HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you be willing to lose the year for MacKinnon?

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to lose the year for MacKinnon?
Yes 96 70.07%
No 41 29.93%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
This is my year!

vCash: 805
25% of the season has been written off and the winter classic is gone. Lets have some hockey already and earn our first overall pick the old fashioned way.

1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:45 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

vCash: 500
I voted no for these reasons. Even though the NHL doesn't have anything else to go by if the season is cancelled when it comes to the 2013 Draft Lottery, it's not a 100% guarantee they will use the same system used in 2005 Draft Lottery. So wouldn't that be the Maple Leafs luck if the NHL changes the rules.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

If we were 100% guaranteed to get MacKinnon, sure I would lose the year. For a 6% chance? Nope.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:48 PM
TmlHockeyFan

I'd rather have Connor McDavid

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:51 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
for those who say we have a better chance of playing the season to get Mackinnon must believe were a bottom 5 team otherwise we have no shot at it. so unless they change the lottery system used after an NHL season is played, we have a better chance without a season as 6% > 0%

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Would you be willing to sacrifice this entire year, knowing the leafs would have a great chance to draft MacKinnon? (Assuming the Crobsy draft rules are used)

Short term pain, long term gain at it's finest.
I just want the cba to get sorted out properly so we don't have to go through another lockout for a long time. If that means the season is lost so be it. If that means the Leafs get a great prospect that's awesome. But my first concern is the league and PA working out something that works well for both and also allows the league to get out of the hole they put them selves in through stupid expansion and dumb contracts.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:06 PM
ponder

As others have noted, if there IS a season, and we make no further trades (i.e. no trade for #1 goalie), then we probably have a better shot at MacKinnon than we would without a season. The standard odds of picking 1st overall are:

Worst record: 48.2%
2nd worst: 18.8%
3rd worst: 14.2%
4th worst: 10.7%
5th worst: 8.1%

Last year we finished 5th worst, and were just 2 points ahead of 3rd worst, and 6 points ahead of 2nd worst. For the last 5 years straight, we have finished 2nd to 9th worst every single time (7th worst in 07/08, 7th worst in 08/09, 2nd worst in 09/10, 9th worst in 10/11, 5th worst in 11/12). At the moment our team look very similar to last year's team (JVR for Schenn being the only major difference), there's probably a decent chance that we could end up finishing in the bottom 5 again.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:13 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
for those who say we have a better chance of playing the season to get Mackinnon must believe were a bottom 5 team otherwise we have no shot at it. so unless they change the lottery system used after an NHL season is played, we have a better chance without a season as 6% > 0%
So a 0% chance of us finishing bottom 5 if there's a season this year?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:14 PM
RonEllisFan

A shortened season may help us with the next draft.

As I remember the last time we had a lock out, the draft was set up different, I think if you had a number 1 pick last year (edm) you only got 1 ball in the loto, but if you did not make playoff the year before you got 2 balls for the loto, anyone remember how it went down?

RonEllisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

At this point? Sure.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Suntouchable13

Would I want to lose a season for a chance to get some overhyped 18 year old kid? No... No player is worth losing a whole season over.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:37 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
As I remember the last time we had a lock out, the draft was set up different, I think if you had a number 1 pick last year (edm) you only got 1 ball in the loto, but if you did not make playoff the year before you got 2 balls for the loto, anyone remember how it went down?
Here you go.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26401

Quote:
The Draft Drawing, a weighted lottery system, was used to determine the order of selection for all seven rounds of the Entry Draft. Under the weighted lottery system, the clubs that neither qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons, nor were awarded the first overall selection in each of the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Entry Drafts, had the greatest chance of receiving the first overall selection, 6.3 per cent. These clubs were the Penguins, Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets and New York Rangers.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Would I want to lose a season for a chance to get some overhyped 18 year old kid? No... No player is worth losing a whole season over.
Its not only a single season, this is a 5 years in making situation leading up to this potential possibility.

Thanks to Burke, he has positioned the team near the bottom of the NHL standings 4 years running and so as a result of that combined effort Leafs would have a 6.3% chance of selecting 1st overall as the NHL weights the draft based on awarding the greatest odds to the teams that performed the worse over the last 3-4 years.

Simultaneously, by tanking the Leafs, he has assembled a line-up that has finished in the bottom 5 overall in 2 of the past 3 seasons including the last most recent one.. This suggests that even if there were a season this year, the team would again based on its previous track record, and bringing back the same roster be in an ideal situation to have a top 5 selection again, with the odds of winning the lottery and selecting first overall.

So its a Win-Win situation as far as Nathan Mackinnon becoming a Leaf are concerned, if the team plays or doesn't play as its record and roster give it among the best odds in the NHL to earn the right to pick him based on its previous performance as well as its projected.

11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
no I ment if we finished say 6th we would have a 0% chance

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Is there an assumption that McKinnon is > than Jones or even Barkov?

I didn't think it was that clear cut.

But to answer the question, if we were guaranteed McKinnon only then I'd still say 'aye'!

HockeyNightInBelfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:01 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Dalton View Post

But to answer the question, if we were guaranteed McKinnon only then I'd still say 'aye'!
It's pretty much a safe bet that MacKinnon is going first overall.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Edbleafs

yes
Mckinnon have the potential to became the next crosby

Edbleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:39 PM
raikk

Send a message via MSN to raikk
I almost guarantee if there is a season we will end up in 10th-11th.. I don't think we are bad enough to be last.. Don't forget we we were in the playoffs for more then half the season last year.

raikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:42 PM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbleafs View Post
yes
Mckinnon have the potential to became the next crosby
No he doesnt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Dalton View Post

He pretty much is. Id be surprised if Jones went first, if it's close a forward should always go first as dmen take longer to develop and have more bust potential. But Drouin has actually been better offensively than Nate this season so 2 teammates could go 1-2. As a Moose fan, Id be thrilled

King Mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
I think there's a 0% of us finishing bottom 5, if there is a 2012/13 season.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
I think there's a 0% of us finishing bottom 5, if there is a 2012/13 season.
How so? You might not think we will but we did just last season so there is definitely a chance. I wouldn't be shocked honestly.

Old
11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Its not only a single season, this is a 5 years in making situation leading up to this potential possibility.

Thanks to Burke, he has positioned the team near the bottom of the NHL standings 4 years running and so as a result of that combined effort Leafs would have a 6.3% chance of selecting 1st overall as the NHL weights the draft based on awarding the greatest odds to the teams that performed the worse over the last 3-4 years.

Simultaneously, by tanking the Leafs, he has assembled a line-up that has finished in the bottom 5 overall in 2 of the past 3 seasons including the last most recent one.. This suggests that even if there were a season this year, the team would again based on its previous track record, and bringing back the same roster be in an ideal situation to have a top 5 selection again, with the odds of winning the lottery and selecting first overall.

So its a Win-Win situation as far as Nathan Mackinnon becoming a Leaf are concerned, if the team plays or doesn't play as its record and roster give it among the best odds in the NHL to earn the right to pick him based on its previous performance as well as its projected.
That might be logical if you overlooked the fact we've shown ourselves to be repeatedly capable of hanging with the upper echelons over 50 - 60 game stretches, which is likely what we'll get if there is a season.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:59 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
How so? You might not think we will but we did just last season so there is definitely a chance. I wouldn't be shocked honestly.
See above. We're more than capable of running a sprint.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:05 PM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
See above. We're more than capable of running a sprint.
So we have absolutely no chance to finish bottom 5, despite the fact we haven't finished better than 22nd since 2007?

A shortened season doesn't mean anything. What if we start like we did just a few seasons ago (2009-2010). We will be almost guarenteed last. The pressure will be on every game since we have less games. Who knows how we will play especially as a young team. But saying 0 percent of finishing bottom 5 despite having a 2nd last finish and a bottom 5 finish in the past 3 seasons?

Old
11-10-2012, 07:21 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Why don't we just agree that season or not, 1st overall is unlikely and be done with it.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote