very dark golden hue to it.. very sweet caramel taste like most Belgian beers, with nutty and fruity notes.... very warm down the throat. Oh yes, must be served at room temperature. Crazy thing is how much of a kick it has. What takes me about 2-3 beers to get a buzz (Hey, I like being a cheap drunk, means more money in the pocket and less calories and alcohol in the system), this beer hits you right away after having one.

Edit: I just realized after posting that I am a cheap drunk, I do like spending a lot of money on the beer I buy. I prefer quality to quantity. I rather bring 3 beers to me at a party that has a lot of interesting flavours and notes to it then a 24 of Bud or Molson. It's not about the end result of getting into a stupor... been there, done that! I much prefer the ride and still feeling I have most of my wits to me.

Last edited by PensFan6687: 11-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Retrocity

Picked up a case of Great Lakes Christmas Ale yesterday. I hate that the winter seasonals are out so early, but gotta get them while you can like the fall beers. Going to try and put half the case away until December. Might be on the lookout for some Mad Elf too.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocity View Post
Picked up a case of Great Lakes Christmas Ale yesterday. I hate that the winter seasonals are out so early, but gotta get them while you can like the fall beers. Going to try and put half the case away until December. Might be on the lookout for some Mad Elf too.
Good deal. I love GL Christmas Ale. Yeah they put out all the seasonals too early. Pumpkin ales in August, Christmas in beginning of November. Also, be on the lookout for Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas. I'm not sure where it is available, but it is from Akron and is the original recipe of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. The dude that started Christmas Ale left and went to Thirsty Dog (I believe that's the story). Anyway, it's a great beer.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Retrocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Good deal. I love GL Christmas Ale. Yeah they put out all the seasonals too early. Pumpkin ales in August, Christmas in beginning of November. Also, be on the lookout for Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas. I'm not sure where it is available, but it is from Akron and is the original recipe of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. The dude that started Christmas Ale left and went to Thirsty Dog (I believe that's the story). Anyway, it's a great beer.
I've had it before, quite tasty as well. It's pretty widely available around Pittsburgh from what I've seen, did not know they were in Akron though (or that it was based off of GL Xmas Ale).
I'm a fan of Rogue Santa's Private Reserve as well.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Retrocity

Old
11-10-2012, 08:09 PM
dogthateats

I'm impressed with Founder's year round selection of beers. Perfect for this time of year.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:30 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Stocked up on booze a few hours ago. I bought a bottle of Jagermeister, a bottle of Ketel One vodka, and three 8 packs of Guinness Draught that came with these kick ass halloween Guinness glasses as some sort of promotional item.

I did see bottles of Southern Tier "Choklat" available as well but I wasn't sure if it was worth paying $10 a bottle for.

Any of y'all try it?

Old
11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogthateats View Post
I'm impressed with Founder's year round selection of beers. Perfect for this time of year.
i start thinkin about the breakfast stout in august...

the KBS is damn near impossible to find, but delicious and worth the hype. i have yet to try the CBS.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Mr. T

Belmont Station's Black Friday plans:

Quote:
We'll help brighten your day with some fine beers from the ever so popular Russian River Brewery. We will be pouring Blind Pig, Pliny the Elder, and cellared kegs of Supplication 2010, 2011, and 2012 in the Biercafé.
...and I know where I'm going for lunch.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:33 PM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

Crown Royal Maple is absolutely delicious. Got a 50ml sample bottle of it, will have to grab a 750 before Thanksgiving.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Retrocity

How strong is the maple taste? I saw an ad for it and would like to try it. I'll have to see if they have the smaller bottles in the liquor store.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:04 AM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocity View Post
How strong is the maple taste? I saw an ad for it and would like to try it. I'll have to see if they have the smaller bottles in the liquor store.
Fairly strong, but it isn't sugar sweet and compliments the typical Crown taste very well. It's interesting how much flavor they pulled out of those maple finishing barrels.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:08 AM
crane

Anyone ever try Rogue? Had a Dead Guy Ale and a Brutal IPA. Pretty tasty stuff out of Oregon.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
Anyone ever try Rogue? Had a Dead Guy Ale and a Brutal IPA. Pretty tasty stuff out of Oregon.
Yup I'm a big Rogue fan. Dead guy is quite good.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:18 AM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Very good stuff, a little expensive for my poor ass though.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Dead Guy is a great stuff. the Hazelnut Brown Nectar is solid as well. i still need to get my hands on the Chipotle Ale sometime.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Anyone ever try Rogue?
Constantly!

Give Santa's Private Reserve a try. It's one of Rogue's best beers and one of the best holiday beers out there.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Constantly!

Give Santa's Private Reserve a try. It's one of Rogue's best beers and one of the best holiday beers out there.
i'm going to be on this as soon as it stops raining.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i'm going to be on this as soon as it stops raining.
Rain? All the more reason to have a beer!

Old
11-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Rain? All the more reason to have a beer!
ha. i have some Moose Drool i can kill off until there's a lull in the storm.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Mr. T

Deschutes has Black Butte XXIV and the Abyss out right now. Two of the best beers in the world.

Old
11-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Retrocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Fairly strong, but it isn't sugar sweet and compliments the typical Crown taste very well. It's interesting how much flavor they pulled out of those maple finishing barrels.
Sounds good. Gonna have to look for it. Glad it's not overly sweet.

I will vouch for Rogue Santa's Private Reserve as well. One of my favorite winter/holiday beers. If I didn't have a case of Great Lakes Xmas Ale and Mad Elf, I would be getting that as well.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Mr. T

I stopped by Deschutes for lunch and had some Abyss. It's as good as it ever is. One day I will hook it to my veins.

For dinner I grabbed a bottle of Cream Ale from Coalition and a bottle of Fa La La La La from Double Mountain (the fact that they are bottling their beer now makes me so happy).

Old
11-17-2012, 09:04 PM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

Quote:
Somebody drank my last Dead Guy last weekend. Need to get some more, still have a couple of Hazelnut Browns though which are also great. Rogue is definitely a safe bet to try just about every one of their styles. Very consistent brewer.

Closed Thread