HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

KHL teams want to keep Ovechkin, Kovalchuk rather than return 'em to NHL?

Old
11-10-2012, 06:52 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
KHL teams want to keep Ovechkin, Kovalchuk rather than return 'em to NHL?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...echkin-in-khl/

Quote:
According to reports from Russia’s R-Sport, team president Arkady Rotenberg is prepared to try and retain Ovechkin’s services once the work stoppage is settled.

“Is there the desire to retain Alexander Ovechkin at Dynamo after the NHL lockout? Dynamo has such thoughts,” Rotenberg explained. “I heard that there are those thoughts too at the Army Sports Club in St. Petersburg.

“So we are looking in that direction, we’ll see whether it’ll work out.”

The “Army Sports Club” line is in reference to Ilya Kovalchuk, currently plying his trade with SKA St. Petersburg.

It seems SKA is equally interested in retaining Kolvalchuk’s services — since joining, the Devils sniper has racked up 26 points in 16 games.
Article also includes details on NHL team options of cancelling contract, suspending player and/or sue for breach of contract should player not return after end of labor stoppage.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
A great way for these players to show if they really care about the fans and their teams. I suspect they don't.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Guess they've never heard of contracts. I hope the teams sue them for everything if they try it.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
As far as I'm concerned, when you cancel a whole season, and then may do so 8 years later... when you stop paying a player, why can't he sign another contract? Don't attorneys often require retainer? That's just for the possibility that you might need their services. Owners locked them out, owners stopped paying them, owners broke the contract. I don't see why the player should be penalized, except that he must honor the contract if he returns to the NHL (at which time the team should have the option as to whether to honor the remaining contract also).

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:11 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

A labor stoppage is not breach of contract.

Also, for a suit, couldn't the owners ask for the sum of the remaining contract plus any loss of revenue they think would come from losing the player? Good luck paying that

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Prairie Habs

There is no way they would let themselves get left off the next Olympic team with the next Olympics being in Russia.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Good riddance on Ovechkin.

Isn't Alexander Ovechkin's heel turn amazing?

I respect and root for Sidney Crosby more now than I do OV.. Sid's face turn was an easy one after all the concussion issues.

Amazing though, who woulda thought, back in 2006 or so.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:16 PM
albator71

I have no problem with them staying Russia, Russian players don't care about the NHL and North American fans anyway. NHL clubs shouldn't draft Russian players from now on.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:20 PM
1ntrovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
I have no problem with them staying Russia, Russian players don't care about the NHL and North American fans anyway. NHL clubs shouldn't draft Russian players from now on.
What a stupid sterotype. What about Datty? And other Russians who are loyal! The NHL brought this upon themselves. Two lockouts in less then a decade. If they want to stay in Russia I can see why and I would never hold it against them.

Canadian and various other players care about the fans? I guess that is the reason we are playing games right now. That statement has to be the most uneducated one I have ever read on this board

Last edited by 1ntrovert*: 11-10-2012 at 07:26 PM.
1ntrovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:35 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I say let 'em go. If guys don't want to play in the NHL, that's entirely up to them. I'm not going to lose sleep because a handful of players want to stay home to earn a bigger paycheque.

You don't want to play in the NHL? Just go. Don't whine and moan about it, don't drag it out in the press: just go. Make a decision, and stand by it. Here or there.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:39 PM
BLONG7

Who cares...stay over there guys...the fans in these cities will still cheer for their TEAMS...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:39 PM
MadDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
Apparently neither do the North American players who are playing elsewhere, or not at all.

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:44 PM
stug*

Well i guess this is what the NHL wants to. To lose alot of good players when they run the league in such a ****** way.

The NHL has itself to blame if players dont want to play here anymore.

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:46 PM
PensFanSince1989

Hands off Malkin Magnitogorsk

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Who cares...stay over there guys...the fans in these cities will still cheer for their TEAMS...
true. but it taints, or at least leaves some sort of a stain on the league, with people knowing and liking to claim that the NHL is clearly the best league in the world, and yet they can neither acquire or retain some of their best players.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I say let 'em go. If guys don't want to play in the NHL, that's entirely up to them. I'm not going to lose sleep because a handful of players want to stay home to earn a bigger paycheque.

You don't want to play in the NHL? Just go. Don't whine and moan about it, don't drag it out in the press: just go. Make a decision, and stand by it. Here or there.
So if Karlsson said he wasn't coming back tomorrow you wouldn't care? Or is it just when it is other teams best players?

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:36 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Good riddance on Ovechkin.

Isn't Alexander Ovechkin's heel turn amazing?

I respect and root for Sidney Crosby more now than I do OV.. Sid's face turn was an easy one after all the concussion issues.

Amazing though, who woulda thought, back in 2006 or so.
Hope you're not thinking about the popularity/viability of the league in terms of two players. Or even a handful of players.

Third line guys who can grind and put up a few points along the way, the 4th/5th defenseman who eat up minutes and never hurt the team, the surprising rookies, the 4th liners who go all out for the few minutes they get a game, the fringe top 6 forward who steps up and produces when there is an injury.
That's the NHL to me.

The big names, the big point producers get the press. They do a lot to bring in the money. But the effort guys, the ones who don't get the adoration; they make the league complete. They make it the best sport in the world (to me at least).

cws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:39 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Team president: "We have thoughts of keeping him".
HFB fans: "That player doesn't want to come back!"
Ridiculous. They'll all return, except for maybe lesser players, like S.Kostitsyn or Babchuk.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:43 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Yeah, well KHL teams want really good players? that's surprising.

I bet a good deal of NHL teams would be interested in some good players they can't have because they are the property of other teams

I don't think that would work out with the Olympics, either. Let us see what happens.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:44 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

I would want Ovechkin and Kovalchuk on my team as well.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I don't think the KHL has to worry about returning any of the NHL players that signed over there any time soon.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:53 PM
RANDOMH3RO

I would be extremely disappointed if the NHL started back up and Kovalchuk wasn't there, but I wouldn't really blame him.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:02 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDOMH3RO View Post
I would be extremely disappointed if the NHL started back up and Kovalchuk wasn't there, but I wouldn't really blame him.
i'm completely owner's side but i wouldn't blame the players either. this whole thing has provided the best excuse they could have asked for if they've been longing for the motherland.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Hope you're not thinking about the popularity/viability of the league in terms of two players. Or even a handful of players.

Third line guys who can grind and put up a few points along the way, the 4th/5th defenseman who eat up minutes and never hurt the team, the surprising rookies, the 4th liners who go all out for the few minutes they get a game, the fringe top 6 forward who steps up and produces when there is an injury.
That's the NHL to me.

The big names, the big point producers get the press. They do a lot to bring in the money. But the effort guys, the ones who don't get the adoration; they make the league complete. They make it the best sport in the world (to me at least).
I never said anything like that. Just simply comparing Ovechkin and Crosby now to 6 years ago.

NHL will not be effected by Ovechkin leaving, if he does. But hes stuck in a contract, so no matter what he says, hes coming back

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:16 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
A great way for these players to show if they really care about the fans and their teams. I suspect they don't.
what about the fans in russia? either way some fans are going to lose them

um is offline   Reply With Quote