HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

139:12 And Counting, The Barons Couldn't Score in a Brothel With a Fistfull of $100's

Old
11-10-2012, 04:04 PM
ToeDrag83
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Why the hell are we splitting up RNH, Hall, and Eberle? Are we trying to lose? Don't we want to get the most out of them?

Can anyone explain a good reason for this to me?
The thought process behind it is to spread the offensive wealth throughout the lineup and perhaps have one of these 3 not playing against as difficult an opposition match up. Also, the secondary scoring has been virtually non-existent, and the attempt is to kickstart the Pitlicks, Landers, Paajarvi's etc. I have no problem with the lines, our "big 3" should be more than capable of producing on their own, I don't want them getting dependent on only being able to perform when on a line together. Granted they are (usually) effective together, but the AHL team does not have the luxuury of a 1A/1B lineup we'll be able to roll out in the NHL. They're still together on the powerplay, this shouldn't be an issue.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:09 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
The thought process behind it is to spread the offensive wealth throughout the lineup and perhaps have one of these 3 not playing against as difficult an opposition match up. Also, the secondary scoring has been virtually non-existent, and the attempt is to kickstart the Pitlicks, Landers, Paajarvi's etc. I have no problem with the lines, our "big 3" should be more than capable of producing on their own, I don't want them getting dependent on only being able to perform when on a line together. Granted they are (usually) effective together, but the AHL team does not have the luxuury of a 1A/1B lineup we'll be able to roll out in the NHL. They're still together on the powerplay, this shouldn't be an issue.
The Lander's and Pitlick's need to learn to create some offense on their own. They won't have an RNH, Hall, or Eberle to play with ever again. Their efficiency as skilled players is highly reduced when you play them with offensive black holes.

McDreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
The Lander's and Pitlick's need to learn to create some offense on their own. They won't have an RNH, Hall, or Eberle to play with ever again. Their efficiency as skilled players is highly reduced when you play them with offensive black holes.
What? Great players make bad players good. Bad players don't make good players bad. Maybe RNH, Eberle, Hall aren't as good as we thought. Ridiculous.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
I think a player improves more when placed with difficult line mates. It's like playing with an added weight. It's a testament to the skill and character of a player if they can excel playing along a black hole and not get down on themselves. The Landers and pitlicks can't be carried by RNH and Eberle forever.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:15 PM
ToeDrag83
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Granted the secondary players have a development curve of their own to follow, but what harm does it do to their development if there's a chance more capable players can give them confidence? By the same token, is it wrong of us to expect our best players can perform without being on one line?

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:17 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
What? Great players make bad players good. Bad players don't make good players bad. Maybe RNH, Eberle, Hall aren't as good as we thought. Ridiculous.
Sure, throw two of them on one line and they can probably make any Baron put up a few points. But these guys are not Crosby, and will not perform as they should when surrounded by crap. Sure they are still good players, but it makes no sense to cripple their production in hopes of triggering something with other lower players. Let them figure their AHL game out on their own. I don't think matching playing them with NHL stars helps their development much, nor hurts any of Hall, Eberle, or Nuge's. I just think we are putting ourself in a position to lose.

McDreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Good job on the GDT Bryan.

Hopefully the team gets it together and puts on a good show for all the fans who made the trip down there to watch it.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Arpeggio

Yeah I honestly don't care what kind of numbers the kids put up in the AHL, but after last night's performance, surely they (and the rest of the team) are aware that they owe it to the fans to show up tonight.

To be fair, RNH and Eberle are still both point a game players so far, and Hall is just getting his legs going after not playing hockey for seven months. Guys like Dubinsky are putting up similar numbers in the ECHL. I'm far more concerned about the rest of the team, in particular Paajarvi. Even Hartikainen is still putting up the counting numbers. Paajarvi just isn't getting anything going right now. This season could be the end of the road for several of these guys as Oiler prospects.

Arpeggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Then maybe they should have told the Oilers that they want to try playing overseas.
They all should have. I certainly would have done that in their shoes. The conversation with my agent would have gone like this:

"Steve would like you to play in the AHL this year."

"The guy who just got 89/90 in the last place sweepstakes the past three years thinks that I should play in the AHL?"

"I'll make some calls to Europe."

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Sure, throw two of them on one line and they can probably make any Baron put up a few points. But these guys are not Crosby, and will not perform as they should when surrounded by crap. Sure they are still good players, but it makes no sense to cripple their production in hopes of triggering something with other lower players. Let them figure their AHL game out on their own. I don't think matching playing them with NHL stars helps their development much, nor hurts any of Hall, Eberle, or Nuge's. I just think we are putting ourself in a position to lose.
HHE don't really care about winning or losing given their effort level in most games, I would say. It could get Lander and MPS going offensively if they played with the big guns. It's worth a shot. Offense has been poor and secondary scoring has been even worse. Even if they don't become decent players, their inflated stats could make for some good trade bait. HHE are not Crosby-level but, in the NHL, (Hall especially) they made the players around them better and still put up respectable point totals. I don't see why they can't do it in the AHL.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Marincin, Tyrvainen out tonight, Fedun and Arcobello back in the fold.

Arco gets my vote for first goal
Does that mean Hall is playing tonight then? If so, I sure hope he has a better performance then last night.

Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Alex Plante - 12 seconds into the 1st period - Eberle-esque forehand/backhand deke on breakaway.
If that happens, will you invest what little money I have for me? Because if it does you clearly can predict the impossible to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Albany Devils are dead last in the league.

Adam Henrique:
GP:9 G:0 A:3 Pts:3

Larsson:
GP:9 G:0 A:4 Pts:4

Larsson has no goals 4 Assists in 9 games.
I guess that's why Jason McIsaac hasn't been busting my chops in the AHL thread on the main board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Marincin, Tyrvainen out tonight, Fedun and Arcobello back in the fold.

Arco gets my vote for first goal
Wow, I'm surprised that Hall is playing, the plan was for him not to play BTB for the first month, this is only his 2nd week. I guess they figured that since yesterday they only played for 1 period that he should be good to go tonight

11-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Hall has to play, this is a sold out pro-Oilers crowd, nationally televised game. Throw the fans a bone, if they didn't want to play Hall back to back, yesterday was the time to sit him.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:29 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Alex Plante - 12 seconds into the 1st period - Eberle-esque forehand/backhand deke on breakaway.
Hahaha ... Good one. I don't even know if Plante could manage to make it from his blue line to the other net in twelve seconds. Seriously, I have never seen a worse skater play professional hockey (which is saying something -- Strudwick, I'm looking at you).

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:12 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
It's a testament to the skill and character of a player if they can excel playing along a black hole and not get down on themselves.
Interesting theory ... not sure that I agree, but what does your comment tell us about Hemsky who has played his whole career with one of the biggest black holes ever seen in Edmonton?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:13 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Does that mean Hall is playing tonight then? If so, I sure hope he has a better performance then last night.

Update on that situation, sounds promising.
Quote:
Eric Rodgers ‏@AHLBarons
It was mentioned last night that the #Oilers thinking on Hall changed to "play it by ear" whether he plays back-to-back games.

@AHLBarons
Sounds like he's in tonight, since there hasn't been anything to the contrary. #OKCBarons struggling to find some success. #Oilers

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Interesting theory ... not sure that I agree, but what does your comment tell us about Hemsky who has played his whole career with one of the biggest black holes ever seen in Edmonton?
I wouldn't dispute it for some players. I think if anything Doug Weight learned to be the best he could be here playing with a not very good team and over time some less than stellar linemates. By the time he was getting a regular diet of good players like Guerin he was carving the NHL up.
My take is that the lack of help caused him to get that much better, compete to try to make things happen on his own, did, and then when he got some better linemates he was over the top brilliant and a 100pt player.

The whatever doesn't kill you school of thought perhaps.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Da McBomb

Knowing Hall, he probably told the coach he wanted to play tonight. Nationally televised game and almost a whole week off before last night's game. Plus the poor showing last night is probably eating him up.

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

let's score a goooooaaaal
oh bloody hell let's score a goooooaaaal

good thing is that i'm at work this weekend, otherwise i just wouldn't be able to justice staying up from 7 am on.

let's score a goal, бестолковые бездельники, let's score any miserable, ugly, elderberry-smelling goal...

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:26 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Geoffrion got destroyed. Even without the skate to the head, he got crushed

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:41 PM
BoldMcNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Just finished watching the brimming-with-potential Raptors suck a high hard one; breaking out the whiskey to prep for the potential Barons-get-shutout hatty. Oilers youth are leading the charge?

All right, life, bring it on.

BoldMcNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Just finished watching the brimming-with-potential Raptors suck a high hard one; breaking out the whiskey to prep for the potential Barons-get-shutout hatty. Oilers youth are leading the charge?

All right, life, bring it on.
I really appreciate the Leafs, Raptors and Blue Jays. They do a good job of distracting the rest of the country from the Oilers' general awfulness.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Mav3rick07
Hall-McDavid-Yakupov

vCash: 83
Ugh, why does Hall have to be a healthy scratch tonight?

HD Game and my favorite player is not playing .... awesome ... gotta love being a hockey fan ...

Mav3rick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

i dunno, but is there a chance that Todd Nelson is a bit crap at coaching actually? why did he need to scratch Hall? maybe he is frustrated that things aren't particularly going his way and a little desperate?

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:57 PM
BoldMcNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I really appreciate the Leafs, Raptors and Blue Jays. They do a good job of distracting the rest of the country from the Oilers' general awfulness.
I think their preseason phenom is now shooting 8%.

What is that equivalent in hockey terms? Scoring on your own net in two consecutive games?

...I've said to much.

BoldMcNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote